New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

Hello World

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 12:17 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello World

Just moved into a 2012 Acura TL. Turned 60k on the clock driving it home. So far its a much more fun commuter car than the 2000 civic it replaced. I'm here because it looks like AZ is the best community for TL's. Car will just be a DD. Have a SUV that momma drives hauling the kids around 90% of the time. Let me know if there's any secrets I need to know.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:45 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Congrats I have a 2012 as well. I love it. Is yours FWD or SH-AWD? Tech or base? Color?

I'd recommend the following:

1. Take it to the dealer to see if the Takata airbag recall has been done. Also ask them to check to see if the transmission software update is done (if you have an automatic transmission). There's a software update which improves torque converter operation.
2. If you're interested in performance, look into the J-pipe and high-flow pre-cats or pre-cat deletes from XLR and/or RV6. The exhaust on the 4G TL is better than the 3G but still somewhat restrictive. Those mods should add around 15-25hp or so.
3. Don't consider a cold-air intake (again, if you're looking into any performance mods). The TL essentially has a cold-air intake from the factory.
4. Keep it waxed. There have been a small handful of folks with darker paint that have experienced some clear coat fade. It hasn't been a big issue but waxing is good idea either way.
5. If you have the SH-AWD, you may experience some oil consumption. Keep an eye on your oil level. There isn't really a fix for this so you'll just want to keep it topped off. Some just check it at each fillup to make sure they're good. This isn't an issue with all of the SH-AWD TL's, but some of them have experienced it.

She should treat you well. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2017, 03:50 PM
6th Gear

Thanks Losiflow!

Its a FWD Tech Advance. It is the dark grey color with the light grey (almost white) interior. I wish it was a SH-AWD that's about the only thing I didn't get on this car that I was really hoping for. Thank you for the list of suggestions. It has already had the airbag recall done thankfully. I checked in on that after reading some threads on here. While more performance is always nice, I would rather spend money on mods that will yield better MPG's. I have another Japanese car that I drive sparingly that is my performance car. I know that removing the cats should yield a little better MPG's, but does anyone know how much? I was planning on doing just a K&N filter in the stock airbox and calling the intake good at that point. Sounds like that is what most people recommend doing on here? Thanks again for saying hello and for the information.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
There are mixed reviews on the K&N. I personally stick to OEM filters but I'm sure either is fine.

I haven't seen too many mods that will help MPG's other than "efficiency" mods which are also those aimed at performance since they "free up" power which also results in less work required from the engine. I personally haven't noticed a huge increase in mileage with my mods however. Maybe 2-3mpg at most. There are a few stickiest in the performance section of the 4G forums you may want to look at. Oh, and I recommend to use premium as indicated on the gas cap. The engine has an 11.2:1 compression ratio which is quite high, and will likely experience spark knock with lower octane fuel which results in the ECU pulling timing. That usually causes a decrease performance and lower mileage. That might be a given but some decide to just use regular regardless.

And good choice on the tech/advance package. I test drove one without tech and frankly, the tech package makes the car. If I had to choose between FWD tech vs. SH-AWD base (non-tech), I'd pick the FWD all day.
The following users liked this post:
theonlybfc (10-24-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 12:20 PM
6th Gear

Quick question. After doing some research it looks like the previous owner did the torque converter recall at 52,xxx miles. Do the dealerships always do a tranny flush when they do the recall? No paperwork on a tranny flush so curious if it's a guarantee or not. Thanks in advance.