Notices

Any good sunglasses out there?

Old 03-23-2014, 12:28 PM
nnInn

Received 1,068 Likes on 635 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA View Post
Almost every single pair of sunglasses from a brand you've heard of are all made by the same company Luxottica. They make all of these brands

RAY-BAN
They bought the RayBan name a few years back and didn't do anything with it for about two years. Then when they introduce them back to the market, they priced them at four to five times what they were before they bought them. Great for business, but not for peoples wallets!
Old 03-23-2014, 12:36 PM
nnInn

Received 1,068 Likes on 635 Posts
Originally Posted by subinf View Post
ummmm no
As long as lenses have UV protection, they are pretty much the same. Just styled differently and one hell of a mark up!

The higher prices one's are only about fashion and making the wearer fell better. It gives you a little more sense to them because they cost so much and you're more likely to take better care of them and secure them better.

All the tinted lenses, regardless of price, offer similar protection to the top end of the UVA wavelength range.

Many factors affect the sun protection of a pair of sunglasses, but the results of this study are clear. When choosing sunglasses solely for UVA/UVB protection there’s no need to go for the pricier specs. And in a pinch, any pair of polycarbonate lenses will do – even standard safety goggles, although they won’t do anything to cut the glare or make you look cool.

http://blog.halma.com/environmental-...ve-sunglasses/
Old 03-23-2014, 12:42 PM
One on the right for me

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts
I'm not wearing expensive sun glasses but, from what I have seen with the $5 - $10 frames, they are total shit.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Kev1n View Post
i think you just need a pair with polarized lenses right?
I don't even know what polarized means.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mugen.Justice View Post
I know you said you're looking for a sub-$200 pair, but this is the one I'm rocking. Website retails for $230, but if I get Sunglass Hut coupons all the time. I believe they often have one which if you spend over $100 on a pair, you get $50 off.

Ray-Ban RB8305 Polarized. Because carbon fiber.

Haha, really though. Real light (obviously), and I love the sleek, frameless look. So worth it, especially it's my first quality pair of shades. I'm no longer messing about now that I got LASIK done.

Doubly worth it since it was a birthday present from the ex-gf.
That one looks nice.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 810 Likes on 643 Posts
Originally Posted by MySoCalLife View Post
I'm not sure of the technical definition but I'll tell you this. Good polarized lenses means when you put them on everything seems clearer and more defined, colors almost seem to "pop" more. They also make it easier to see into water instead of seeing the reflection on top of the water.

I say good polarized lenses because you'll notice a difference between the $20-40 dollar ones and the $100 plus ones.

Regardless of whether you buy at sunglasses hut or a similar sunglasses store, you need to check some out live and in person. Sunglasses sit on your nose, right in front of your eyes rest I your ears and may squeeze your temples. There may be lots of really nice sunglasses that you personally find uncomfortable.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,161 Likes on 1,232 Posts
Try a pair of Maui Jims and you'll see the difference. They're pricey but they should last you a long time and their customer service is excellent!

Eye protection and being able to clearly see something should be important to you
Old 03-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Dan
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts
I second the Serengeti Drivers.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jupitersolo View Post
As long as lenses have UV protection, they are pretty much the same. Just styled differently and one hell of a mark up!

The higher prices one's are only about fashion and making the wearer fell better. It gives you a little more sense to them because they cost so much and you're more likely to take better care of them and secure them better.

http://blog.halma.com/environmental-...ve-sunglasses/
So my $20 no brand name works the same as the $200 ray ban when it comes to blocking the suns ray? .
I just might have to wait for these, lol

Old 03-23-2014, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL View Post
Try a pair of Maui Jims and you'll see the difference. They're pricey but they should last you a long time and their customer service is excellent!

Eye protection and being able to clearly see something should be important to you
I wonder if the people selling those sunglasses would allowed me to walk outside to see the difference it makes.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:12 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Lots of recommendations for Maui Jim's which I like a lot. My only complaint with them (at least th ones I had) was that they were a bit fragile. The lenses were some of the best I've seen though.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Recruits for Satan

Received 130 Likes on 83 Posts

Well they might have the same UV protection but the quality of the lens sucks. I have tried cheap glasses but they tend to give me headaches as the light gets distorted through the lower quality lens. I am not saying there isn't a markup for Oakley or Maui Jims but to me it is worth it to avoid a headache.

This is from someone who wore regular glasses for years when I was a kid until I was 18 then contacts for another 7 years.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,080 Posts
Ray Ban or Maui Jim.

I think that of ALL the sunglasses out there that I have ever put on, Maui Jim lenses have (and use in their manufacturing) the highest quality optical glass. The same glass your optometrist would use in making you a pair of glasses. I see ZERO optical or color distortion in Maui Jim lenses. I like my Ray Bans too, but I think side by side, the Maui Jims have better optical clarity and less eye fatigue as a result.

