AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   4G drag times anyone?? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/4g-drag-times-anyone-974558/)

alexpeters 11-02-2018 01:51 PM

4G drag times anyone??

Seems like this section is dying a bit, but are there any 4G owners with quarter mile times? Doing some work on my '10 AWD here this month and I'm just wondering what others are getting so I can compare mine and see what to shoot for/beat 😉

Anybody in the Seattle area interested in coming down at all and getting some runs in?

justnspace 11-02-2018 01:56 PM

according to Mexico street racing; the 3G TL's are a tiny bit quicker. and the fastest ones hit 12.9 in the quarter.

unless you shed major weight or up the ponies by way of forced induction....12.9-14 secs seems to be the norm.

losiglow 11-02-2018 02:23 PM

I've never timed mine. Unlikely I ever will - unless I had a 6MT. I'm not about to push the AT harder than I have to. Once you're up and running it's fine. But I can count on one hand how many times I've slammed the pedal down at a stop.

justnspace 11-02-2018 02:28 PM

^plus, that's how you break things...currently dealing with broken mounts from abuse.

dopeboy1 11-02-2018 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16324933)
^plus, that's how you break things...currently dealing with broken mounts from abuse.

Don't worry about it breaking, just full send it for the boys!

I actually really don't need to press the pedal very much for it to go to 5000/5500 rpm in first. It just wants to rev so badly!

Yesterday I was trying to turn left on very wet and busy roads. When traffic was clear I started to turn left and gave it too much gas, the car went sideways and drifted through the turn hard. It was really dumb of me but very fun at the same time haha.

alexpeters 11-02-2018 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by dopeboy1 (Post 16325099)
Don't worry about it breaking, just full send it for the boys!

I actually really don't need to press the pedal very much for it to go to 5000/5500 rpm in first. It just wants to rev so badly!

Yesterday I was trying to turn left on very wet and busy roads. When traffic was clear I started to turn left and gave it too much gas, the car went sideways and drifted through the turn hard. It was really dumb of me but very fun at the same time haha.

been there more than a time or two 😂
Sideways is too much fun tho

alexpeters 11-02-2018 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16324895)
according to Mexico street racing; the 3G TL's are a tiny bit quicker. and the fastest ones hit 12.9 in the quarter.

unless you shed major weight or up the ponies by way of forced induction....12.9-14 secs seems to be the norm.

How would a 3g be that much quicker? Pretty sure stock the J37 pushes about 50 more ponies and I don't think it's that much heavier (could be wrong). Also they're fwd. My dad used to have an 08 3G I learned to drive in years ago and it didn't feel that fast. Aside from weight reduction and the fact I can't find any forced induction options for the 5AT, what can shave the most time off?? I've got performance tires going on later, building a custom catback and CAI right now, manifold spacer from P2R, lightweight crank pulley, lightweight battery, HFPCs, and RV6 J-Pipe all going on in the next couple months, but I can't find anything other than really the tires that would make a real impact on my quarter time. What am I missing? PS. Obviously not trying to build a quarter mile rocket otherwise I would have bought a damn cobra instead but anything to give it a bit more oomph there lol

dopeboy1 11-02-2018 06:45 PM

This may be an obvious question but do you have/plan on having it custom tuned with Ktuner?

alexpeters 11-02-2018 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by dopeboy1 (Post 16325147)
This may be an obvious question but do you have/plan on having it custom tuned with Ktuner?

Without forced induction a tune won't yield much gain especially on a stock car, so after I've gotten all the other stuff done, that will be the last thing so I only have to time it once to my build. Why do you ask?

dopeboy1 11-03-2018 11:25 AM

Just wondering because you will probably need it with all those mods and it might help you do the 1/4 mile a bit faster.

alexpeters 11-03-2018 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by dopeboy1 (Post 16325404)
Just wondering because you will probably need it with all those mods and it might help you do the 1/4 mile a bit faster.

Gotcha. I'm assuming you're running a ktuner? How much improvement have you seen?

justnspace 11-07-2018 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by alexpeters (Post 16325114)
How would a 3g be that much quicker? Pretty sure stock the J37 pushes about 50 more ponies and I don't think it's that much heavier (could be wrong). Also they're fwd. My dad used to have an 08 3G I learned to drive in years ago and it didn't feel that fast. Aside from weight reduction and the fact I can't find any forced induction options for the 5AT, what can shave the most time off?? I've got performance tires going on later, building a custom catback and CAI right now, manifold spacer from P2R, lightweight crank pulley, lightweight battery, HFPCs, and RV6 J-Pipe all going on in the next couple months, but I can't find anything other than really the tires that would make a real impact on my quarter time. What am I missing? PS. Obviously not trying to build a quarter mile rocket otherwise I would have bought a damn cobra instead but anything to give it a bit more oomph there lol

the 3G is lighter than the 4G.

None of those mods you listed will make you any faster....well, you might be faster than a stock 4G....but that's peanuts....

if you really want to gain; go F/I.
sticking to the naturally aspirated path; the best you'll ever do is maybe a 13 flat in the quarter.

if you wanted aftermarket support, yes...you should have went with the cobra.

losiglow 11-07-2018 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by alexpeters (Post 16325283)
Without forced induction a tune won't yield much gain especially on a stock car, so after I've gotten all the other stuff done, that will be the last thing so I only have to time it once to my build. Why do you ask?

This is true. With boltons however, a tune is a good idea. I literally had everything improve when I had a tune. Low end torque was most noticeable but high end was also improved. So was gas mileage. Granted, all of that is somewhat subjective and anecdotal since I never had it dyno'd and mileage can be difficult to gauge one tank to the next. However, there's no doubt it made a significant difference in output. And my mileage has consistently been better since then (it's been over 6 months now). Presumably from the tuning of A/F ratio.

Justn's right though. FI's really the only way to go if you want to attempt to turn your TL into a racecar. I personally don't think the TL is the best platform for that, nor do I trust the transmission to hold up to that kind of power. Then again, an SH-AWD with a 6MT wouldn't be a half bad platform.

alexpeters 11-07-2018 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16327866)

None of those mods you listed will make you any faster....well, you might be faster than a stock 4G....but that's peanuts....

sticking to the naturally aspirated path; the best you'll ever do is maybe a 13 flat in the quarter.

Originally Posted by losiglow (Post 16327968)
This is true. With boltons however, a tune is a good idea. I literally had everything improve when I had a tune. Low end torque was most noticeable but high end was also improved. So was gas mileage. Granted, all of that is somewhat subjective and anecdotal since I never had it dyno'd and mileage can be difficult to gauge one tank to the next. However, there's no doubt it made a significant difference in output. And my mileage has consistently been better since then (it's been over 6 months now). Presumably from the tuning of A/F ratio.

Justn's right though. FI's really the only way to go if you want to attempt to turn your TL into a racecar. I personally don't think the TL is the best platform for that, nor do I trust the transmission to hold up to that kind of power. Then again, an SH-AWD with a 6MT wouldn't be a half bad platform.

I'll definitely go with the ktuner after everything's done then. Can I switch between street and performance tunes or is there a need for that?

And I see what you're saying with the F/I being the only real way to give it that boost, but like I said before, I'm not building my daily into a racecar (I'm building an RX-7 with a 2JZ for that on the side), just trying to give it some extra sauce. I feel like the TL platform fits more in the luxury sort of class rather than the sport-luxury like the beamers and Audi's and I just want to get it decently comparable in that sport luxury space there and have some fun.

On the F/I note though, are there any decent options that won't blow my engine or break the bank entirely? Haven't found any so far

alexpeters 11-07-2018 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16327866)

How would none of those add any speed? I can see the exhaust mods not doing anything on a quarter mile, but in a circuit and on the street they should be decently noticeable. But all the new piping and other weight reduction should shave quite a bit of weight. So how would the rest not add any value there?

justnspace 11-07-2018 11:37 AM

yes, you might be quicker than a stock 4G...marginally...
but you wont be any quicker on the strip. unless you add nitrous or go forced induction.

the fact of the matter is that Honda didnt leave any HP on the table..the 3.7l is already high strung.

