Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Off Topic Discussion > Ramblings
Reload this Page >

Dallas policewoman enters wrong apartment, kills resident

Notices

Dallas policewoman enters wrong apartment, kills resident

Old 12-01-2018, 12:29 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,082 Posts
I am still having a hard time figuring out why, even if this WAS her apartment, she needed to shoot the guy. Seems like holding him at gunpoint and calling for backup would have been the thing to do.

Obviously, it wasn't her apartment, but unarmed burgling doesn't seem to present any special "officer danger" that I can see.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,454 Likes on 3,184 Posts
Has the officer’s toxicology report been released?
Old 12-01-2018, 01:35 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by oo7spy View Post
Has the officer’s toxicology report been released?
How should I know? Go look it up. I was replying to TacoBell, who asked why there was a toxicology screen even done on the guy who was shot.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:39 PM
Lucky Enzo!

Received 1,219 Likes on 854 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared View Post
Anyone seen a toxicology report on her or the victim?
Irrelevant to the policewoman's case. She went into a stranger's apartment and killed him. He could be high as a kite and attempting to defend himself and Texas law would still likely back him.

This bitch is cooked.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

Received 197 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
Do you not think the whole "white cop/black suspect" plays into this scenario? I hate to say, but I find it relevant.
I haven't really heard anything to make me think that, tbh. Also she looks about as white as George Zimmerman as CNN and MSNBC said he was.... so I'm chalking this up to typical media race-baiting bullshittery.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Received 146 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020 View Post
I am still having a hard time figuring out why, even if this WAS her apartment, she needed to shoot the guy. Seems like holding him at gunpoint and calling for backup would have been the thing to do.

Obviously, it wasn't her apartment, but unarmed burgling doesn't seem to present any special "officer danger" that I can see.
Poor police training, assuming she wasn't high or drunk.

Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I haven't really heard anything to make me think that, tbh. Also she looks about as white as George Zimmerman as CNN and MSNBC said he was.... so I'm chalking this up to typical media race-baiting bullshittery.
If Botham were White, would he be alive today?
Old 12-01-2018, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
Why the fuck does the guy who was shot require a toxicology report, for any of this?

Even if he had a kilo of cocaine in his system, it still doesn’t mean he should’ve been killed.

Doing drugs is illegal. Being high is not illegal.

Then again, I’m not sure why a toxicology report would matter whatsoever in this scenario. Maybe nfnsquared can tell us about all the years he spent working as a forensic investigator...
Guess you've not been keeping up? It's a known fact that tox screens were done on both. I'm just asking the question because I haven't seen anything about either being released as yet. I'm surprised nothing's been released, but maybe that's normal?...
Old 12-01-2018, 11:31 PM
The Third Ball

Received 3,750 Likes on 1,991 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
Why the fuck does the guy who was shot require a toxicology report, for any of this?
Because he wants to be justified in his racism.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:56 PM
youtu.be/TejoMjHk3x0

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,188 Posts

he was black and in “her” apartment.

People have have been instinctively trained by the news to subconsciously assume that a black person is a threat, that’s why they clutch their purse or cross the street when they see a black person.

This is probably why cops have been shooting and killing the good black guy with a gun, because they instinctively see them as a threat, and if a cop is “threatened” they can shoot the person and it usually stands up in court.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:30 PM
youtu.be/TejoMjHk3x0

97BlackAckCL is going to be so triggered by this

countless studies have confirmed the power of racial biases to shape everyday decisions in almost every aspect of life. White job applicants were found to be 74% more likely to have success than applicants from ethnic minorities with identical CVs. University professors were found to be far more likely to respond to emails from students with white-sounding names. US doctors have been found to recommend less pain medication for black or Latino patients than white patients with the same injury. White participants in a study were found to perceive black faces as more threatening than white faces with the same expression.

Neuroscientists have uncovered brain regions involved in racial and gender stereotyping and shown that such stereotypes begin to form early in childhood. Recent work found that the brain responds more strongly to information about ethnic groups who are portrayed unfavourably, suggesting that the negative depiction of minorities in the media can fuel bias.
h/t: nanxun

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-be-eliminated
Old 12-03-2018, 12:01 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,166 Posts
Not triggered at all, but keep reaching
Old 12-03-2018, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

How should I know? Go look it up. I was replying to TacoBell, who asked why there was a toxicology screen even done on the guy who was shot.
I didn’t expect you to know. I was asking the forum in general.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:42 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA View Post

he was black and in “her” apartment.

