New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

New Member - Old Acura Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 05:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
New Member - Old Acura Owner

I own 3 Acuras. My username may give you a hint as to which models.

2019 RDX SH-AWD Advance
2004 RSX Type S
2003 TL Type S Navi
Love all 3, but have only had the RDX for a few days, so learning curve time on that mission control dashboard & steering wheel.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:53 PM
Intermediate

Forgot to mention

Forgot to mention that all 3 were purchased new, so I have been an Acura fan for over 15 years.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have have purchased three new Acura’s, no major issues on any of them just regular maintenance, however I’m ready to upgrade. Was interested in 2019 rdx, but decided against it reading about some serious issues, (numerous limp mode reports, infotainment staying on after car turns off, apple CarPlay issues, Abrupt gear shifting etc. best of luck in your forth Acura. Please keep us posted a hopefully positive experience.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:11 PM
Intermediate

The only one of the issues you mention that I have experienced is the infotainment staying on. It is supposed to stay on for up to 30 minutes (per owner manual). Shuts off instantly when you open the driver door.

Shifts are more aggressive in Sport & Sport+, but butter smooth in Comfort mode.

What does "limp mode" mean?

I don't have an Apple phone (Blackberry die-hard). The B-Berry makes/receives calls fine through the RDX hands free system. The other music sources are more than enough for me so Car Play not an issue.

2 clinchers for me were test driving it (WOW!) & Acura & Acura Dealer handling of warranty issues. Acura sent me a disk to fix the clock problem in my 03 TL (Google 2003 TL clock 0:00), but the fix disk messed up my Nav unit. Acura then covered having the dealer try to fix it, and then covered sending the Nav unit to Alpine (the mfg) in CA for a full factory reset. Nav & clock are perfect again, cost me nothing - & remember - this is on a 15-year old car & fixing a problem they did not cause.

Still, the 19 RDX Advance is one complicated car, with tons of electronics. My hedge is that I leased the RDX. I am completely confident that Acura will fix whatever issues may come up under warranty, but if there are enough to be a bother I'll just turn it back in when the lease is up. By that time they should have worked out any bugs - & they may well offer a 6 cylinder RDX Type S - YUM!

Meantime, I'm loving this car.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’m very glad that you have not experienced most of the issues I’ve mentioned. “Limp mode” in layman’s terms means your driving, passing whatever and the check engine light goes on, car will not shift above 3rd gear. You have to obviously pull over shut down car, sometimes it will reset itself, sometimes not, however you must take it to the dealer, regardless...the reason for this is to protect transmission from further damage. I have read quite a few posts on this site and others about this happening on this vehicle, so you can understand my hesitation about first year redesign. The other major issue is infotainment screen won’t turn off therefore dead battery, however this does not seem as common. Of course not everyone is having these misfortunes, but enough to make me wait till all the bugs are out. Please keep us posted good or bad.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Intermediate

Call me crazy, but I trust Acura

Both of the issues you mention sound like firmware issues, which can be fixed with OTA system updates. I share your concern & expect a few bugs in a total new design, but I have come to trust Acura over the last 15 years. I am certain that they will fix anything that comes up under warranty.

I have fiddled with settings & tried all switches & everything works on my RDX.. If it works now, they can make it work again if a problem occurs.Should you decide to take the plunge, your mileage may vary, but I am a happy owner. 😊