AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   TL racing section dying down? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/tl-racing-section-dying-down-924535/)

alexSU 01-16-2015 12:22 AM

TL racing section dying down?

Hey guys

I know a lot of members have moved on from Acuras but it'll be cool to hear some racing stories of your current cars :) ive seen a few members with bmw's, infiniti's, audi's, etc...

miss this section since i sold my TL, it was truly a fun car! made so many memories shifting gears like a madman haha thinking i had the fastest thing on 4 wheels :tomato:

share your stories, memories, whatever you wanna tell us :thumbsup:

MODS: let me know if this needs to be moved...id like to keep it race related so we can keep it here but do as you wish

1black_seven 01-17-2015 10:42 AM

I cant speak for everyone, but the tracks close in the winter where I'm at. Regardless of track or backroad racing, winter is not a good time to race.

On another note, nobody really messes with me on the road. Of course the moment I ride in the GS integra all the kids want to screw around.

6spd-GERCO 01-17-2015 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by 1black_seven (Post 15302554)
I cant speak for everyone, but the tracks close in the winter where I'm at. Regardless of track or backroad racing, winter is not a good time to race.

On another note, nobody really messes with me on the road. Of course the moment I ride in the GS integra all the kids want to screw around.

Winter is an awesome time to race if you live in Wisconsin!

Today Road America had their first winter AutoX! Took the TL with snow tires and took 2nd in start and stop and 3rd in AutoX for FWD. :thumbsup: I will have to link a video of my runs once I get a chance to upload it! Got a few compliments on my RV6 exhaust. :toocool:

D's Up 01-18-2015 03:09 AM

What's up Alex, long time since I've seen you post on the forums. I still remember your kill threads. I don't know about the other older members but I'm still out here doing highway pulls whenever it's safe and possible. I just figure that since it's not an Infiniti forum it's not worth posting. I wish this section had some more life in it though, it was definitely my favorite part of the forums back in the day. Haha

anx1300c 01-18-2015 10:24 AM

I only put 500-1000 miles on the TL between Thanksgiving and St Patty's day, so nothing recently.

Last year it was mostly just the requisite Si's and pickups (diesels and gas) that like to mix it up, but I did take out a few WRX's, a 2G TSX, a '94-97 Mustang GT, an LT1 Z28, a really clean MR2 Turbo, a Pentastar Charger (SLOW...still looking to run a newer Hemi), an 8G Accord V6 (had to have been an automatic and stock), because it wasn't even close. Nothing too exciting really.

Flashpro really woke the car up, even if it did hurt my gas mileage a little. At least gas is coming way down in price!

What are you driving now Alex? Still in the 4cyl Accord?

1black_seven 01-18-2015 11:26 AM

^any STI's?
I got a friend of a friend with an 04 WRX STi who wants to run. I'm not feeling confident about it.

anx1300c 01-18-2015 01:21 PM

No STI's. I wouldn't be too worried about a stock one from a roll, but a properly launched one would destroy me from a dig. Even a well launched WRX would get me from a dig.

Never hurts to try though! Some guys don't know how/aren't willing to launch them hard. One of the WRX's I ran, I actually got him fairly easily from a ~5 mph hit to 65-70, then I backed off. He was modded too, exhaust at the very least.

1black_seven 01-19-2015 12:06 PM

If I had a 6mt base FBO I'd be more willing, my concern is I'll probably loose from the auto gearing. 3rd is marginal if you don't vtec into it, 4th gear is long trash.
But like you said it won't hurt to try.

Sonnick 01-23-2015 12:34 PM

I ran a Panamera Turbo a month or so ago and he pulled just under 2 cars from 60~100. Not too bad, but it's not exactly a long run either. I also hit it exactly .32800927 seconds after he did :tomato: Who knows, it could've been packed out cuz that car has over 500hp.

vhtran 01-26-2015 02:17 PM

:tongue:A little over 3000lbs hunk of steel and a 2.5L under the hood that chunks out 174hp of fury, paired up with an AWD and a CVT tranny is painfully fun.