People have have been instinctively trained by the news to subconsciously assume that a black person is a threat, that’s why they clutch their purse or cross the street when they see a black person.

This is probably why cops have been shooting and killing the good black guy with a gun, because they instinctively see them as a threat, and if a cop is “threatened” they can shoot the person and it usually stands up in court.
Really? Has this actually happened more than once or twice recently?
Old 12-03-2018, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts
Really? Has this actually happened more than once or twice recently?
What's your threshold for it to be a problem? Will it be sheer quantity or will timeframe factor into it?
Old 12-03-2018, 01:36 PM
youtu.be/TejoMjHk3x0

In just the past six months (twice in the last 3 weeks), there have been at least three instances in the United States of fatal police shootings of black people who witnesses said were trying to interrupt an active shooting.

In each episode, the putative “good guy with a gun” was a lawfully armed black man whom officers mistook for the gunman, raising questions about police perceptions of black gun owners.

A black security guard at a bar in the Chicago suburbs was killed by the police as he apparently tried to detain a man he believed to be involved in a shooting, the authorities said Monday.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/12/u...d-chicago.html

On Thanksgiving night, the sounds of gunshots inside an Alabama mall sent shoppers diving for cover and sprinting for exits. Outside the mall, Emantic Fitzgerald Bradford Jr. pulled out a gun and rushed to protect shoppers, his family said.

But Mr. Bradford was soon dead. An off-duty police officer working security at the mall, Riverchase Galleria in Hoover, Ala., fatally shot him, the authorities said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/26/u...-shooting.html

A Navy veteran was shot and killed by Oregon cops after his pistol fell from a holster as he tried to break up a fight outside a bar, according to local reports.

Witnesses to the scuffle — sparked by a racial slur — contend 45-year-old Jason Washington, who was black, was a good Samaritan and not an instigator when Portland State University campus police opened fire early Friday.
Jason Washington was identified as the man shot and killed by Portland State University campus police. (KATU)
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...701-story.html

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 12-03-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:01 PM
youtu.be/TejoMjHk3x0

^But 97BlackAckCL thinks I'm reaching , sad
Old 12-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

There are plenty of incidents where police shoot armed white non-criminals, too. Homeowners with guns in hand when police respond to their house, etc. it's only about race if you make it about race.

Maybe it's just simply about common sense? Like, if I am an armed good Samaritan, I should probably drop my gun when the police arrive. If I don't think I am going to remember to do that in the heat of the moment, I should choose not to carry a gun.

You are reaching.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,166 Posts
You're reaching trolling me and trying to trigger me and continually tagging me in posts
Old 12-03-2018, 03:46 PM
The Third Ball

Received 3,750 Likes on 1,991 Posts
Maybe it's just simply about common sense? Like, if I am an armed good Samaritan, I should probably drop my gun when the police arrive. If I don't think I am going to remember to do that in the heat of the moment, I should choose not to carry a gun.

You are reaching.
I don't think its quite that easy...and I do think a lot has to do with race. The conversations have been started, we all know there is a definite problem, and to deny it and or put it off as "it happens to white people, too" is to only turn a blind eye and exacerbate the problem. It's easy to be a white guy and make that statement.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Received 860 Likes on 489 Posts
You're sharing a tweet by Shaun King. Whatever you're arguing blew its foot off before the gun was loaded.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:01 PM
youtu.be/TejoMjHk3x0

Cool. What's incorrect about it? Was Jemel Roberson not a security guard? Was he not the "good guy with a gun" there to stop a shooter? Was Jemel Roberson not shot and killed by cops when they arrived on the scene?

I'll be here all week...
Old 12-03-2018, 08:16 PM
youtu.be/TejoMjHk3x0

There are plenty of incidents where police shoot armed white non-criminals, too. Homeowners with guns in hand when police respond to their house, etc. it's only about race if you make it about race.

You are reaching.
Link? According to the US Census there's 6 times more white people than black people in the US. So for there should have been about 18 instances in which cops have shot and killed the good white guy with a gun in the last 6 months. Can you find me stories of even half that, in the last 6 months?

Aren't there rules of engagement/escalation of force cops are supposed to follow, or is it shoot to kill the first person you see with a gun? Did these black men point their guns at the cops? Did they do anything to warrant them being shot besides just having a gun, and being black?

