AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   2005 TL 6MT VS. 2008 G37S Coupe 6MT (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/2005-tl-6mt-vs-2008-g37s-coupe-6mt-979543/)

al_ua6 05-14-2019 08:53 PM

2005 TL 6MT VS. 2008 G37S Coupe 6MT

Hey guys,

Before you all shit on me because of the whole J-series and VQ rivalry, I decided to run my best friend's '08 G37S Coupe 6MT. Yes we did some pulls in 2nd gear at 40 km/h (20 mph for the U.S folks as I live in Vancouver, don't ask why I chose 20 roll, I do not know why) to the end of 3rd gear on this slightly sketchy road. First 2 (I am doubting my 2nd run now) I got the lead. 3rd run, he beat me fairly.

Here are my assessments on why I think I "won" the first 2:
- It was pretty cold that night and his tires were almost on the bald-side and he was spinning
- I probably shift faster than him
- I think he miss-shifted in the 2nd pull.

Not trying to start anything here; I was reading the thread where a 6MT owner smoked a G and Z from a dig and I saw the shit-show unfold in there, so I am just respectfully providing my input as to why the "results" were the way they were. I am going to run him again sometime in the future now that he has a magnaflow catback and some exhaust mods (I forgot what exhaust mods he has now tbh). Unfortunately the '05 TL got wrote off a month later after that race, but I am happily back in an '04 6MT with my intake and catback again (I am probably about to get smoked LOL, but my Si friend who doesn't like VQs very much is very convinced that VQs are nothing impressive; I silently disagree with him because I think he is just heavily biased against the VQ platform as a whole... I dig the G37 sedan) :canada:

Feel free to provide your own comments and/or whatever lol. I am still practicing on doing launches because I don't want to embarrass myself too much when I eventually do give the 1/4 mile a try :pofl:

My mods on the '05:
- K&N CAI
- EndlessRPM catback

G37S is bone stock.

al_ua6 05-14-2019 10:00 PM

zeta 05-19-2019 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by al_ua6 (Post 16426213)
Yes we did some pulls in 2nd gear at 40 km/h (20 mph for the U.S folks as I live in Vancouver, don't ask why I chose 20 roll, I do not know why) to the end of 3rd gear...

:rofl:

In the 16+ years I've owned my CLS6, if timed right, from a roll in the midrange of 2nd and then in all of that long sweet third gear pull, I've surprised many cars. With that said, I can attest that most I've lost, lol.

IMHO, the trickiest aspect, in the heat of the moment, is the timing and getting that crucial shift into third gear, though hehe. If you miss that shift, just let IT go. :chuckle:

However, when you are in 'sleeper' mode, the surprise on the faces of those (mostly V8's) who discount you outright, because of FWD, is a payoff in itself, when they see a FWD car start to pull on them, even though it is temporary/short lived.:tongue: In addition, a S/C'er helps tremendously to make this possible for a 3.2 V6.

From a start, though, forget about it. I SUCK and will most always get my ass kicked early on, mainly because of severe wheel hop.:shrug: It's a disconcerting feeling, to say the least, when you hear the dash shake, feel the drive train and front of the car jump around violently like that. :shrug: I don't even bother anymore.

Choose one's battles wisely, although that is sometimes difficult when you get a wild hair. :thumbsup: