Northwest Alaska, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota & Washington State

Chains for MDX and TSX

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chains for MDX and TSX

We're now a 2 Acura family! I drive an '04 TSX stick shift. My wife just got an '07 MDX With the Tech Package.

Two Oregon winters ago, I bought a pair of the SCC Super Z6 cable chains for the TSX. It handled great without the chains until the snow got heavy. Then I put on the chains, which installed easily. The car handled well until one of the chains had a cross-member pop at one end. It took out that wheel's rotation sensor, which killed the entire car's ABS and VSC systems. I returned the chains to Joe's, where I had bought them, for a full refund. Maybe that's why they went out of business!

Same winter, we bought a set of chains from Les Schwab (their brand) for the Toyota SUV my wife drove. They worked great. Don't recall if they conformed to Class-"S" standards, but I thought the link pattern was stronger than the cables I had for the TSX and the diamond pattern provided more traction than a Z-pattern could. The fact that they didn't break didn't spoil my opinion of these chains either!

I saw that the Acura-recommended chains are made by a local company in the PDX area- Security Chain Company in Clackamas. Their Whitestar models are Class-"S" rated, and have the same diamond pattern link design that the Les Schwab chains.

Has anyone used the Whitestars on an Acura? They are Class-"S" rated, but require the most clearance of any of SCC's Class-"S" products. Amazon has them for ~$90 (for the TSX) and ~$110 (for the MDX)

We're not going to go the snow tire route, as we're looking for something to use only for the once-a-year-or-so Portland snow/ice episode that is inevitable during this upcoming La Nina winter!

Thanks to any and all advice-givers!
Old 11-28-2010, 12:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride. I'm not sure what you mean by diamond pattern, but the SCC chains we bought for the RDX are cables with a triangle shape. The company may be in Oregon, but the chains are made in China. You can buy them almost anywhere including America’s Tire. They are S rated and, except for some rust, have held up well.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, MM.

These are what I used 2 years ago on the TSX and they broke: http://scc-chain.com/Traction%20Pages/Trac_SZ6.html I am guessing that this is what you use?

I was asking if anyone has any experience with these oneither model: http://scc-chain.com/Traction%20Pages/Trac_WS.html