RPM surge and Engine shutting off

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 01:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
RPM surge and Engine shutting off

I have a Black TLX V6 Advance.
Bought the car in November 14 and drove it for 18,000 miles no problems except for the spoiler needing to be readjusted twice because it was off and falling off.

Drove it from Florida to California (2400 miles) no problems. Then about two weeks ago I went to the dealership to do an oil change. When I got the car back I was sitting in idle in the parking lot texting and the RPM surged up and down and back to normal idle speed. This is where I messed up and should of took it back to the dealership right away while I was there but at the time I didn't think much of it.

So I left, a week later while sitting in idle in park it happens again. RPM went back to normal, then all of the sudden the engine shuts off while the AC and all the electronics are still running. I start it back with no problems. Got out of the car and went to the market.

When I got back and started it back up two lights went off, Electric Parking Break and Emissions Prblems light went off. I could not put the Parking break on but I could still drive it. It jerks right before I come to a complete stop. I drove it to the dealership right away.

Upon inspection they said I put bad gas in it. I always put the best gas available, in Florida I out 93 and California I out 91. I tell the advisor that's not the problem and I have a feeling it's going to happen again. Tank was near empty when all this happened so I filled it with Shell 91 and about half way into that tank the RPM surges again and shuts off the engine.

I call my Acura dealership and he says it could be a bad gas again. Then says if there's any problems to tell him. I think what the heck??? Engine shutting itself off isn't a problem? So I'm not sure what to do now, dealership can't find the problem and putting it off on me.

I'm going to contact Acura Client Relations and see what they can do. I've also researched online to see if anyone else has this problem and sure enough that dealer fixed it by changing the Cat Converter and fuel filter.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:05 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Go to another dealer immediately. They cant just tell u bad gas, they have to keep the car and diagnose that there actually is a fault in the gas... Also, I have never heard of that reaction from an engine by bad gas... unless u put diesel.....
Old 08-27-2015, 10:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mani
Go to another dealer immediately. They cant just tell u bad gas, they have to keep the car and diagnose that there actually is a fault in the gas... Also, I have never heard of that reaction from an engine by bad gas... unless u put diesel.....
They said they did pull gas out of my car to check the octane. My advisor keeps blaming it on the gas. Bunch of bull if you ask me. The car was running fine until I let them do my oil change.

I'll contact Acura Client Relations and see what happens.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
tell them to do their job properly. Check the health of the battery. Idiot tech's play the radio loud with the car off draining the battery. Once it's discharged it starves the car of power during startup.

When that happens, the ECU/ECM does not get the proper signals and throws all sorts of errors. As well the car FORGETS it's idle and bounces around, and can even cause stalling! You have to perform an idle relearn.

Disconnect the battery for 20 mins. Then plug the battery back in. Turn the car onto accessory mode (not on) and turn off all accessories such as A/C, radio, lights, etc. Then turn the car off, then fully on and let it idle for around 15 minutes. (the cooling fan should turn on and off twice).

This allows the computer to reset it's idle properly. Bas gas would cause knocking, the car would be WAY down on power too. Do you have those symptoms?
The following users liked this post:
Hoosier_TLX (08-31-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csmeance
tell them to do their job properly. Check the health of the battery. Idiot tech's play the radio loud with the car off draining the battery. Once it's discharged it starves the car of power during startup.

When that happens, the ECU/ECM does not get the proper signals and throws all sorts of errors. As well the car FORGETS it's idle and bounces around, and can even cause stalling! You have to perform an idle relearn.

Disconnect the battery for 20 mins. Then plug the battery back in. Turn the car onto accessory mode (not on) and turn off all accessories such as A/C, radio, lights, etc. Then turn the car off, then fully on and let it idle for around 15 minutes. (the cooling fan should turn on and off twice).

This allows the computer to reset it's idle properly. Bas gas would cause knocking, the car would be WAY down on power too. Do you have those symptoms?

I don't have a problem with low power. It drives exactly the same as when I got it, or at least it feels the same to me. Thanks for advise, it makes perfect sense the techs messed with the car. I had no problems until I did an oil change at that dealership. If I can fix this issue doing this I'm gonna write a lot of bad reviews online for that dealership. The fact that they kept blaming me pisses me off.