Blue Lives Matter Too - Page 2 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Blue Lives Matter Too

Old 06-12-2015, 12:23 PM   #41
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie1020 View Post
I used to have to go get a "check up from the neck up" every 18 months since what I was doing was classified as 'undercover' work, but truthfully, it was so basic, it was a joke...

We would take the MMPI and a few other tests that, after the first time, you knew how to answer ("YES/NO: I am afraid of thunder." "FILL IN BLANK: I get angry when_____") and then talk to a Bureau shrink to discuss the result and a control officer to make sure we weren't drooling on ourselves.

Honestly, there was no subject matter specific conversation relevant to what I was doing (child sexual exploitation investigations) and NOTHING even related to the day in day out issues we faced (and still do). I will take a lot of those experience with me to the grave as fresh, vivid, memories, even though they occurred many years ago.

Ultimately, you can't un-experience things, and police officers often experience the terrible things at an alarming rate and density. Eventually it manifests itself.
Interesting, I knew you were a LEO but I didn't know you worked with child exploitation.

I did some similar work on the social worker side. If fact, it's one of the reasons I am no longer a social worker, I can't deal with that stuff without wanting to smash someone's face. I recognized I needed to get out before it took too great a toll on me, or I actually did smash someone's face. Unfortunately, many people either don't realize, or ignore the warnings that a particular job (or part of a job) are not right for them until it's too late. I still can't think about some of those cases without getting angry, but then again I am an angry guy.

And more on topic, there were no "checkup from the neck up" requirements, or even support available for social workers. There should be. The thought we (as a country) put into people's overall mental health is pretty sad.

Last edited by TzarChasm; 06-12-2015 at 12:27 PM.
TzarChasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #42
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,731 Posts
Great article and story Jefford, thanks for posting
97BlackAckCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:28 PM   #43
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtmike View Post
The advent of ubiquitous cameras has raised the standard of performance to utter perfection for cops, with the punishment being national vilification and loss of livelihood for a single misstep regardless of any mitigating circumstances that a reasonable person would take into consideration (speaking here of the incidents that Casebolt dealt with before having to wade into the navel-gazing shitstorm party at the pool).

I fucking hate the cell phone video/youtube phenomenon. It makes us less human as a society and more like the Dictatorship of the Proletariat every day.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:36 PM   #44
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanked 1,596 Times in 952 Posts
Quote:
I haven't commented in the other train wreck of a thread, and full disclosure I haven't watched the video of the Texas pool incident.

The advent of ubiquitous cameras has raised the standard of performance to utter perfection for cops, with the punishment being national vilification and loss of livelihood for a single misstep regardless of any mitigating circumstances that a reasonable person would take into consideration (speaking here of the incidents that Casebolt dealt with before having to wade into the navel-gazing shitstorm party at the pool).

I fucking hate the cell phone video/youtube phenomenon. It makes us less human as a society and more like the Dictatorship of the Proletariat every day.
While I think they contribute to an overall national conversation, they are currently being used ONLY for shock and ratings value, and as such I totally agree with your assessment. The national body of journalists have increasingly slid their way to new lows in their (un)ethical presentations of "news"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL View Post
Great article and story Jefford, thanks for posting
stogie1020 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #45
Registered Member

Quote:
I haven't commented in the other train wreck of a thread, and full disclosure I haven't watched the video of the Texas pool incident.

I somewhat agree. Now everyone with an internet connection is suddenly commenting on what the police "should have done". Normally, I side with the police in these circumstances.

At the same time, there are a lot of police abuses that have come to light lately for no other reason than the use of video.

There has to be a balance.
TzarChasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #46
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie1020 View Post
While I think they contribute to an overall national conversation, they are currently being used ONLY for shock and ratings value, and as such I totally agree with your assessment. The national body of journalists have increasingly slid their way to new lows in their (un)ethical presentations of "news"...

Not to mention the constant attempts to stir racial tensions and incite riots and protests so that they can report on them
Old 06-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #47
FOUR RINGS

Thanked 1,251 Times in 835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7spy View Post
^ I had never really considered the different means by which LEOs face danger before looking at that chart. It took a second for the 2001 data point to make sense, and then I was like, .

Any s know what's up with '74?
I was 14 years old. But the 70's were quite tumultuous because of Hippies, Peace Protests, the Vietnam War...race riots...the list goes on and on.
1killercls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #48
Senior Moderator

Thanked 3,395 Times in 2,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL View Post

Not to mention the constant attempts to stir racial tensions and incite riots and protests so that they can report on them
I'll just repost my reply to UA6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA6 View Post
Instead they're looking for stories that will enrage people, and possibly cause them to riot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7spy View Post
I think it is a bit over the top (paranoiac?) to think that producers want riots. Even the idea of wanting to enrage people seems far-fetched. Producers care about clicks and ratings. Emotions and passion drive the majority of those ratings, so they focus on things that people are passionate about. I think the fact that anger and riots result is more coincidence than intention.
oo7spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:37 PM   #49
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Old 06-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #50
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Old 06-18-2015, 02:55 PM   #51
Senior Moderator

Dash cam has damn good resolution!
Old 07-02-2015, 02:49 PM   #52
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Old 07-02-2015, 04:47 PM   #53
Senior Moderator

What an idiot. Was that real? Back story?
Old 07-02-2015, 06:31 PM   #54
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Only backstory I had was from youtube post:

Quote:
Footage taken from the bodycam of Palestine Police Sgt. Gabriel Green during the shooting of James Bushey on May 31, 2015. This footage may be disturbing for some viewers. Discretion is advised.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #55
Senior Moderator

Something about the man and the restaurant screamed Texas to me, so no surprise there. However, stealing beer and pulling a BB gun on cops? Darwin finalist for sure. I didn't realize why there was no volume at first (user error). When I watched it the second time with sound, I assumed the Sgt. said murder/killing because I knew the suspect was going to pull the gun and thought it could only be for something serious. Petty theft though?

Quote:
PALESTINE, TX (KLTV) -
On Tuesday, police released video of the altercation between officers and a man outside a restaurant in Palestine.

On Sunday, May 31, police shot and killed 47-year-old James D. Bushey. He was suspected of stealing beer from a store and hiding in a nearby restaurant. Bushey was shot by police after he pointed a weapon at an officer.

The body camera footage shows Sergeant Gabriel Green and Officer Kaylynn Griffin entering the Applebee's restaurant, looking for a suspect that has been described to them as a male wearing a black t-shirt, a black cap and tan shorts.

The officers located Bushey in the men's restroom and Sgt. Green waited for Bushey to finish washing his hands.

In the released video, Bushey asks Sgt. Green, "What do you need?"

Green responds, "You're a suspect in reference to a theft case. I need you to step out please."

When Bushey does not respond, Green says, "Don't act dumb, come on and step out, you're on video, ok?"
Griffin then joined Green and Bushey in the restroom, and both officers are shown leading Bushey through the restaurant.

As the three exit the building, Officer Griffin asks Bushey for his identification.

In the video, Bushey is seen placing his hand close to his body and then pulling out what appears to be a handgun. After a brief struggle, Bushey breaks away from Green and the officers respond with gunfire.

On the scene, Griffin's body camera captured up close her attempt to render aid and CPR to revive Bushey. She also recounts to another officer what happened.

"He looked like he was about to run, I got in front of him," Griffin says. "[Bushey] turned and pulled the gun, that was it."

Police later determined the weapon was a BB gun designed to look like a 9 mm handgun, leaving unanswered questions about why Bushey drew the firearm in the first place.
Palestine police release video of officer-involved shooting at r - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

That body camera did that Sgt. a great favor.

Last edited by oo7spy; 07-02-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #56
Needs more Lemon Pledge

RIP Sean Bolton

Suspect arrested in Memphis cop killing

Quote:
Authorities have arrested a convicted bank robber suspected of killing a Memphis, Tenn., police officer during a weekend traffic stop, the Shelby County sheriff said Monday evening.

Tremaine Wilbourn, 29, had been wanted for first-degree murder since officer Sean Bolton was shot dead Saturday after he apparently interrupted a drug deal.

Police director Toney Armstrong said Sunday that a passenger shot the 33-year-old Bolton several times after "some type of physical altercation."

Wilbourn had been free on supervised release by the U.S. Western District Court for a 122-month sentence for bank robbery, Armstrong said. .

Armstrong said the drug transaction in question amounted to "less than two grams of marijuana," which constituted "a misdemeanor citation and a fine."

Holding up a photo of Wilbourn, Armstrong said, "I think it's safe to say that when you look at this individual, you're looking at a coward. He's a coward. You gun down, you murder a police officer for less than two grams of marijuana. You've literally destroyed a family. Look at the impact that that's had on this department, this community, this city, for less than two grams of marijuana."

The U.S. Marshal's Service has offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to Wilbourn's arrest. The (Memphis) Commercial quoted Memphis Mayor A C Wharton as saying he will ask the city council to match that amount.

Bolton, a five-year veteran of the department, was the third Memphis officer killed since 2011.
Tremaine Wilbourn

Earlier, Armstrong said a member of the public called dispatch at 9:18 p.m. CT Saturday, using Bolton's radio to report that the officer had been shot multiple times. Officers found Bolton at the scene and rushed him to Regional Medical Center in critical condition, but he was later pronounced dead, Armstrong said.

"There is a theme that black lives matter," said a sullen Armstrong, who is black. "At the end of the day, we have to ask ourselves, do all lives matter? All lives matter … and this is just a reminder of how dangerous this job is."

The shooting set off an intense manhunt that ended with officers surrounding an apartment building in the city. Police did not immediately identify the person of interest who was apprehended.

Armstrong said his department was once again in mourning.

"It's a difficult time for all the officers you see standing behind me," he said. "And difficult time for the city as well."

Mayor A C Wharton joined Armstrong in asking the prayers for the officer's family, the Memphis police department and the city. He also pointed to the proliferation of guns as adding to the dangers that officers face.

"Once again, we won't make any political statements here, but this again is evidence that there are so many guns on our streets in the wrong hands," Wharton said. "Men and women in blue have rules of engagement they have to follow, but … they are dealing with people who have no rules of engagement."

Bolton, who joined the force in 2010, served a tour in Iraq and studied political science at the University of Memphis.

In July 2011, Memphis Officer Tim Warren was killed while responding to a shooting. In December 2012, Officer Martoiya Lang was killed while serving a warrant.

"This is my third time in four years, and it doesn't get any easier," Armstrong said.

Last edited by stogie1020; 08-04-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:43 PM   #57
Senior Moderator

"Once again, we won't make any political statements here, but this again is evidence that there are so many guns on our streets in the wrong hands," Wharton said.

This isn't the time to talk about gun control. Focus on the criminal!
Old 08-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #58
Needs more Lemon Pledge

What is odd is that no news report indicated the race of the officer or the suspect. Just pictures of the two.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they SHOULD, but can you imagine of a white officer shot an African American citizen? That is how the story would lead.

In this case:

Just another officer shot and killed...

Maybe Al Sharpton will race down there and organize a rally.

Last edited by stogie1020; 08-04-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #59
Senior Moderator

Double standards are everywhere.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #60

Thanked 8,202 Times in 6,008 Posts
I was cringing in that body cam vid.. I was like.. why are you walking with your back to the suspect?! The perp was a freaking derp.

1.. it's a fucking case of beer
2.. who the fuck plays around here. He was dead the moment he pulled out that bb gun. Freaking darwin award nominee.
Majofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #61

Too many good officers dying and shit officers tarnishing the bunch..
Old 09-03-2015, 03:06 AM   #62
Registered Member

Not sure if this has been posted yet.

Sugar Land firefighter creates 'I've got your back' decal in support of law enforcement | News - Home

Quote:
HOUSTON - Captain Greg Hopper with the Sugar Land Fire Department knew he wanted to do something after the tragic death of Harris County Deputy Darren Goforth.

"I need to find a way to show them that I support them," Hopper told KPRC 2 News.

He decided to make decals that reads "I've Got Your Back" to show support for law enforcement. He came up with the idea while listening to the radio on his way home from work two nights ago.

It has received overwhelming support here and around the country. KPRC 2 has been contacted on the phone, through email and on Facebook by people who want a decal.Another person wrote, "I fully support law enforcement and have been locked up before. I have no hard feelings towards them as I made bad choices. I'm glad they choose to put their life on the line every day to protect my children and others that need it." Hopper hopes whenever law enforcement officers see cars with the decal, they know they are not alone.

"I am here with my family, to me this is what it is all about, taking care of my family, the Goforth family, they don't have their father there now," Hopper said. Hopper said proceeds for the sale of the decals will go toward the Goforth family and other families in similar situations.

Hopper is asking for a $10 donation. Once you contribute on the Fundrazr website, Hopper will email you to confirm a mailing address, where he will then send the decal.
1) Donate money to cause (money goes to families)
2) Get decal + good karma

3) Never get pulled over, too
Rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #63
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Lieutenant Joe Gliniewicz, Fox Lake PD

https://www.odmp.org/officer/22580-l...eph-gliniewicz

Quote:
Lieutenant Joe Gliniewicz was shot and killed while investigating suspicious activity.

At approximately 8:00 am Lieutenant Gliniewicz radioed his dispatcher that he was stopping to investigate three suspicious males that he observed near Route 12 and Sayton Road, in Fox Lake. Shortly thereafter he radioed in a foot pursuit. When backup officers arrived they found Lieutenant Gliniewicz mortally wounded.

The three subjects fled and remain at large.

Lieutenant Gliniewicz had served with the Fox Lake Police Department for 32 years and is a U.S. Army veteran. He is survived by his wife and four sons.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #64
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Old 09-04-2015, 07:24 AM   #65
Senior Moderator

Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,133 Posts

Why are there no press conferences over all these LEO homicides??

Last edited by ggesq; 09-04-2015 at 07:28 AM.
ggesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:23 PM   #66
Registered but harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggesq View Post

Why are there no press conferences over all these LEO homicides??
There are and have been, until after suspects are taken into custody and charged.

Then the publicity seems to stop and there are no protests following the arrests.
Will Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #67
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Darren H. Goforth
Harris County Sheriff's Office, Texas

End of Watch: Friday, August 28, 2015

Quote:
Deputy Sheriff Darren Goforth was shot and killed from ambush while pumping gas into his patrol car at a commercial gas station at the intersection of West and Telge Roads, in Cypress.

Deputy Goforth was on patrol and had completed an assignment at the scene of a vehicle collision. He went to a local gas station to fuel his patrol car. As Deputy Goforth stood next to his patrol car filling it with fuel, a male subject walked up behind him and fired multiple shots. After Deputy Goforth fell to the ground, the subject shot him several more times before fleeing the scene in a pickup truck.

The subject was apprehended the next day following a massive manhunt involving multiple law enforcement agencies from around the Harris County and Houston area. He was charged with capital murder.

Deputy Goforth had served with the Harris County Sheriff's Office for 10 years. He is survived by his wife and two children, ages 5 and 12.
https://www.odmp.org/officer/22579-d...rren-h-goforth
Old 09-04-2015, 04:46 PM   #68
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Henry Nelson
Sunset Police Department, Louisiana

End of Watch: Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Quote:
Police Officer Henry Nelson was shot and killed at approximately 3:00 pm while responding to a domestic disturbance call where three women had been stabbed by a male subject at a home on Anna Street in Sunset. When Officer Nelson arrived the subject opened fire and fatally wounded him.

The subject fled the scene and crashed his vehicle into a nearby gas station where he barricaded himself for several hours. He was apprehended after a SWAT team made entry into the gas station.

Officer Nelson was airlifted to the hospital, where he succumbed to his wounds. One of the three stabbing victims also died.

Officer Nelson had served with the six-person Sunset Police Department for 13 years. He is survived by his daughter.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #69
Excels at nothing

Thanked 1,549 Times in 834 Posts

svtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:43 PM   #70
Senior Moderator

Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Y. View Post
There are and have been, until after suspects are taken into custody and charged.

Then the publicity seems to stop and there are no protests following the arrests.
Sorry, I should have clarified. Why isn't the President holding a press conference over LEO killings?

Isn't the toll up to like 8 in 9 days...
ggesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #71
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4478042069001/driver-to-cop-in-traffic-stop-no-wonder-you-people-get-shot/?intcmp=hpvid1#sp=show-clips
Stupid bitch.
gatrhumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #72

Not a LEO, but always worth mentioning all brothers in blue..

Rest in peace Dennis Rodeman
USMC, 1 tour Iraq - Fallujah, 7 year vet of FD - senselessly rundown and killed while collecting donations for MDA. Married 2 months ago, wife is pregnant.

The SOB that killed him intentionally did so, possibly upset that there was congestion due to the donation drive. He drove across several lanes targeting Dennis and hit him square with his truck. No bail.

Dennis Rodeman killed in 'deliberate' hit-and-run crash by Grant Jacob Taylor | Daily Mail Online

Lansing firefighter dies after hit-and-run while collecting donations
Old 09-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #73
Excels at nothing

Thanked 1,549 Times in 834 Posts
^ Awful.

Let's never forget the fallen of 9/11/2001.

https://www.odmp.org/search/incident...rrorist-attack
svtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #74
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Terrible.
gatrhumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:33 PM   #75
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Okaloosa County Sheriff's Deputy Bill Myers

Man Fatally Shoots Florida Deputy Outside Law Office - NBC News

Quote:
A Florida sheriff's deputy died Tuesday after he was shot several times from behind after serving a domestic violence injunction against a man at a Shalimar attorney's office, authorities said.

The gunman was later shot and killed by police.

The order being served by Myers had barred Smith from possessing firearms, and Myers was walking to Smith's car to get retrieve some weapons when Smith pulled out a concealed gun and began shooting, The Associated Press reported.

"He was a sick little coward," Okaloosa County Sheriff Larry Ashley said, holding back tears.

Smith then fled to a nearby Comfort Inn about 9 miles away in Niceville, where he barricaded himself in a room, the sheriff's office said.

When a special response team fired tear gas into the room, which Smith had previously rented, he charged out with a weapon and was fatally shot, Ashley said.

Myers joined the department in 1989, retired in 2013, and was re-hired on a part time basis to serve civil orders.

"He served this community with distinction for decades. He was loved, admired, and respected for his dedication to the law enforcement profession," Ashley said in a statement.

"We pray for his soul and for his family and we ask that the community pray for them as well, and for all the men and women who have the courage in these troubled times to put their lives on the line for others," Ashley said.

Smith had been arrested for domestic battery in 2008, Ashley said, without providing further details.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:34 PM   #76
Needs more Lemon Pledge

I can't wait until this thread gets bumped off the front page of Ramblings.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #77
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Forest Acres Police Department, South Carolina
Police Officer
Gregory Thomas Alia
Forest Acres Police Department, South Carolina

End of Watch: Wednesday, September 30, 2015
https://www.odmp.org/officer/22607-p...ry-thomas-alia

Quote:
Police Officer Greg Alia was shot and killed when he and two other officers responded to a suspicious person call at the Richland Mall shortly before 8:00 am.

The officers located the subject inside a van in the mall's parking lot. As they spoke to him the man became uncooperative and then fled on foot into the mall. During the ensuing struggle the subject produced a stolen .40 caliber handgun and fatally shot Officer Alia.

The man was apprehended a short time later and charged with murder.

Officer Alia had served with the Forest Acres Police Department for seven years. He is survived by his wife, 6-month-old son, and parents.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #78

Thanked 4,678 Times in 3,720 Posts
Another one to add to the list..

Officer Randolph Holder

Quote:
A New York police officer died after he was shot in the head Tuesday night while chasing a robbery suspect, authorities said.

Officer Randolph Holder was shot while responding to reports of a gunman in East Harlem, and he died a few hours, Police Commissioner William J. Bratton said.

He was the fourth officer killed in the line of duty in the city in the past 11 months, according to Bratton. Nationwide, 31 police officers have been killed in the line of duty so far this year.
NYPD officer fatally shot; suspect detained - CNN.com
thoiboi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #79
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanks for posting.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:30 PM   #80
Senior Moderator

31 seems low for the number of stories it feels like I've read.