New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

My First Post

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 01:24 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My First Post

Hey guys,

I am the proud owner of a 2006 Silver Acura TL with automatic transmission and navigation. I will post pics as soon as I get off work today!

She has 125,000 miles and other than some suspension issues that I will soon fix, she runs very well.

Recently replaced the timing belt as well as all the fixings along the way,and next project is all 4 strut assemblies.

Happy to be a part of this community. I have been a reader for a while, and though i was not a member, this forum has helped me lots!

Thanks for listening. More content to come soon.

Nick G.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Sup Nick!?

Houston checkin in!!!
Silver acura Tl club checking in!!!
The following users liked this post:
garzans (04-22-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 01:33 PM
6th Gear

Ayyyye!
I see you Houston! That's my home town!
Good to see someone close to home!
justnspace (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 07:03 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
already mayne, it's goin dinnnn in h-tinnnnnnnnne
garzans (04-22-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 08:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by garzans
Hey guys,

I am the proud owner of a 2006 Silver Acura TL with automatic transmission and navigation. I will post pics as soon as I get off work today!

She has 125,000 miles and other than some suspension issues that I will soon fix, she runs very well.

Recently replaced the timing belt as well as all the fixings along the way,and next project is all 4 strut assemblies.

Happy to be a part of this community. I have been a reader for a while, and though i was not a member, this forum has helped me lots!

Thanks for listening. More content to come soon.

Nick G.
Hey Nick, Welcome. Just curious about the suspension issues you mentioned. What symptoms are you experiencing. that would require replacing all four struts at 125K. Are they leaking, weak, harsh ride, etc.? The reason I ask is, normally, Honda struts are modestly robust, and "generally" don't fail, at that mileage. Of course, many factors can contribute to the early demise of suspension components, road quality for one.
garzans (04-22-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:02 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by frankjnjr
Hey Nick, Welcome. Just curious about the suspension issues you mentioned. What symptoms are you experiencing. that would require replacing all four struts at 125K. Are they leaking, weak, harsh ride, etc.? The reason I ask is, normally, Honda struts are modestly robust, and "generally" don't fail, at that mileage. Of course, many factors can contribute to the early demise of suspension components, road quality for one.
I was going to ask the same question and make the same comment; based upon the shocks and struts on my Accord, I don't see any reason why the shocks and struts on my TL won't easily last beyond the 200,000 mile threshold.
garzans (04-22-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:38 AM
6th Gear

Thanks for all the replies!

Well now I am having second thoughts.....

I know that the two rims are slightly dented on the passenger side from a pothole i hit on a construction site. That I am also fixing at the same time. I feel though that my ride quality had just degraded. I hear alot more road noise than i used to, and i feel every little imperfection in the road. Maybe it is just the rims. I plan on replacing them all at once, and getting them aligned immediately after.

There is not strut leak. So maybe it could be another issue. I just assumed it was time to start changing it all.

Please let me know if you guys have any ideas.

---- You Know Whats Goin' Down in the South! ------
Old 04-17-2018, 10:44 AM
Latent car nut

Road noise may simply be tires; my take is the Gen7 Accord/Gen3 TL platform isn't exactly easy on tires (especially rear tires). The rear tires currently on my TL are so noisy I can barely have a conversation in the car; I'm picking up a new (to me) set of wheels this weekend and will have my new tires mounted next week. I cannot wait.
garzans (04-22-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 10:10 AM
6th Gear

Yea the noise is just getting ridiculous, which is why i am just going ahead and changing it all. My father has the type s and he recommends a goodyear tire, and said the continentals are garbage. What would yall recommend? Tire wise that is
Old 04-18-2018, 11:38 AM
Latent car nut

Yea the noise is just getting ridiculous, which is why i am just going ahead and changing it all. My father has the type s and he recommends a goodyear tire, and said the continentals are garbage. What would yall recommend? Tire wise that is
Funny, I would say, as a general rule, Goodyear is garbage and Continental is recommended. That said, both Goodyear and Continental make tires which are crap and tires which are pretty good. For my TL I opted for a Pirelli tire the same as what I put on our former GTI. Why? The GTI had a tendency to cause the tires to get noisy and the Pirelli P7 Cinturato tires proved to be able to stay quiet for well in excess of 30,000 miles, and so that's what will be going on my car in the next week or so.
garzans (04-22-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 02:14 PM
6th Gear

i might have to look into the Pirelli's. They seem to be quite affordable. Since we have this little thread groovin', would anyone have any recommendations on a company that makes reliable after market parts for the Acuras. We are looking to buy some parts as preemptive measures to future problems, and am looking to buy a starter and an AC compressor. From acureoemparts.com, they are a bit pricey. I know you can trust manufacturer parts, but was wondering if there is a specific company yall trust as well
Old 04-18-2018, 02:43 PM
Latent car nut

Hmmm, most folks suggest either one of the online Acura dealers or RockAuto. The funny thing about doing preemptive maintenance on things like fuel pumps, starters, A/C compressors, alternators, and such, is you just never know how long the OEM part is going to last and how long the replacement part is going to last. I've seen the original parts go hundreds of thousands of miles and replacement parts fail in a few hundred. Long story short, I'd rather wait for the part to fail versus replacing it early.

Proviso to the above, I recently had my clutch replaced, and given how much easier it is to replace things like motor and transmission mounts when the subframe is lowered, I figured I'd just have those done even if they weren't necessary yet.
garzans (04-22-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 11:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
Hmmm, most folks suggest either one of the online Acura dealers or RockAuto. The funny thing about doing preemptive maintenance on things like fuel pumps, starters, A/C compressors, alternators, and such, is you just never know how long the OEM part is going to last and how long the replacement part is going to last. I've seen the original parts go hundreds of thousands of miles and replacement parts fail in a few hundred. Long story short, I'd rather wait for the part to fail versus replacing it early.

Proviso to the above, I recently had my clutch replaced, and given how much easier it is to replace things like motor and transmission mounts when the subframe is lowered, I figured I'd just have those done even if they weren't necessary yet.
Great advice here horseshoez. My 2003 TLS has 238K, and most system components, are original to the car. All mechanical engine support, A/C, fuel, cooling, electrical, steering etc. Some component parts, have required replacement, due to failing, or pending failure : eng. mounts, evap canister control valve, struts. Horseshoez's Provisio, to only perform preemptive maintenance, "ie" engine oil pump seal, rear main seal, engine mounts for example, at those times when it's more convenient, and less costly, to do it now rather than later, makes good sense.
garzans (04-22-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 06:43 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by frankjnjr
Great advice here horseshoez. My 2003 TLS has 238K, and most system components, are original to the car. All mechanical engine support, A/C, fuel, cooling, electrical, steering etc. Some component parts, have required replacement, due to failing, or pending failure : eng. mounts, evap canister control valve, struts. Horseshoez's Provisio, to only perform preemptive maintenance, "ie" engine oil pump seal, rear main seal, engine mounts for example, at those times when it's more convenient, and less costly, to do it now rather than later, makes good sense.
Good list (I also had my rear main oil seal done during the clutch job); to your list I'd add water pump, tensioner, and cam seals when the timing belt is being done. :thumb:
The following 2 users liked this post by horseshoez:
frankjnjr (04-19-2018), garzans (04-22-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 466 Posts
Smile Just chiming in with men of experience

Welcome to the Forum, Nick!. ITA with my peers.
Having owned 5 3Gs from 35K-230K all in GREAT shape (maintenance was kept up!) and the #1 thing you do when you acquire one of these babies is:
DO A 3X3 TRANS FLUID CHANGE!..And change your oil, too.

Then keep up with maintenance...It'll be a fun ride for as long as you wanna keep it going! Peeps here know darn near everything!.
garzans (04-22-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 10:08 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Pair of TLs
Welcome to the Forum, Nick!. ITA with my peers.
Having owned 5 3Gs from 35K-230K all in GREAT shape (maintenance was kept up!) and the #1 thing you do when you acquire one of these babies is:
DO A 3X3 TRANS FLUID CHANGE!.
Errr, unless you have a 6MT in your car.
garzans (04-22-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 07:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Errr, unless you have a 6MT in your car.
Clutch jobs are so fun, eh?
garzans (04-22-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 08:05 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Pair of TLs
Clutch jobs are so fun, eh?
Heck of a lot more fun than routinely replacing automatic transmissions.
garzans (04-22-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Heck of a lot more fun than routinely replacing automatic transmissions.
In all the TLs and all the miles, I've had one--and that was 2G 50/50 warranty by the dealership.
But we don't beat the piss out of 'em, either.
garzans (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 03:52 PM
6th Gear

Yall are awesome! I am a little disappointed that i missed some items on the list while I was getting at the timing belt, like and specifically the cam seals, I am glad i got most of it. I did the 3x3 flush and changed the filters during the process as well because I had read an article on this forum. Gave my car so much more power. Looks like i have a bit more work ahead of me, but that's the best part of the hobby!

I really want to get a 6 speed. That will be next buy i believe. The auto is just not as engaging.

Anyways, thanks again everyone!
Old 04-22-2018, 04:35 PM
Latent car nut

Yall are awesome! I am a little disappointed that i missed some items on the list while I was getting at the timing belt, like and specifically the cam seals, I am glad i got most of it. I did the 3x3 flush and changed the filters during the process as well because I had read an article on this forum. Gave my car so much more power. Looks like i have a bit more work ahead of me, but that's the best part of the hobby!

I really want to get a 6 speed. That will be next buy i believe. The auto is just not as engaging.

Anyways, thanks again everyone!
Until you're ready to buy a 6MT model, don't even get tempted to drive a car with three pedals under the dash. The Honda 6MT is a joy to shift, so much so my younger brother with a brand new GTI is jealous of how nice it is to shift.