Old 06-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #41
i heart latin chicks

You lucky dog, my favorite place by far
nbennettksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #42
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous425 View Post
i'm getting married in maui later this year. i'm doing a wedding pkg that includes beach ceremony, 1 hr of photography, video, limo, music, and dinner afterwards. add in the hotel, car, and other expenses i should still be well under 10k.

Congratulations!! We were thinking Maui or Lanai, whichever fits our budget. If you don't mind can you PM me the place you booked it? Thanks!
coykiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #43
Registered Member

Thanked 1,635 Times in 1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuRtYwUrKs View Post
Maui is amazing...I also stayed in Ka'anapali. Like someone said before Mama's Fish house is an absolute must. Besides having some of the best seafood i've ever had, the woodwork in that place is crazy. They actually have a full time carpenter on site just to maintain all of it. When we were there we did the Haleakala bike ride. It was amazing. they drive you up the volcano to see the sunrise and then you take the ride down on a cruiser bike. You stop off at various little towns at the bottom of the volcano for some shopping and lunch. Highly recommended.

One thing to consider too. Jan, Feb, March & April is typically Whale season in Maui. This is awesome for whale watching. I mean you literally can't go 1/2 hr without seeing a whale breach out over the ocean. The downside is that a lot of the water sports such as jet ski rentals, paragliding etc.. are suspended. They don't want you running into or scaring the whales.

my friend was talking about that he is going in August and was saying he and his wife are going to try it...

Ka'anapali I'm talking to one of the guys at work, his wife's family is from Hawaii and he sent me a shit load of different things. maps of Maui maps of all the condos that are out there the VRBO site and just various different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed View Post
One thing I'll say about Luau's.

For the most part....I'd say avoid them. But if you're really wanting to see one and you end up going to Maui...go to the Old Lahaina Luau. And book it now. It's the best luau I've been to for sure. A lot better than the cheesy things they end up doing many times at hotels.

Really maybe I'll look into it. Cant wait to get home to start checking out these condos to see if I can rent one..
Flipster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #44
Banned

Maui is more laid back and relaxing. Oahu is nice too but its always crowded with tourists everywhere you go. Lived in Oahu for 3 years.
LasVegasTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #45
Alright, alright, alright

Thanked 1,280 Times in 831 Posts
Maui > Oahu

Only been to Kauai and Maui. Friends who've been to Maui and Oahu strongly recommend Maui over Oahu. Just went Maui in 2009 and 1990.

I recommend what most others have already said, go to Haleakala, road to Hana, northeast side for surfing. One thing we did on this trip I strongly recommend is driving the coastal road on the west side of the island. It is different but has almost as much beauty as the road to Hana but different.
Legend2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #46

Thanked 8,161 Times in 5,980 Posts
Maui is my least favorite. Big Island is by far my favorite, followed by Oahu, Kauai and Maui. What are your expectations when flying out? What do you plan to do.. hikes, beaches, just stay in the room and oof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TLdcc View Post
dude, hawaii is boring... now, st johns, thats the place to be

@ comments about the single lane on the maui north shore.
Majofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majofo View Post
Maui is my least favorite. Big Island is by far my favorite, followed by Oahu, Kauai and Maui. What are your expectations when flying out? What do you plan to do.. hikes, beaches, just stay in the room and oof?

@ comments about the single lane on the maui north shore.
If you're worried about too many tourists on Oahu, don't hit up Front St. in Lahaina on the weekend. Better yet, check it out on Halloween, there's nobody around. Wailea is just as touristy as any place on Oahu. The place to stay is Ritz-Carlton Kapalua, away from the hordes in Kaanapali and Wailea. Paia, upcountry Maui and Hana are nice but Joe and I know places on Oahu that will compare to any of those.

BTW Endo, last time I circumvented east Maui around Hana it was 2 lanes with the highway from Kahalui having 4 lanes. When did you go? There were some bridges where it was 1 lane though. We had 6 of us in a Durango, the 2 chicks in the 3rd row where getting motion sickness coming back on the south route to Lahaina LOL.

Anyways, Kauai>*
Dr. Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:56 AM   #48
Registered Member

if you go to oahu, you have to hit up lanakai beach. it's worth the drive.
its rayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer rick View Post

BTW Endo, last time I circumvented east Maui around Hana it was 2 lanes with the highway from Kahalui having 4 lanes. When did you go? There were some bridges where it was 1 lane though. We had 6 of us in a Durango, the 2 chicks in the 3rd row where getting motion sickness coming back on the south route to Lahaina LOL.

Anyways, Kauai>*
I was there back in 2008 so maybe things have changed?

I'm referring the the stretch of where HW 330 ends and HW 31 starts. I think it's called Piilani Hwy. The first 20-30 mile stretch of that highway was unpaved and..
endo022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #50

Why the eff would you take that road Endo? It's boring and unpaved.. You're lucky you didn't get a flat and have to push your rental car back to the airport.

That's nothing compared to driving the unpaved backroads in Puna. Not really frightening like driving off a cliff but it's a mistake I'll never make again.. one wrong turn and we would have never been seen again. Those mokes don't mess around when you try poking your head around their crops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer rick View Post
If you're worried about too many tourists on Oahu, don't hit up Front St. in Lahaina on the weekend. Better yet, check it out on Halloween, there's nobody around. Wailea is just as touristy as any place on Oahu. The place to stay is Ritz-Carlton Kapalua, away from the hordes in Kaanapali and Wailea. Paia, upcountry Maui and Hana are nice but Joe and I know places on Oahu that will compare to any of those.

Anyways, Kauai>*

Funny you say that Rick.. a girl who wanted to check out red sand beach was riding in the back the last time we went.. she had bad motion sickness. She had to force herself to sleep to keep from yakking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by its rayden View Post
if you go to oahu, you have to hit up lanakai beach. it's worth the drive.
Linakai and KBP are nice, but I would say negative to this.. probably a null point since he'll have to park a mile a way to get to a beach that is pretty much the same all around.. except not flooded with the "locals" from Kailua.

Nalo's is the beach to go.. good waves.. not too many people. The beaches around Rick's place are pretty nice too.. but if you see a bunch of guys hanging out, "camping" at the beach.. gtfo.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #51
Registered Member

Thanked 3,400 Times in 1,660 Posts
Oahu has the best orange soda..
Mr. Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #52
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majofo View Post
Why the eff would you take that road Endo? It's boring and unpaved.. You're lucky you didn't get a flat and have to push your rental car back to the airport.

That's nothing compared to driving the unpaved backroads in Puna. Not really frightening like driving off a cliff but it's a mistake I'll never make again.. one wrong turn and we would have never been seen again. Those mokes don't mess around when you try poking your head around their crops.
It was the 2nd time that I went on that road. The first time back in '98, I was just the passenger and it was a local (wife's cousin) that was driving it. The 2nd time around...there's no way that I would have pass the opportunity up ...rental schemental.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #53

Old 06-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #54
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo022 View Post
I was there back in 2008 so maybe things have changed?

I'm referring the the stretch of where HW 330 ends and HW 31 starts. I think it's called Piilani Hwy. The first 20-30 mile stretch of that highway was unpaved and..
LOL I remember a lot of the southern route heading back west from Hana being super rough and really twisty. I know what you're talking about, the stretch past the 7 Sacred Pools IIRC. Been awhile.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #55
Registered Member

As I drove through that part back in 2008...Woody Harrelson was in a yellow VW bug going the opposite way. He was on the left side of the road...with the ocean on his right side.

I wonder if I should have put him to the "white man can't jump" test if I had nudged his bug just a bit and see how fast he jumps out of the car:devilgrin
Old 06-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #56

He was probably high as fuck. He wasn't jumping anywhere.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #57
Registered Member

I'm headed to Hawaii next Saturday (12/1) for a week. We're spending 5 nights in Oahu and 2 nights in Maui. Lots of helpful info in this thread (I've already made our reservations for Mama's Fish House).

Anything to add to this thread from you guys who have been before? It's our first trip.

Thanks.
mrsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:16 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteve View Post
I'm headed to Hawaii next Saturday (12/1) for a week. We're spending 5 nights in Oahu and 2 nights in Maui. Lots of helpful info in this thread (I've already made our reservations for Mama's Fish House).

Anything to add to this thread from you guys who have been before? It's our first trip.

Thanks.
Maui is by far my most favorite. There's just so much to do that I regrettably didn't get to do half of what I planned to do on my two day stay.

Haleakala Crater is alright when it's not sunset/sunrise. Since you're going around this time, don't do the sunrise. You'll be more concerned about the cold than the sunrise. When I went for the sunset, there was a pay booth. It's an honor system really because at that time no one was there at the booth. I paid it. Also the drive was beautiful.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7157773...57631869627668

The beach near Whalers Village is by far the CLEANEST and CLEAREST beach I've been do.

You'll LOVE the drive to Hana (aka Road to Hana). Don't worry, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Just respect the road and signs and you'll be alright. It was just a gorgeous drive. I didn't do the whole route because I needed to get back on the cruise ship. Stopped half way cause some people on the side of the road were BBQ'ing some bomb-ass chicken.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7157773...in/photostream

Iao Valley is alright too. Very short hike. There's an entry fee but you can literally park right outside of the pay booth and walk in.

If you're a picture person, visit the Garden of Eden. It's $15/person entry fee but my God, it was totally worth it for me.

The hike to Twin Falls was pretty nice. It's a much longer hike than Iao Valley but you get to see some nice stuff along the way.

And there's still a bunch of stuff that I didn't get to do. My wife and I went on a hunch for the most part and we still ended up doing and seeing some great stuff.

