3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

335i sedan vs G37S sedan

Old 12-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
335i sedan vs G37S sedan

I'm sorry guys, but I just HAD TO TELL SOMEONE. I tried telling my alter ego, but immediately when I spoke the words "beat and bmw", her exact words were..."blah, blah, blah, blah." Keeper, I know

Anyways, 3 runs! First was from around 50 mph. I started off in 2nd for the first time, EVAAAAR! Anyways, got the jump a bit after the third honk (turbo lag - I could definitely hear it). I honestly wanna say it was 3 car lengths, but it was probably about 2 car lengths. I wish I could've got it on camera! 2nd run was around 60-65 mph. Took off in 3rd this time and pulled an odd amount of length and stayed even, just about, after the initial jump. I took it up pretty high (I know, sorry - but it was open road and I honestly couldn't help it) to roughly ~125 and the distance remained the same. Then again, after the first few seconds, I didn't pay close attention (focused on road conditions, other cars, and shifting). The third and final one, the 335 got the jump. There was no honk, but I held my ground. I'm relatively sure I was on his bumper - realistically about a cars length and a half in front of me. Here's the sad part. I KNOW he had a passenger, but on the last and final run...I thought I saw a third head (tinted relatively dark). Who knows. I'd be REALLY shocked if he had a third passenger. HOLY HELL! Can you imagine then how quick that thing is?! Will record the next one (Walsh got a 335i recently, muahahahahahahah). Thanks for reading!

Eric

'10 G37S 6MT, stock aside from Amsoil, K&N filters and aesthetics.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Safety Car

By the way, considering that a fellow TL-S 6MT owner (with a few bolt ons) KEPT UP WITH ME and even beat me on a few occasions.............335i vs TL-S??? who knows...will get that on camera as well this friday!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
I would've been surprised if you lost, don't you have something like 28 horsepower on the BMW? Either way, I didn't expect you'd win by that much, especially starting in second, so props for that.

As far as TL-S vs. 335i goes, stock for stock I think the 335 would still take the TL-S pretty easily, but with a couple exhaust mods, it'd be down to the driver.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:08 AM
Safety Car

^ i think it's more about the time for the turbo to kick in. the extra hp in the G has nothing on the under rated N54 (the I6 engine in the bimmer). i'm sure if we kept going, the bimmer would've pulled ahead. the torque on those things are unforgiving (for the opposing car that is) lol. i dunno, thoughts?

i'm probably hyping it up from memory, just because i "won" i'm sure i won by less. but i WILL GET VIDEOS this weekend!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 01:11 AM
Safety Car

where are you sonnick and i hate cars!!! lol
Old 12-07-2010, 02:50 AM
9 mpg.

Received 306 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by erick3
where are you sonnick and i hate cars!!! lol
LOL...what about me duder!? I post in this section all the time!

But all jokes aside, I think between the G and 335i, it's a driver's race. Especially considering the 6MT. Nice pull, nice win. I forgot that old fast & furious quote, but a win's a win.

AND Definitely get those videos this Friday bro! I just realized tonight that my new Ipod nano can take videos as well. I'm just waiting to test it out if you catch my drift.

*Clicks "submit reply" hoping he doesn't sound like the ultimate ricer of Acurazine...

hahahah
Old 12-07-2010, 03:28 AM
Safety Car

lol what was i thinking! of course you too!
we'll see how it works out friday night. i'm crossing my fingers though for sure! it just seems that all the videos on youtube recently have the 335i pulling away hard from the g37, albeit they're usually autos or x's. i dunno...in my mind, i still think the 335i's faster. anything can happen though (obviously by the given outcome)

by the way, not to sound like a prude/vagina/dick/ass/fag, but stay safe man! you race a lot...always, ALWAYS a fun read, but i don't f***ing wanna find a post asking azine members to come to your funeral!
i shouldn't be talking though...hahaha

edit: you don't race A LOT, you just seem to find more opportunities often. lol

Last edited by erick3; 12-07-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:47 AM
9 mpg.

lol what was i thinking! of course you too!
we'll see how it works out friday night. i'm crossing my fingers though for sure! it just seems that all the videos on youtube recently have the 335i pulling away hard from the g37, albeit they're usually autos or x's. i dunno...in my mind, i still think the 335i's faster. anything can happen though (obviously by the given outcome)

by the way, not to sound like a prude/vagina/dick/ass/fag, but stay safe man! you race a lot...always, ALWAYS a fun read, but i don't f***ing wanna find a post asking azine members to come to your funeral!

edit: you don't race A LOT, you just seem to find more opportunities often. lol
Well, the N54 engine is underrated from the factory. If I remember correctly, it actually produces somewhere in the ballpark of 330hp. Just like the G37. It makes sense for the auto to consistently pull on a MT G37 because an AT leaves essentially no room for driver error. Auto's are usually more consistent than MT's for that reason; little to no chance of driver error.