Polarized is the ONLY way to go IMO, although if you spend a lot of time looking at LCD screens (photographer, video, etc) then try with and without before purchasing.

If you are looking for a pair of discount Maui Jims, I might be convinced to sell you a used pair of Big Kahuna's. I am looking to get a different style MJs.

stock photo:
Old 03-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the offer, but i don't think that will look good on me. I have a big head and high cheek bones which makes 99 % of the sunglasses out there look funny on me.
this guys is dead on point with that issue.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I wear everything from $5 pairs of safety sunglasses for work to $300+ pairs of Gucci sunglasses. Honestly the only thing that differentiates them for me is what I intend to do with them, I'd never wear my Ray Bans or Gucci sunglasses at work but they do provide a better lens. Go with a good set of sunglasses and they'll last you years whereas my cheap work safety glasses last two weeks tops.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:30 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 667 Likes on 525 Posts
They bought the RayBan name a few years back and didn't do anything with it for about two years. Then when they introduce them back to the market, they priced them at four to five times what they were before they bought them.
Now that Luxxotica has taken over production, the Ray Ban Large Metal aviator lenses are no longer stamped with the Bausch & Lomb logo, and the frames are made in Italy.
My previous pair had the frame stamped with "Made in the U.S." with a tiny "B&L" etched onto each lens.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Will Y. View Post
Now that Luxxotica has taken over production, the Ray Ban Large Metal aviator lenses are no longer stamped with the Bausch & Lomb logo, and the frames are made in Italy.
My previous pair had the frame stamped with "Made in the U.S." with a tiny "B&L" etched onto each lens.
Italy = where everything (EVERYTHING) is over-price, just because its made in italy.
LOL
Old 03-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,004 Likes on 2,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
Well they might have the same UV protection but the quality of the lens sucks. I have tried cheap glasses but they tend to give me headaches as the light gets distorted through the lower quality lens. I am not saying there isn't a markup for Oakley or Maui Jims but to me it is worth it to avoid a headache.

This is from someone who wore regular glasses for years when I was a kid until I was 18 then contacts for another 7 years.
Agree. After burning my eyes a few times back in high school I typically only wear polarized Oakley, Ray Bans, or Maui Jims. The eye strain is far less with them to me.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Received 146 Likes on 112 Posts
Polarized Lenses make it hard to read Instrument Panel

For driving, I avoid polarized lenses. While it does block sun glare, it also makes it hard to read your instrument panel and gps / mobile phone. To see what I mean, put on a pair of polarized sunglasses and look at your phone. Then rotate the phone 90 degrees and it will be hard to read (or better, depending on the starting point).

Get a good pair of regular sunglasses that block UV A and UV B rays.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:46 PM
One on the right for me

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts
I've only had issues with a phone screen at certain angles. It is at most a minor inconvenience.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Dan
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by WheelMcCoy View Post
For driving, I avoid polarized lenses. While it does block sun glare, it also makes it hard to read your instrument panel and gps / mobile phone. To see what I mean, put on a pair of polarized sunglasses and look at your phone. Then rotate the phone 90 degrees and it will be hard to read (or better, depending on the starting point).

Get a good pair of regular sunglasses that block UV A and UV B rays.

These;
https://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/10022
Old 03-23-2014, 05:26 PM
Currently Post-Acura

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by black label View Post
Regardless of whether you buy at sunglasses hut or a similar sunglasses store, you need to check some out live and in person. Sunglasses sit on your nose, right in front of your eyes rest I your ears and may squeeze your temples. There may be lots of really nice sunglasses that you personally find uncomfortable.
^This. I didn't buy online since I wanted to make sure of the comfort, and also because there are a lot of claims of knock offs, but people can classify this however. I almost can't even wear my Oakley's anymore since they are so tight on my head while my RB's are perfectly comfortable. And +1 on the polarized. My iPhone screen looks green with them on and my Pioneer head unit is a little harder to read, but the polarized for looking through the windshield on a sunny day makes all the difference. That carbon fiber pair looks great, too.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:54 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by stogie1020 View Post
Ray Ban or Maui Jim.
Out of curiosity, have you ever tried Revo? I always loved the Revo lenses but the styles I liked were always in the $300+ price range and I couldn't justify it because I have a tendency to break or lose them.

I didn't recommend them to the OP because of the prices.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 3,062 Likes on 2,163 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike View Post
I've got some Oakley Whiskers .
Old 03-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

I bought a pair of Ray Bans once, but I lost them. I buy at least 2 pairs of sunglasses at a time now, usually at target for $20 a pop, I always lose or break them, so I like to keep a pair as a backup, always buy polarized though

:coolstorybro:
Old 03-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Received 374 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA View Post
Almost every single pair of sunglasses from a brand you've heard of are all made by the same company Luxottica.
60 Minutes

Typical left wing hit-job, motivated by Marxist hatred of a successful enterprise, and chock-full of passive-aggressive snark.

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
...pretty much wherever you go and whatever you buy, it's probably made in the same place by the same company. So don't expect drastic differences in quality.
It's utterly naive to suggest that all Luxottica products are basically the same and then marketed by a class hierarchy of logos. That would be extremely inefficient.

The quality of lens and frame varies widely based upon the purpose, price point and market.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Chillin' in my trailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like my Costa Del Mar sunglasses!
Old 03-23-2014, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

Received 374 Likes on 231 Posts
Thanks for the offer, but i don't think that will look good on me. I have a big head and high cheek bones which makes 99 % of the sunglasses out there look funny on me.
You seem to be interested primarily in style and appearance. If so, then you should be able to find something at the drugstore, wallyworld, etc.

If you value performance and don't want eyestrain, the the Maui Jim Canoes that you posted on page 1 would be an excellent choice.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:15 PM
#GOBULLS

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Check out Fossil. They are a little cheaper then the big names but are still made of good quality. They also have several styles to choose from.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,161 Likes on 1,232 Posts
Originally Posted by RyanCHICL View Post
Check out Fossil. They are a little cheaper then the big names but are still made of good quality. They also have several styles to choose from.
I've had a few from Fossil that were decent. Some color distortion and 'tinge' but they were also under $50.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Banned

Received 959 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy View Post
Good for you.
It wasn't the frames for me, it was the lenses. When I worked for a sporting goods company an Oakley rep came by and did a demonstration for us. I would only buy the $20 glasses from the mall cart because I would keep losing them. The difference between the lenses was like SDTV to HDTV. I was amazed at how much better the optics were, and I'm not even talking polarized. I knew I had to have a pair immediately.

The stems are nicer, the nose pads are more comfortable, the metal is higher quality.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:27 AM

Received 13,973 Likes on 10,379 Posts
I enjoy my $200 Maui Jim's because they are light weight.
a $5 dollar pair cannot and will not be as light weight and comfortable as the more expensive Maui Jim's.

also, the polarized lens is cool, except when looking at my smart phone
Old 03-24-2014, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Received 3,514 Likes on 1,723 Posts
Electric Tech One Polarized.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Nice sunglasses brah
Old 03-24-2014, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Received 266 Likes on 227 Posts
Going with polarized wayfarers in black for this summer. Gonna be my hipster euro trip summer glasses. Also got aviators polarized, great glasses. Won't buy anything not polarized any more
Old 03-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,080 Posts
Originally Posted by black label View Post
Out of curiosity, have you ever tried Revo? I always loved the Revo lenses but the styles I liked were always in the $300+ price range and I couldn't justify it because I have a tendency to break or lose them.

I didn't recommend them to the OP because of the prices.
Have not looked at them since the late 80's.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 377 Likes on 190 Posts
Last 2 pairs for me have been Von Zipper Decco. The ones I have now are the polarized in tortoise. Scored them for $80 on Amazon Prime. They are really nice and they are made in Italy not China. That was a big factor when I chose them.

http://us.shop.vonzipper.com/p/sungl...PFQDEC&clr=TPP
Old 03-24-2014, 12:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,439 Likes on 3,178 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy View Post
The ones that I have had have all been very sturdy. Metal frames.
Although, the days of $5 reliable glasses are over, I still don't go over $20 because of this. vvv
Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL View Post
I bought a pair of Ray Bans once, but I lost them. I buy at least 2 pairs of sunglasses at a time now, usually at target for $20 a pop, I always lose or break them, so I like to keep a pair as a backup, always buy polarized though

:coolstorybro:

From my elementary high school physics learnings: When light is reflected, the reflected wave changes polarity 90 degrees. This means that a wave that was moving vertically will reflect horizontally. Polarized lenses effectively have a "shutter" that blocks waves moving perpendicular to their "shutters". If you take two polarized lenses, turn one 90 degrees, and overlap them, no light will pass through. In 3D image technology, one camera is polarized one way, the other is polarized 90 degrees off, and each lens over the eye blocks one of the polarizations.

This affects the real world by arranging the "shutters" such that the reflected light gets blocked and the original light is allowed to pass through. If I understand correctly, original light from the sun is moving in vertical waves and the reflected light from car hoods, glass, concrete, etc. is moving in horizontal waves.

Again, just my memory for physics 102, so you may want to cross check my info before quoting it.
Originally Posted by stogie1020 View Post
Have not looked at them since the late 80's.

Last edited by oo7spy; 03-24-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Yeah right, you googled that shit
Old 03-24-2014, 01:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,439 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any good sunglasses out there?

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.