3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

soooo, how badly will I lose?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
ok I finally have some roughly edited video. Again, as noted earlier, we really got no opportunities to do any long, hard pulls from a dig or low speed up to 120 like I would have wanted. So I apologize for that.

Eventually we will but probably not till spring as my buddy is apparently packing the car away for winter already. Lame.

I think a 40 mph roll from 2nd gear would have been interesting - starting in 3rd isn't ideal but from the short highway pull, as soon as I shifted 4th he stopped gaining.

From a pure dig, with a good launch, I think the M3 by a couple car lengths is realistic. We'll probably head north to the boonies to get some legit dig races in.

and honestly from the 5 mph roll, even if we went past 45 (heavy police area), I don't think he was gonna gain much as I was able to shift into 2nd quickly enough to keep him only a few feet ahead.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by i_love_cars
I'm driving my buddy down to Indiana on Friday to pick up a 2002 E46 M3 that he just bought. The only mod it has is a (misaligned ) Borla exhaust kit.

We're both pretty excited at the prospects for a bit of fun on the drive back to Wisconsin, assuming we can find some clear stretches of road

So just how badly do we think he's gonna roll my car over? Trying to prep myself for the impending curbstomping

He thinks it'll be pretty close from a roll, but it's the dig that would probably kill me as he has all that low-end torque from the bimmer inline 6.
The M3 doesn't have all that torque. It's the high RPMS where these cars excel. They also have very good gearing. If that car is in good running condition he will smoke you from roll at any speeds.

Vroom Vroom
Old 10-05-2012, 11:31 AM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Great vids! Thanks for sharing. Overall it is very impressive to see how well the TL-S did against the M3 despite having such a disadvantage with FWD and HP.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SatinSilverAV6
Great vids! Thanks for sharing. Overall it is very impressive to see how well the TL-S did against the M3 despite having such a disadvantage with FWD and HP.
yeah it's about what I expected.

His car has a new clutch within 5k miles, is fresh off the 60k maintenance, and runs very strong. It's good for low 13's, so to keep pace with it to me is a pretty good outcome.

The bolt-ons really aren't ever going to let me overtake it, so I think it would be unrealistic

with TB/intake/runners & ported heads, it would be a different story. Throw in a good tune on top of all that work and the TL-S 6mt could realistically see low 13's.

For NA, anything more though would probably not be a daily driver because I'd have to raise compression on a rebuild, and I don't see myself running that on Premium pump gas, lol
Old 10-05-2012, 01:59 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Good runs dude...if you would've kept going on the 1st 5mph roll run, I don't think he would've pulled much. Once you get the 3.7 setup he is gonna have to start modding Impressed he didn't pull at all in 4th. I would've thought it'd be more even in 3rd, then in 4th he would pull a bit. Nice runs man.

Tell your boy to man up for a couple runs before winter
Old 10-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sonnick
Good runs dude...if you would've kept going on the 1st 5mph roll run, I don't think he would've pulled much. Once you get the 3.7 setup he is gonna have to start modding Impressed he didn't pull at all in 4th. I would've thought it'd be more even in 3rd, then in 4th he would pull a bit. Nice runs man.

Tell your boy to man up for a couple runs before winter
4th gear pulls pretty damn hard in my car. I think he'd gain a bit of ground at the top end of 4th but we couldn't get there before the truck was in our way. Any ground gained wouldn't be much because, again, this car has a surprisingly good 4th gear.

i know, I'd love to get a good benchmark from a full run from 0 - 110-ish with my current mods, because yeah honestly by spring next year I'll have......significantly more power, lol.

He doesn't care if I top his M3 though because his next target is an LS1-swapped 3rd gen RX-7, which will pretty much, ummm, rape face. lol. We actually drove one in Chicago a couple years ago and it was crazy fast.

Last edited by i_love_cars; 10-05-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:18 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
I have no doubts 4th pulls hard in your car. I was a little surprised (in a good way) in how you stopped his pull in 4th. I'd love to run a properly driven 6MT e46M. I ran one with a sh1tty driver and pulled 2-3 cars by mid 3rd gear lol. My buddy has a SMG e46, but he says it wasn't maintained like it should. I gave him a ride in my car and he said my car definitely pulled harder, but that doesn't say much.

If you were so lucky to get the 3.7 manifold/TB setup, ported runners, Stage 1 cams, and a tune by the spring and he doesn't mod at all, I'd guess you'd walk him pretty hard. You'd probably have a 107-108mph car at that point.

I wanna run a FBO 6MT Type S

Last edited by Sonnick; 10-05-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sonnick
I have no doubts 4th pulls hard in your car. I was a little surprised (in a good way) in how you stopped his pull in 4th. I'd love to run a properly driven 6MT e46M. I ran one with a sh1tty driver and pulled 2-3 cars by mid 3rd gear lol. My buddy has a SMG e46, but he says it wasn't maintained like it should. I gave him a ride in my car and he said my car definitely pulled harder, but that doesn't say much.

If you were so lucky to get the 3.7 manifold/TB setup, ported runners, Stage 1 cams, and a tune by the spring and he doesn't mod at all, I'd guess you'd walk him pretty hard. You'd probably have a 107-108mph car at that point.

I wanna run a FBO 6MT Type S
No luck about it, lol, I'm wayyyyy too addicted to modding cars

I'll have the manifold/tb/runners setup completed in the next couple months, then cams in spring for sure - the only variable is a tune, and how much priority i put on that will depend on how well (or poorly) the car runs after the intake work, and if the intake work is good, then how well (or poorly) it runs with stage 1 cams on stock ECU.

I'm far too dedicated to/in love with the car at this point, and money isn't a problem, so here we sit