New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

Sell Me On Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 10:29 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sell Me On Acura TL

Hello all. Im in desperate need of a new car. Currently drive 2016 Equinox AWD but my lease is coming up in a week. I used to be the owner of a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited and actually liked the car very much considering it was great gas mileage and had all the features in the world. Leather, heated seats, nav, premium audio, remote start, ect. I have been looking recently because I do A LOT of highway diving for work at getting into a nice sedan. I am 6'3" btw so I liked that the Equinox and Sonata were both bigger on the interior. I am looking at 2 Acura TLs because I think they are a nice luxury upgrade from the Sonata.

First one is 2010 TL SH-AWD--BLACK with 42k miles on it. They are asking $17,000. It also has the chrome grill and chrome rear bumper.
Second one is 2013 TL w/ Tech Package---GRAY with 30k miles on it. They are asking $16,900.

Knowing that, how is the Acura TL in terms of reliability and gas mileage? I honestly like the 2010 styling better because its black with chrome and I dont like the boring front end that they changes with the 2012-2014 models. It just doesnt stand out. On the other hand the chrome 'beak' of the 2010 might be a little too much but I was reading on here that there are many ways to paint it to make it not so obnoxious. Even though the 2010 looks fantastic (quad exhaust too) and has low miles in my price range--I am a little hesitant on the age of the vehicle with it being nearly 7 years old. How is the resale value in 3 years if I run it up to 80k miles? Will I run into mechanical problems all the time just because its age eventhough it had only 42k miles on it? Also, is 17k a good price or is that an overpay?

I just have so many questions, the 2010 or 2013 TL is much more of a performance sedan and Im used to driving fuel efficient 4 bangers w/ features. Would you recommend it for a every day driver who does a lot of highway driving and from your knowledge will it still have good value if I sell it in a few years under 100k miles? Im just nervous at that point a 10 year old car with 80-100k miles will fetch me next to nothing and I would be better off getting a 2015-2016 Hyundai Sonata again just because of the future resale and age?

What option would you go with?
Old 04-03-2017, 10:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by bmann626
Hello all. Im in desperate need of a new car. Currently drive 2016 Equinox AWD but my lease is coming up in a week. I used to be the owner of a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited and actually liked the car very much considering it was great gas mileage and had all the features in the world. Leather, heated seats, nav, premium audio, remote start, ect. I have been looking recently because I do A LOT of highway diving for work at getting into a nice sedan. I am 6'3" btw so I liked that the Equinox and Sonata were both bigger on the interior. I am looking at 2 Acura TLs because I think they are a nice luxury upgrade from the Sonata.

First one is 2010 TL SH-AWD--BLACK with 42k miles on it. They are asking $17,000. It also has the chrome grill and chrome rear bumper.
Second one is 2013 TL w/ Tech Package---GRAY with 30k miles on it. They are asking $16,900.

Knowing that, how is the Acura TL in terms of reliability and gas mileage? I honestly like the 2010 styling better because its black with chrome and I dont like the boring front end that they changes with the 2012-2014 models. It just doesnt stand out. On the other hand the chrome 'beak' of the 2010 might be a little too much but I was reading on here that there are many ways to paint it to make it not so obnoxious. Even though the 2010 looks fantastic (quad exhaust too) and has low miles in my price range--I am a little hesitant on the age of the vehicle with it being nearly 7 years old. How is the resale value in 3 years if I run it up to 80k miles? Will I run into mechanical problems all the time just because its age eventhough it had only 42k miles on it? Also, is 17k a good price or is that an overpay?

I just have so many questions, the 2010 or 2013 TL is much more of a performance sedan and Im used to driving fuel efficient 4 bangers w/ features. Would you recommend it for a every day driver who does a lot of highway driving and from your knowledge will it still have good value if I sell it in a few years under 100k miles? Im just nervous at that point a 10 year old car with 80-100k miles will fetch me next to nothing and I would be better off getting a 2015-2016 Hyundai Sonata again just because of the future resale and age?

What option would you go with?
I personally would go with a Sonata. They are great cars and very comfortable and smooth and the 2016 models are a different animal than the 2011 ones. I drove one for a few days and it was really nice. The TL will not be worth as much in a few years, and it is getting old so the tech is ancient in comparison to some other cars IMHO.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:56 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by RDX10
I personally would go with a Sonata. They are great cars and very comfortable and smooth and the 2016 models are a different animal than the 2011 ones. I drove one for a few days and it was really nice. The TL will not be worth as much in a few years, and it is getting old so the tech is ancient in comparison to some other cars IMHO.
That is what I was thinking too. I know the Sonata isnt nearly as flashy or have the quality of the interior of the Acura--but they are the same price. 16-17k but the Acura is a 2010 and the Sonata is a 2015. It kinda scares me though that a 7 year old Acura is still worth as much as a 1 year old Sonata. I mean you can get the base model 2016 Sonata for as low as 14k right now. Thats insane. The sport version which comes with a chrome accents, different wheels and the same carbon fiber interior trim the Acura TL has for 16k.

I really like the Acura but I think I like it because of how nice it is. You know....being a Acura vs. Hyundai haha. I think the Sonata will be the better daily driver for what Im looking for--but I just like how the 2010 Acura TL looks much better with all the tech features in it and its better looks.

