Outside mirror replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outside mirror replacement?

I could really use some help, hopefully someone has actually had to replace the mirror glass. I had to put in a new turn signal lens and as such removed the mirror to access the lens. I removed the mirror glass by inserting a screw driver behind the glass and popping out the glass with the back plate intact. There are 2 plastic serated "screws" and two plastic pronged pieces that fit into small gromets. When trying to press the mirror glass back in I broke both of the plastic "pronged" pieces. Any suggestion how to purchase new ones? (I have done extensive searches online and spoke to a Honda and Acura parts guys and they are unsure) Do I buy a new mirror glass? The actuator? The back plate? Plus, any tips on how to install the glass without breaking the pieces? Thanks, BobS
Old 07-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by BobS
I could really use some help, hopefully someone has actually had to replace the mirror glass. I had to put in a new turn signal lens and as such removed the mirror to access the lens. I removed the mirror glass by inserting a screw driver behind the glass and popping out the glass with the back plate intact. There are 2 plastic serated "screws" and two plastic pronged pieces that fit into small gromets. When trying to press the mirror glass back in I broke both of the plastic "pronged" pieces. Any suggestion how to purchase new ones? (I have done extensive searches online and spoke to a Honda and Acura parts guys and they are unsure) Do I buy a new mirror glass? The actuator? The back plate? Plus, any tips on how to install the glass without breaking the pieces? Thanks, BobS
There are several "Used" mirrors on eBay. Perhaps you'll get lucky and find one in your color. It's just three nuts on the inside of the sheet metal and one 11 prong plug (07-11).
Old 07-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The mirror glass and the actuator are very inexpensive.

http://www.acurapartssuperstore.com/...products_id=75

If my link doesn't work, look up your year/make/model on that site, and select "Mirror" from parts list.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
I could really use some help, hopefully someone has actually had to replace the mirror glass. ... any tips on how to install the glass without breaking the pieces? Thanks, BobS
I replaced the driver side mirror on my 2009 RDX because the glass was scratched. I don't exactly remember how the parts fit together, but by looking and positioning carefully, the parts seemed to fit together. However, ...

The one problem that I had was that the prongs on the back of the mirror backing, would not clip over the positioning motor plate. I would assume you had the same problem, and *pushed* on the glass/ mirror too hard.

The problem seems to be that unless the mirror is perfectly positioned, the prongs will not clip/ fasten in place. And because of the sticky stuff on the back of the mirror glass plate, the glass cannot be moved once it is pressed into position.

Remember - I replaced the driver side mirror. I cut off the passenger side lower prong. That left three prongs: when facing the mirror, the upper right & left, and the lower left. All three clipped onto the motor plate, and the *sticky* backing on the new mirror, has held for the past 3-years, in weather conditions from -10 to 120 degrees.

A last comment - I replaced the mirror in 40 degree weather. I used a heat gun (hair dryer actually), to warm the *sticky* on the mirror backing, just before pressing into place.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:41 PM
4th Gear

You know EXACTLY what I am talking about - the first one to really understand my problem!! I am fine buying a new mirror glass, or even the actuator if they come with those plastic pronged pieces. However once I find out how to aquire them, I am still VERY nervous about installing the glass again. I appears from your response that you may have removed the "center" piece from the mirror glass back piece and then heated the glue and pressed the mirror glass onto that center piece vs having that center piece already on the mirror glass and aligning the plastic pieces into the grommets on the actuator, correct? Did you find that easier? Thanks for all your help, Bob S
Old 07-30-2013, 01:43 PM
4th Gear

Mr Marco, I did look into that, roughly $150+ for a used mirror. I even check some junk yards but couldn't quickly find one. I really only need 2 plastic parts that are literally a buck or two! Thats what I am trying to find now.
Thanks BobS
Old 07-30-2013, 01:47 PM
4th Gear

Dear Wessyk87,
I am fine buying either part, however the "parts" guys at the dealership don't know which one contains the 4 plastic "rods" that hold the mirror glass in place! Plus, I am a bit nervous about trying to re-install the glass again, 4 plastic rods plus 3 metal clips are a lot to align when you can "see" behind the mirror!!
Thanks, Bob S
Old 07-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I tried to reply to your Pm, it said your mailbox is full. Post up a pic of your current mirror assy. without the glass. I will let you know what you need.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
... [ed: it] appears from your response that you may have removed the "center" piece from the mirror glass back piece and then heated the glue and pressed the mirror glass onto that center piece vs having that center piece already on the mirror glass and aligning the plastic pieces into the grommets on the actuator, correct?
Well, no - I did exactly what I said - I bought a new mirror sub-assembly, and stuck it back onto the motor. I don't know if what you are suggesting will work, or not. Might give it a try next time (if there is a next time).

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/

As you can see in this picture, there is only a mirror sub-assembly (part 4 or 8), and a positioning motor sub-assembly (part 5 or 6).

I would post a picture of the mirror assembly, but you already have one in your hand - the one you removed.
Attached Thumbnails Outside mirror replacement?-mirrors.png  

Last edited by dcmodels; 08-04-2013 at 06:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mr Marco (08-05-2013)