As far as the X (AWD) models are concerned; I don't know. I'd expect the X to do worse than the regular 335i, what with all the weight from the AWD system.

Also, in boosted cars isn't it better to have an Auto because you don't have to take your foot off the gas? Something about losing boost every time you let off the gas or whatever, I don't know. . You're absolutely right though, anything can and will happen on the street. After all, I can say I pulled on an Evo X for Christ's sake..hahahahaha

You prude/vagina/dick/ass/fag! LOL. It's all good bro, I appreciate the concern. . Same to you though! Let's have our fun and live to tell about it, right!? For what it's worth though, I do drive pretty safe and almost senior citizen status most of the time. It's just when the opportunity arises, I take it assuming the road's clear or not too congested. . There's a difference between racing and ricing as I like to call it..
Old 12-07-2010, 03:53 AM
13.2@106mph G37 RWD Sedan

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
nice kill erick cant wait for that video of u and walsh
Old 12-07-2010, 08:27 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Nice runs! Yes, the 335i is definitely underrated from the factory and has v8 torque.

I'd say the 1st race he must've started in 3rd. Not really sure why as 2nd gear in the 335i goes to about 70mph (in the 6MT). Maybe he underestimated you You definitely shouldn't have pulled 3 cars. I'd say he was out of his powerband if he started from 3rd, but they have such a large powerband that Idk if that'd be accurate

Was it auto or 6MT? I tend to think the autos are slightly quicker.

Either way good job Eric! Now get some mods hehe Or do you have any plans?

I had a run with a 335i on the highway, don't know auto or 6MT or anything. He had larger than factory wheels on it. We were gamblers (high roller) and it was surprisingly even until the limiter :slap: The wheels probably slowed him down a bit as I actually started slowly but surely creeping. Unless he had a passenger(s) I couldn't tell.

In for vids!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:15 AM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Nice runs Erick. Like to see you laying the smackdown on the bimmer! Both cars are a great drivers race from a roll!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
my quick (driven my fair share of 335i's in all variations because there are many!! believe or not!

^ i think it's more about the time for the turbo to kick in. the extra hp in the G has nothing on the under rated N54 (the I6 engine in the bimmer). i'm sure if we kept going, the bimmer would've pulled ahead. the torque on those things are unforgiving (for the opposing car that is) lol. i dunno, thoughts?

i'm probably hyping it up from memory, just because i "won" i'm sure i won by less. but i WILL GET VIDEOS this weekend!!!
Was this car manual or auto? sounds like to me it was auto and the delay you saw or heard was if auto the delay in down shift or when he punched it it takes a bit of delay to engage when going wot at cruising speed.(so example hes crusing in 5thgear and when you punch it and he was auto it will downshift and then go, there is a big delay in auto's in the 335i's

Also was it AWD or RWD? awd is a hell of alot slower then rwd...BMW AWD is not like your WRX or Evo's awd...the front only gets 20% distribution, which is to help when the rear is slipping..so alot of added weight and not for performance purpose....seems to me it was definite AWD? but then again its the streets and who knows

Originally Posted by Type-DM 2004 TL
Well, the N54 engine is underrated from the factory. If I remember correctly, it actually produces somewhere in the ballpark of 330hp. Just like the G37. It makes sense for the auto to consistently pull on a MT G37 because an AT leaves essentially no room for driver error. Auto's are usually more consistent than MT's for that reason; little to no chance of driver error. ..
actually IMO they are overrated, but what makes it so strong is the 300ft/lbs of torque and its flat powerband from the jump...almost no lag really it has full boost at 1700rpm and the newer ones N55 motors are at peak torque at 1400rpm or less...really impressive stuff...

Now the 335is which only comes in coupes is where you will just get owned big time they are n54t which is tuned for 336ish hp and 321ft/lbs with overboost spikes upwards of 421hp, just amazing stuff trust me from experience

As far as the X (AWD) models are concerned; I don't know. I'd expect the X to do worse than the regular 335i, what with all the weight from the AWD system. ..
Yea you absolutely correct the awd is slower than the regular 335i rwd...