More to say, the only fun I get "for" now is wet/snow weather, especially at the stop lights against 2WD cars. Snowy condition is a plus since I have a set of Blizzak WS80 on.

6spd-GERCO 01-27-2015 06:32 PM

Some Legal competion vs the clock :thumbsup:

TylerT 01-28-2015 02:23 PM

I plan on doing some AutoX in the next couple of months, looks like awfully good fun :thumbsup:

6spd-GERCO 01-28-2015 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by TylerT (Post 15315699)
I plan on doing some AutoX in the next couple of months, looks like awfully good fun :thumbsup:

It's a freaking blast, track days or HPDE get you more seat time but I like to competitive aspect of AutoX racing. If you have an S2000, your set! One of the guys at the local clubs races his S2000 at the ice rally events. Gotta do what you gotta do to get your fix!

TylerT 01-29-2015 11:33 AM

I watched your videos and I have to say, you handled the car well for being FWD. Does the LSD make a big difference?

I never got to track my CLS6, but it made a huge difference in the corners compared to my Accord 6MT.

6spd-GERCO 01-29-2015 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by TylerT (Post 15317006)
I watched your videos and I have to say, you handled the car well for being FWD. Does the LSD make a big difference?

I never got to track my CLS6, but it made a huge difference in the corners compared to my Accord 6MT.

Thanks! If you have to drive with the wrong set of wheels might as well make them work together. The LSD makes all the difference on a FWD car. When I AutoX my Integra LS, which had an open diff, it never was able to accelerate out of the corners like my TL, Just like your CLS6 compared to your Accord 6MT. I was never able to use as much gas as I would have liked to coming out of the corners in the Integra, the inside tire would break free and not allow any power to the outside wheel where I wanted it.

JayHTea 02-16-2015 06:37 AM

I like to do some spirited driving up in the mountains in my '03 type S when I'm not karting. I'm about to purchase a micro sd card for my sister's GoPro 4 silver soon. I'll upload all my adventures in the touge to here when I get the chance.

D's Up 02-18-2015 01:55 PM

I might not have a TL anymore but the G has taken down a couple Evo's and 1 new Sti in the last week and a half. Love this car. Sure it's big and heavy, but it pulls well enough to keep me entertained.

Oh, I got destroyed by a new Jeep SRT from various rolls + a dig yesterday as well. Older guy was driving it, really cool and a good sport. Kept giving me one shot after another and honestly, I think I had more fun losing than he did winning.

Im long overdue for a GoPro and now that I'm looking at picking up a CBR600 I think it's time to get one with a suction cup mount so I can record the pulls in the G and on the bike (if I get one :wish::wish:)

Majofo 02-27-2015 11:42 AM

Alex, I'll trade you racing stories if you trade me MILF stories. :smirk:

alexSU 03-19-2015 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Majofo (Post 15349951)
Alex, I'll trade you racing stories if you trade me MILF stories. :smirk:

Got married last October, so yeah I'll probably have a few MILF stories for ya pretty soon :rofl:

6spd-GERCO 05-21-2015 11:00 PM

Took 1st place in the FWD class for the 2nd event of the Road America winter autocross and \ I took 3rd place in overall points for the 3 events! Whoot I got a trophy and 2 free hot laps on Road America with a Pro driver in a corvette :tongue: of course they drive. :tomato: It's a great event and I plan to attend again next year.

Majofo 05-22-2015 10:47 AM

Nice! :cheers:

Majofo 05-22-2015 10:47 AM

:vtec:

6spd-GERCO 05-22-2015 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Majofo (Post 15445763)
Nice! :cheers:

Originally Posted by Majofo (Post 15445764)
:vtec:

Thank you sir! :cheers: Happy to be representing the TL at the driving events. I had the tech guy told me " you know that's a mini-van engine" I casually smiled and told him it made 250WHP. His response :what: :vtec: Biotch

valco6 06-29-2015 01:38 AM

I'm new to the forum, but I greatly enjoy racing my stock 2004 TL :D I lost to a G35 coupe from a dig (I really need to practice my launching ... it's a 6-spd) but then took him from a roll. Then I rolled my buddy in his Dakota R/t with mods and we were mostly dead even, but I pulled him a little. I'm installing my first mod this week (CAI) so I'm ready to see who all I can take

alexSU 06-29-2015 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by valco6 (Post 15480934)
I'm new to the forum, but I greatly enjoy racing my stock 2004 TL :D I lost to a G35 coupe from a dig (I really need to practice my launching ... it's a 6-spd) but then took him from a roll. Then I rolled my buddy in his Dakota R/t with mods and we were mostly dead even, but I pulled him a little. I'm installing my first mod this week (CAI) so I'm ready to see who all I can take

Nice! Enjoy the car! Practice practice practice, the TL was always tricky to launch.

Dakota R/T the SUV? Dang, didn't know that thing could stay even with a manual TL. What mods did he have?

valco6 06-29-2015 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by alexSU (Post 15480937)
Nice! Enjoy the car! Practice practice practice, the TL was always tricky to launch.

Dakota R/T the SUV? Dang, didn't know that thing could stay even with a manual TL. What mods did he have?

Dakota the truck; gobs of torque. He has intake manifold and exhaust done, putting almost 300 to the ground. It's definitely a quick little truck.

And I practice where I can, I've been testing launching with TC on around 3k RPM, it seems to keep the tires from lighting up but doesn't rob the power too much.

anx1300c 06-30-2015 12:50 PM

Keeping VSA on KILLS power in first and second gear on these cars and they need all the help they can get off the line. Turn it off and practice slipping the clutch ~ 2000 and work upwards from there in 2-300 rpm increments. Best launch RPM will be dependant on your particular tires and weather conditions.

EvilVirus 07-02-2015 09:29 AM

Also, a CAI wont do anything to help you at this moment. You are better off getting a jpipe.

valco6 07-02-2015 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by EvilVirus (Post 15484287)
Also, a CAI wont do anything to help you at this moment. You are better off getting a jpipe.

That's going to be my next power upgrade. And maybe a mid-muffler delete. I thought about getting a tune, but I wasn't sure how much help it would do without other upgrades. I've never done a tune on a car, so I don't know that much about them.

EvilVirus 07-07-2015 04:32 PM

Again, that will yield you nothing in performance. I advise you to read the performance section. There are plenty of information on what is good and what is bad when it comes to selecting increase in power.

6spd-GERCO 07-15-2015 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by valco6 (Post 15484936)
That's going to be my next power upgrade. And maybe a mid-muffler delete. I thought about getting a tune, but I wasn't sure how much help it would do without other upgrades. I've never done a tune on a car, so I don't know that much about them.

Tune will trump those mods, I have been playing with my launch control (set at 2750 rpm currently) on my TL with Flashpro and it works very well for getting it going from a dig.

Get your bolt on's and then tune, also make sure you remove the check-valve in the clutch slave cylinder. You have a 6MT which is a huge step up from the A/T guys, but don't forget our car's aren't rocket ships. :tomato:

valco6 07-23-2015 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by 6spd-GERCO (Post 15495308)
Tune will trump those mods, I have been playing with my launch control (set at 2750 rpm currently) on my TL with Flashpro and it works very well for getting it going from a dig.

Get your bolt on's and then tune, also make sure you remove the check-valve in the clutch slave cylinder. You have a 6MT which is a huge step up from the A/T guys, but don't forget our car's aren't rocket ships. :tomato:

What does removing the check-valve do?

anx1300c 07-23-2015 11:53 PM

^^

Allows a more rapid, positive engagement of the clutch to the flywheel.

6spd-GERCO 02-28-2016 01:18 PM

New video for the racing section :) for the few people that visit this section.:thumbsup: