Headlight: Condensation from Cold or Water or What? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
Headlight: Condensation from Cold or Water or What? Please help!

Hey all...
I recently purchased a set of cleared lights from a fellow member that says he never had condensation problems with these.
I will say that they both look to be sealed very well.

First day I washed the car I got a lot of condensation on the passenger side. 2nd day it rained a LOT I got a lot of condensation in the passenger side and a little on driver side.

So last weekend:
I took off the passenger light and resealed around any little gap or opening with more adhesive silicone sealant. I sealed up the ballast to the headlight with some silicone sealant along with using some shin etsu grease to revitalize all the rubber seals. I also threw in 5 packs of dessicant (out of shoe boxes) for good measure.

Washed the car and "tada"! No condensation. Went to lunch yesterday (it's been in the 40's and 50's since yesterday which is cold for us...but no rain) and there's condensation again...get to work this morning after driving in 30something degree weather and there's condensation. I'm guessing from the heat of my daytime running light and the cold outside.

Keeping in mind that even my untouched OEM lights sometimes had a little condensation in them.

Any ideas...at this point I'm thinking it's NOT leak related...because it's not raining at all! What's up? I don't get it! Please let me know anything you guys can think of.

Thank you!
Old 02-11-2010, 09:50 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
before you resealed everything, was all of the water out of the headlight?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:54 AM

Would the assumption be that there is humidity trapped in this particular headlight then? Is that what you mean?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:04 AM
One on the right for me

Only thing I can think of right now
Old 02-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
agreed. when the tails are sealed there not in a air tight room like the factory would do it. with humidity and local weather when "we" seal them there is air trapped inside and may react with the weather.hope this helps
Old 02-11-2010, 10:59 AM
One on the right for me

One of my headlights finally had its seal fail. Some water made it in during the last big storm. Not really a big deal I guess, lasted about 4 years with no problems. I'm debating whether to open them back up and dry them out or just until no water is visible then go over with another layer of silicone
Old 02-11-2010, 12:33 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
hmm just throwing a thought out there, but if you pulled the headlight out, take out the bulbs and put it somewhere with a dehumidifier, that might do the trick.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:20 PM

That is a very good idea...what about opening it up right now or putting a shopvac to one of the bulbholes...that should suck any humidity out of it...especially while it's cold out and the humidity level is super low.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:09 PM

Ok...so I'm gonna put this out there...
Is there a common misconception behind the condensation inside a headlight. It is more than likely trapped humidity that just keeps changing from liquid to a gas and reforms as a liquid on the inside of the lens, right?

So...that said, it stands to reason that a lot of times, when we experience condensation it's actually trapped humidity and not a bad job of sealing up the lights.

So...the goal would be to get all the bulbs and all the silicone seals ONTO the light when you know that the humidity has been removed from it. I would venture to guess that Honda assembles these lights (or whomever they subcontract) in a low humidity room and then throw in the dessicant packs for good measure. Could these potentially store humidity though...and then fog up after the fact?

My solution today: wish me luck...
I drove around for a bit with my lows and factory fogs on...got the inside of the light super hot....it's in the 50's here tonight...so inevitably...that humidity that is presumably trapped inside formed condensation on the inside of the lense.

I drove home...pulled out the factory fog/drl bulb and pulled out the little plug where the HID wiring is routed to (both are reachable from engine bay). I then proceeded to put my shop vac up to the little plug's hole (both holes open and shop vac creates a vaccum and the negative pressure sucks all interior air out of the light. What do you know...in seconds I WATCHED the humidity come off of the inside of the lense and disappear into thin air (or my vaccum). I then switched off vaccum and put both bulb and plug back in as fast as humanly possible. Being that the humidity level is super low today...I'm hoping that ends this charade...

I'm writing this in hopes of sparking some brainstorming and possibly helping someone else that might be having trouble with this!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:30 PM
One on the right for me

That should help
Old 02-12-2010, 02:12 AM
NBP is a pain...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Ok...so I'm gonna put this out there...
Is there a common misconception behind the condensation inside a headlight. It is more than likely trapped humidity that just keeps changing from liquid to a gas and reforms as a liquid on the inside of the lens, right?

So...that said, it stands to reason that a lot of times, when we experience condensation it's actually trapped humidity and not a bad job of sealing up the lights.

So...the goal would be to get all the bulbs and all the silicone seals ONTO the light when you know that the humidity has been removed from it. I would venture to guess that Honda assembles these lights (or whomever they subcontract) in a low humidity room and then throw in the dessicant packs for good measure. Could these potentially store humidity though...and then fog up after the fact?

My solution today: wish me luck...
I drove around for a bit with my lows and factory fogs on...got the inside of the light super hot....it's in the 50's here tonight...so inevitably...that humidity that is presumably trapped inside formed condensation on the inside of the lense.

I drove home...pulled out the factory fog/drl bulb and pulled out the little plug where the HID wiring is routed to (both are reachable from engine bay). I then proceeded to put my shop vac up to the little plug's hole (both holes open and shop vac creates a vaccum and the negative pressure sucks all interior air out of the light. What do you know...in seconds I WATCHED the humidity come off of the inside of the lense and disappear into thin air (or my vaccum). I then switched off vaccum and put both bulb and plug back in as fast as humanly possible. Being that the humidity level is super low today...I'm hoping that ends this charade...

I'm writing this in hopes of sparking some brainstorming and possibly helping someone else that might be having trouble with this!
thanks for the tip! i'll try that out since my driver headlight has been fogging up and i don't want to reseal it up just yet.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:49 AM

No problem man. I hope I'm right in theory. I've been trying to understand these lights for a long time. If I'm right, then I think a lot of people have been spending a lot of time opening and resealing and resealing to no avail because they don't understand that it's the humidity that is getting trapped inside and not from a leak from exterior water.

UPDATE: PS...50's again this morning...drove to work with my drl's and parking lights on as per usual...got to work and what do you know...NO condensation this morning. It's looking good!

And this would apply to tails AND headlights for all you modified guys and gals out there...this might work for your tails if you're getting condensation too. Remember...2 holes and a shop vac to create the negative pressure and hopefully get the humidity out while it's transitioning from Vapor to liquid and back.

-J.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:53 PM

Ok...so it was pouring on the way home tonight...an hour in hard rain and heavy traffic...get home and I have condensation again. This is getting annoying. Unless it's showing up in pockets until it's all gone. I'm not thinking the dessicant packs may retain some humidity in them maybe? I'm not sure.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:50 PM

Ok...thought I'd update on what appears to have been a solution for me.

I've had a few drives in cold weather and yesterday thru rain and I have nothing. NO condensation now.

What I did? I used the extension I made...from the shopvac 3"connection down to a 1.5" reducer...then electrical taped a footlong piece of hose to that. I stuck the hose into one hole and left the DRL bulb out. For 5 min. or so I blew a hair dryer on "hot" and "high" into that and that displaced all the condensation INSIDE the lense. I then used plumber's TEFLON tape to wrap the base of the DRL socket (which seemed like it wasn't seating tightly). I put enough on so it would sit snugly in the hole.

DONE> Hope this helps someone else.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Sounds like a pretty easy fix now that you've done all the work! Thanks for sharing. I'm sure a lot of us will be able to make good use of this method. Keep us posted on long term results, please.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:22 PM

Absolutley man. But I CAN tell you, it was getting condensation as soon as I would drive in cool weather and it's been a solid week since I did this and have been through both scenarios...multiple cold days and heavy rain and it's been solid.

We'll see...I'll update in a few weeks and when rainy season comes. Hope this is it!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:22 AM
AM MT Navi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm thinking the SFL weather may be playing a big part. My original headlights used to occasionally get some moisture. When I sent them to JnC as was removing the ballasts and bulbs, i threw away the little silica bags w/o giving it a second thought.
Now I'm getting moisture a lot more often....many times when it's not even raining outside. JnC said it has something to do with the ambient temperatures and he's probably right because I notice the moisture most often a little after sundown.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by shotcaller88
I'm thinking the SFL weather may be playing a big part. My original headlights used to occasionally get some moisture. When I sent them to JnC as was removing the ballasts and bulbs, i threw away the little silica bags w/o giving it a second thought.
Now I'm getting moisture a lot more often....many times when it's not even raining outside. JnC said it has something to do with the ambient temperatures and he's probably right because I notice the moisture most often a little after sundown.
For sure man...it's MUCH worse for us SFL guys. The humidity is so high it might as well be raining inside the headlight. Are you going to the meet on Saturday? We can talk more about it then. I ended up raiding my gf's Steve Madden shoe boxes for all her silica packs in addition to the OEM one. That, along with the teflon tape and this method of the hot air from the hairdryer, so far, seem to be the ticket.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:27 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baaaked

Absolutley man. But I CAN tell you, it was getting condensation as soon as I would drive in cool weather and it's been a solid week since I did this and have been through both scenarios...multiple cold days and heavy rain and it's been solid.

We'll see...I'll update in a few weeks and when rainy season comes. Hope this is it!
Hey Rockstar143, it's been about 4 months now since you conducted the vacuum shenanigans. any condensation build up?

PS. i'm gonna have to bake my headlights soon because the front glass has some residual schmut on the inside for some reason (doesn't seem to be gas or liquid water) and i wanted to slap some ZKW Rs on there. i recall somewhere else you were saying 195deg for 8 mins, no preheat on the bottom rack right? the real question is, having taken off the front glass before, did you ever have to polish it? i've wet sanded and buffed the outside but the inside is dog crap. Thanks.

05 TL 5AT nighthawk
Old 06-28-2010, 08:18 PM

it's funny, i was thinking mine was dirty too...but MAN, I took special care to clean up before putting it back together. Maybe I'm just staring at it more now because my gf's 08 accord is like that too!

about the condensation, proud to report that my theory was correct. have had plenty of rain and washing the car with NO condensation. Even better than OEM because even originally, I used to get a little.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:16 AM
9th Gear

it's funny, i was thinking mine was dirty too...but MAN, I took special care to clean up before putting it back together. Maybe I'm just staring at it more now because my gf's 08 accord is like that too!

about the condensation, proud to report that my theory was correct. have had plenty of rain and washing the car with NO condensation. Even better than OEM because even originally, I used to get a little.
Actually i found the post where you blacked out the ambers (badazz btw) and i figured i'd undertake the mission cuz my lights are lookin fugly. got one of those ryobi plastic polishing kits from the good 'ol depot, ill let you know how the inside comes out. i was thinking about your situation with the condensation, and i'm guessing it was the loose DRLs that caused it if the desiccants didn't solve it. my problem might just be oxidation on the inside. what kind of silicone did you use to seal the lens back on?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the compliment man!

I actually ended up using the nissan butyl rubber stuff, it's a roll and you kinds stretch it and put it in the groove and then baked and pressed back together. About the crud on the inside...if you had condensation, maybe it's mold or something. Be careful with those wundergadgets to fix stuff...it may make it worse. Take a good look at what it is before applying the and buffer.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:36 AM
1st TL-S on air in

so i have a question. I have slight condensation build up and yes my headlights are sealed i redid them with the nissan rubtyl rubber and i placed a fat bead of silicone around the housing for extra measures. Im assuming that there is moisture in the housing prior to placing the last bulb. If i leave it the way it is than the condensation should not leave regardless if i leave it in the sun right? That would mean that the headlights are sealed and nothing is getting in and going out. So how can you determine if the moisture absorbing pack is still good. I kinda getting frustrated with the headlight because i been taking them on and off for about 3 weeks now. Any suggestions.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:22 AM

Dude...honestly, I was very concerned with that myself...I even went to the dealership to buy new moisture packs and they didn't know what I was talking about.

Find a way to route that blow dryer air into the hole of the factory foglight bulb and open the little grommet that the OEM Hid black/red wiring is routed thru. Run the hot air thru that via the garden hose and something to funnel it in there for about 5 minutes and trust me. It'll be done. I only sealed my lights ONCE, I did NOT use any extra silicone for added measure and I have not seen ANY condensation on this set of lights. I mean, a little tiny bit will work itself out. But if you're annoyed with it, do the blowdryer thing and it SHOULD solve the problem. I'm going on like 5 months of rain and every type of issue...without condensation.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Dude...honestly, I was very concerned with that myself...I even went to the dealership to buy new moisture packs and they didn't know what I was talking about.

Find a way to route that blow dryer air into the hole of the factory foglight bulb and open the little grommet that the OEM Hid black/red wiring is routed thru. Run the hot air thru that via the garden hose and something to funnel it in there for about 5 minutes and trust me. It'll be done. I only sealed my lights ONCE, I did NOT use any extra silicone for added measure and I have not seen ANY condensation on this set of lights. I mean, a little tiny bit will work itself out. But if you're annoyed with it, do the blowdryer thing and it SHOULD solve the problem. I'm going on like 5 months of rain and every type of issue...without condensation.
I have a type-s so i would need to take out the drl bulb and blinker. I guess this is my last resort. I am going to leave the car in the sun and hopefully that evaporates the moisture in the housing and the packet can absorb most of it. If that doesnt work than ill try the blow dryer and vacuum method. Ill also look into replacing the moisture packets if this doesnt as well. Im running out of options. So frustrating
Old 07-16-2010, 10:18 PM
1st TL-S on air in

so after letting it bake in the sun all day i still had small spots of condensation. I did the blow dryer and vacuum and what do you know it worked . I let the car run in idle for about 30mins and nothing. I must admit though that i was a little skeptical that it would work but so far so good. Ill post an update in a few days. Thanks for the blow dryer and vacuum suggestion.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
If you look closely as your fog light and turn signal bulb, they are not "air tight" and they wobble.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:37 PM

Ack, you're right.
WRX BOY...
dude...you actually only need the fitting of the shopvac to route the air of the blowdryer...the blowdryer hot air routed into the housing and then coming out the other opening is enough to work. I did 2-5 minute sessions on each housing.

THE ICING ON THE CAKE THAT SHOULD STOP THIS FROM EVER HAPPENING AGAIN.
I forgot to mention, throw some teflon tape around the DRL bulb base...it's the only "loose" one that allows humidity in. The HID's are airtight as are the parking light bulb bases...this is the "loose" cannon.

Do that and this should be the end of humidity for you. I'm telling you, the dealership near me didn't know wtf I was even talking about when I tried to rebuy the extra silica packs!
Old 07-17-2010, 12:41 PM

Ok...for some reason I thought I had shared my final product solution on THIS thread, but turns out it was on my thread about blacking out the lights...read the later posts on this other thread to see everything I'm talking about as far as condensation in lights.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/those-about-rock-no-wait-i-meant-blackout-headlights-new-idea-774441/
Old 07-22-2010, 01:50 PM
1st TL-S on air in

so i suspect i have a crack in my headlight housing somewhere. I ripped apart the headlights and resealed them with the nissan sealant and i went generous this time around. After this i tried to pressure test but there are to many variables to pressure test, i was getting air leaks from the light sockets, but not coming around the socket but through the light socket electrical connection. Ive change every bulb numerous times and to rule out the bulb. With every bulb change i still have the same condensation in the same spots. I know there is a leak somewhere cause within 20mins of running the car with the headlights on i form up condensation and within 2 hours of shutting the car and headlights off the condensation is gone. I even siliconed the ballast hole on the bottom for good measure. Is there something i am missing or over looking. I am kinda getting really frustrated at this point.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:03 PM

Well, I will say there was SLIGHT condensation when I got done with my method. But after one cycle of evaporating it disappeared and never came back. OR, I hit it again with the blow dryer.

Did you read the other thread I had?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:27 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Well, I will say there was SLIGHT condensation when I got done with my method. But after one cycle of evaporating it disappeared and never came back. OR, I hit it again with the blow dryer.

Did you read the other thread I had?
i have done the blow dryer method a few times and still get the same result after running the car for a few cycles. Ive made a home made pressure tester and sprayed every part that has a potential area to leak with soapy water and nothing. I have one last thing to try and that is change out the desiccant packs. The pack measures 4" x 3" for those who were wondering the size. If this doesnt work than im just going to buy a driver side headlight and work from there. This condensation thing is driving me
Old 07-22-2010, 08:00 PM
1st TL-S on air in

I just had a thought. I wonder if the desiccant pack is no longer good. Every time i looked for the leak i left two bulbs off to let the condensation work itself out over night while i slept. Would this mean the pack was trying to dehumidify the whole room as it is always humid here in hawaii. So what ever residual humidity left in the headlight after i blew dry it would condensate up cause the desiccant pack no longer worked. I guess ill have to see if a new desiccant pack works.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:16 PM

Keep us posted, man...
it's always a learning process, man! I've had success with 2 sets of lights but who knows...maybe this is a different issue?!!

I'm stuck with my vibrating 19's at highways speeds driving ME fuc*in crazy right now.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:54 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
This is crazy hearing about all of the condensation issues When I did my headlights I did it ALL inside of my house and I never had any issues at all with condensation. Reason me saying that is I've heard if you open your headlights on a humind/wet day then when you reseal them on a day with the same weather conditions then you'll trap all the moisture inside the headlight. Maybe I got lucky Kudos to you all for figuring easy methods of getting rid of it though!
Old 07-23-2010, 07:10 AM

Thanks man!
I'm hoping WRXboy will figure it out too...there's nothing like a mod that whoops ur azz...and keeps you up in bed at night.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:13 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Keep us posted, man...
it's always a learning process, man! I've had success with 2 sets of lights but who knows...maybe this is a different issue?!!

I'm stuck with my vibrating 19's at highways speeds driving ME fuc*in crazy right now.
Are you using hub centric rings with your wheels, that could cause the crazy vibrations as well as the correct lugs.

Originally Posted by AMUA6
This is crazy hearing about all of the condensation issues When I did my headlights I did it ALL inside of my house and I never had any issues at all with condensation. Reason me saying that is I've heard if you open your headlights on a humind/wet day then when you reseal them on a day with the same weather conditions then you'll trap all the moisture inside the headlight. Maybe I got lucky Kudos to you all for figuring easy methods of getting rid of it though!
I have cleared so many lights that i have never had this condensation problem it only started happening after i added my switch backs and nokya drl's. Yes i did switch back to stock and still the same results.

Thanks man!
I'm hoping WRXboy will figure it out too...there's nothing like a mod that whoops ur azz...and keeps you up in bed at night.
this mod is whooping my ass. So i bought new desiccant packs for $3 each (4 was the minimum order). Im going to try this and if this doesnt work than its buy a new headlight housing.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Nismo TL yo!

why would you think the dealership would sell dessicant packets? the packets are sealed in the headlights and sold from the factory as an assembly, not in pieces. I could understand why they were confused with your request.

For those of you in warmer, drier areas, pull out the fog bulbs and let the lights sit in the sun for a few hours. this took care of my issues. never had condensation.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:49 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s
why would you think the dealership would sell dessicant packets? the packets are sealed in the headlights and sold from the factory as an assembly, not in pieces. I could understand why they were confused with your request.

For those of you in warmer, drier areas, pull out the fog bulbs and let the lights sit in the sun for a few hours. this took care of my issues. never had condensation.
Im in hawaii with sunlight all day and still have condensation. Which is why i suspect the housing or lens to have a crack somewhere.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s

I have nipples Greg, can you milk me?
Ok...dealerships sell whole cars, right? Would you think it to stop by the dealership to buy a bolt you may have stripped, or some oil or weatherstripping? I mean, they sell whole cars with all these things in them, but they're not a parts store.
Yeah, I'm sure you get my point. Thanks for adding something useful to the thread btw.

PS...thanks for the sunlight tip. That's like jumping into a thread on brain surgery and making the suggestion to take a couple of aspirin. Either way, thanks for stopping in!

Quick Reply: Headlight: Condensation from Cold or Water or What? Please help!