Oil dipstick incorrect reading?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 12:23 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Oil dipstick incorrect reading?

This is kind of a strange question, but does anyone know why the engine oil dipstick would give an incorrect reading? For the last couple oil changes, my dipstick seems to have always been incorrect. It always clearly reads above the max line.(I put in 5 quarts during my oil changes) however, when I drain out the oil I get about 3 quarts and some change out(I have an oil pump leak which I will take care of soon) And even right before draining out the oil, it'll show above the max line. I usually check my oil after my car has been sitting for awhile.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:41 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Maybe the car came with the wrong dipstick.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:18 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by paperboy42190
my dipstick seems to have always been incorrect. It always clearly reads above the max line.(I put in 5 quarts during my oil changes) however, when I drain out the oil I get about 3 quarts and some change out
I don't have a TL, but after checking the owners manuals it seems that your engine only holds 4.5 quarts (with a filter change) or 4.2 quarts without changing the filter.

So if you put in 5 quarts during an oil change, you are putting in .5 to 0.8 quarts too much (depending on if you also replace the filter). That would cause the high reading on the dipstick.

I can't explain why the dipstick shows a high level when you drain out the oil and get 3.x (let's assume 3.5) quarts out of the pan, plus the .3 quarts remaining in the filter, that accounts for 3.8 quarts which is .7 quart less than the proper level. That amount should probably show at the bottom line of the dipstick.

Also if you put in 5 quarts and only get 3.8 quarts out, that is a 1.2 quart loss. Some of that loss could be due to the burning of oil (which might not be unusual for a 10 year old engine), and some of it could be through gaskets because of the overfilling.

I guess the first step to confirming the dipstick is correct, is to put in the correct amount of oil recommended by Acura and then reevaluate the problem.

Last edited by RDX-Rick; 11-23-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
keep us posted

This is kind of a strange question, but does anyone know why the engine oil dipstick would give an incorrect reading? For the last couple oil changes, my dipstick seems to have always been incorrect. It always clearly reads above the max line.(I put in 5 quarts during my oil changes) however, when I drain out the oil I get about 3 quarts and some change out(I have an oil pump leak which I will take care of soon) And even right before draining out the oil, it'll show above the max line. I usually check my oil after my car has been sitting for awhile.
Please keep us posted about the readings after you put 4.5 quarts in. I had similar problem when getting oil changed at various places.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:30 PM
Life Connoisseur

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
To make sure you get all of the oil out during an oil change, you could start the engine with the drain bolt removed to make sure what is hiding in the nooks and crannies is removed as well. Rev the engine to about 4500 RPMs to really purge the system of oil.

I kid.

I've always just drained, refilled, then measure the dipstick to full capacity, usually close to 4.5+ quarts. I always change the oil filter, always, and more on that in a bit. Warm engine and check level again, and add more per dipstick. Dipstick don't lie.

Why are you measuring the oil level before an oil change? Define awhile. Pics of your dipstick?

Now about the filters. This applies to the non DIY group that take their car someplace to change their oil. Ever see those dirt cheap "oil changes" advertised or received in your email, even from dealerships? Look under your car if you take them up on this offer, was your filter changed? Likely not.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:21 AM

the weird thing is, its always measured fine before. However, lately(as in last couple months), it's always shown incorrectly. I dont know if its possible that somewhere along the way, the dipstick length changed, because the dipstick looks stock to me. And I definitely change my filters when I do my oil changes. I have a slight feeling it might be because of my oil pump leak? I'm not exactly sure how that would affect the reading, but my leak has been getting worse in that area. Perhaps the oil leak is causing oil to be in areas where it shouldnt, therefore causing oil marks above the level. I'm going to be doing my oil pump seals next week though, so we'll see then
Here is a pic of my dipstick I took earlier today. It's been about 4 months since my last oil change(which I put in 5 qts), and I'm at 50% oil life reading, so Im guessing its been about 4-5k miles? I did multiple readings, and wiped it each time, consistently shows the same reading. The car had been sitting for at least an hour prior to taking this reading. I'm sure my oil is way less than the original 5 quarts now, probably should be 4 quarts(or less) by now.

Last edited by paperboy42190; 11-25-2015 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:34 AM
Life Connoisseur

Wow, yeah, subbing this one. Seeing that extra oil after the high mark would raise the hair on my neck.

Don't see how a leak or oil pump would cause this issue. Doesn't the dipstick go into the oil pan when inserted? Taken it off road lately Oil pan looks OK?

EDIT - So, your saying if you were to do an oil change with it showing that on your dipstick, you'd only pull out a little over 3 quarts???

What's your mileage? Do you add between oil changes?

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 11-25-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:52 AM
Life Connoisseur

I just measured my dipstick ('06 Base) and it's 22.25" in length.

Have you ever checked it after driving it fully warm? Is it bubbly?

I usually check after the car is still warm, usually within 10-15 minutes. If you're always waiting hours or over night, you may be actually reading the full 5 quarts your putting in instead of the 4.5 recommended.

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 11-25-2015 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:07 AM
Life Connoisseur

Also, are you using OEM Honda filters?

A theory on the oil pump leak: If the leak would allow the inside pressure to equalize to that outside, the pump could be draining fully into the pan. A proper seal could prevent the pump/sump from draining completely into the pan. Pretty sure the dipstick accounts for what is in the filter and the oil pump; meaning the dipstick measurement would be with these filled. Imagine holding your finger over a straw full of fluid, the faulty seal could be you lifting your finger, allowing the fluid to exit.

I'd check after 10-15 minutes after running the car and before the oil pump has time to completely drain into the pan. Waiting 10-15 minutes is ample time to get an accurate measurement and I've always held the belief to measure the dipstick with a warm engine, not cold.

Same holds true for transmission fluid, it should be checked warm and within minutes of shutting the car off.

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 11-25-2015 at 02:19 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by MonkeyTrucker
Wow, yeah, subbing this one. Seeing that extra oil after the high mark would raise the hair on my neck.

Don't see how a leak or oil pump would cause this issue. Doesn't the dipstick go into the oil pan when inserted? Taken it off road lately Oil pan looks OK?

EDIT - So, your saying if you were to do an oil change with it showing that on your dipstick, you'd only pull out a little over 3 quarts???

What's your mileage? Do you add between oil changes?
my TL definitely doesnt go off roading :P and my oil pan has never been scraped, my car isn't that low.
From what I remember, on my last oil change 4 months ago, the dipstick did read the same amount, and when I drained it out, I got maybe 3.5 qts out. With 3.5 qts, the dipstick should be at the low level.
I'm at 171k miles, never added oil between changes. 3.5 qts is still enough for the car to run fine, I think.

I just measured my dipstick ('06 Base) and it's 22.25" in length.

Have you ever checked it after driving it fully warm? Is it bubbly?

I usually check after the car is still warm, usually within 10-15 minutes. If you're always waiting hours or over night, you may be actually reading the full 5 quarts your putting in instead of the 4.5 recommended.
I will measure my dipstick tomorrow.
I usually wait a good amount of time before checking the dipstick, I suppose I could try only waiting a couple minutes after turning off the car. No the oil has never been bubbly.
Thing is, if I didn't have the oil pump leak, I would assume this reading is normal, as the 5 qts I put in should give it above the max reading. However, I know for a fact that the oil pump is leaking and it shouldn't be at this level still.

Also, are you using OEM Honda filters?

A theory on the oil pump leak: If the leak would allow the inside pressure to equalize to that outside, the pump could be draining fully into the pan. A proper seal could prevent the pump/sump from draining completely into the pan. Pretty sure the dipstick accounts for what is in the filter and the oil pump; meaning the dipstick measurement would be with these filled. Imagine holding your finger over a straw full of fluid, the faulty seal could be you lifting your finger, allowing the fluid to exit.

I'd check after 10-15 minutes after running the car and before the oil pump has time to completely drain into the pan. Waiting 10-15 minutes is ample time to get an accurate measurement and I've always held the belief to measure the dipstick with a warm engine, not cold.

Same holds true for transmission fluid, it should be checked warm and within minutes of shutting the car off.
I usually use purolator oil filters.
Keep in mind, the dipstick used to be accurate, and I used the same filters back then too. And the only thing that's really changed the last couple months/year is the oil pump leak getting worse.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:47 AM
Pro

Once again I don't have a TL, but your dipstick hole caught my eye. Maybe someone else can confirm that the steel "tube" should be pushed tight against the block as it shows in your picture.

Here is a photo from my RDX that shows the tube extends maybe an inch above the block. Sorry about the poor image quality, but I think you can see the difference. I was thinking that the steel tube somehow was forced deeper into the block which would result in higher oil readings on the stick.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:28 AM
GRK
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might be stating the obvious but is the car level when you check it? What about the angle when draining?
Old 11-25-2015, 07:45 AM
Intermediate

I have the same dam problem. Keep me posted on this. Plus I seen this with one other TL too.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:43 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
Once again I don't have a TL, but your dipstick hole caught my eye. Maybe someone else can confirm that the steel "tube" should be pushed tight against the block as it shows in your picture.

Here is a photo from my RDX that shows the tube extends maybe an inch above the block. Sorry about the poor image quality, but I think you can see the difference. I was thinking that the steel tube somehow was forced deeper into the block which would result in higher oil readings on the stick.
The tube is flush on the TL-S.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:39 AM
Intermediate

Two different part numbers

• Part Number: 15650-RCA-A02
  • Part: DIPSTICK
  • Replaces: 15650-RJA-004
Maybe that is a factor
Old 11-25-2015, 10:01 AM
Intermediate

15650-RCA-A01

got that number too for same model car
Old 11-25-2015, 11:52 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by polobunny
The tube is flush on the TL-S.
OK thanks. I was almost sure that would be the reason. It seemed that it would make sense to have the O-rings on the dipstick isolated somewhat from the heat of the block.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:56 PM

I just measured my dipstick. It's also about 22.25'

I checked after driving and the reading looks about the same, and there were like 2 small bubbles on the oil, not sure if that means anything
Old 11-26-2015, 11:24 PM
Life Connoisseur

I just measured my dipstick. It's also about 22.25'

I checked after driving and the reading looks about the same, and there were like 2 small bubbles on the oil, not sure if that means anything
I've never seen bubbles, it's usually a sign of overfilling. I'd stick with the recommended 4.5 quarts in the future.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:26 AM
Life Connoisseur

To clarify, you're putting an extra 11.11% of oil over the recommended amount.

5/4.5 = 1.111111 --> 11.11%

Or another way to think about it, instead of stopping at 9 you're adding 1 for a total of 10 (half quarts).

Now, it begins to sound like more than a marginal amount.

That may help you and others appreciate how much more 0.5 quarts added to your engine really is.

Even 0.5 quarts can increase the pressure enough to do damage to seals and/or gaskets and could very well be the leading cause of your oil pump seal leak -- path of least resistance.

Here's a nice article, see the second answer, a cool video too, other answers are great as well:

https://www.quora.com/How-can-excess...-a-cars-engine
The following users liked this post:
paperboy42190 (12-04-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 01:26 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
You're checking it right after driving, the oil will be agitated. So one or two bubbles doesn't mean much.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:27 AM
Life Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Aman
You're checking it right after driving, the oil will be agitated. So one or two bubbles doesn't mean much.

I've never seen bubbles on any car I've driven after checking the oil 10 minutes after having been driven.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:26 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I have.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:48 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would recommend to drain 2qts. Then measure with the dipstick again. After this, then start pouring it back to the engine in half quarts. (0.5 qts). Until you get that desired level.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:39 PM

So I did my crank seal this week, and also changed my oil. I drained out 4.2 qts. Keep in mind just a couple days prior, the dipstick showed the overfilled amount in my pic above. At 4.2 qts, it should have been slightly under the full line. When I filled the new oil, I was checking the dipstick as I filled it, and it reached the full line at 4.2 qts, so I stopped there. Keep in mind, I left the drain bolt open for about 24 hours( I was working on something else in the meantime). The measurements are taken on a flat level ground, and when I drained the oil it was raised up on jack stands.
The following users liked this post:
petroboy37ent (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 09:09 PM
Pro

You didn't mention if you changed the filter. The filter hold .3 quarts.

So if you drained 4.2 quarts from the pan, plus the additional .3 quarts you didn't measure, you had the recommended 4.5 quarts in your engine when you started and the level should have been at the full line and not under as you have suggested.

If you didn't change your filter, you would only need to add 4.2 quarts to bring the oil up to the full mark on the dipstick. It's also possible that you may have used a filter that was smaller than the OEM filter which would require less than 4.5 quarts to bring the level up to the full mark.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:30 PM

I changed the filter. I use purolator filters, but it should be within oem specs? I could use an oem honda filter if thats really the problem, but I highly doubt everyone using a purolator filter is getting an incorrect dipstick reading.

Even if it did have 4.5 qts, the pic above clearly showed an overflow. Regardless, now that I have it at the right level, I'll keep an eye on it and see how it progresses. I'll keep this thread updated.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:51 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
...Even 0.5 quarts can increase the pressure enough to do damage to seals and/or gaskets and could very well be the leading cause of your oil pump seal leak -- path of least resistance.
Huh?
Old 12-08-2015, 02:43 PM
Life Connoisseur

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Huh?
You put in extra oil, and if it causes extensive pressure, it will go somewhere. Easier to to bust through a rubber seal or gasket material than metal. It was proposed by OP that they had an oil pump leak.

But in clarifying that for you, I'm pretty sure that's not what you wanted to hear. So instead of "Huh?" why not have gone ahead and counter the out of context quote.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:47 PM
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts
Does it really cause extra pressure? I always thought that the crankcase ventilation would help with this and simply purge any extra oil that is not needed. I've never heard of seals failing from too much oil
Old 01-30-2016, 10:15 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try reading the dipstick when the engine isn't running... it wouldn't be the first time I've seen it happen