Also, in boosted cars isn't it better to have an Auto because you don't have to take your foot off the gas? Something about losing boost every time you let off the gas or whatever, I don't know. . You're absolutely right though, anything can and will happen on the street. After all, I can say I pulled on an Evo X for Christ's sake..hahahahaha.
in a way yes and no...auto's are for sure more consistant no doubt as there is less room for driver error, but if you have a solid driver who can drives a stick shift, stick shift wins it hands down everytime....but like you said you took an EVO and in the street IMO any car that is around 1sec slower or faster is fair game in the street, because anything can happen in real life street racing(which by the way I don't agree)even though I'm guilty myself of it....BE SAFE!!! know your limits and your surrounding not only for others but 5-0 as well lol!

Originally Posted by Sonnick
Nice runs! Yes, the 335i is definitely underrated from the factory and has v8 torque.

I'd say the 1st race he must've started in 3rd. Not really sure why as 2nd gear in the 335i goes to about 70mph (in the 6MT). Maybe he underestimated you You definitely shouldn't have pulled 3 cars. I'd say he was out of his powerband if he started from 3rd, but they have such a large powerband that Idk if that'd be accurate

Was it auto or 6MT? I tend to think the autos are slightly quicker.

Either way good job Eric! Now get some mods hehe Or do you have any plans?

I had a run with a 335i on the highway, don't know auto or 6MT or anything. He had larger than factory wheels on it. We were gamblers (high roller) and it was surprisingly even until the limiter :slap: The wheels probably slowed him down a bit as I actually started slowly but surely creeping. Unless he had a passenger(s) I couldn't tell.

In for vids!
Auto are def not quicker, no way no how, now if you are talking the new N55 motor auto DCT then its a whole diffirent monster and the shifting on that happens quicker than a human can shift, it has been proven

quick run down of motors from 335i's

N54(300/300)
N54t which is the is(336/321) with peaks upward of 421hp
N55(300/300) and this is where I say that it is very very underrated!!!

and then comes chipping the 335i which is very easy and amazing which I wish we had available for our TL's....but an easy reflash from Juicebox and you are talking E92V8 eater all day everyday....I took an auto for a spin that had stage2 Dinan chip and with DSC on it was fighting to keep tires from spinning thruout the poweband from 1st thru 3 and more I didnt push it that far as it was not my car and was only pushing it to diagnose an issue!!

Hope that clarifies some things and btw still a sweet kill regardless of if he had passengers or not or auto or 6mt!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Getting it Done

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
sexy. 335i are powerful as hell, but I'm not to surprised. In my mind a G37S 6MT is a pretty quick car.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Pretty much all the magazines say the 335i auto is about a tenth quicker than the manual.

Nice kill, btw!
Old 12-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
The 335 does make about 330-340hp, but the kicker is it's overall power under the curve is significantly more than that of the VQ37's. Power under the curve is what wins races, not the peak HP number.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave_B
The 335 does make about 330-340hp, but the kicker is it's overall power under the curve is significantly more than that of the VQ37's. Power under the curve is what wins races, not the peak HP number.
Bear in mind, you're posting this in what is essentially a Honda forum where such statesments are considered sacrilege. But, .
Old 12-09-2010, 12:52 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Pretty much all the magazines say the 335i auto is about a tenth quicker than the manual.

Nice kill, btw!
yeah, that doesn't surprise me. i believe that's why walsh got the auto. the turbo doesn't take a breather with the autos

makes sense, dave. always appreciate the plethora of information coming you

Originally Posted by F23A4
Bear in mind, you're posting this in what is essentially a Honda forum where such statesments are considered sacrilege. But, .
LOL!!!

K, honestly, I'm not sure what you mean but it's still funny for some reason puahah...ahhh...
Old 12-09-2010, 03:52 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lol you guys are delving into a comparison that is a real beating of a dead donkey!!!! N54, and N55T are ultimately a fairly high compression motors with an added turbo/s. Yes, out of the box 335/135 do and will always have more potential in comparison to any n/a motor whether being the S65 or a VQ. The advantage of the N54 is certainly low end torque, and the N55t low to mid. An n/a motor will always be more efficient at higher rpms. So let's not forget that we are discoursing a freeway race! In all reality, a 335 with a good launch with dominate! Btw the auto is faster due to the fact that the shifts are within boost peak not b/c you keep your foot on the gas!!!! 0-60 runs I would more likely bet my money on 335 regardless of being auto or MT! Now, the other aspect of performance cars; performance is something I would prefer to have a VQHR/VQVHR rather than N54 when it come to power over 400 to the wheels! VQ's are cheaper, better drive train and so forth! However, if you wanna be happy with mid 300's whp, the BMW is your winner!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:59 AM
Cruisin'

Boston, what is that info about the n55 you are pulling off? A peak of 421?? Lol dude, you have an inherently the same motor as a e46 330 in these 1/335's. Peaking in these numbers would require sooooo much! What were you referring to?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:40 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
sounds about right considering the years of the 335. i know i beat the earlier model (07 i think) but got smoked (1-2 cars) by the 2008-9.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:48 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by 350Zimo
Boston, what is that info about the n55 you are pulling off? A peak of 421?? Lol dude, you have an inherently the same motor as a e46 330 in these 1/335's. Peaking in these numbers would require sooooo much! What were you referring to?
he is right. the later 335 have an overboost mode that allows an insane amount of power to be delivered in short bursts
Old 12-09-2010, 12:45 PM
eat, sleep, NGC

Originally Posted by phee
sounds about right considering the years of the 335. i know i beat the earlier model (07 i think) but got smoked (1-2 cars) by the 2008-9.
07-10 same engines N54 twin turbo
11+ N55 single turbo
335IS is the one that has the overboost function and is only a 2011 model with the N54 engine
Old 12-09-2010, 01:03 PM
9 mpg.

he is right. the later 335 have an overboost mode that allows an insane amount of power to be delivered in short bursts
Originally Posted by nova_G
07-10 same engines N54 twin turbo
11+ N55 single turbo
335IS is the one that has the overboost function and is only a 2011 model with the N54 engine
"Overboost".. That just sounds cool.

hahaha. sorry for the useless post.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Senior Moderator

"Overboost".. That just sounds cool.

hahaha. sorry for the useless post.
LINK
Old 12-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by anx1300c

Nice kill, btw!
Yes I agree with the newer 335i's with the N55 motor! and the 335is with the N54t

Originally Posted by 350Zimo
hmm, I only know this because not only do I work on these cars daily, I went to school @ BMW of North America in NJ to learn about the car before being released..(I would think that is good enough info unless you know something I don't?)...and I did say it was only for the 335is N54t, which is basically a N54 with more boost to it in short,,so yeah enough said about that!!

+1..which is why I said early n54 models overrated and new N55 335's underrated!!

exactly!!! Amazing feeling!!! it feels so much faster than an E92 M3(v8)....but then again it does have more torque than the m3 as well........

on side note I will be waiting for the release of the 1series M...now that is one sexy beast and yes that will have a tuned N55t motor!!! numbers I believe will be around 350hp/ not sure of torque off top of my head!!!

Last edited by BostonSilverTypeS; 12-09-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Also not to forget to mention that the optional 7-speed DCT which is first time being introduced to the 335i. First introduced in the M3 and includes Launch Control for even quicker launches!!

Not like it matters but those numbers which to correct my earlier numbers for the 335is was 320hp/332ftlbs which like I said I believe is being nice(underrated). Also don't know if I mentioned torque of the overboost bursts which is around 370ftlbs!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Safety Car

^ wait, so the n54 and n55 are both motors IN THE 335i's? the n54 is for older model beemers, while the n55 for newer/later models? or is the n55 exclusive to the 335is? hm...
Old 12-10-2010, 07:41 AM
Senior Moderator

I believe the current 335 has the new N55 with the 335is having an upgraded N54 (featuring the overboost function).
Old 12-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Suzuka Master

I heard the early production '07 models were the ones putting down whp in the 275-285 range, then the later '07-'10 models were a bit lower. I don't know if the early models had a little more boost?

I know the '07 automatic I drove was pretty quick, but I don't know the exact production date. Regardless, the overboost feature is on the new '11's.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F23A4
I believe the current 335 has the new N55 with the 335is having an upgraded N54 (featuring the overboost function).
yea what he said pretty much.....the 335is has the N54t which just basically identifies it from the older 335i's with N54...but yeah its same thing, but the t just stands for tuned and an BMW acronym to identify one motor from the other

N55 motors are in the new bimmers 2011 and do not have overboost!!! ONLY 335is has the overboost feature, quick way to know the diffirence is the rims!! the badging(if left on) and on the inside the 335is badge will be on the cluster and the trim on passenger side.....(F23 has the link where its showing the dyno, thats a 335is!)
Old 12-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good post.