Here is the one Im looking at.

Cars for Sale: Used 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD for sale in Peoria, IL 61614: Sedan Details - 443785912 - Autotrader
Old 04-03-2017, 11:01 PM
4th Gear

The other car I was thinking about was the 2015 Malibu. So it comes down to

2010 Acura TL AWD tech package for 17k--42k miles
2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport for 16.5k--22k miles
2015 Chevy Malibu LT for 16k---30k miles
Old 04-04-2017, 05:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bmann626
The other car I was thinking about was the 2015 Malibu. So it comes down to

2010 Acura TL AWD tech package for 17k--42k miles
2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport for 16.5k--22k miles
2015 Chevy Malibu LT for 16k---30k miles
You have to keep in mind that the TL was worth WAY more than the Sonata when it was new so it is going to take longer to depreciate to the same level. The TL is more luxurious than the sonata, but the sonata is not a bad car at all. It has a very handsome and clean design, the interior is also of pretty good quality IMHO. The Sonata will also have much lower mileage and you are more likely to get a cleaner better cared for car.

I love AWD, so it would be hard to sell me on the Sonata, to be honest but at the same time, the tech is so ancient in the TL and it is much thirstier than the sonata with being so much larger and heavier with a V6 engine vs a 4 chlinder engine. You need to think about will you still like the car in a couple years. I just sold my 2007 MDX and bought a 2012 Kia Sorento SX, the difference in the user interface and technology alone was worth the change for me. Yeah the MDX was WAY more luxurious than the Sorento and yes it had SH-AWD vs my normal AWD in the Sorento (lol this is so comparable to your choice between an Acura and Korean). But when it came down to it, I felt like I moved from 2001 to 2015 in terms of the navigation setup, bluetooth setup, and other features. Older Acura's are nice vehicles, but honestly at the end of the day I just got over being stuck in the past and I am very happy with the increased fuel economy and performance and user friendliness.

At the end of the day, I think you want the TL but need the Sonata. Go test drive them both for extended drives and see how you feel. I really enjoyed my time with the sonata honestly. Oh and one more thing, go test a Kia Optima, I feel like it takes many things wrong or that could use fixing with the Sonata and fixes them. It also adds a lot of neat little tech and luxury features not available on the Sonata like auto unfolding mirrors..etc.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:47 PM
4th Gear

I think that is right. I just looked at the 2007 TL just to see what they are being sold at 10 years old to know what to expect if I get that 2010 TL and drive it for 3 years and put 50k miles on it. They 2007 TL with like 80k miles is still going for like 10-11k lol wow. If I could get that 2010 TL and trade it in 3 years from now when its 10 years old and still get 6-9k out of it for the down payment on whatever comes after that---I would say thats a win.

But your right, I want the TL but I wish it was a touch bigger on the interior and I wish they had a 225 HP model that got 32mpg on the highway. I think the 300HP v6 would be fun, but would grow old after a while when I have to spend 80 bucks to travel from Columbus to Cleveland as opposed to the 40 it would be in the Sonata, Optima or Malibu.

The only thing about the Optima is I cant mentally get past the Kia badge. I just cant haha. I know they are every bit as reliable and good as the Hyundai but I cant shake their crappy stigma they had 5 years ago. Same with Chrysler and Dodge. I just cant ever see myself wanting to drive a Kia, Chrysler or Dodge (Challenger/Charger dont count). I might have to mentally get over it if I can get one with under 45k miles, black and less than $16k.

Let me take a look.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:04 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
I got my '04 to 179k miles before I 'sold' it

Solid, Japanese car.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:14 PM
Suzuka Master

I can understand your nervousness towards the Kia brand. I love my Sorentoc but even I sometimes catch myself wishing it came from a more respectable brand. However I am very happy with it so I don't care what other people think.

In 2007 Hyundai took a HUGE leap towards good cars, Kia didn't take that leap till 2011. But Kia tends to pack more luxury and features vs Hyundai. The Optima and Sonata are most likely built in the same factory too so you are only looking at the skin...everything under is the exact same. However Kia's tend to drive more sporty vs their Hyundai counter tops and that appeals to me very much. From an aesthetics point of view, they both look good and from a quality point of view they are probably the same too. So test the Optima just so you won't regret it later on, if you don't like it, you can cross it off. But I guarantee if you liked the Sonata you would love the Optima.

My MDX was $85 to fill, and I only got 300-350kms to the tank, my sorento is only 55 to fill and gets me 400-450 kms. So it really adds up to me.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:11 PM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts
I've been keeping track of prices on 2007-2008 TL's in my area, and they seem overpriced ($11k-$12k for examples with 80k miles), esp since I picked up my '07 TL (base) w/60.5k miles on the clock for $10k (before taxes, title, license) about 5 weeks ago. That said, I did have to put about $1.5k towards getting the car where I want it (new battery, pads, rotors, rims, fluids, etc.), but I plan on running this car as my daily for another 8-10 years (I put around 8k miles on per year), I don't expect to recoup much in terms of resale when I'm done with it.

Don't have much to add re: Hyundai and KIA, except that the latter company seems to be killing it in terms of design and is making a big move with the Stinger GT and the folks they have hired to direct that effort. And there is the Genesis marque, too....

My two cents, for whatever they might be worth.