As someone who strongly supports gun rights are you not bothered that cops are -in your view- indiscriminately killing lawful citizens, the "good guys with a gun" when they happen upon them at a crime scene? Aren't these stories discrediting the logic of gun owners that there needs to be more people with guns, wouldn't that lead to more innocent good guys being -in your view- indiscriminately shot by cops, as you think is the case in these stories?
Old 12-03-2018, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

Received 860 Likes on 489 Posts
Cool. What's incorrect about it? Was Jemel Roberson not a security guard? Was he not the "good guy with a gun" there to stop a shooter? Was Jemel Roberson not shot and killed by cops when they arrived on the scene?

I'll be here all week...
The moron you shared is not actually interested in wondering why Roberson was killed, his mind is already made up just as it was earlier this year when Sherita Dixon claimed a state trooper would let her go for sexual favors.
The 37-year-old North Texas woman’s story was widely shared on social media, aided and amplified by social activist Shaun King, who recently brought attention to the New York lawyer who made xenophobic comments about Spanish-speaking employees at a New York deli.
“This system was not designed to protect us — it was designed to punish us,” King wrote in a blog post, “and for it to do anything other than that — we must force it work on our behalf.”
King deleted the tweet sharing her allegation & wrote a new blog about how she was the victimizer, as if he wasn't the one pushed the story out into the media and was ready to fight alongside her.

The point is this: sharing someone like Shaun King's words as part of your argument severely discredits it. What happened to Roberson should've never happened, but King's tweet has nothing to do with finding justice. The event is an excuse to once again, race bait & amplify his death as a "white issue" rather than a police issue.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:42 PM
youtu.be/TejoMjHk3x0

Sure just treat similar incidents separately and ignore possible trends. 18 out of the 19 hottest years on record have all occurred since the beginning of the century. We should treat each of those years separately and not look at them together as an underlying trend of global warming. It's just a coincidence, not the symptoms of a widespread societal problem
Old 12-04-2018, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S View Post
The moron you shared is not actually interested in wondering why Roberson was killed, his mind is already made up just as it was earlier this year when Sherita Dixon claimed a state trooper would let her go for sexual favors.

King deleted the tweet sharing her allegation & wrote a new blog about how she was the victimizer, as if he wasn't the one pushed the story out into the media and was ready to fight alongside her.

The point is this: sharing someone like Shaun King's words as part of your argument severely discredits it. What happened to Roberson should've never happened, but King's tweet has nothing to do with finding justice. The event is an excuse to once again, race bait & amplify his death as a "white issue" rather than a police issue.
Dude, you're grasping here. You hate Shaun King we get it.

Did he say anything false? How did you determine he isn't interested in why Roberson was killed? You've spoken to him about it?
Old 12-05-2018, 08:02 AM
youtu.be/TejoMjHk3x0

A black man killed by the police in an Alabama mall in November was shot three times from behind, according to a forensic examination commissioned by the man’s family.

The finding, announced in a news conference on Monday, was seen by the man’s family and lawyers as evidence he was running away and posed no threat to the officer who shot him.

Emantic Fitzgerald Bradford Jr., 21, was fatally shot in the middle of a panicked crowd at the Riverchase Galleria in Hoover, Ala., on Nov. 22, as officers responded to reports of gunshots on Thanksgiving night. Witnesses said Mr. Bradford, who was legally carrying a handgun, was directing shoppers to safety.

Emantic Fitzgerald Bradford Jr.

But the authorities publicly identified him as the gunman, an initial misidentification they retracted a day later.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/04/u...g-autopsy.html

Shot in the back by the off duty police officer. Appears to have been doing the right honorable thing that the NRA would want him to have done, as a member of the Army probably knows how to handle a gun properly and not wave it around like an idiot, but he was still shot in the back 3 times and killed. Why did the authorities assume that he was the gunman?

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 12-05-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Let's see: Black man (as was the description of the suspect) brandishing a gun during a shooting in a "gun free zone"...

He's very likely a tragic victim of circumstance. I'm not ready to condemn the responding officer/s...

Also, I don't know Alabama concealed carry laws, but in ND, his action (bringing a weapon into a posted gun free zone) would have resulted in being permanently disqualified from conceal carry...

Last edited by nfnsquared; 12-05-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:58 PM
Excels at nothing

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,473 Posts
https://whnt.com/2018/11/26/hoover-m...abama-gun-law/

Hoover mall shooting underlines gray area in Alabama gun law

It turns out guns are banned from the Galleria mall in Hoover, and from Parkway Place in Huntsville.

Huntsville Police Department spokesman Lt. Michael Johnson said the law allows business owners to decided who can access their business.

“Private businesses and private property owners can restrict who comes on their property in whatever manner they’d like,” he said.

But business firearms bans don’t have much teeth under Alabama law when a concealed carry permit is involved. There is no gun-related charge for bringing a gun into a private business.

“So, if they want to restrict guns, they can restrict people that bring guns on their property,” Johnson said. “It wouldn’t matter if the possession of the gun was legal, for instance if you have a permit, you have legal possession of the weapon.”

A business can ask you to leave your gun outside.

“If they put a sign up requesting you not to come on their property with a gun, they in turn have the ability to refuse their service and call police and say, ‘We don’t want them on our property,’” Johnson said.

If a gun owner with a carrying permit ignores the request, he could a face a misdemeanor trespassing charge, but that’s about it.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, so sad. Had he simply complied with the mall rules (and probably AL law), he quite likely would not have attracted the cop's/cops' attention and still be alive today....
Old 12-06-2018, 02:15 PM
youtu.be/TejoMjHk3x0

So the punishment in Alabama for a misdemeanor trespassing charge is being shot in the back 3 times
Old 04-30-2019, 07:44 PM
_

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,387 Posts
911 call leaked

https://abcnews.go.com/US/listen-911...ry?id=62721312

911 call from Dallas police officer after fatally shooting man in apartment released

Apr 30, 2019

"I thought it was my apartment."

Former Dallas police officer Amber Guyger repeated those words over a dozen times to a 911 dispatcher after she shot 26-year-old Botham Jean inside his own apartment on Sept. 6.

They lived on different floors in the same apartment complex, south of downtown Dallas. Guyger, 30, was still wearing her police uniform when she arrived home that night from working a full shift and apparently mistook Jean's apartment for her own. She shot him when she opened the ajar door of the unit and saw a "large silhouette" in the nearly dark apartment, believing it was a burglar, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

That's when Guyger, who was still in uniform, called 911 for help and provided first aid, according to the warrant.

ABC Dallas affiliate WFAA obtained a copy of the five-minute 911 call, which has not been officially released.

The dispatcher answers, "Dallas 911, this is Carla. What is your emergency?"

Guyger, who sounds distressed and out of breath throughout the call, says, "I'm an off-duty officer. I thought I was in my apartment and I shot a guy thinking he was, thinking it was my apartment."

"You shot someone?" the dispatcher asks.

"Yes. I thought it was my apartment," Guyger responds. "Oh my god. I'm sorry."

The dispatcher tells Guyger that help is on the way.

"I know but I'm -- I'm going to lose my job. I thought it was my apartment," Guyger says.

Guyger can be heard talking to Jean while she waits for first responders to arrive. "Hey bud. Hey bud. Come on," she says.

She tells the dispatcher to "hurry please."

"I thought it was my apartment," Guyger repeats over and over. "I could have sworn I parked on the third floor."

"Hey, bud," she's heard saying to Jean again. "Hey, bud, they're coming. They're coming. I'm sorry, man."

The dispatcher confirms with Guyger that she's an officer with the Dallas Police Department.

"Yes," Guyger says. "Oh my god. I'm done. I didn't mean to. I didn't mean to. I didn't mean to. I'm so sorry. Hey, bud."

The dispatcher assures Guyger that first responders are almost there.

"Stay with me, bud," Guyger is heard telling Jean. "I thought it was my apartment. I thought it was my apartment."

First responders arrive on scene and Guyger is heard telling them she's an off-duty officer. The call ends seconds later.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Negligent manslaughter for a first time offender.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Well, that call certainly supports her statement that she thought it was her apartment and was startled to find a stranger in "her apartment". It might just be enough to sway a jury away from a murder conviction....
Old 05-01-2019, 01:27 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

I still have a pretty hard time with shooting an unarmed burglar... Even if it IS your house.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Received 416 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy View Post
Negligent manslaughter for a first time offender.
In Texas, we have Murder (and a subset of that, capital murder), and then Manslaughter, and Criminally Negligent Homicide.

I would agree that this 9-1-1 recording would take away the state's ability to secure murder. It's a tougher call on manslaughter vs criminally negligent homicide. The difference between the two is huge though because manslaughter is a 2nd degree (2 to 20) and negligent homicide is a state jail felony (up to 2 years).

When the story first came out, I thought the officer was an idiot, but this call really changed my perception.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2019, 10:32 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 10,165 Likes on 7,474 Posts
Fuck that bitch...

I'm going to lose my job.. cunt.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator