NY/NJ New Jersey & New York

Moving to Manhattan

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to Manhattan

I've had my 07 TL-S for about 14 months and my work decided to relocate me to new york.

I still have about 3 years on my loan and already invested 10k towards in (down payment/ monthly payments). I still owe about 20k on the loan and my car is probably worth about 23k.

My options are to sell it or bring it to NYC. It took me a while to find a WDP 6MT TL-S so I want to keep it but I don't know if I will really use a car in NYC. Never moved there before and I don't even know if I can park it there.

Any advice on how expensive it is to get a parking space? Are there street parking? I'm thinking aboug living in like midtown or greenwich, lower east side, and something around there.

Please help me out NYers!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:15 PM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
monthly garage parking is going to be expensive. most likely almost equivalent to your car payment. also depending on how often you WANT to leave the city, everything you NEED is right there in the city. so there is no need to leave. my older brother lived in NYC for 6 years and whenever he needed a car, he just used Zip Car. now he relocated to Ann Arbor, MI, and still just uses Zip Car. you definitely do not need a car in the city.

i also wouldnt recommend street parking if you like your car a lot.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
I have several friends in NYC (Manhattan), all whom have lived there for several years without a car. It's going to cost you a small fortune to park and insure a car in the heart of NYC. There really isn't much you can't access on foot/rail/taxi/bike to necessitate needing a car.

Now, whether you keep the car or not is really a question of how long you are going to be there...
Old 01-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Instructor

I'll be there for a minimum of two years
Old 01-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by tonyatkayak
I'll be there for a minimum of two years
Any reason to leave the city frequently? What will you be doing?
Old 01-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Well. the office is in norwalk, ct so I'll have to go there. however we have a shuttle that takes us everday. I don't need the car at all. I just don't really want to sell my baby.

If it really doesn't make sense to have a car in NYC, then i'll take the loss and put it up for sale.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Well. the office is in norwalk, ct so I'll have to go there. however we have a shuttle that takes us everday. I don't need the car at all. I just don't really want to sell my baby.

If it really doesn't make sense to have a car in NYC, then i'll take the loss and put it up for sale.
It reallllllly doesn't make sense to have a car in NYC, brother. Ask around on the regional forums (NY). Of all my friends in NYC, 0 have their own car.

What isn't making sense to me is why you're living in the most expensive city in the US when your office is in Norwalk, CT.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DeathMetal
It reallllllly doesn't make sense to have a car in NYC, brother. Ask around on the regional forums (NY). Of all my friends in NYC, 0 have their own car.

What isn't making sense to me is why you're living in the most expensive city in the US when your office is in Norwalk, CT.

Have you been to Norwalk, CT? I figured if I was going to move across the coast from california, might as well live in NYC. Gotta try it out once in my life time. I love california!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Have you been to Norwalk, CT? I figured if I was going to move across the coast from california, might as well live in NYC. Gotta try it out once in my life time. I love california!
Saw that coming, haha! If you're one for the city, NYC will rock your socks off. I'm a subrbanite, but there really is a whole different energy and crazy subculture to NYC. I'm too much the fuddy-duddy to live there.

Coming from Cali, the COL won't be much different in this area. Either way, back to the OP, keep the TL...out of the city.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts
parking will more than your car payment... and include insurance, and its just not worth it...
Parking outside would be like if you didnt want her... Mostly the cars parked outside in that area are beaters.. might be BMW,MB, but just beaters to the people who own them... bumpers are done, too many door dings to count...

Keep the TL in Cali and store it until you return, or when you move out of NYC. who knows.. you might move to ct lol
Old 01-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
why not just drop your insurance and store the car somewhere for 2 years? store it at a storage place or a friends garage somewhere. just make sure to take the required prerequisite steps for long term storage or ask whoever is storing your car to give it a whirl around the block every now and then.

from experience i can tell you that living/driving through nyc as a car person is a nightmare inducing suicidal situation. Unless you have piles on money falling out of your asshole you wont be able to keep your car there comfortably. If you dont care about street parking and shit and wouldnt mind risking a few dings maybe you could get away with it but i would probably avoid it. like i said, keep your car, drop the insurance for the time being, buy a storage space and leave your car in there. visit it from time to time and hug it
Old 01-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
If you don't have a parking spot in NYC, it will be a pain in the @ss. Most streets in NYC require alternate side parking - basically you will have to move your car almost every day for the sanitation department to clean the streets.

If you plan to buy a house or get an apartment with a parking spot, then sure keep the car! Parking in a lot in the city will cost anywhere around $250-$500 a month.

I'm not trying to scare you or anything, but there are a lot of car thefts in NYC, so this is another thing you have to worry about when you have a car.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:58 PM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Funny how all the people saying "you don't need a car when you live in NYC" have a car and they live here.

But seriously, it's not worth having a car if you're going to live in the city (Manhattan). Things are just too dam expensive and it will cost you a fortune to have parking, insurance, etc, as everyone else said....

Now, if you lived somewhere that's not the city, it's a different story. Still a little expensive, but much more inexpensive then living in Manhattan. Example: Flushing, Queens; Ridgewood, Queens; Brooklyn, etc. There are many more places but those are the places that I am most familiar with.

Best bet, leave the car over there and call it everyday to tell it how much you miss it.

EDIT: Just saw faydOiInspire post and that's definitely a huge factor also. If the apartment/house in which you plan to move into has a garage or driveway, then there should be no problem keeping the car!
Hope that helps a little with your decision.

