Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just wanted to share my first race experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 11:48 PM
Tifa's Fiancé

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to share my first race experience

This was a setup. My neighbor and I decided that we go for a little drive. He has the new A8L 4.2 V8 black/black. So i decide that I guess i can run with him on a roll (still learning to drive stick). We went from 60 miles and i was on 4th gear and obviously i didnt downshift or anything and when we gunned it, he pulled away from me so hard and fast it wasnt even funny. Then on the second time, i think i downshifted to 2nd or 3rd, got the rpm up to 4500 or so and then gunned it and boy all i can say is that i was extremly surprised at the acceleration. Sure the A8 is fast but he couldnt even catch up. Not even close. I had a split second head start so may be taht made all the difference? Tmorrow we will go for another ride and this time i will let him go ahead. He was surprised at the power of the TL aspec as well. It was fun, i think i hit up to 140 or so. This was my first time and hitting it. I have and will drive slowly obviously but i gotta say that was a fun ride. I cant wait until i start my mods: AEM intake, magnaflow exhaust, SSK, and sway bar. THanks for reading. And a thumbs for the TL
Old 04-29-2005, 11:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Put on your flame suit....
Lot of TL'ers on this board despise racing.

I dont know, it's over my head...
Old 04-30-2005, 01:16 AM
6MT & LSD

racing is awesome. street racing, however, is just stupid... someone can get easily hurt/injured, especially in a car that you're not very familiar with & comfortable with. if you can live with after getting someone killed, then you don't even deserve to live.

im going to assume that you & the neighbor did this on a safe, closed track/road.

way to break-in your car!
Old 04-30-2005, 01:21 AM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No flames. I just hope you guys were on a track and not on the streets. If you do race on the street, I hope you survive. About every night I see on the news young folks being picked up on a blotter. Pretty ugly stuff.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I can't tell you how many street races I've had in my life, but most all of them were in my earlier twenties. Back then, it was pretty easy to find a barren stretch of good highway on which to get it on with someone.

Now with all the traffic in my area, it's much harder, not to mention, more dangerous to do this. So I long ago gave up this bit of fun. Also, there's just no way the TL would take the abuse of drag racing like my '66 SS396/360 Chevelle would.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ndx2
racing is awesome. street racing, however, is just stupid... someone can get easily hurt/injured, especially in a car that you're not very familiar with & comfortable with. if you can live with after getting someone killed, then you don't even deserve to live.

im going to assume that you & the neighbor did this on a safe, closed track/road.
Great answer and so much more impressive coming from a 20-year old Frankly, while it would be a real shame to see anyone maimed or killed, my real concerns are the innocent ones who end up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I love the feeling of speed, too. But there just aren't many roads where we can race our cars safely. I search out places to go above the speed limit, too. I love to drive the TL on business trips up to Syracuse, NY because I get to drive on the PA Turnpike Northeast Extension where I'm much more worried about deer crossing the road than seeing another car. Well, being the age I am, I guess my biggest fear is running in to a speed trap on the NE extension that would lose me my license and get me a hefty fine.

I wish we had a national program for small monuments on the side of the roads to mark the spots where people have been killed in car crashes. Maybe a simple white marker, about a foot tall with the name and date of each person lost. I think we would all be surprised at how many we would pass each day. There have been over 400,000 highway deaths in the last 10 years.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ASPEC05
This was a setup
mind you that in this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=113950&page=5 , he doesn't even OWN a TL. Now he talks about racing his daddy's TL against an Audi A8.

LMAO (in case you dunno kid, it means Laugh My Ass Off)
Old 04-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Car Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd start off in 3rd if I was racing someone for for fun from a 60 roll.

I think I'd rather go from like a 50 roll in 2nd maybe...
Old 04-30-2005, 05:47 PM
Banned

Here is Your Future

Old 04-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Gratis dictum

Originally Posted by tjker
Boy, it's a good thing those airbags deployed. Whew!
Old 04-30-2005, 06:34 PM
Safety Car

^^looks like the ricer exhaust survived the crash.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Tifa's Fiancé

lol, stop saying daddy this daddy that. I mean so i guess everything i own muyst be his? Clothes, desk, books, etc? I mean i am paying for the car with my money but the only thing is that the car is under his name (no i dont have enough crdit for a lease). Dude why would my dad drive a TL when he has a 05 545i? U gotta be insane to cfhoose the TL over a 60grand car. Call me up if u want. Im gettin a little bit annoyed wit this dady's car this and daddy's car that. The number is 201 906 6220. It was funny the first time but now its just stupid and annoying. Yes i do own a TL and it is mine bc i sold my M. BTW, the race was a setup, we raced at the palisades parkway at 10:30 in night. We waited for the few cars to pass by us and gave it a run. THe race was for only a few seconds. We just wanted to see who's car is faster on the roll.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:45 PM
Tifa's Fiancé

boy i used to have good races all the time in my M3. Now that i have a faster car (only bc its a 6spd) why not give it a run
Old 04-30-2005, 07:05 PM
Banned

Dude why would my dad drive a TL when he has a 05 545i? U gotta be insane to cfhoose the TL over a 60grand car.
Hey Dude! Cost doesn't equal quality......
Old 04-30-2005, 07:12 PM
6MT & LSD

leasing is not owning, buddy. i have nothing against parents buying their kids cars... after all, my parents paid for my first car.

if your car's a lease (you weren't so clear on this, as you went back and forth from "own" to "lease"), then i would stay clear of most modifications. also, race tracks exist for a reason - for a nominal fee, you get to sign off your life and "safely" race without putting other innocent drivers/people at risk... just yourself.

did it ever occur to you to learn to drive the manual trans, or to get used to your new car first? without knowing you at a personal level, no one in their right mind would congratulate you on your "first race experience." why? because you're still a novice driver with limited experience. you need to realize you can't put others in danger for your enjoyment.

maybe a driver like you should've stuck with bmw's. i'm sure their forums would've welcomed kill/race stories and attitudes that "prove" their superiority.

reminds me of a joke that was posted in OT section.

What's the difference between porcupines and bmw's?
-Porcupines have pricks on the outside.

"it's funny cuz it's true!"
Old 04-30-2005, 07:40 PM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
If that really is your phone number, I'd suggest editing the post and removing it. Within 30 seconds I was able to find your father's name, how much you were asking for your '98 M3, a CT address including the name of the nearest lake, and the fact that one of your neighbors is a lifetime member of the Lincoln Fellowship at Gettysburg College.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DanL
If that really is your phone number, I'd suggest editing the post and removing it. Within 30 seconds I was able to find your father's name, how much you were asking for your '98 M3, a CT address including the name of the nearest lake, and the fact that one of your neighbors is a lifetime member of the Lincoln Fellowship at Gettysburg College.

you mean this BMW

1998 BMW M3 (6043957)... Fully Loaded, Inspected, CarFax & Auto Check Certified, Too Much To List, Call Or E-Mail, $18000. (201) 906-6220 or (203) 938-6913 (2XF). ...
www.bargainnews.com/BNO/viewad.cfm?Show_ Notepad=Yes&bnAd_ID=6043957&TheDealer=0 - 8k - Cached - Similar pages
Old 04-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Suzuka Master

That passenger compartment looks pretty intact...Anyway, Please, Speed responsibly. If I had the guarantee that I was only putting my life in danger I would do speeds like that. Its not worth if I kill someone else. MOST people don't deserve it.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Racer

Nice kill
Old 04-30-2005, 09:58 PM
Tifa's Fiancé

wait do ppyl think that i had someone else in my car bc i was alone. And its not we were racing for like a mile. It was like a 10 second race. See i told you, that is my real number
I do not lie man. Yeah 18,000 was the asking price but i got 18,500 for it. Gettysburg college? Where are u getting these info? Whatever, i just wanted to share and tell you how surprised i was at the speed on the TL
Old 04-30-2005, 09:59 PM
Tifa's Fiancé

you mean this BMW

1998 BMW M3 (6043957)... Fully Loaded, Inspected, CarFax & Auto Check Certified, Too Much To List, Call Or E-Mail, $18000. (201) 906-6220 or (203) 938-6913 (2XF). ...
www.bargainnews.com/BNO/viewad.cfm?Show_ Notepad=Yes&bnAd_ID=6043957&TheDealer=0 - 8k - Cached - Similar pages
You found it but my buyer found the M through autotrader. I believe the ad on baragin news expired...
Old 05-01-2005, 01:30 AM
Riu
2004 TL

I have a TL and i dint buy it for myself. Im 18. Some parents are differant than others. We own ours. No lease.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Riu
I have a TL and i dint buy it for myself. Im 18. Some parents are differant than others. We own ours. No lease.

you are 18 or 21? and what is it you are clarifying here?
Old 05-01-2005, 02:19 AM
I keeps it real

you are 18 or 21? and what is it you are clarifying here?
Judging by his grammar and spelling, I don't think even he knows
Old 05-01-2005, 03:25 AM
Racer

Someone should call up his number at this hour and see if his parents pick up. Then inform them of their child's wreckless endangerment of other people's lives. Unless it's a cell phone, then just pretend ur a telemarketer.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:59 AM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
He was surprised at the power of the TL aspec as well. It was fun, i think i hit up to 140 or so. This was my first time and hitting it.

wait do ppyl think that i had someone else in my car bc i was alone. And its not we were racing for like a mile. It was like a 10 second race. See i told you, that is my real number
I do not lie man. Yeah 18,000 was the asking price but i got 18,500 for it. Gettysburg college? Where are u getting these info? Whatever, i just wanted to share and tell you how surprised i was at the speed on the TL
I personally believed most of what you stated was true, but now I'm starting to have my doubts. So, you raced for about 10 seconds over a distance of about a mile and hit 140 MPH, eh?
Old 05-01-2005, 06:22 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ndx2

way to break-in your car!
Rubbish. I'll street race whenever and wherever I want.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:22 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Years ago (in the 60's) as I mentioned, I used to do one heck of a lot of street racing. But back then in my area, it was pretty much understood that you would find a barren stretch of highway to do this.. not always, but most of the time. The hardest race I ever had was against a 1965 Chevelle 300 which had the optional L79 327 engine (350 HP hydraulic version of the 365, and 360 lb/ft of torque). This guy had a few goodies stashed in there, like a cam for one thing. Everyone at the local hangouts knew this guy's car was bad and it was inevitable that he and I would race at some point.

At the time, my SS396/360 L34 Chevelle was stock with tires and a few of the drag racing tricks I did to my Holley and my ignition (like a screw in the secondary throttle arm to kick in the secondaries and bypass vacuum operation).

Anyway, I had a burned out tach light and I couldn't launch without burning too much or bogging the engine. This guy had no trouble launching and beat me the first two runs. Then I put a friend in my back seat to hold a flashlight on my tach and he put someone in his car to make things fair. My launch was perfect and I whipped the guy soundly. I was a happy camper.

About two months later, this same guy was racing someone one night in the Reston, Virginia area when the cops took chase. One some of those (then) little back roads, this guy turns off his headlamps at over 100 MPH. Well large trees tend to win arguments with cars and he lost this one big time.. him and the other three people in his car. The car was torn into two separate pieces (I saw it later) and all four were killed.

When I street raced, I was vary careful about where and how fast I would take it to. But like I said, those days are gone now. I still have my fun with my cars, but I do so without endangering people or property. Granted,, I've gotten it on with a few people in more recent years, but nothing like I used to and certainly nothing like some do. It's just not worth it around here anymore.

The picture Repecat posted is damatic evidence of the violence of a high speed crash. I've seen quite a few of the real thing and when you get up close and look at the mangled mess, it makes a lasting impression.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Gratis dictum

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Thankfully, you're a couple of thousand miles away from me. Hope you make it to age 24 if you really mean what you said.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Tifa's Fiancé

we staretred at around 60 mph. We started the race on a role. I think i can hit around 140 in 10 seconds or so. It def didnt last 1 mins or so. We just wanted to see who's car was faster on a roll (sayiungthis for the third time). Give me a call man. I received no calls yet...BTW, as u can see on the bargain news and the autotrader ad, the number stated is mine and the car is registered under my name in CT. Parents live in NJ. I just go to school here... Give me a call, if u are so confident.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
I had a friend that said that exact thing to a bunch of us one night when we told him he was stupid for not being careful about where he chose to race. He's dead now, no joke......
Old 05-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Tifa's Fiancé

street races are inevitable. im not going to race my car or anything. But i would test it out against my friend's rides or something. Besides i will only this on highways at night or something. Sorry for ur friend, i guess
Old 05-01-2005, 06:07 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by Repecat
Thankfully, you're a couple of thousand miles away from me. Hope you make it to age 24 if you really mean what you said.

I don't share the same luck as you, repecat. Pure Adrenaline is actually my bro. Not only do I get to drive in the same area (at certain times), I even get to ride in his passenger seat!

He's just being a in response to my comment.

He actually goes to the track, too. But if I ever catch him on the streets, rest assured, I'll :troutslap .

Old 05-01-2005, 07:01 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I think i can hit around 140 in 10 seconds or so.

This just goes to show you how LITTLE the kid knows about the car.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6

This just goes to show you how LITTLE the kid knows about the car.
....and how full of BS his story is
Old 05-01-2005, 07:24 PM
6MT & LSD

lol, i didn't even see that remark. frankly, i can't be bothered to read his responses anymore.

140 in 10 seconds... yeah ok, the TL's tested (by PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS, mind you) 1/4 mile time is 14.XX, but more importantly, the trap speed is under 100 mph.

the only way to hit 140 in 10 seconds in the TL (stock) is to get hit by a bullet train going full speed, or a vertical drop from a cargo plane. i don't recommend either, but you probably want to prove us wrong. don't forget to take pictures!
Old 05-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Grandpa

lol, stop saying daddy this daddy that. I mean so i guess everything i own muyst be his? Clothes, desk, books, etc? I mean i am paying for the car with my money but the only thing is that the car is under his name (no i dont have enough crdit for a lease). Dude why would my dad drive a TL when he has a 05 545i? U gotta be insane to cfhoose the TL over a 60grand car. Call me up if u want. Im gettin a little bit annoyed wit this dady's car this and daddy's car that. The number is 201 906 6220. It was funny the first time but now its just stupid and annoying. Yes i do own a TL and it is mine bc i sold my M. BTW, the race was a setup, we raced at the palisades parkway at 10:30 in night. We waited for the few cars to pass by us and gave it a run. THe race was for only a few seconds. We just wanted to see who's car is faster on the roll.
Man is your dad gonna get pissed when we mail this thread to him.

If you want to really race, join SCCA, hit a track and do it safely. Otherwise, get the Fruck off the street.

First you start a thread here dissing TLs vs BMW, and end up failing to prove you are not spoiled.

Now you post about driving recklessly in the street. I'm glad you don't live in my state. Your dad should have done everyone a favor by putting new grips on your clubs instead of helping you get cars you can't drive.

Everyone in Redding, CT watch out for the little asian guy who can't drive stick.

Hereabouts we call street racers, clay pigeons.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:32 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Actually, he was talking about getting from a 60 roll to 140 in 10 seconds...
Old 05-01-2005, 07:34 PM
6MT & LSD

140 mph in 10 seconds... i can't get over that remark.

oh man, that's a good one. i like this kid now, he's funny.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Tifa's Fiancé

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
Actually, he was talking about getting from a 60 roll to 140 in 10 seconds...
exactly. why would dad care. The car is mine. ANy damge to it will have to be paid by me. IM gonna get the oil cahnged after the first 500 or 600 miles and im paying for that myself. Gas too. BTW, u are exactly right. 140 in 10 sec on a roll from 60. 0-140 in 10secs.... nitro Enzo? Read carefully everyone

Quick Reply: Just wanted to share my first race experience