NY/NJ New Jersey & New York

NJ DMV inspection (new law)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NJ DMV inspection (new law)

this is goes out to all the people living in NJ with tints on the front window (ignore if this is not you)

we all know that tints on front window and NJ law dont mix, just like oil and vinegar.

as of august 1st 2010, state of NJ motor vehicle commission has made changes in their inspection stations.

the new headline reads: [IMG]file:///C:/Users/FRED%7E1.MAH/AppData/Local/Temp/1/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/FRED%7E1.MAH/AppData/Local/Temp/1/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
Changes effective August 1, 2010: emissions check only

Does this mean they are not checking for tints or anything else that is not emission related? So if i take my car with 20% in the front window, will it fail?! or do they not check for that anymore?!..?

here is the link to the NJ MVC website
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Inspectio...erstanding.htm

cheers
Old 08-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe, if your car is 5 years or older, you need an emissions inspections every two years. They are no longer doing a visual or mechanical check on anything other than your emissions.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timb227
I believe, if your car is 5 years or older, you need an emissions inspections every two years. They are no longer doing a visual or mechanical check on anything other than your emissions.
all you need to do is pass emissions
Old 08-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Cruisin'

Are they checking check engine lights
Old 08-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Persia-TL
this is goes out to all the people living in NJ with tints on the front window (ignore if this is not you)

we all know that tints on front window and NJ law dont mix, just like oil and vinegar.

as of august 1st 2010, state of NJ motor vehicle commission has made changes in their inspection stations.

the new headline reads: [IMG]file:///C:/Users/FRED%7E1.MAH/AppData/Local/Temp/1/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/FRED%7E1.MAH/AppData/Local/Temp/1/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
Changes effective August 1, 2010: emissions check only

Does this mean they are not checking for tints or anything else that is not emission related? So if i take my car with 20% in the front window, will it fail?! or do they not check for that anymore?!..?

here is the link to the NJ MVC website
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Inspectio...erstanding.htm

cheers
My brother went like 2 weeks ago with his wife's car with tints in front and it passed without any issues. Keep in mind that if a cop pulls you over, there won't be any warnings.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GUTY27
nope...no physical inspection what so ever...all you need to do is pass emissions...it's saving the state a sh#t load of money
Old 08-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Cruisin'

No lights of any kind, just emissions. Remember though that if a cop pulls you over though he might (most likely will) check anything and everything that the DMV didn't and you WILL get a ticket for every issue.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:20 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I took my car for inspection this month. PASSED. What they don't bother with anymore is the safety aspect of the inspection. They only scan your car for codes aka emissions.

Lowered, exhaust, tints, intake ect.. I got in and out within 5 mins passed.

A lot of you guys here are not so bright. Check engine light will fail you, it's part of emissions.. When they scan your car "OBD II Scan for emissions" and you have a light on you will fail.. That's what emissions is, not just your muffler hahaha.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:24 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Yes, it's part of emissions. You will fail if the light is on.

They will elimate the SAFETY part of the inspection... Which is your wipers, windshield, headlights and taillighs condition and operation, window operation, tire wear, front suspension play, brake performance, dummy warning lights excluding CEL ect.

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 08-23-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

04WDPSeDaN...

What is your exhaust set-up? PCD? 3rd cat delete? I'm curious as I am due in January and have a 3rd cat delete.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Instructor

Thanks for all the input and yes check engine light is emission and will fail inspection

cheers
Old 08-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
04WDPSEDAN..Which inspection station did you go to?
Old 08-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DuRtYwUrKs
nope...no physical inspection what so ever...all you need to do is pass emissions...it's saving the state a sh#t load of money
I work for the inspection station in NJ. YES WE ARE still checking check engine lights. The light is check using the key on engine off test to make sure it works, then it is checked again with the car running. Also, It is still a NJ state law about not having tint on the two front door windows, or below the AS-1 line on the windshield. I don't even want to get started on the junk thats come in to my place of employment since the Gov. put the new rules in place. Remember, just because we cant fail it on Passenger vehicles anymore doesnt mean a cop can't ticket you for it. I know I don't want to be behind a car that doesnt having working brake lights, or in front of one that has no brakes. Commercial vehicles will still get a full safety check. Don't mean to sound grouchy, but I just want everyone in NJ to be as safe as possible and this new law is crap.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

This is now going to save the state of New Jersey $17 million dollars a year, which can now be used for other areas that need improvement. Also, of the 2 million cars inspected by the state annually, only 6% failed for mechanical issues such as brakes, suspension, steering and tires.

I am totally for this new procedure and hopefully the extra money will be used elsewhere where needed.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Will be fine with a full exhaust, pcd and a hf third cat?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:34 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by Timb227
04WDPSeDaN...

What is your exhaust set-up? PCD? 3rd cat delete? I'm curious as I am due in January and have a 3rd cat delete.
Comptech Catback Exhaust system with stock cats.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:35 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by faceman1
04WDPSEDAN..Which inspection station did you go to?
LODI NJ.

The one in Secaucus is even nicer.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:36 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by AckTL05
Will be fine with a full exhaust, pcd and a hf third cat?
Yes, as long as you don't have a CEL on your alright. they did not check the emissions level coming out of my exhaust system.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:43 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by Dave_W
I work for the inspection station in NJ. YES WE ARE still checking check engine lights. The light is check using the key on engine off test to make sure it works, then it is checked again with the car running. Also, It is still a NJ state law about not having tint on the two front door windows, or below the AS-1 line on the windshield. I don't even want to get started on the junk thats come in to my place of employment since the Gov. put the new rules in place. Remember, just because we cant fail it on Passenger vehicles anymore doesnt mean a cop can't ticket you for it. I know I don't want to be behind a car that doesnt having working brake lights, or in front of one that has no brakes. Commercial vehicles will still get a full safety check. Don't mean to sound grouchy, but I just want everyone in NJ to be as safe as possible and this new law is crap.
And on the flip side I was an automotive technican for a reputable shop which did private repair/inspection as well. I would have to do to safety check list to each vehicle and pay close attention to those that are getting inspected. I knew what to check and what would fail or pass within state specs. Thing is nobody wants to hear "Your tires needs replacing, its XXXX amount" "Your brakes are metal on metal thats going to be pads and rotors to start and its XXXX amount"

Yes the cost to do 4 tires, overhaul brakes, ball joints, tie-rods ect ect typical shit NJ cars in this area go through people didnt have the money. The roads would be safer with the LAW before but I am all for it now since Most that sold you the things needed where bad calls. How many times did DMV send us failed cars for brake failures and all it needed was a rear brake drum adjustment.. Plenty of life on the shoes but they were out of adjustment. Failed wipers and brakes it was crazy, they werent legit failures. Dont get me started on tires... the damn things are at the T-bars the state still passes it unless theres steal showing, but for drums to be slightly out of adjustment is a failure...

I took advantage and got my car inspected for free, and passed just fine.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
And on the flip side I was an automotive technican for a reputable shop which did private repair/inspection as well. I would have to do to safety check list to each vehicle and pay close attention to those that are getting inspected. I knew what to check and what would fail or pass within state specs. Thing is nobody wants to hear "Your tires needs replacing, its XXXX amount" "Your brakes are metal on metal thats going to be pads and rotors to start and its XXXX amount"

Yes the cost to do 4 tires, overhaul brakes, ball joints, tie-rods ect ect typical shit NJ cars in this area go through people didnt have the money. The roads would be safer with the LAW before but I am all for it now since Most that sold you the things needed where bad calls. How many times did DMV send us failed cars for brake failures and all it needed was a rear brake drum adjustment.. Plenty of life on the shoes but they were out of adjustment. Failed wipers and brakes it was crazy, they werent legit failures. Dont get me started on tires... the damn things are at the T-bars the state still passes it unless theres steal showing, but for drums to be slightly out of adjustment is a failure...

I took advantage and got my car inspected for free, and passed just fine.
I did like the idea of the PIFs in NJ being able to pull the wheels under the old system and actually check the brakes thickness in edition to adjustment. If the tires were at the wear bars prior to AUG 1rst, I failed them. 48 hour fail if cords were showing. What makes me sick isnt the limo tint on cars. I could care less about that, but the customer yesterday whos drivers door wouldn't even close, but he passed because his vehicle passed emissions. We've seen cars at my station with busted windshields, not cracked, busted windshields and have to pass them. Thats dangerous. The other bad thing is, that every time you renew your registration in NJ part of that fee is for a safety inspection at a CIF - Inspection station like the one I work at, but now we cant do safety inspections any more. So what happens if the CIF's close down and Jersey residents have to end up going to a PIF and pay to get inspected. Where is that money from the registration going. I guess thats a question for our wonderful Governor.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:47 AM
Drifting

dave check ur pm
Old 08-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
so i am now interested in tinting my car (including the 2 front windows) because of this tread....who all has had issues with cops and your tinted windows?? would you recommend getting tints or not because of the treat of cops giving your trouble? i have heard that a cop could make you take the tint off the windows on the spot on the side of the road before you can leave and also give you a ticket...is that true or bs??

who all has had tickets regarding your tints in NJ??

Last edited by JORTS; 08-28-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: add question
Old 08-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Former Sponsor

I had about 2 tickets from cops that don't care about my FOP,PBA and such but I get off as warnings all the other times which I can say about 6-8. I do get pulled over A LOT for them.

I don't get it because cops hate tints because they "feel unsafe" when walking up to the car, but they LOVE to pull people over for tints.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:55 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Just because you pass inspection with tints doesn't mean the cop's are going to let you slide. You will still get a ticket for having your front windows/Windshield tinted.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
around my area they busted my chops hard w/my old CL with 50% all around. Not even going to bother with the TL
Old 09-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
didn't even know about this new law... i guess it is a double edged sword... for most of us on this board who are car enthusiasts and keep up with our car's maintenance, then safety really isn't an issue as our biggest problem is wanting to have tints on the front doors...

but i can understand from the perspective of truly unsafe cars that are out on the road which shouldn't be...
Old 09-08-2010, 02:35 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
While driving in Toms River a few weeks ago there was a mobile inspection set up on Fischer Blvd.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:40 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
While driving in Toms River a few weeks ago there was a mobile inspection set up on Fischer Blvd.
They have them in almost every town in NJ. They do local check points, if your due for inspection they will inspect your vehicle right there and then, if your over due you will get a ticket for failure to inspect which is 150-200 range and again, will inspect right on the spot.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Former Sponsor

I have never seen one.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Stupi question but is there a petition out there that people can sign to take the tint law away?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:14 PM
moabizzi

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by CesarRod
Stupi question but is there a petition out there that people can sign to take the tint law away?
i dont think so, the reason the law came to be, from what i hear, was when a cop pulled over a car for a messed up brake light, the drug dealer in the driver seat obviously was shook but his boy with a sawed off shotty was laying in the backseat and you can imagine the rest. the cop didnt see him while walking up to the car because the car was tinted out like crazy.

so i dont think that we'll ever get a petition going that can jeopardize the safety of cops.

there is only one way i know of to get out of tickets for tints. MEDICAL EXCUSE!!

i attached the file that you need filled out by a doctor. My cousin in Maryland has this note from his optometrist that says he suffers from photophobia, he says hes been pulled over and asked about the tints, but showed the note and he wasnt ticketed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MR-15.pdf (46.9 KB, 167 views)
Old 11-28-2014, 10:40 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave_W
i plan on getting the jpipe from xlr8, but has a 3rd cat delete, will i pass?
Old 11-29-2014, 10:26 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by CJBernUA8
i plan on getting the jpipe from xlr8, but has a 3rd cat delete, will i pass?
Good job on reviving an ancient post.

Will your proposed setup pass testing? I strongly doubt it.
The following users liked this post:
CJBernUA8 (01-05-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 01:46 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by AckTL05
I don't get it because cops hate tints because they "feel unsafe" when walking up to the car, but they LOVE to pull people over for tints.
Exactly, it's just a flimsy excuse. What safety? They know most people are tinting for aesthetics, a little bit of privacy or heat/UV protection for the interior. Naysayers say these are not legitimate reasons for tint but I strongly disagree.

That being said there are limits from a safety standpoint. 5% tint is just not safe at night, especially on a rainy one. You can't see properly around the car. So I get that. It would be nice if they could at least LAX the law to 35%. I don't see how that is not reasonable. If not, how about at LEAST 50%? How does that present a "safety issue"? But they say nope, NO TINT. Give me a break.

If I REALLY was a criminal, I wouldn't be in a regular 4 door sedan with 35% tint. Or a flashy car that attracts attention. That makes no sense. I would be in a low key SUV (where tinted windows are not a problem) or a panel van. Oh SURE! You can see into those cars REAL well can't you? Makes no sense. Shoots down their entire argument of "safety".

When I get pulled over at night they use those heavy duty spot lights. Trust me, that thing is like an X-ray, lol. They can see through my car just fine with 30% tint. I turn on my interior lights too, they appreciate this and they will let you slide about tint if you are nice. They don't even mention it.

But actually my car is registered out of state where the limit IS 35% (thank you!). This is my loophole. Because it's not about safety, it's about money for them. Zero tickets ever.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 03-26-2015 at 01:49 PM.