New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

New Member, 2008 TSX owner for nearly 5 years, story time

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 12:53 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member, 2008 TSX owner for nearly 5 years, story time

Hello everyone! I have been reading forums on here for years now and thought I'd finally join the community!

I purchased my 2008 TSX (AT) in Nighthawk Black Pearl on March 30, 2015 with 142xxx miles (or 143xxx, can't remember which) for $8300 cash.

STORY TIME!
June 8, 2018 was a tragic day. Despite following suggested maintenance every 5000 miles at an Acura dealership, having normal oil and coolant levels/temps at the time of incident.

I was on my way home after stopping at my parents to pick up my kitten after work (roughly 30 minute commute, about 20 miles, part side roads, part highway) when my car began making a very unsettling sound from the engine bay.

Since everything appeared normal, all maintenance was up to date, and oil level was normal, I did my best to baby her on my way home. It was a Friday and I was just hoping to make it home and then take her into the dealership that weekend. While getting on the highway, I called my buddy asking if he was available to help me out just in case anything went wrong.

Shortly after getting on the highway, while still on the phone with my buddy, I was traveling a constant 55mph in heavy rush hour traffic and the noise was now very quickly getting much more rapid, louder, and aggressive, despite no acceleration.

My odometer was at 191223 when I heard a very loud bang mixed accompanied with what sounded to be shrapnel flying around under my hood. RPM's dropped to 0, thick black smoke pouring out from under my hood to the point I could hardly see out the windshield, a massive black cloud out my exhaust that put ANY diesel to shame (I couldnt see any of the traffic behind me in my mirrors), power steering gone, power brakes gone (coming to a stop on the shoulder I had to put nearly my whole body weight into it to press the pedal), and all the warnings on my gauges were lighting up like Vegas.

Getting it over to the shoulder from the middle lane (had to cut across an entrance ramp with plenty of cars getting on) in that condition with that much traffic was...exhilirating. When I finally came to a stop, I had less than 10 feet to spare before I would've plowed into another car that was in the shoulder.

I tell my buddy, still on the phone "$***. My engine just blew harder than a broke girl trying to get into college. I'm gonna need a ride. And possibly a fire extinguisher." Luckily he said he was already on his way from right when I called him, and he always has an extinguisher in his truck (luckily didnt end up needing it).

So there I was, standing on the side of route 8 south, with my kitten (I picked him up from my parents on my way home from work, before any noises had started), in 90°+ temps waiting for my buddy to pick me up. Luckily he got there in unfathomable time of less than 10 mins after the engine blew, despite living 25 mins away. We had been on the phone before the engine blew for less than 5 mins....do the math.

Fast forward to my car at the Acura dealership, the technicians were appalled. They said between all their techs and mechanics in the garage, they have over 150 years of experience in servicing Acuras. They said that not one person working there, not even any other worker in the whole dealership, had ever seen such a catastrophic engine failure in an Acura before, let alone even heard of it. They said there was a hole blown thru my engine block that was big enough to fit a fist through. When that blew out, it also destroyed my starter along with some other things. They said, and I quote "Honestly as tragic as this is, it is utterly impressive, and we are glad we were able to be the one's to see it." In the end, they gave me a small piece of my destroyed engine block, as well as a connecting rod that was broken in half, bent, and twisted. I can't find the pieces right now, but I'll search harder for them and post pictures if I come across them.

My parents decided our best option as the time was to repair the car. Costs were over $5000. Took 17 days to repair. They put in a used K24A2 that I believe had around 108xxx miles on it. The biggest upside to this incident happening was I got a brand new TLX A-Spec as a loaner car from the dealership during the repair period. HUGE SHOUTOUT AND THANK YOU TO (at the time) PARK ACURA, (who is now) SERRA ACURA FOR ALWAYS BEING SO HELPFUL AND QUICK WITH SERVICE, ESPECIALLY ON THIS OCCASION!!!

***End of story. Sorry for being so long. Thought some of you may get a kick out of that.***

On January 6, 2019 the ODO hit 200000!!! (Got it on video too)

Currently as of February 1, 2020 she's sitting at 222xxx (I missed the all 2's)

Hopefully I can get to see 300 as well as all 3's??

Taken on July 6, 2019 after installing new headlights and repainting my grille.

Taken on September 14, 2019 in Cleveland, Ohio. The most recent, good quality picture I have of her all done up. Too bad I forgot to shine my tires