How to Clear ABS & Read ABS codes, Clear VSA light

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:38 AM
4th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
How to Clear ABS & Read ABS codes, Clear VSA light

I recently had to replace my wheel speed sensor and came across a procedure to clear the ABS codes and the VSA light. In my particular situation even after my sensor was fixed I still had the VSA indicator light and after I would drive for a short distance the light that says "VSA" would come on. I hope this helps someone to clear their codes and skip the stealership. Credit goes to the original author.

1) Jump pins 4 and 9. (I removed obd socket by squeezing the bottom of the plug to remove it from its metal bracket, turned the obd connector around and put a paperclip in the 4th pin (black wire) and the 9th at the bottom (brown wire) )
2) Press and hold the brake pedal and switch on the ignition.
3) Wait for the ABS light to turn off and then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
4) Wait for the ABS light to turn on, then press and hold the brake pedal again.
5) ABS light should turn off, then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
6) Wait for two flashes of ABS light. If it flashes it means that errors are erased.

Check the errors (with the pins jumped) - just turn the ignition on, if ABS light does not flash, no errors are in memory.

If your vsa indictor light (triangle with exclamation point is on) and after you drive a distance the icon that reads "VSA" illuminates, try this:

VSA neutral position setting

Do not touch the brake pedal anymore.

1) Jump pin 9 (brown wire) to chassis ground (I have used a bolt on a door hinge, some people say they just left pins 4 & 9 jumped and it worked, I used a paperclip and wire to make it reach the door bolt).
2) Turn the ignition on, after ABS light turns off, quickly press the "VSA off" button.
3) After ABS light turns on again, quickly press the "VSA off" button.
4) Now shoud be a lot of different blinks and fashes and all lights ABS, VSA and triangle should turn off. The problem's solved.

I hope this helps someone!
The following 5 users liked this post by jsch6584:
93LT1 (12-19-2020), Bambam30 (04-26-2021), Eric Keppel (09-06-2019), Jacob G (01-01-2024), patricknaj69 (08-18-2021)
Old 10-20-2014, 04:41 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This worked. I have ABS/VSA and /!\ lights on. This Will flash the TPMS lights and also chime, helps if you close the door for the chime.

Here is a good place to find the codes How To Pull CEL, D4, SRS, and ABS Codes (with Code Lists) - Honda-Tech

Use Post 5 or OBDII for 3G TL
The following users liked this post:
JCash23 (07-29-2022)
Old 10-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had unhooked my battery to clear all my lights and no problem since after hooking it back up
Old 02-11-2015, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2006 Acura TL and recently the ABS, VSA activation indicator (“!” inside the triangle) and VSA system indicator lights came on. Using an Autel scanner, I received DTCs for 16-1 (right rear wheel sensor), 18-1 (left rear wheel sensor) and 84-1 (VSA Sensor Neutral Position). Before taking on the 84-1, I ordered and installed new wheel sensors for both the left and right rear. Then I cleared all DTCs, then took it for a test drive. The ABS light was off and the 16-1 and 18-1 codes did not reappear. The VSA lights both came back on and the 84-1 reappeared.

I then tried to perform the VSA sensor neutral position memorization and thought that the Autel would be able to short the SCS as it has that function within the menu. It even asked if I wanted to continue “shorting the SCS”, which I clicked on “yes”. Once I turned the ignition switch to the ON (II) position and the ABS light came on, then went off, I hit the “VSA Off” switch right away, as per the instructions...the ABS light never came back on for me to hit the VSA Off switch again. Having trying this procedure 15-20 times (every time re-starting with the Autel to short the SCS), I gave up.

Instead of using the Autel, I decided to use the alternative method of shorting pin 9 using a paperclip, connected to a line to the negative (ground) battery terminal. The very first time I did this, the ABS light actually came back on after I hit the VSA off switch, but then the “TPMS” system indicator as well as the message “Check TPMS” came on the multi-information display as I tried the VSA sensor neutral position memorization procedure. The other lights (VSA and ABS) would continue to flash with the TPMS, however I noticed that it was doing a count up of beeping...first it would go odds, then evens, up to 9 and 10 beeps. I have left it going through this countup/flashing process for more than 5 minutes and it never stopped (i.e. all the lights never went off). I tried about 10 times then gave up. Is the TPMS flashing normal and what am I doing wrong to complete the VSA Sensor Neutral Position Memorization procedure?

On a side note, when I start the car and drive it around the TPMS light(s) do not come on. I checked the tire pressure as displayed on the multi-information display, and it was all fine. I also checked using a tire gauge and all were within 1-2 PSI, so I adjusted so that they were exactly to spec. I cleared the 84-1 again, test drove it but the 84-1came back. I also re-tried the VSA Sensor Neutral Position Memorization procedure, but the TPMS message and light keeps flashing when I attempt to do so.