I'm pretty much fully bolted on with my 3G six speed manual. did i gain power, yes. am I quicker than before, yes...Marginally. sure, I can take down stock Type-S' and 4G TL's...but it's not really an accomplishment. i'm pushing 250 to the wheels at about 3200-3300lbs.

sure, I can gap 4 cylinder cars... but when it comes down to the big boys...they're gapping me by miles.

alexpeters 11-07-2018 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16328017)
yes, you might be quicker than a stock 4G...marginally...
but you wont be any quicker on the strip. unless you add nitrous or go forced induction.

the fact of the matter is that Honda didnt leave any HP on the table..the 3.7l is already high strung.

Probably a dumb question, but is nitrous or meth injection a viable option for this engine? Without serious danger of blowing it up?

justnspace 11-07-2018 11:43 AM

deviating away from stock is never a viable option. that's the fun of the hobby. Build it, race it, break it..do it all over again.

alexpeters 11-07-2018 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16328017)
I'm pretty much fully bolted on with my 3G six speed manual. did i gain power, yes. am I quicker than before, yes...Marginally. sure, I can take down stock Type-S' and 4G TL's...but it's not really an accomplishment. i'm pushing 250 to the wheels at about 3200-3300lbs.

sure, I can gap 4 cylinder cars... but when it comes down to the big boys...they're gapping me by miles.

Are you talking about actual drag beasts like the gt500 or ZL1s by big boys, or most V8s? I trashed a GT on the highway about a week ago from 50-100mph by carlengths in my currently stock 4G. We had two pulls, won both, so maybe he was a shitty driver but it feels like the 4G should be pretty quick

alexpeters 11-07-2018 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16328026)
deviating away from stock is never a viable option. that's the fun of the hobby. Build it, race it, break it..do it all over again.

True there lol, broken a good bit on old cars

justnspace 11-07-2018 11:58 AM

a coyote will absolutely destroy a 4G. unless you're talking about 1999 4.6 GT's...yeah, those are slow.

alexpeters 11-07-2018 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16328047)
a coyote will absolutely destroy a 4G. unless you're talking about 1999 4.6 GT's...yeah, those are slow.

I thought the coyotes which no one is denying they're straight powerhouses only came on the Shelby's.

Back to adding power tho, is there any merit to a fuel system with injectors or high octane 110?

justnspace 11-07-2018 12:13 PM

Ford Introduced the 5.0, nicknamed the coyote, in 2011 or '12. This engine came equipped on all GT's.

to your question; no, you're not even at that point of power levels... air/fuel ratios, right? forced induction uses a lot of air, but needs more fuel, so one would upgrade the injectors and pump to allow more fuel.
You're NOWHERE near maxing out your fuel levels.

You can benefit from higher octane tho! as stated, these engines are high strung! the compression ratio is 10:1.. that's pretty high!
in order for the car not to knock, higher octane is needed.
the 3G TL pings on 93 octane. a mixture of 93 and 100 octane to make 96 helped the car immensely.

alexpeters 11-07-2018 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16328068)
Ford Introduced the 5.0, nicknamed the coyote, in 2011 or '12. This engine came equipped on all GT's.

to your question; no, you're not even at that point of power levels... air/fuel ratios, right? forced induction uses a lot of air, but needs more fuel, so one would upgrade the injectors and pump to allow more fuel.
You're NOWHERE near maxing out your fuel levels.

You can benefit from higher octane tho! as stated, these engines are high strung! the compression ratio is 10:1.. that's pretty high!
in order for the car not to knock, higher octane is needed.
the 3G TL pings on 93 octane. a mixture of 93 and 100 octane to make 96 helped the car immensely.

Ill pick me up some 110 to mix then, thanks!

alexpeters 11-07-2018 12:33 PM

Also found the rotrex superchargers but I'll look into that after everything has been done and I've got 5 Gs to throw at it lol