Last edited by renedcruz; 01-09-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

^ you know people call everything NYC but yea the op specifically said midtown/greenwich... Your looking at a minimum $450 parking a month..
i live in the bronx not the best part but not the worst and I pay $185 for parking. my boy lives in manhattan in the 80's west side pays $540...
Old 01-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

I work in midtown(and some of downtown manhattan) and am required by my job to park my van in parking garages while i go to customer sites to fix their equipment and trust me when i say you not finding a monthly parking garage for less than $450 in the city ( midtown and lower). i've parked everywhere from central park south... shit theres a parking place on 41th,outside parking POS at that, and they charge $60 for just 2 hours...
what area midtown you looking at and i can give you estimates while at work..
Old 01-09-2011, 11:24 PM
'That's what she said!'

Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
^ you know people call everything NYC but yea the op specifically said midtown/greenwich... Your looking at a minimum $450 parking a month..
i live in the bronx not the best part but not the worst and I pay $185 for parking. my boy lives in manhattan in the 80's west side pays $540...
Yea I know, I was just messing around LOL.

And that's a huge difference in price between you and your friend. That's a perfect example of what I was trying to describe in my first post. How someone can live outside of Manhattan and pay so much cheaper than someone that lives in Manhattan for the same things (parking, insurance, etc.).

To the OP, if you have the money to live in Manhattan, then power to ya. But you've been warned about how expensive it can be, car or not. Good luck though with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by renedcruz; 01-09-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:28 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
you dont need to have a car in NYC.

specifically MANHATTAN.

man if i lived in manhattan I would not own a car. It is a pita to get around.

I live in brooklyn and only go through the city at night.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I grew up in Manhattan and didn't leave until I was 32 years old. During my last 3 years there I had an Acura Integra. You need to garage it else it will be gone the next day.

In addition to the monthly fee, don't forget to add the tips that you need to throw the attendants every once in a while else you'll get a ton of door things and forget about your color coded bumper. It'll be pock marked in no time. Even then, tipping only reduces the negligent damages but never eliminate them.

My Integra was white and I would constantly have to touch up the bumper. Oh yeah, don't even leave anything in your car. The attendants that you tip will actually steal from you, e.g., any change in your car will be gone.

If you want wheels, just call a taxi or use Zip car mentioned above.

Last edited by Kingmeow; 01-10-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:17 AM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I use to live in the city and have a car.
I needed the car because my office moved to LI.
I couldn't afford to pay the monthly parking; back then, in my neighborhood, it was around $500-$600/month.
Parking is defintely a hassle, sometimes it would take hours to find parking.
It's more a matter of convenience; if you have to go out of the city etc..., but today, as previously stated, with ZipCar it's not cost-effective to own a car if you live in the city.
Maybe you should consider living in CT and travel to the city when you want, the insurance is probably cheapr too.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My advice is to get a place outside of NYC (Manhattan). It is nice for the first month or two then the reality of outrageous prices kicks in. EVERYTHING in Manhattan is overpriced (except Chinese food.. Wo Hop.. FTW) You can get a place outside the city for half the price/twice the size/with parking, so you can keep your ride safe, and if you want to go into the city, you just catch a train/bus/cab. I have lived in all boroughs except SI and I would never live in Manhattan again even if I had money to burn. The novelty of NYC wears off quick when reality sets in.

**FYI...When New Yorkers say "the city" it is referring to Manhattan.

Last edited by Spoilaz; 01-13-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:06 PM
'That's what she said!'

Originally Posted by Spoilaz
My advice is to get a place outside of NYC (Manhattan). It is nice for the first month or two then the reality of outrageous prices kicks in. EVERYTHING in Manhattan is overpriced (except Chinese food.. Wo Hop.. FTW) You can get a place outside the city for half the price/twice the size/with parking, so you can keep your ride safe, and if you want to go into the city, you just catch a train/bus/cab. I have lived in all boroughs except SI and I would never live in Manhattan again even if I had money to burn. The novelty of NYC wears off quick when reality sets in.

**FYI...When New Yorkers say "the city" it is referring to Manhattan.
Yes you are correct. But no one in this thread said "the city", everyone was saying "NYC". And when you refer to NYC, that means the 5 boroughs. If I'm not mistaken, most people were saying "you don't need a car to live in NYC", instead of "the city". That's why I made the joke about everyone who was saying "you don't need a car in NYC", own a car and live in NYC. LOL

I'm not saying your post was directed to me, but I just wanted to clear that up.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

sound like a guilty conscience lmao
Old 01-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Weehawken or Hoboken,NJ

Way fun..more car friendly...1 mile out of midtown.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
Look in the outer Boros.half the price on rent and parking, and I would look in private house that parking is included.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:14 PM
'That's what she said!'

Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
sound like a guilty conscience lmao
Old 01-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ SHAWD
Weehawken or Hoboken,NJ

Way fun..more car friendly...1 mile out of midtown.
There's a toll booth in the way
Old 01-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rejckt
There's a toll booth in the way
Cheaper than monthly garage fees in Manhattan, even cheaper with EZ-Pass.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:07 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I like going to jersey on the weekends and all, but the traffic during rush hour (mon-fri) is ridiculous.

I drive in manhattan quite often
1) you will not have parking anywhere from like 8am till 7pm
2) if you manage to find an all day spot, you will be reluctant to use your car until you have to move it
3) parking in most areas for meters is 50cents for 12 minutes.
4) people cant park for shit, they will hit your car, look at you and walk away.

Another option if you want to be close to the city is the williamsburg area of brooklyn. It's literally across the bridge into the lower east side and parking will be a bit easier.
There is also park slope, but the parking situation there is a lot worse, both of these areas are upcoming and the rent isn't too bad.

Expect about a 1 hour commute into the city if you live any further away, it's about 45 mins for me to get to manhattan in the morning from bensonhurst brooklyn.