Bring a camera and enjoy yourself!
mdkxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 AM   #59

Forgot to mention that Road to Hana is just that, driving to Hana. If you don't have plans in Hana, it's basically just a very long and twisty ride that may take up all of your day.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #60
Senior Moderator

Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:

Thanks.
If you have time in Maui, go zip-lining.
Ken1997TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #61
sup

If you do the road to Hana (it's about the journey, not the destination), make sure you go all the way around, as opposed turning back the way you came when you get to Hana. I know the rental car companies don't like it, but I had some shitty toyota and it was totally fine. It was just amazing how you round a corner and the landscape changes dramatically. This is due to how the trade winds hit the island. It goes from lush rainforest to arid volcanic wasteland in about 2 minutes. And its really beautiful.

It goes from this:

to this:

You can see the quality of the road in that last shot. It gets a little better as you go along.
ViperrepiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #62
Registered Member

Just got back from 5 nights on Oahu and 2 nights on Maui. Lots of amazing restaurants on Oahu but the beauty of Maui was stunning. We stayed in Ko Olina on Oahu and Lahaina in Maui. I'll post some pictures soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Colorado View Post

Anyways, Kauai>*
I guess you didn't take the treck all the way around the "Back Road to Hana" to head home? Because there are definitely some sections of dirt road, lots of sections of gravel road, and even more poorly paved road. Basically once you get 5 miles past Hana you aren't going to have fresh pavement until you get 20+ miles down the road. And you won't see a double yellow line for MANY miles more.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #63
Registered Member

There may be some asphalt under that dirt:

Eventually this turns into a nicely paved road. Here, not so much.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #64
Registered Member

Old 12-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #65
UA6

Very nice. Just got back from Oahu a few weeks ago.
UA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #66
Senior Moderator

Very nice!

Where did you stay in Lahaina?

I'm going back next year for Halloween
Old 12-10-2012, 04:04 AM   #67
Go Giants

nice
Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #68
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL View Post
Very nice!

Where did you stay in Lahaina?

I'm going back next year for Halloween
Marriott Ocean Club. It was just okay but it was booked with points so it didn't cost me anything. Great pool. Great sunset. Not much else to write home about.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #69
Registered Member

Oh and I guarantee the Mustang convertible we had already had a few trips down the back road to Hana. The driver's side front strut was in serious need of replacement. Car only had 7800 miles on it but every time we went over a speed bump *THUNK*.

Didn't push it too hard because of that. Otherwise the car was enjoyable.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #70
Registered Member

Quote:
I guess you didn't take the treck all the way around the "Back Road to Hana" to head home? Because there are definitely some sections of dirt road, lots of sections of gravel road, and even more poorly paved road. Basically once you get 5 miles past Hana you aren't going to have fresh pavement until you get 20+ miles down the road. And you won't see a double yellow line for MANY miles more.
Yes, we did take the Durango all the way around the south of Haleakala. I was referring to the north route going from Paia to Hana.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #71

You suckas take 340?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #72
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Oh and I guarantee the Mustang convertible we had already had a few trips down the back road to Hana. The driver's side front strut was in serious need of replacement. Car only had 7800 miles on it but every time we went over a speed bump *THUNK*.

Didn't push it too hard because of that. Otherwise the car was enjoyable.
Sounds like mine

Same car?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL View Post
Sounds like mine

Same car?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #74
Senior Moderator

Mine was dark blue. But yeah, all of them are abused.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #75
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanked 1,596 Times in 952 Posts
Looking for Maui hotel recommendations... Ritz and Weston are out, too much $$.

Kaanapali beach area, around Black Rock or nearby. Has to be on the beach.

Would love a place without a ton of kids and also with some type of umbrellas for the beach/pool areas.

Where have you stayed?

anyone stayed at the Royal Lahaina?

Last edited by stogie1020; 10-29-2013 at 03:22 PM.
stogie1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie1020 View Post
Looking for Maui hotel recommendations... Ritz and Weston are out, too much $$.

Kaanapali beach area, around Black Rock or nearby. Has to be on the beach.

Would love a place without a ton of spiders and also with some type of shoe or flamethrower for the beach/pool areas.

Where have you stayed?

anyone stayed at the Royal Lahaina?
Old 10-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #77
Senior Moderator

I have

I highly recommend it. It's clean, modern and yet has that 'Old Hawaii' feel to it. Feel free to ask anything you want.

P.S. No spiders were seen by either me or my wife
Old 10-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #78
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanked 1,596 Times in 952 Posts
Oh snap, awesome Ken. Will have a PM for you within a day or two.
stogie1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #79
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie1020 View Post
Oh snap, awesome Ken. Will have a PM for you within a day or two.
And I will reply when I see it. In Turkey and other places until the 9th
Old 10-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #80

Dude Maui was my favorite island! Are you renting a car and exploring the island?