Amazon.com introduces Amazon Prime - Page 2 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Amazon.com introduces Amazon Prime

Old 01-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #41
The Third Ball

Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko8221 View Post
Amazon participates in the Carrier Release program with USPS. Amazon parcels almost always say "Carrier - Leave if no response" on the label. The mail carrier is SUPPOSED to attempt the delivery at the door first to see if the recipient is home. If no one is home the parcel can be left there and a notice is supposed to be placed in the mailbox listing the location of the parcel. It is up to the sender (Amazon) to make you whole if some asshole steals your parcel.

https://about.usps.com/postal-bullet...l/updt_005.htm
I get that...but I live in a condo and this has been an issue with packages prior to amazon.

Our mailboxes our outside our gate and we have 6 big package lockers where the key gets left in your mailbox. USPS usual leaves a package pick up slip when there is a package and you weren't home (or in this case...wouldnt fit in the box or they were all full) But our guy just leaves them all...sitting out in the open in the front of our building (and now inside our gate but still easily accessible)

Its not just Amazon boxes, though they have become the most prevalent. Its all packages sent via USPS.

There have been many other issues with them as well.

But the fact that amazon has taken to this course of delivery...when the past several years I always had straight deliveries to my door step from amazon via fed-ex and sometimes ups...to usps and how they work, annoying to say the least.
Sarlacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:56 PM   #42
astronaut

Thanked 1,528 Times in 888 Posts
Should move to a better neighborhood....
AZuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:46 AM   #43

Thanked 7,865 Times in 5,732 Posts
Raise their prices.. damn. I might quit as well. I've been using prime streaming a bit because I didn't use it at all for the first 6 months. They have some good shows or an extended number of seasons on some shows but it doesn't seem like their library is as good as Netflix. The prime UI is horrible. Netflix is much better in that respect.

In regards to shipping, I haven't had a problem yet. Everything I've ordered has come on time. Half of my orders around the holidays showed a bit of pushback but I ended up receiving them in 2 days. I actually really like USPS. I have some horror stories with FedEx and UPS. FedEx at least resolved things on their end very well. I'm still sour with UPS. I've never had a lost / late package with USPS via express or priority.

In my community we receive USPS mail at a central delivery post where every homeowner has a lock box, including large lock boxes for boxes. I get most of my prime deliveries at the delivery post which is bonus. I always get anxious when I get a UPS / FedEx delivery because they leave it at the door. Even when I'm home, they don't ring the bell / knock on the door, so many times the package ends up sitting in front of the door for hours unknowingly.

Even when I get a package from UPS requiring signature, they don't even knock on my door. They just leave a slip saying to pick it up after the trucks pull in. I tried catching UPS for week on a package, was even home twice but no knock, just a slip. Ended up going to the facility and waiting 2 hours to pick up the package. Truck driver didn't come in until 9. USPS on the other hand always knocks / rings and they stick around long enough for me to answer and sign.

Also, it's a farce that the USPS is in need of saving or have a golden parachute. They make tremendous profit and none of it by our tax dollars.
Majofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:46 AM   #44
Sold acid to L.RonHubbard

^^ I was under the impression that USPS is fucked because of something Congress passed requiring them fund pensions/retirement benefits 75 year into the future. Billions a year for employees that aren't born yet.

Get this - I was hung up on by the USPS customer service robot! I was supposed to have a package delivered by them (through UPS Surepost) and I wasn't home and they allegedly left a notice (they didn't). So I called to have it sorted out and the damn robot wouldn't put me in touch with a human. It kept insisting that it would be able to help me, but it couldn't, so I kept jamming on the 0 key after 20 minutes of frustration. At that point it told me that it's fully up to date and no customer service reps are available - Goodbye. There's no queue? Wtf? What kind of customer service software has a "hang up on the customer" option. >_<
CUNextTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #45
Registered Member

A Prime membership can be shared among you and 3 other people, so that's what I do. We all chip in for the the $80 fee the beginning of the year. It pays for itself by Christmas time. I for one never use the video service, they don't have anything good anyway. If they raised it to $100, I will still keep the service.
pebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #46
The Third Ball

Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,521 Posts
I've just straight up yelled at USPS people at my local location over the dumbest of incompetence.

Fed-Ex is still the best, to me.

UPS is balls.
USPS is the under-carriage.
Sarlacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:06 AM   #47

Yeah USPS can be a mixed bag.. of nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday View Post
^^ I was under the impression that USPS is fucked because of something Congress passed requiring them fund pensions/retirement benefits 75 year into the future. Billions a year for employees that aren't born yet.
Exactly! That's why they say they are in the hole every year by billions, because it accounts for that dumbass bill set in 2006 for future employee health fund. Pretty much congress saying, USPS, we estimate this health care fund will require 16B dollars over the next 75 years, pay this in the next 5 years. I'm guessing some members in congress got their palms and johnsons greased.

Otherwise it seems like the government is using this fund to dip their hand into the postal service so they can continue to wipe their ass with $100 bills.

What's worse is USPS inspector general audited their payments into CSRS, originally set by GAO, and calculated an overpayment of 50 to 75B dollars. Even though the GAO fucked the calculation and admitted they overpaid, they won't give that money back ($75B dollars), which could have been used as a big fuck you to congress.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majofo View Post

Yeah USPS can be a mixed bag.. of nuts.

Exactly! That's why they say they are in the hole every year by billions, because it accounts for that dumbass bill set in 2006 for future employee health fund. Pretty much congress saying, USPS, we estimate this health care fund will require 16B dollars over the next 75 years, pay this in the next 5 years. I'm guessing some members in congress got their palms and johnsons greased.

Otherwise it seems like the government is using this fund to dip their hand into the postal service so they can continue to wipe their ass with $100 bills.

What's worse is USPS inspector general audited their payments into CSRS, originally set by GAO, and calculated an overpayment of 50 to 75B dollars. Even though the GAO fucked the calculation and admitted they overpaid, they won't give that money back ($75B dollars), which could have been used as a big fuck you to congress.

How are they not required to give that money back?! o.O

Sounds like Congress just wants to see the USPS crash and burn.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #49

pretty much..
Old 01-31-2014, 12:17 PM   #50

Thanked 1,630 Times in 952 Posts
For what it's worth, I've never had trouble with USPS. UPS and Fedex used to wait by my door years ago, but now they run the door bell and knock on the door loudly. By the time I get to the door the guy is already taking off in his truck parked across the street!

The only time a package went missing was a UPS delivery. They passed the buck to Amazon and I had to take it up with them to get it resolved. Amazon sent me another shipment, no extra charge.

YMMV...
Costco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:22 PM   #51

Thanked 1,630 Times in 952 Posts
On a positive note, I really like the text notifications from Amazon. That way I can go straight home to pick up my deliveries on my lunch or something. They sometimes get delayed, but whatever.

More about the delivery service... I have a pillar and plants delivery guys can hide stuff behind. They're all good about concealing stuff, but one time a USPS delivery guy hid a box... on my stoop. Tried hiding it under the mat
Costco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:29 PM   #52
Registered Member

UPS usually drops packages at my garage door. They don't even bother to ring the bell.
Never an issue with USPS or FedEx though.
doopstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:38 PM   #53

Old 01-31-2014, 03:02 PM   #54
cameras R my crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costco View Post
For what it's worth, I've never had trouble with USPS. UPS and Fedex used to wait by my door years ago, but now they run the door bell and knock on the door loudly. By the time I get to the door the guy is already taking off in his truck parked across the street!

The only time a package went missing was a UPS delivery. They passed the buck to Amazon and I had to take it up with them to get it resolved. Amazon sent me another shipment, no extra charge.

YMMV...
That's not passing the buck, you didn't ship it, amazon did. Amazon the sender will deal with their BS, not you.
jupitersolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:05 PM   #55

Old 01-31-2014, 04:10 PM   #56
Senior Moderator

Thanked 12,842 Times in 7,947 Posts
So, this is not a jungle-dwelling Autobot leader...?
Yumcha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #57
The sizzle in the Steak

Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA View Post
I have Netflix and Hulu Plus.

Prime has more of what I watch.
Moog-Type-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:05 PM   #58
Registered Member

I don't really have any issues with USPS, but haven't really had many deliveries by them. UPS sucks. They don't ring the bell and the guy will leave thousands of dollars of electronics outside in the rain. FedEX on the other hand rocks. Their guys (different drivers) will actually pull around the back of the house (driveway is in rear) and they will put all my packages inside our rear porch. All I have to do when I am expecting a delivery is leave the door unlocked. I have NEVER asked them to do this, but they do it anyway. I left notes asking UPS to do this, and they NEVER do it, not even once.

Also, I get a lot more deliveries than most, most likely, due to the fact I run my business out of the house. I use Amazon Prime to get things quickly if my regular suppliers are out of stock. I have spent a LOT with Amazon over the last 5 years. I have dialed back though due to the fact they opened a fulfillment center here in CT as well (or are building one). We have to pay tax now too. I have to check and see if I can submit my Sales and Use Tax Permit to get out of paying the tax, as most times I am getting items for jobs, and those taxes should be passed on to the client.
2001AudiS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:17 PM   #59
cameras R my crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4 View Post
I don't really have any issues with USPS, but haven't really had many deliveries by them. UPS sucks. They don't ring the bell and the guy will leave thousands of dollars of electronics outside in the rain. FedEX on the other hand rocks. Their guys (different drivers) will actually pull around the back of the house (driveway is in rear) and they will put all my packages inside our rear porch. All I have to do when I am expecting a delivery is leave the door unlocked. I have NEVER asked them to do this, but they do it anyway. I left notes asking UPS to do this, and they NEVER do it, not even once.

Also, I get a lot more deliveries than most, most likely, due to the fact I run my business out of the house. I use Amazon Prime to get things quickly if my regular suppliers are out of stock. I have spent a LOT with Amazon over the last 5 years. I have dialed back though due to the fact they opened a fulfillment center here in CT as well (or are building one). We have to pay tax now too. I have to check and see if I can submit my Sales and Use Tax Permit to get out of paying the tax, as most times I am getting items for jobs, and those taxes should be passed on to the client.
UPS will do what their agreement is with the shipper. Leaving items is whether or not the shipper demands a signature. Pretty cool with what FedEx will do, but I think there's a legal reason or maybe union reason why the UPS guys won't.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:20 PM   #60
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitersolo View Post
UPS will do what their agreement is with the shipper. Leaving items is whether or not the shipper demands a signature. Pretty cool with what FedEx will do, but I think there's a legal reason or maybe union reason why the UPS guys won't.
UPS will leave them, just at the front door in the elements
Old 02-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #61
Banned

It all depends on your location. I almost never get stuff from FedEx unless it is Saturday delivery. 90% of the time I get my stuff from UPS, and I prefer them. I know about when to expect them on a particular day, between 10a and 11a. FedEx and USPS are unpredictable. Lasership might drop off at 11p.
CocheseUGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #62

Quote:
That's not passing the buck, you didn't ship it, amazon did. Amazon the sender will deal with their BS, not you.
8=====amazon=====lD

~=P <3 you
Old 02-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #63
cameras R my crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday View Post
8=====amazon=====lD

~=P <3 you
Old 02-01-2014, 10:10 PM   #64

Quote:

In other news, I got some socks on time through prime yesterday. I've never had problems with the service unless it's an item shipped via UPS Surepost.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:38 PM   #65
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Love Prime. Never had a problem with any carrier with them until my last shipment. UPS decided to give my package to my neighbor. It took me nearly a week and a half to get my workout supplements because they were never home.

Thankfully, Amazon apologized after my complaint and gifted me a $50 Amazon GC without hesitation. Now that's called customer service.
TheChamp531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:19 AM   #66

Regarding the price hike, it seems like many analyst see this as a bad move. I wonder how many members plan to cancel if they do hike the price. Currently there are more than 18 million members and the program is very profitable at the current price.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #67
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majofo View Post
Regarding the price hike, it seems like many analyst see this as a bad move. I wonder how many members plan to cancel if they do hike the price. Currently there are more than 18 million members and the program is very profitable at the current price.
I suspect a bump in a road then then no problem after that. Netflix recovered from their pricing change a couple years ago. If there is some uproar then maybe they only increase it $10.
doopstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #68

I think with all the people that share Prime it won't be that big of a deal...what's a couple extra dollhairs? I figure that somewhat plays into their decision to raise the price.
Scottman111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #69
Registered Member

Email this morning:

Quote:
Dear ...,

We are writing to provide you advance notice that the price of your Prime membership will be increasing. The annual rate will be $99 when your membership renews on September 2, 2014.

Even as fuel and transportation costs have increased, the price of Prime has remained the same for nine years. Since 2005, the number of items eligible for unlimited free Two-Day Shipping has grown from one million to over 20 million. We also added unlimited access to over 40,000 movies and TV episodes with Prime Instant Video and a selection of over 500,000 books to borrow from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library.

For more information about your Prime membership, visit our Prime membership page.

Sincerely,

The Amazon Prime Team
Not sure what I'm going to do yet.
Anachostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #70

Thanked 12,546 Times in 9,247 Posts
20 dollar increase isnt bad at all.
i regularly use amazon prime for the 2 day shipping
justnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #71
cameras R my crack

So it's only $8.33 per month.....
Old 03-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #72
Unofficial Goat

It's still a deal at $99 IMO.
The Dougler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #73
Registered Member

I ordered an item with prime next day shipping on Monday. Still didn't get it, and tracking shows nothing. After a live chat session on Tuesday and a phone call today, I finally got them to cancel the order and refund the money. I used to use Amazon a lot more, ordering small parts and what not for the business. Mainly I did so because of the fast shipping that used to be dead on accurate. I have had way too many issues as of late so combined with the small increase in fees, I will not be renewing my membership. I'd rather buy somewhere else, even if the shipping is more and it takes a little longer just to know that it will ship when they say it will ship.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #74
Banned

Probably going to keep. They've used Lasershit a whole lot less lately, and I've been getting stuff next-day at times for no additional cost.
CocheseUGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #75
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

If I get the same e-mail, then I'm canceling Prime. Not worth the $20 to me.
gatrhumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #76
cameras R my crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA View Post
Probably going to keep. They've used Lasershit a whole lot less lately, and I've been getting stuff next-day at times for no additional cost.
As they have opened more centers, they have been using Lasership less. I think they also did a new contract with UPS, because I getting less via USPS as well. But still get my orders on time.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #77
Excels at nothing

Thanked 1,410 Times in 759 Posts
Still worth it to me by a long shot.
svtmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #78
My first ricer

I say I'm gonna cancel but I'll probably forget in 3 months and it'll auto renew and I'll say screw it.

Did anybody see about the lawsuits saying they deceptively price Prime items so it's not really free shipping? Curious to see how that turns out.
350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #79

Fuck that, they can suck a bag of dicks.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #80
Registered Member

Thanked 1,539 Times in 1,194 Posts
Worth it to me. We order a lot through Amazon.
maharajamd is offline   Reply With Quote