New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019 | 09:31 PM
2nd Gear

Synthetic Oil

We were told we would only have to change the oil 3 times in 3 years, once a year. I am at 9,000 miles and have the car 7 months and the light is on to change oil again. Anyone have information on this. Everything I am reading there should be no way I need an Oil change
Old 10-24-2019 | 09:46 PM
2nd Gear

Also my RDX uses Synthetic oil.
Old 10-24-2019 | 09:49 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by jjcollins
We were told we would only have to change the oil 3 times in 3 years, once a year. I am at 9,000 miles and have the car 7 months and the light is on to change oil again. Anyone have information on this. Everything I am reading there should be no way I need an Oil change
Oil should be changed once per year or when certain usage criteria have been met, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST. Given your service light is on, it is time to change the oil.
Old 10-27-2019 | 07:02 PM
3rd Gear

Smile

I was under the impression that synthetic oil is supposed to be replaced every 5k to 6k miles. i never heard of it being changed once a year. you better double check those facts. i usually change out the synthetic oil on my other cars when the lights indicate its time.

Vic
Old 10-27-2019 | 07:44 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by vic677
I was under the impression that synthetic oil is supposed to be replaced every 5k to 6k miles. i never heard of it being changed once a year. you better double check those facts. i usually change out the synthetic oil on my other cars when the lights indicate its time.

Vic
I think maybe you should double check your facts; these days some car makers are saying change once per TWO years or 15,000 miles, whichever comes first. Don't take my word for it; drain your oil after, say, 7,500 miles (which is the Honda recommendation for cars prior to them using OLM technology), and then send it out for Used Oil Analysis; the results will come back showing the oil isn't even half used up.

Last edited by horseshoez; 10-27-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2019 | 12:23 AM
Instructor

Mobil 1 filter and oil stat they can last up to 15k miles, but yeah with full synthetic it does last longer than conventional oil. I'd recommend 7k miles or so, or once a year. All depends on your driving, light could come on sooner if your constantly in higher RPMs all the time. But if you don't drive your car often like old people and don't put any miles on the car oil goes bad and needs to be changed, hence once a year. That's what some companies recommend.