New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

New Member, 2008 Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 04:50 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member, 2008 Acura TL

Hey guys,
I just bought an 08 TL from a buddy who is moving and doesn't want to take it with him. It has 150k miles. In pretty good condition minus a few cosmetic things. I already reconditioned the left headlight, ordered a from silver trim piece on the bumper that is missing, and ordered the overhead console plastic carrier for the lights and sunroof button. Did I mention it was SUPER dirty? Took me an entire day to clean it inside and out. Other than that, I have yet to find something that doesn't work. I'm pretty sure it is the "TL Navigation" model as it has the built in touchscreen GPS.

I just have a few questions to get this forum journey in the road...
First, exactly how important is it to use premium fuel? I want to treat the car right but would like to save on fuel if possible.
Next, the dreaded oil question... Who is sticking with conventional oil and who is using synthetic, why or why not?
Last, where can I find a leather cover replacement for the driver's seat that's not a few hundred bucks? The back part is torn and I don't want it to get worse and have the foam start deteriorating and falling apart.

Cheers!
-Brian
Old 02-18-2019, 06:18 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
A few comments:
  • The Premium vs. Regular debate has been raging for decades now in the J-Series engines. I use typically Premium when doing my day-to-day commute, but when I'm on a long road trip with very low demands on power, I typically use Regular; so far I haven't noticed any difference in fuel economy.
  • J-Series engines (other than the 3.7) are typically very robust and will outlast the rest of the car if you change the oil regularly (no more than 7,500 miles for conventional and anywhere from 10,000 to 12,000 miles with synthetic). I use Castrol Edge 0W-20 and change it every 10,000 miles or so.
  • Regarding the seat skins, if the rest of the car is in good shape, why cheap out on the leather? I typically recommend new skins, and when the time comes to replace mine I'll be buying from one of the following outfits: