Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Off Topic Discussion > Ramblings
Reload this Page >

The Astronomy News and Discussion Thread

Notices

The Astronomy News and Discussion Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 07:18 AM
youtu.be/TejoMjHk3x0

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,188 Posts
No, you're right, it's wrong
Old 08-29-2016, 07:26 AM
Excels at nothing

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,473 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA View Post
No, you're right, it's wrong
Yup.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:57 AM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 202 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post
I thought Jupiter and Saturn would be significantly larger like taking the entire sight of the horizon but I guess it's farther than I thought.
It's a video to relativize probably not to exact scale. And a cool idea.

Edit: the video's description says it's to scale

This is a visualization of what it might be like if the Moon was replaced with some of the other planets at the same distance as our moon

In order show:

Mars
Venus
Neptune
Uranus
Jupiter
Saturn

Mercury is intentionally left off as it isn't Much bigger than our Moon (and hence is boring)

Everything is correctly scaled. The Axial tilts are not particularly accurate.
the moon that flies in front of Saturn is Tethys. It is Tiny. but *very* close

Dione would be on a collision course, it's orbital distance from Saturn is Nearly identical to our Moon's orbit around Earth

Titan, which is Larger than our Moon, is outside the orbit of Dione

on Jupiter, you might be able to make out the 4 big moons, They all have orbits larger than our moons orbit. but I stuck them on the far side of jupiter so that they could be seen so it looks as if they are closer (to Jupiter) than they really are.

Video creation method
I created an Earth Moon system in 3dsmax, with accurate sizes and accurate orbital distances.. I than matched video of the real Moon with my video camera, against my model. I also researched the correct FOV of my video camera. I used both methods to verify my Virtual camera's FOV (around 47 degrees). I next modeled up the rest of the planets in proper scale (Real values) set at the distance of the moon (also real values), created the animation of them rotating around, and composited the whole bunch.

Faq:

Scales used in Visualization:
Celestial Body Radius (in km)
Moon: 1738
Mars: 3397
Venus: 6052
Neptune: 25,269 (equatorial) 24,340 (polar)
Uranus: 25,559 (equatorial) 24,973 (polar)
Jupiter: 71,490 (equatorial) 66,854 (polar)
Saturn: 60,268 (equatorial) 54,360 (polar) (not including rings)

Distance to Moon 384,000km

Faq: (will expand as needed)

1, We would not be engulfed by Jupiter or any other planet, Jupiter's radius is 71,490 km and the distance to the Moon is 384,000km

2, Saturn is not larger than Jupiter. Saturn + RINGS is larger than Jupiter

3, We would suffer from really really horrible tides, and Volcanoes And some pretty bad Radiation from Jupiter. It *could* strip away our atmosphere, but haven't done the math. Eventually our planet would become tidally locked (that is the same side of Earth would always face Jupiter. we would Still have some bad tides and volcanoes from being in a slightly ellipitical orbit, and from the other moons of Jupiter, and the Sun having tidal influence. I have not calculated how bad the Tides would be. A Simple guess would be at Least 300 times more exaggerated than they are now, This figure could be way off, it's simply an educated guess.

4, We would not be in the rings of Saturn. Or to rephrase that, we would not be in any of the Visable rings of Saturn, There are some very very faint rings that strech out far that we would be in, but i did not model them.

5, We would not be crushed by the Gravity of Jupiter, This is not how orbiting works!.
However, at the Roche limit, we WOULD become a new ring system, The Roche limit is *about* 36,000km above the "surface" of Jupiter or 106,000km from the center of Jupiter. So, to reiterate if the center of Jupiter was 106,000km away from the center of the earth, Our planet would become a new Ring system of Jupiter.

6, I did not model the Ring of debris around Uranus (this faq will be deleted in a few days)

7, This is not an ad for any beer company, no one has endorsed me, or this animation, It's just the traffic that drove by.

8, There is Ring Shine on Saturn, but it is very faint, the Rings are reflecting light onto Saturn in the animation. The moon that flies by is Tethys

9, I love Pluto, and Mercury. They are left off because they are too small. Pluto is smaller than our Moon, and Mercury is not significantly larger than our Moon.

10, The "Sun" i used for lighting the planets is slightly off from reality, this was done so that they weren't totally dark and boring

11 FOV is about 47 degrees

12 Orbiting! Yes! we would be a moon of Saturn, Jupiter, Uranus, and Neptune. They are much more massive than the Earth. Venus is about the same size of the Earth and we would orbit around a center point between us

13 Rotation rates and axial tilts are not accurate to anything

14 Radius of the Sun is 695,500 km, and hence if it were where our Moon is, we would be engulfed by it

Last edited by RL09; 08-29-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:09 AM
Stay Metal

Received 812 Likes on 636 Posts
I skimmed the description and some of the comments also. One guy echoes my sentiment and he was called a flatearther
Old 08-29-2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post
I skimmed the description and some of the comments also. One guy echoes my sentiment and he was called a flatearther
More cool vids including this one here What if other planets took the moon's place? | Daily Mail Online

Old 08-30-2016, 06:43 AM

I like how the Brits put it; more dramatic.

Aliens may have sent ‘strong message’ from deep in space, scientists claim
Scientists hunting for life on other worlds have asked for 'permanent monitoring' of the star, in the hope of other messages

A car moves along the Extraterrestrial Highway near Rachel, Nevada, on the east side of Area 51 AP A new signal has been found deep in space that could come from aliens.

The community of astronomers and scientists who scan the skies with telescopes in an attempt to find extraterrestrial life is abuzz with excitement over a “strong signal” detected deep in space that could come from an alien civilisation.

But some scientists have cautioned people not to get quite so excited – at least yet. The evidence remains preliminary and more work will need to be done to establish whether it is not just a mistake, let alone wheat it’s actually a message from aliens.

READ MORE
Scientists find closest ever ‘second Earth’ that could harbour life

The message appeared to have come from a nearby star, HD164595, in the constellation Hercules. That star is 95 light years away – relatively close at the scale of the universe – and almost exactly the same size as our star.

What’s more, that same star has at least one planet, HD164595b, which is roughly the size of Neptune and has a 40-day year. It’s that planet that has people excited, since it appears that it could have the right conditions for supporting life.

The signal came to public attention after it was written about by science fiction author Paul Gilster, who maintains a blog that looks at deep space exploration and alien life. Until then it had been fairly unnoticed – the signal was actually detected in May last year, and was only brought to light after a presentation by the scientists who found it.

Claudio Maccone of the University of Turin in Italy attended a talk by the two scientists, who work at Russia’s Ratan-600 telescope. He passed that data on to Mr Gilster, who then wrote up the blog that revealed it.

0:00
/
0:00

Possible second Earth discovered“No one is claiming that this is the work of an extraterrestrial civilization, but it is certainly worth further study,” wrote Mr Gilster on his site Centauri Dreams.

He wrote that the strength of the signal might suggest that it came from a Kardashev Type II civilisation. The Kardeshev scale indicates how advanced an alien civilisation might be: a Type I civilisation can use and store energy from a nearby star as we can, whereas a Type II civilisation can harness the energy of the entire star and would be far more advanced than we are.

“Working out the strength of the signal, the researchers say that if it came from an isotropic beacon, it would be of a power possible only for a Kardashev Type II civilization. If it were a narrow beam signal focused on our Solar System, it would be of a power available to a Kardashev Type I civilization.”

He did acknowledge that the signal might have been noise rather than an actual signal. But he wrote that scientists should at least keep a closer watch on it to be sure.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...-a7216041.html
Old 09-28-2016, 08:14 AM
Stay Metal

Received 812 Likes on 636 Posts
Old 02-27-2017, 04:28 PM
youtu.be/TejoMjHk3x0

This is pretty crazy!

SPACEX TO SEND PRIVATELY CREWED DRAGON SPACECRAFT BEYOND THE MOON NEXT YEAR

We are excited to announce that SpaceX has been approached to fly two private citizens on a trip around the moon late next year. They have already paid a significant deposit to do a moon mission. Like the Apollo astronauts before them, these individuals will travel into space carrying the hopes and dreams of all humankind, driven by the universal human spirit of exploration. We expect to conduct health and fitness tests, as well as begin initial training later this year. Other flight teams have also expressed strong interest and we expect more to follow. Additional information will be released about the flight teams, contingent upon their approval and confirmation of the health and fitness test results.

Most importantly, we would like to thank NASA, without whom this would not be possible. NASA’s Commercial Crew Program, which provided most of the funding for Dragon 2 development, is a key enabler for this mission. In addition, this will make use of the Falcon Heavy rocket, which was developed with internal SpaceX funding. Falcon Heavy is due to launch its first test flight this summer and, once successful, will be the most powerful vehicle to reach orbit after the Saturn V moon rocket. At 5 million pounds of liftoff thrust, Falcon Heavy is two-thirds the thrust of Saturn V and more than double the thrust of the next largest launch vehicle currently flying.

Later this year, as part of NASA’s Commercial Crew Program, we will launch our Crew Dragon (Dragon Version 2) spacecraft to the International Space Station. This first demonstration mission will be in automatic mode, without people on board. A subsequent mission with crew is expected to fly in the second quarter of 2018. SpaceX is currently contracted to perform an average of four Dragon 2 missions to the ISS per year, three carrying cargo and one carrying crew. By also flying privately crewed missions, which NASA has encouraged, long-term costs to the government decline and more flight reliability history is gained, benefiting both government and private missions.

Once operational Crew Dragon missions are underway for NASA, SpaceX will launch the private mission on a journey to circumnavigate the moon and return to Earth. Lift-off will be from Kennedy Space Center’s historic Pad 39A near Cape Canaveral – the same launch pad used by the Apollo program for its lunar missions. This presents an opportunity for humans to return to deep space for the first time in 45 years and they will travel faster and further into the Solar System than any before them.

Designed from the beginning to carry humans, the Dragon spacecraft already has a long flight heritage. These missions will build upon that heritage, extending it to deep space mission operations, an important milestone as we work towards our ultimate goal of transporting humans to Mars.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,455 Likes on 3,184 Posts
Old 02-28-2017, 07:06 AM
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
They haven`t disclosed what the two private citizens are paying to fly around the moon.

I hope it covers the cost of fuel at least..
Old 02-28-2017, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Received 197 Likes on 128 Posts
I was thinking of making a separate thread for this, considering it's definitely one of the stupid fucking things I've ever encountered in my life, but since we're talking about the SpaceX program here, here goes:

Brianna Wu claims companies could destroy cities by dropping rocks from Moon - Washington Times

A transgender-issues activist and Democratic candidate for Congress says the advent of the space tourism industry could give private corporations a “frightening amount of power” to destroy the Earth with rocks because of the Moon’s military importance.

Brianna Wu, a prominent “social justice warrior” in the “Gamergate” controversy who now is running for the House seat in Massachusetts’ 8th District, suggested in a since-deleted tweet that companies could drop rocks from the Moon.

“The moon is probably the most tactically valuable military ground for earth,” the tweet said. “Rocks dropped from there have power of 100s of nuclear bombs.” After users on social media questioned her scientific literacy, the congressional candidate clarified that the tweet was “talking about dropping [rocks] into our gravity well.”

Ms. Wu blamed criticism of her on sexism: “that’s the danger of being a woman on the internet!” she exclaimed.

and lol at "danger of being a woman on the internet" I don't even know where to begin with that.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Someone should point out meteors to her.

Just further proof that stupidity infiltrates all groups.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:28 AM
youtu.be/TejoMjHk3x0

These Jupiter photos coming in from Juno are awesome!

The only thing more awesome is this composite video

Old 05-30-2017, 12:29 AM
youtu.be/TejoMjHk3x0

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 05-30-2017 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:46 AM
youtu.be/TejoMjHk3x0

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA View Post
These Jupiter photos coming in from Juno are awesome!

The only thing more awesome is this composite video

https://vimeo.com/219216194
I found another that has an extra minute of footage but a totally different song that gives it a very different vibe. Check this one out too.

Yes I know where the song is from but I don't want to say, I'd rather it be a surprise for y'all since I think it's such a great choice
Old 07-21-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 1,359 Likes on 959 Posts
Total solar eclipse is in 1 month. Whose gonna try to watch it?

its on a Monday at 10:15AM for me

might buy those eclipse glasses off Amazon.

i was looking into a solar filter for my camera but a 18-stop filter is like $150!!!
Old 07-21-2017, 12:26 PM

Nvm found this, I'll go this route.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=Y&sku=1319795
Old 07-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,346 Likes on 2,026 Posts
Path of Totality is about 1-1/2 hours south. If we stay put, 98% obscuration.

Interactive NASA Map here: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/d...map/index.html

Eclipse Veiwers here: Buy Eclipse Glasses and Solar Viewers ? Eclipse Glasses for Total Solar Eclipse 2017
Old 07-21-2017, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mizouse View Post

https://www.rainbowsymphony.com/solar-filters/
Old 07-21-2017, 12:44 PM

Bearcat94

whats wrong with the ones I linked?
Old 07-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Bearcat94

whats wrong with the ones I linked?

Nothing as far as I know.

Just an alternate source.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:15 PM

Cool, thanks
Old 08-05-2017, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,213 Posts
Old 08-05-2017, 05:25 PM
Dan
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts
[QUOTE=Bearcat94;16062489]Path of Totality is about 1-1/2 hours south. If we stay put, 98% obscuration. /QUOTE]

98% < 100%! You have a car, use it. Trust me. I have the good fortune to be staying at a friends house in Gates OR. Time to rant about corporate greed now; Normal airfare from Ontario CA to Portland OR is about $200. Now it is $650. Normal (6) day compact car rental around $40 a day. Now it is $183 a day. Portland Airport now has ZERO cars available for rent. Another thing to cross off the Bucket List.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,213 Posts
Last I checked, you can still get a hotel room in Casper, WY for $1400
Old 08-05-2017, 07:42 PM

meh i got work. i should have a clear view from SF (weather permitting). i believe we'll get around 80%
Old 08-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Interactive map showing exact times for your location: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/d...map/index.html
Old 08-12-2017, 08:32 PM

So the filter i got works well. tested it out this afternoon. but my 70-200mm lens is a bit too short. im gonna either have to put up with the heavy crop or buy a 2x extender asap. (can't afford a sigma 150-600mm or any longer lens at this time)

Well crap, 200mm is definitely too short for the eclipse.
maybe a 2x extender is gonna need to be purchased asap.

uncropped

To show you how much i cropped it

cropped

Total solar eclipse is in 1 month. Whose gonna try to watch it?

its on a Monday at 10:15AM for me

might buy those eclipse glasses off Amazon.

i was looking into a solar filter for my camera but a 18-stop filter is like $150!!!

Old 08-12-2017, 10:12 PM
Dan
Registered Member

Then, with frightful velocity, the actual shadow of the moon is often seen approaching, a tangible darkness advancing almost like a wall, swift as imagination, silent as doom. The immensity of nature never comes quite so near as then, and strong must be the nerves not to quiver as this blue-black shadow rushes upon the spectator with incredible speed. A vast, palpable presence seems to overwhelm the world. The blue sky changes to gray or dull purple, speedily becoming more dusky, and a death-like trance seizes upon everything earthly...Then out upon the darkness, gruesome but sublime, flashes the glory of the incomparable corona, a silvery, soft, unearthly light, with radiant streamers, stretching at times millions of uncomprehended miles into space, while the rosy, flame-like prominences skirt the black rim of the moon in ethereal splendor. It becomes curiously cold, dew frequently forms, and the chill is perhaps mental as well as physical.Mabel Loomis Todd 1894
Old 08-12-2017, 11:20 PM
youtu.be/TejoMjHk3x0

So the filter i got works well. tested it out this afternoon. but my 70-200mm lens is a bit too short. im gonna either have to put up with the heavy crop or buy a 2x extender asap. (can't afford a sigma 150-600mm or any longer lens at this time)
Dude just get closer, like, stand on a hill or something
Old 08-13-2017, 01:28 AM

Old 08-13-2017, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
I bought that same filter from B&H and tried it out on my Canon 100-400L lens today. Perfect fit and worked quite well, given the price. I didn't think about using the 1.4X teleconverter I have. I'll try that tomorrow.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:49 PM

Is that cropped?

yea I definitely need something longer than 200mm
Old 08-13-2017, 06:25 PM
Dan
Registered Member

Don't stress to much about photos and miss the moment! Better pics on the inter-web than we will ever take. I am more interested in photographing peoples reaction.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:51 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Wifey and I waited a little too long to get glasses, can't find any anywhere and Amazon seems to be out, too...

Can I just wear 10 pairs of sunglasses?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:58 PM

just make a pin hole camera if you really want to see it.

How to Make a Pinhole Camera Project | NASA/JPL Edu
Old 08-20-2017, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator

On 17 August 2017, the Wyoming Magazineweb site published an article suggesting that NASA scientists had “miscalculated” the dates of a then-imminent solar eclipse:

HOUSTON, TX — After double-checking their math, scientists have announced that the total lunar eclipse predicted for August 21, 2017, will occur August 3, 2018.

“Due to a computational mishap, the eclipse we projected for later this month will actually take place late next year,” stated NASA astrophysicist Dr. Theodore Moneta at a hastily-planned press conference from Johnson Space Center in Houston. “We were a bit off.”

Dr. Moneta explained that in calculating the date of the eclipse, scientists utilized a complex formula involving geocentric ephemeris for the Sun and Moon, various parameters, constants, and the Besselian elements, but along the way an error went unnoticed.

“In layman’s terms, we forgot to carry the one,” explained Moneta, a mistake that has plagued 12-year-olds in 7th grade math for centuries.

“It’s disappointing,” stated Matt Mead, governor of Wyoming, upon hearing the news. “Obviously, the NASA nerds really dropped the ball on this one.”
@NASA

FACT CHECK: Scientists Miscalculate, Solar Eclipse Actually Next Year?
Old 08-21-2017, 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,166 Posts

#FakeNews
Old 08-21-2017, 09:48 AM

It's cloudy for me

Old 08-21-2017, 01:29 PM

The yelling worked!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Astronomy News and Discussion Thread

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.