Most Systems Have Crashed-Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Most Systems Have Crashed-Help!

I got my SHAWD Elite on Friday and was just getting the hand of all of the tech. Tonight I went down to the car with my wife to set up her seating position. I had the number one key and set her seating position in the number two position. When I went to start the car I got just about every warning light one could imagine. I got warning lights that there are problems with the ACC, LAKS, ABS, Hill assist, Brake system and some others. I tried driving the car a short distance as the brakes seemed to work. I shut the car down and restarted it but all the warnings kept flashing. My car was not registered with A-Link when I picked it up and that was to be taken care of later this week so I have not called Acura yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:53 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
If I recall, in one of the videos posted a while back from that Acura tech lady, there was a warning about some bad batteries out there. Your symptoms seem to indicate that, unless you kept the car on II for a long time draining the battery in the process...?

PS. of course there could be gremlins in the garage. Sorry, to TSB about that.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Racer

Thanks Tonyware. The only warning I did not get was for the battery. The car turned over quite easily so I do not think it is a battery problem. I should not be surprised. When it comes to electronics if there is a bad apple I have an uncanny ability of buying it
Old 11-23-2014, 09:43 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Did you lock and unlock the car with her fob, with yours at least 20 feet away? That's about the only fix I can think of.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
I got my SHAWD Elite on Friday and was just getting the hand of all of the tech. Tonight I went down to the car with my wife to set up her seating position. I had the number one key and set her seating position in the number two position. When I went to start the car I got just about every warning light one could imagine. I got warning lights that there are problems with the ACC, LAKS, ABS, Hill assist, Brake system and some others. I tried driving the car a short distance as the brakes seemed to work. I shut the car down and restarted it but all the warnings kept flashing. My car was not registered with A-Link when I picked it up and that was to be taken care of later this week so I have not called Acura yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
First off, don't have both fobs in the car. The car gets confused and uses the first one it finds. When I picked up my car I placed both in my pockets and wondered why my settings changed.

Second, I had an issue, posted somewhere in the forum, about my indicators coming on. It may not be the same problem with your TLX, but my fuel filler assembly was faulty. Its error caused other errors. Once they replaced the fuel filler assembly (on second trip), I haven't been back since.

Definitely take it in for service but don't panic all that much in the meantime.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:10 AM
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by tlxsteve
First off, don't have both fobs in the car. The car gets confused and uses the first one it finds. When I picked up my car I placed both in my pockets and wondered why my settings changed.

Second, I had an issue, posted somewhere in the forum, about my indicators coming on. It may not be the same problem with your TLX, but my fuel filler assembly was faulty. Its error caused other errors. Once they replaced the fuel filler assembly (on second trip), I haven't been back since.

Definitely take it in for service but don't panic all that much in the meantime.
I don't disagree with what you are saying and you could quite possibly be 100% correct, but stop to think reality for a moment. There would be multiple situations where a family would require both FOB's be in the car at the same time, either out of necessity or both drivers having their own set of keys on them, maybe with house keys being on each individual FOB. Having both FOB's in the car at the same time has to happen multiple times across the country in day to day reality. But as you stated, this could be the problem. I'm a single driver so don't have this issue.

Our TLX computers on four wheels appear to be having electronic issues across the fleet and experiencing some quirky behaviors. This forum is just a small sample of issues being experienced. I've even got a couple electronic issues that I haven't seen mentioned on the forum yet. Back to the dealer.......

Last edited by Davinci547Acura; 11-24-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:13 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Certainly don't have both fobs on you. Here's what I have found:

If the car is unlocked:
If your wife has one and she open the passenger car door and you are not in or near the car, it won't reset to hers.

If the car is locked:
Whichever one unlocks it if you use the fob controls the settings.
If you unlock with the door button, whichever one is on the drivers side controls the settings.

But I like the filler cap explanation, that seems to describe the problem.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:24 AM
Racer

When we set the seating position for my wife she did not have her fob with her. Mine was the only one in the car. I haven't even put gas in the car as I am still driving on the free tank from the dealer. I realise this doesn't eliminate the gas filler as the explanation for my problems. I emailed my sales rep and the service manager for the dealer last night. Haven't heard back yet. I suspect that the car will need to be towed back to the dealer. If it is a problem with an electronics module it will be interesting to see how long I have to wait for replacement parts.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:42 AM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
Certainly don't have both fobs on you. Here's what I have found:

If the car is unlocked:
If your wife has one and she open the passenger car door and you are not in or near the car, it won't reset to hers.

If the car is locked:
Whichever one unlocks it if you use the fob controls the settings.
If you unlock with the door button, whichever one is on the drivers side controls the settings.
Seems to be backed up by the manual (p. 174):

You can store two driver’s seat (except for power lumbar) and door mirror positions with the driving position memory system.

When you unlock and open the driver’s door with a remote transmitter, or keyless access system, the seat and door mirrors adjust automatically to one of the two preset positions.

The multi-information display shows you which remote transmitter you used to unlock the vehicle when you enter.

>>
I've started to lock it in the garage now, so the "right" driver has the settings restored. If it's not unlocked, it stays on the last driver's setting.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

When we set the seating position for my wife she did not have her fob with her. Mine was the only one in the car. I haven't even put gas in the car as I am still driving on the free tank from the dealer. I realise this doesn't eliminate the gas filler as the explanation for my problems. I emailed my sales rep and the service manager for the dealer last night. Haven't heard back yet. I suspect that the car will need to be towed back to the dealer. If it is a problem with an electronics module it will be interesting to see how long I have to wait for replacement parts.
If the car is drivable, you may not have a horrific issue. I drove my car fine, but I guess, better safe than sorry. Good luck.

On mine it said I had an emissions failure and electronic brake failure. The computer voice same on and said not to park on any hills or sloping surfaces. I checked the electric brake and it seemed to work fine. Not many issues with hills/slopes in South Florida.

When the fuel assembly failed it could have caused a voltage drop in the circuit that caused the electric brake to appear to fail when it hadn't. In any case, a replacement of the fuel assembly took care of my issue. Also, one of the One-Packs mentioned that there are fuel assembly issues.

I am not a doctor so see the dealer. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
smoore (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 10:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Davinci547Acura
I'm a single driver so don't have this issue.

Our TLX computers on four wheels appear to be having electronic issues across the fleet and experiencing some quirky behaviors. This forum is just a small sample of issues being experienced. I've even got a couple electronic issues that I haven't seen mentioned on the forum yet. Back to the dealer.......
Same here, single driver. I only noticed on the day I picked up the car.

What other electronic issues are you seeing?
Old 11-24-2014, 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Seems we are Acura's beta team.

That is a good find.

Referring to Jim >> I've started to lock it in the garage now, so the "right" driver has the settings restored. If it's not unlocked, it stays on the last driver's setting.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Racer

If the car is drivable, you may not have a horrific issue. I drove my car fine, but I guess, better safe than sorry. Good luck.

On mine it said I had an emissions failure and electronic brake failure. The computer voice same on and said not to park on any hills or sloping surfaces. I checked the electric brake and it seemed to work fine. Not many issues with hills/slopes in South Florida.

When the fuel assembly failed it could have caused a voltage drop in the circuit that caused the electric brake to appear to fail when it hadn't. In any case, a replacement of the fuel assembly took care of my issue. Also, one of the One-Packs mentioned that there are fuel assembly issues.

I am not a doctor so see the dealer. Good luck!
I may end up having the same problem as you. I spoke to the service manager this morning. I had 9 warnings. I cannot recall all but they included brakes, ABS, power steering, hill assist, SHAWD, ACC, LKAS, brake assist etc. The service manager indicated that it was most probably from a voltage drop (I will mention your problem with fuel filler) and that the car should drive fine. It does and I probably won't take it in for service until Saturday as the dealer is 19 km from me and in the opposite direction I drive to work.

I have to admit this is the fastest I have every broken a new car.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:26 PM
Burning Brakes

I may end up having the same problem as you. I spoke to the service manager this morning. I had 9 warnings. I cannot recall all but they included brakes, ABS, power steering, hill assist, SHAWD, ACC, LKAS, brake assist etc. The service manager indicated that it was most probably from a voltage drop (I will mention your problem with fuel filler) and that the car should drive fine. It does and I probably won't take it in for service until Saturday as the dealer is 19 km from me and in the opposite direction I drive to work.

I have to admit this is the fastest I have every broken a new car.
You beat my record.

Good luck. Hopefully that is all it takes to fix it.

On my first visit they reset the indicators and then kept the car a couple of days to see if it would fail. Luckily I had a TSX loaner, but I wanted to drive my new TLX. It failed two weeks later and then they replaced the fuel filler assembly. The good thing was I got a car wash two weeks after I leased the car and got another car wash two weeks later when I brought it in the last time.

Ever since the last fix, I haven't been back to the dealer. Oil is at 50% so I have some time before an oil change. At the oil change I will get my NAV/ELS update.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:50 PM
Racer

You beat my record.

Good luck. Hopefully that is all it takes to fix it.

On my first visit they reset the indicators and then kept the car a couple of days to see if it would fail. Luckily I had a TSX loaner, but I wanted to drive my new TLX. It failed two weeks later and then they replaced the fuel filler assembly. The good thing was I got a car wash two weeks after I leased the car and got another car wash two weeks later when I brought it in the last time.

Ever since the last fix, I haven't been back to the dealer. Oil is at 50% so I have some time before an oil change. At the oil change I will get my NAV/ELS update.
I may not get the free carwash. My wife, who had the car to get the snows installed (not an issue in South Florida), just called me and told me all of the error messages have disappeared.

Hopefully, they do not re-appear. Might still take it in Saturday and see if they can read the error codes and figure out what happened.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Probably a good idea to take it in. Hopefully they can read a log or code that let's you know what happened. Luckily you have a three-year warranty.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts
Same here, single driver. I only noticed on the day I picked up the car.

What other electronic issues are you seeing?
Don't intend to sound evasive, but may post after holiday, waiting on a decision and resolution from Acura.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:38 AM
Racer

Probably a good idea to take it in. Hopefully they can read a log or code that let's you know what happened. Luckily you have a three-year warranty.
We actually get a four year warranty in Canada same as Lexus, Infiniti etc.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
4 yr 50K miles warranty.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by miner
4 yr 50K miles warranty.
Yes although in Canada it is described as 80,000 km.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

I forgot. I am leasing and turning it in after 3 years.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:12 PM
Racer

I talked to the service manager. He indicated that as the problem self-corrected there was no need to bring the car in. He advised that if I had further trouble I should bring it in. He felt that this was caused by a voltage drop and probably will not occur again. Now I can get back to enjoying my new ride.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:51 PM
Burning Brakes

I talked to the service manager. He indicated that as the problem self-corrected there was no need to bring the car in. He advised that if I had further trouble I should bring it in. He felt that this was caused by a voltage drop and probably will not occur again. Now I can get back to enjoying my new ride.
I hope so. My issue came back in two weeks and I got another car wash. In any case, it was no big deal. The car still drove great but had some extra lights.

I know what you mean. It sure was nice to get the TLX back. I drove 45 miles one-way to dinner just to drive the last time I got The TLX back after having the loaner for a few days.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:19 PM
Racer

Well my issue re-appeared twice in the last 3 days. After the first bevy of error messages, some of the systems seem to correct themselves. The next morning after starting the car on two occasions every message cleared. It happened again this morning and the car is going in tomorrow so they can take a look at it. I suspect that everything will be fine when they see the car tomorrow. The dealer is about 25 km away so this could get tedious.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:24 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Fingers XXX
Picking up the White Rabbit, after work
Hope the software issues are finished
Tech called me & said it's been tested twice
We'll see
Old 02-06-2015, 05:12 AM
Racer

Well the car spent the day at the dealer. They told me that had discovered a couple of error codes and cleared them. I picked up the car. I had to turn it off to do something and when I restarted it I had about 4 errors on the dash. They are going to try again today. I don't haver a good feeling about this.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

My tech focused on fixing one problem and it turned out that all of the alerts disappeared. In my case, they replaced the fuel filler assembly and I haven't been back since. That was almost 5 months ago. Seems the voltage drop of the fuel filler assembly alert caused the others to go off. Sad but true, it appears.

Good luck.
smoore (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Racer

My tech focused on fixing one problem and it turned out that all of the alerts disappeared. In my case, they replaced the fuel filler assembly and I haven't been back since. That was almost 5 months ago. Seems the voltage drop of the fuel filler assembly alert caused the others to go off. Sad but true, it appears.

Good luck.
Thanks. I remember reading your posts on this issue last year. Was one of your warning lights related to the fuel filler door? I have not had any such alert. In any event, I will mention this to my tech. They still have the car and I don't think they have figured out the problem yet.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:25 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts

Good luck.
Auto tech's are a long way from the grease-monkey's they used to be portrayed as! They have my respect - it's a challenging job that requires some true analytical trouble shooting skills and some luck from time to time!
Old 02-07-2015, 02:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I remember reading your posts on this issue last year. Was one of your warning lights related to the fuel filler door? I have not had any such alert. In any event, I will mention this to my tech. They still have the car and I don't think they have figured out the problem yet.
One of the errors was Emissions System Failure. The other was Electronic Parking Brake failure. The latter was fine.

Good luck!
smoore (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Racer

One of the errors was Emissions System Failure. The other was Electronic Parking Brake failure. The latter was fine.

Good luck!
Thanks. No emissions failure for me. I am getting failures for brakes, electronic brakes, hill assist, LKAS, power steering SHAWD, traction control and few others (sometimes the total is up to 9). On Friday the service advisor and the service manager called to let me know they had not found the problem and had contacted the factory (I think they mentioned Techline) and expected to get back to me tomorrow. The loaner is a 6 cylinder Elite/Advance. This car is nice but the electronic upgrade has not been done. After driving this car for a couple of days I am glad I got the SHAWD Elite/Advance. I really notice a difference.

I suspect it may take them a while to get to the bottom of this. However, I am really impressed with the attitude in the service department at Markham Acura. They gave me a pretty nice loaner so I don't have that much to complain about.
tlxsteve (02-08-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 05:42 AM
Racer

Well the dealer has had the car since Wednesday and had not been able to replicate the issue I had with multiple warning lights. They called on Monday and sought permissions for the tech to take the car home overnight. I said yes. They had planned to keep it the entire week to see if they could replicate the behaviour. They had detected some unusual error codes but they were having trouble figuring out the problem. I was concerned that the problem would now go away for a couple of months like it did before. I told them to let the tech take the car home. They called early yesterday morning and are pretty sure the problem is related to a faulty wheel sensor. That will be replaced today and they will keep it overnight to make sure that the problem does not re-occur. I have my fingers crossed that they have found the problem. Actually, I a pretty impressed with how the Markham Acura dealership took ownership of this problem.
tlxsteve (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 05:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I hope they find the issue and fix it for you, Steve. Nothing worse than an intermittent problem that proves hard to replicate and find.
smoore (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 10:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Steve,

I look forward to hearing your daily updates. I hope they found the issue.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well the dealer has had the car since Wednesday and had not been able to replicate the issue I had with multiple warning lights. They called on Monday and sought permissions for the tech to take the car home overnight. I said yes. They had planned to keep it the entire week to see if they could replicate the behaviour. They had detected some unusual error codes but they were having trouble figuring out the problem. I was concerned that the problem would now go away for a couple of months like it did before. I told them to let the tech take the car home. They called early yesterday morning and are pretty sure the problem is related to a faulty wheel sensor. That will be replaced today and they will keep it overnight to make sure that the problem does not re-occur. I have my fingers crossed that they have found the problem. Actually, I a pretty impressed with how the Markham Acura dealership took ownership of this problem.
My black V-6 TLX has had issues since day 1. The auto wipers didn't work, the a/c increasing as you turn in and out of the sun didn't work, transmission was leaking, transmission slips gears from 4-5, neck snapping jerky from 1-2 and now 4 orange LKAS, blind spot assist, front collision assist, etc show as problems on the dash. To add to that hell, the steering wheel became misaligned and was roughly 30degrees right while driving straight!!! All this on the way to a much needed Valentine's date with my wife. I called David McDavid in Plano and ripped them apart. They towed a loaner to me and took the TLX. I honestly don't want it back and will be filing a lemon with Acura on Monday. I've been more than patient since my LUXURY car has been in the shop 1 collective month in its 5 months I owned it. OH and I have to get the transmission replaced at the end of the month since that's a recall. "It's that kind of REGRET"
Old 02-16-2015, 02:22 PM
Racer

I picked up the car Thursday. They could not install the sensor as it is on back order. It is supposed to arrive on the 21st. They wanted me to keep the loaner and were even prepared to switch out my wheels (with snows) from my car to the loaner. I decided to take my car and they were concerned because all of the warnings were still active on the dash. I took my car and after a couple of minutes the warnings cleared and I have not had any trouble since. Apparently, they had another TLX that had the same problems and it did turn out to be a faulty wheel speed sensor. I will take it back on the 21st and get the sensor replaced.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Burning Brakes

I picked up the car Thursday. They could not install the sensor as it is on back order. It is supposed to arrive on the 21st. They wanted me to keep the loaner and were even prepared to switch out my wheels (with snows) from my car to the loaner. I decided to take my car and they were concerned because all of the warnings were still active on the dash. I took my car and after a couple of minutes the warnings cleared and I have not had any trouble since. Apparently, they had another TLX that had the same problems and it did turn out to be a faulty wheel speed sensor. I will take it back on the 21st and get the sensor replaced.
Excellent. Sounds like you are making progress.

Glad it's a faulty sensor and not something going horrendously wrong.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:29 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have more faith in Acura than me. My wheel sensor is faulty and it disconnected for a few seconds then reconnected leaving my steering wheel 20-30 degrees to the right. I have pictures and submitted my car to Acura for a buyback. What if the sensor goes out in rush hour? Between 2 18wheelers? At high speed in a curve? With my family in it???? Acura has moved my claim onto the buyback group so I am getting rid of this nightmare of a car. Also what if it isn't the sensor but something else causing it to go out like tlxsteve's fuel filler? I can't take that risk on my life or my family's.
tlxsteve (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 07:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by golftro
You have more faith in Acura than me. My wheel sensor is faulty and it disconnected for a few seconds then reconnected leaving my steering wheel 20-30 degrees to the right. I have pictures and submitted my car to Acura for a buyback. What if the sensor goes out in rush hour? Between 2 18wheelers? At high speed in a curve? With my family in it???? Acura has moved my claim onto the buyback group so I am getting rid of this nightmare of a car. Also what if it isn't the sensor but something else causing it to go out like tlxsteve's fuel filler? I can't take that risk on my life or my family's.
You run the same risk with nearly every car in this class, that is, every car with DBW steering. This is not an Acura only "issue".. IJS
Old 02-24-2015, 10:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by golftro
I am clearly not having the same kind of problems as you are having. In fact, since I picked up the car from the dealer almost two weeks ago I have not had any problems notwithstanding that the sensor has not been replaced. When I was having the Christmas tree display of warning lights the only operational problems I noticed were that I did not have SHAWD, ACC or LKAS when those lights were activated (which was not all of the time). Everything else including brakes and steering did work correctly.

From my perspective this is one of those annoying but troublesome intermittent electrical problems. I strongly suspect that the dealer has correctly identified the problem and when the sensor is replaced (later this week), I do not expect to have any further problems. Frankly, I hope this turns out to be the worst problem I do have with this car.
tlxsteve (02-24-2015)

Quick Reply: Most Systems Have Crashed-Help!