New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

A Bad Start to Acura Ownership...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 11:56 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Bad Start to Acura Ownership...

... with a happy ending (so far)

I recently purchased a 2008 Acura TL Base with 88k, and had it delivered last night. I did the paperwork and the wife and I went out for a quick bite and then to Walmart to get some fuses, as I found that the shifter and radio lights were out.

We left the burger place, got onto the highway, and I floored it just to see what she could do (hubba hubba), and made my way to the local Walmart, just a few miles away. I came off of the highway and pulled up to the traffic light, where my "new" car started shuddering and acting as if it wanted to stall. I kept feathering the gas, smiling away at my wife to assure her that all was well, but my stomach was turning over. We made it to Walmart and went inside and looked around for things to put in/on the new car, and then made our way back. My wife, who rolled her eyes every time I have seen any Gen3 TL's and said "There's my car." (even though I had never driven or even sat in one), said "man, that's a good looking car", which made me happy. I then got into the car, and it proceeded to crank for 1-15 seconds, at which time I goosed the throttle, and then it caught and stayed running. I then proceeded to back out and drive as if I was driving a standard, feathering the throttle during stops and changes in direction.

As we made our way home it wasn't until about a mile and half from home when the CEL came on. We were both very worried and disappointed by this point. The car made it home and I emailed AAA Car Buyers to let them know what happened, and then I started to do some research. The AAA delivery driver said he had filled it up on the way to my house, but I found out this morning he used regular unleaded. I didn't think it would make that big of a difference, but I had only had the car for 2 hours, so what did I know?

Anyway, I saw that Auto Zone was open until 10 (it was 9:30 by this time) and I had my wife follow me over just in case. They ran the codes, and it came back with the P0404 code. I bought some Octane booster, again, just in case, and added that to the tank and then drove around the parking lot weaving around to mix the additive in. Auto Zone quoted me $92 for a new EGR valve, but I said I would try the octane boost first.

Again, back home and more research on acurazine. I found several articles about carbon buildup sticking the EGR valve open, with a few cases of having put the spurs too it right before it happened. I figured I would wait until morning, when the engine was cool and it was light out, to investigate.

This morning, after doing my real work, I headed out to the driveway, dreading the task ahead. Less than 10 minutes later I had the valve removed and I was inspecting the port. I didn't find any obvious chunks of debris, but as I poked around the valve closed with a very audible "tink". I took that as an encouraging sign, brushed away some of the accumulated carbon, and reinstalled it.

I then got into the car, and turned the key...

...and after about 5 seconds of eternity it fired right up! After a few minutes of warming up I tooled around the neighborhood and goosed it a few times, and it is back running like a champ!

So, that's my introduction/novel. Thank you to everyone in the community for the assistance. I was a very sad puppy when I went to bed last night. I had waited for so long to get a car like this, and it was a disaster. But so far all is well!

tl;dr - I used the full range of the gas pedal, blew out the cobwebs from the previous 2 owners, and clogged my EGR valve. I cleaned it per the fine folks on here, and now I'm a happy TL owner!
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
welcome!!!
and doesnt that always happen!? buy something cool and trying to show off and BAM! it stops working!! lol glad the wife didn't give you too much grief.

let us know if you have any other questions!
The following users liked this post:
Buggernuts (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 05:52 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long story, but congratulation that the car is back normal. 2008 Acura TL Base with 88k, that is also a low mileage!
Old 12-02-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Awesome story. And props for being a site noob and using the search function before rehashing an old topic.

Glad it worked out, and here's hoping for many years of spirited driving.

Also, it makes me happy that at 49, you were able to get "your car". That's awesome.