So here I am....84-1 DTC, VSA lights both on and I cannot complete the VSA Sensor Neutral Position Memorization procedure, which should fix the 84-1. Any suggestions/ideas?
Old 08-31-2016, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jsch6584
I recently had to replace my wheel speed sensor and came across a procedure to clear the ABS codes and the VSA light. In my particular situation even after my sensor was fixed I still had the VSA indicator light and after I would drive for a short distance the light that says "VSA" would come on. I hope this helps someone to clear their codes and skip the stealership. Credit goes to the original author.

1) Jump pins 4 and 9. (I removed obd socket by squeezing the bottom of the plug to remove it from its metal bracket, turned the obd connector around and put a paperclip in the 4th pin (black wire) and the 9th at the bottom (brown wire) )
2) Press and hold the brake pedal and switch on the ignition.
3) Wait for the ABS light to turn off and then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
4) Wait for the ABS light to turn on, then press and hold the brake pedal again.
5) ABS light should turn off, then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
6) Wait for two flashes of ABS light. If it flashes it means that errors are erased.

Check the errors (with the pins jumped) - just turn the ignition on, if ABS light does not flash, no errors are in memory.

If your vsa indictor light (triangle with exclamation point is on) and after you drive a distance the icon that reads "VSA" illuminates, try this:

VSA neutral position setting

Do not touch the brake pedal anymore.

1) Jump pin 9 (brown wire) to chassis ground (I have used a bolt on a door hinge, some people say they just left pins 4 & 9 jumped and it worked, I used a paperclip and wire to make it reach the door bolt).
2) Turn the ignition on, after ABS light turns off, quickly press the "VSA off" button.
3) After ABS light turns on again, quickly press the "VSA off" button.
4) Now shoud be a lot of different blinks and fashes and all lights ABS, VSA and triangle should turn off. The problem's solved.

I hope this helps someone!
This really works thanks alot!!!!
Old 02-06-2017, 04:38 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the exact same issue after changing my ABS sensors. Found this thread and it worked for me
/!\ and VSA won't bother anymore.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:11 PM
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Just to clarify, the first steps 1-6 are only for pulling ABS codes correct? Not VSA codes?
My VSA warning light came on twice last night after hitting a pothole in NYC, one thing led to another and I made a mountain out of a molehill, I found this thread and attempted to pull codes using this method. Used a paperclip to jump pins 4 and 9, saw a tiny short/spark as soon as I jumped them which blew the FI ECU fuse.

I now see the VSA code is displayed on the nav screen, 25 yaw rate sensor. Well that was easy!
I knew there had to have been an easier way to pull codes compared to my first OBD1 95 Prelude.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:48 PM
1st Gear

Thumbs up Was able to clear using Autel

I'd attempted this multiple times using a jumper with no success, the light just kept coming back on, even after replacing all the TPMS sensors. Thanks to this thread and a few of the links, I went through the process described above, checking all the sensors using an Autel scanner (in the Acura specific option). They all seemed to be providing valid data, including the wheel speed sensors and VSA OFF switch (it is only ON while being pressed, not a toggle), so I used the scanner to reset all the codes and even reset the Neutral Position sensor. That cleared up all the warning lights and codes. Thanks AcuraZine contributors!
Old 01-31-2019, 07:25 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by twokexlv6coupe
Just to clarify, the first steps 1-6 are only for pulling ABS codes correct? Not VSA codes?
My VSA warning light came on twice last night after hitting a pothole in NYC, one thing led to another and I made a mountain out of a molehill, I found this thread and attempted to pull codes using this method. Used a paperclip to jump pins 4 and 9, saw a tiny short/spark as soon as I jumped them which blew the FI ECU fuse.

I now see the VSA code is displayed on the nav screen, 25 yaw rate sensor. Well that was easy!
I knew there had to have been an easier way to pull codes compared to my first OBD1 95 Prelude.
I’m new to this community and surprised at some of the lack of follow up with things to close out issues.

To answer your your question I fought this issue when I got my car and asked myself the same question you asked. I could not find the answer. I was stuck figuring it for myself. It does matter that you have to do the whole sequence from ABS all the way through the VSA process. I tried to do the process just for my issue and it would never clear the VSA and /!\ light. I did the whole process and it cleared as stated. I never had any real issue leading up to this other than I got a new motor for my car. After new motor was installed these lights showed up. This really does work but you need to be timely in your reaction to presses of pedal/buttons and follow procedure from top to bottom as instructed.

I know I’m like two years late to this and I hope if it doesn’t help you now it will at least help someone else down the line.
The following users liked this post:
93LT1 (12-19-2020)
Old 02-01-2019, 10:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by MasterMason357

I’m new to this community and surprised at some of the lack of follow up with things to close out issues.

To answer your your question I fought this issue when I got my car and asked myself the same question you asked. I could not find the answer. I was stuck figuring it for myself. It does matter that you have to do the whole sequence from ABS all the way through the VSA process. I tried to do the process just for my issue and it would never clear the VSA and /!\ light. I did the whole process and it cleared as stated. I never had any real issue leading up to this other than I got a new motor for my car. After new motor was installed these lights showed up. This really does work but you need to be timely in your reaction to presses of pedal/buttons and follow procedure from top to bottom as instructed.

I know I’m like two years late to this and I hope if it doesn’t help you now it will at least help someone else down the line.

No follow-up from me was b/c I pretty much answered my own question in the same post; I was wondering if this process would also pull VSA codes.

Turns out VSA codes are simply shown on the nav screen, nice and easy
My VSA code was for the yaw rate sensor, I swapped that out, now no more VSA light!
Old 09-06-2019, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

Full ABS / VSA procedure worked great on my 2005 MDX, Thanks!

This is an old thread but I wanted to mention my experience in case it helps others.

I brought my 05 MDX into a local auto shop for an inspection today and their mechanic ran my battery down to the point where the car wouldn't start when he was finished. After he got it started again with a portable battery pack, there were ABS codes and all sorts of other blinking lights on the dash, lol.

He hooked up his scanner and cleared the ABS light, but as I drove off I noticed the VSA indicator and VSA off also had come on.

Rather than go back (I was kind of fed up with the guy), I decided to try to reset it myself using the above procedure and it worked great, so thank you!

Initially, I couldn't get the VSA light to go out using only the VSA reset portion, so ended up doing both ABS and VSA in that order. Yay, no more VSA lights!

For my MDX it was only necessary to jumper pins 4 and 9 for the entire procedure.

Thanks again for this really helpful post!

Eric
Old 10-30-2019, 01:39 PM
2nd Gear

Good post thanks
Old 10-30-2019, 01:41 PM
2nd Gear

Can you recommend a place who can rebuild the ABS module for a 2010 Acura TSX? The unit has stuck motor codes and I have checked fuses and grounds. The unit is pulled and ready to ship.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:55 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
I just took my 2007 RL into the Mechanic for all the brakes to be replaced front and rear they also replaced a wiring harness related to my air conditioner problem and when I got the car back I’m getting the same exclamation warning light on the car and once I hit a certain speed the VSA light comes on.

The dealer said bring it back they’ll take care of it I’m curious if this problem that you’re describing is something that the mechanic can easily clear with their equipment I’d rather not mess with trying to jump pens and go through this process and just let them do it??
Old 03-07-2021, 11:34 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just did the fix outlined above to jump the 4 & 9 pins, last Friday. Worked perfectly except for some user error issues. My VSA lights came on after the battery level dropped (due to a non-finished door actuator install that was apparently draining power somewhere).
Before buying that fancy OBDII tool I saw that can clear this, I thought I'd try this option. A 5 inch piece of electrical wire did the trick...the first time I don't think I inserted the wire far enough b/c the light stayed on. But then I cleared the codes with my BlueDriver then did it again, and it worked. Drove the car all weekend and no more lights popping up. I have a feeling the dealer was not going to be cheap just to clear that light.
Old 11-07-2023, 08:16 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by twokexlv6coupe
No follow-up from me was b/c I pretty much answered my own question in the same post; I was wondering if this process would also pull VSA codes.

Turns out VSA codes are simply shown on the nav screen, nice and easy
My VSA code was for the yaw rate sensor, I swapped that out, now no more VSA light!
Could you provide a link to the 06 TL yaw rate sensor replacement procedure? I’ve read that it requires disassembly of the center console. I’d like to know more, possibly a video, since my Autel scanner showed possible issues with the yaw rate sensor. THanks
Old 11-07-2023, 08:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Shootnjohn
Could you provide a link to the 06 TL yaw rate sensor replacement procedure? I’ve read that it requires disassembly of the center console. I’d like to know more, possibly a video, since my Autel scanner showed possible issues with the yaw rate sensor. THanks

Sorry I didn't take any vids, I did it 5 years ago. The yaw rate sensor is located pretty much underneath and behind the bottom storage cubby under the radio that has the cigarette lighter off to the side. The FSM goes over what needs to be removed to access it.
Old 11-12-2023, 06:50 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2010 TSX and the VSA, ABS, BRAKES and triangle with "!" lights came on the dash. Checked the brake fluid level, the fuses in the engine and passenger compartment and brake pads with no issues.
I initiated the procedure to clear the ABS code by connecting a wire to the #4 and 9 pins in the OBD socket. I got to step 3 and the ABS light never came back on. I pulled the wire from the OBD socket, started the vehicle and all of the lights I wanted to clear are now off.