If both cars were pushed to the limit the 335i would have pulled pretty good. And especially up in 130~ 150 range the 335i will excel even more. I'll be getting an 135i sport very soon. Can't wait!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Safety Car

poop. no videos it was dark out by the time we got to it. anyways, similar outcomes with the coupe. a cars length and a half. he's just getting used to the car though. i'm sure he'll come around with some time.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Safety Car

JB3 335i Map 3(?)

Just a small update. I'm rather disappointed with this one. The JB3 tune 335i walked away from me like I was standing still. I was at the top of 2nd too! LIKE - I - WAS - STANDING - MOTHER - F***ING - STILL. If that's what 40 extra whp feels like...I'm freaking STOKED to do the following: UpRev Tune, Stillen/FI Exhaust, Berk HFC's, Pulley set (maybe). But then again...that's a little over $2k versus the $500 JB3 Chip + Tune. Retarded.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Burning Brakes

JB3 with a tune is going to give you more then 40hp, believe that!!! Not surprised at all that you felt like that, a tuned 335i is NO JOKE!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 02:38 PM
13.2@106mph G37 RWD Sedan

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
im not surprised. jb3 on 335i brings it to a whole nother level
Old 01-07-2011, 04:01 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonSilverTypeS
JB3 with a tune is going to give you more then 40hp, believe that!!! Not surprised at all that you felt like that, a tuned 335i is NO JOKE!!!
100% correct. More like 80-90WHP/TQ.

There are plenty of JB3 tuned 335i's out there running low 12s @114-120.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Suzuka Master

It all depends on the stage. Their basic $279 P&P is good for 30-60 whp, depending on the boost setting, where as the stage 3 is good for 80+. Add catless downpipes and a dual cone intake and you're ~380/380 at the wheels. Not bad for $1200-1300 total cash outlay! I'd do it this way and keep the stock cat back for awhile anyway. Wipe that smirk right off the face of the guy in the Camaro SS/'11 Mustang GT.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Sonnick
100% correct. More like 80-90WHP/TQ.

There are plenty of JB3 tuned 335i's out there running low 12s @114-120.
Takes a little more to get close to/break the 11 second barrier. Those guys are running everything I listed plus full exhaust, meth, intercooler, LSD, slicks.

I've been eyeing Autotrader and the '07's are actually getting pretty damn affordable. I'm tempted, but I think I'll hang onto the TL for a couple more years, especially if I drop $1500 on new suspension and HFC's here shortly.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Pro

Lol never go on here. I'll have to post some vids soon. Im the one who records them since I drive auto

First off, clear some things up
1. auto is quicker than manual, stock for stock not really, but when you start pushing more boost. For sure auto is gonna be quicker.
2. 335i from factory puts about 275whp. G37S puts about the same, as does the e46 m3. Thus 335 is underrated.
3. Dinan does a flash, theres no physical chips. And Dinan tune puts a lot less power than aftermarket tunes. Because with Dinan your car retains the factory warranty.
4. n55 car is not faster than n54. The engine might have a little more power but the car overall is not faster. n55 engine is really just an improved version. Better reliability, gas mileage, and supposedly fixes the dreaded HPFP issue.
5. jb3 tune by itself gives about 40whp on map3/5. Supposedly gives 80whp on racing maps which high octane gas and bolt ons. Real life dyno numbers that I've seen are 380whp w/ jb3 #5, dp, fmic, intake, pump gas. 420whp with 100 octane and map 7. Meth injection is the other big power mod.

Anyways, jb3 is a budget tune. Does what it's suppose to do but vishnu proceed is the better tune. jb4 is out as well, and so is Cobb tuning. Not alot of info on those. Right now my car is jb3, catless dp, and intake. I'll get vids up shortly.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Pro

lol
Wtf?? Eric stfu LOLOLOL

Ok heres a quick vid w/ p&s cam so quality is pretty bad. 40-100. 335i w/ intake, g37s stock. Made in mexico, unknown drivers, etc etc

I'm trying to decide whether to post the other (better) videos. Preferably I would like to blurr some things out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 335i sedan vs G37S sedan