New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

Another New Member-2023 MDX w/Adv (Black with Espresso)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 01:04 PM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Another New Member-2023 MDX w/Adv (Black with Espresso)

Hello from CA. Glad to join this community. I recently purchased a 2023 MDX with advance package in black with espresso. My first ever new car and first Acura. It was between the 2023 MDX w/advance or the 2023 Honda Pilot elite. The 7k-9k markup at the 4 Honda dealership I interacted with quickly pushed me towards my initial choice of the MDX. Honda dealerships were charging up to 62k for a 2023 Pilot Elite before negotiations (if any) and taxes/fees. I was able to get the 2023 model below MSRP with some included dealer add-ons. I'm still learning the features of the car. Initially wanted black interior but that desire quickly went away once I saw the espresso in person. If I were to choose my top three features of the car in the short period of ownership (in no particular order), they'd be the ELS sound system, driving mode options, and the removal middle seat.

I plan to work on getting accessories and work on the appearance of the car in the next couple years (though it already looks good stock) as the budget allows.

I look forward to learn from this community.

Thank you.
The following 3 users liked this post by Aturnip:
Ascension (05-26-2023), MarcoTLX (04-18-2023), reggieburris (05-17-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 04:30 AM
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 140 Posts
Welcome to Acurazine! Congrats on the ride, and post a picture of it.
The following users liked this post:
Aturnip (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 03:15 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Ascension
Welcome to Acurazine! Congrats on the ride, and post a picture of it.
Thank you. I posted in the photo section recently. Link below to the photos:
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-mdx-...resso-1002962/
Ascension (05-26-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 03:35 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
Welcome
Aturnip (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 05:52 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Welcome
Thank you.
Old 06-06-2023, 03:04 PM
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Do you mind if I ask what other vehicles you considered/how you found they compared? I'm looking at an new MDX potentially for my next car myself as well.
Aturnip (06-07-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 04:50 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by _acura_wagon_
Welcome to the forum!

Do you mind if I ask what other vehicles you considered/how you found they compared? I'm looking at an new MDX potentially for my next car myself as well.
Hello and thank you.

Short version, I bought the MDX because it was the most balanced choice when I considered what was important to me in a car in the price range.

Long version (sorry that it's lengthy, but I thought I'd capture my experience and process if it was to be of any help):
Below is what was important to me in a car in no particular order. I planned to keep the car long-term so I wanted to make sure I got something that checked most of the boxes. My yearly mileage is expected to be ~10k.
  1. Safety
  2. Three rows
  3. Maintenance cost and Reliability (I planned to keep the car long-term, for as long as it lasted)
  4. Android Auto/Apple Carplay
  5. Good sound system (the kids want to listen to music on every single ride)
  6. Spare tire or option to add a spare tire kit. I've been unlucky with a few flats, mostly from screws/nails. We take weekend trips. So this was very important. Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.
  7. Comfort (ride comfort, cabin noise)
  8. Design (visual appearance)
  9. AWD
  10. Kick open trunk (this one was more my wife's request. Most cars have them nowadays).
I researched and test drove or considered the below vehicles in different classes (my search started in 2020):
  1. Used 2018 Audi Q7 Premium Plus and Prestige (for a new one, the price was >70k for the features I wanted. It's a different class than Acura). This one had runflat tires or fix a flat kit. Newer ones have a spare I think. I was close to buying a used one, but decided against it due to no spare, and considering the cost of long term ownership. My coworker had a 2020 GLE 350 which I looked at. After that, I decided not to go with German luxury. Different class. Maintenance cost is too high for long term. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't go with it.
  2. Used 2019 Volvo XC90 T6 (for a new one, same as above). The Audi drove a lot better
  3. New 2021 VW Atlas 3.6L, 4Motion (this thing is BIG, and I felt like I was in a boat).
  4. New 2021 Subaru Ascent Touring.
  5. New 2021 Toyota Highlander.
  6. New 2021 Sienna (the markups on these were 10k-20k, even on used ones, so yeah, no go unfortunately. I drove a rental, FWD. It was nothing fancy, but gets the job done)
  7. New 2022 Lexus RX350L. I looked at my coworkers RX350L. The 3rd row space was kinda tight. With the 3rd row up in the MDX with leg space, the 1st and 2nd row is still comfortable. The Lexus GX was above my budget. And that barn door style trunk is odd. I guess, if it ain't broke.....
  8. New 2022 Acura MDX Advanced
  9. New 2023 Honda Pilot Elite
  10. Tesla model Y with option of 3rd row - I was willing to compromise on a few things with this one to go electric. It didn't have a spare tire. I didn't like the whole touchscreen control one bit. An ICE option provided way better features at the same price point. And I couldn't understand why it has a 3rd row option, there's hardly any space unless you move the 1st and 2nd row all the way towards the front. The interior wasn't great or very comfortable. Repairs can only be done at certified shops, not many, if at all, independent shops. I do acknowledge Tesla's charging infrastructure and the cost of charging compared to gas. But the cons heavily outweighed the pros for me. Going electric would have been great, but I realized it wouldn't be very convenient for my family, yet. Hybrid would have been the way.
After test driving and researching, the MDX checked all the boxes. MDX was the 2nd to last car that I test drove and I was impressed on the test drive. Right away I liked the exterior design. It was comfortable and drove nice. The last car I drove was the 2023 Honda Pilot Elite. This was the main contender to the MDX. But since it was new and still supply constrained (per 3 dealerships), there was a huge markup on it that put it close to the MDX advance pricing. With the Pilot, I was willing to compromise on some features listed below when compared to the MDX:
  1. The Bose sound system wasn't as good as the ELS system (it was noticeable to me).
  2. Comfort. It's spacious, but the ride on the local road and freeway wasn't as good as the MDX. The MDX didn't feel like I was driving a large vehicle. The Pilot was fine and I was good with it, but MDX felt more grounded/stable, especially on turns. The seats are nicer on the MDX.
  3. Design. 2023 Pilot is a redesign and it does look different to others, but I would have found it a bit plain after a few years. I do see a few Pilots on the road now, and it looks good. But I'd take a 2nd look if a MDX went by, lol.
The Pilot has a touchscreen which I felt was an advantage. I was a little hesitant on the MDX because of the trackpad, but after reading and seeing YT reviews, I convinced myself that it was going to be okay long term. I had tried it during the test drive, and for the small amount of time I spent on it, I didn't hate it. I've had the MDX for a little over 3 months now, and the trackpad is just fine for me. I can do some things without having to look at the screen or the trackpad. The steering wheel control is handy and I use Google voice. Surprisingly, my eyes are more on the road with the trackpad. I'd prefer a touchscreen for when using android auto/carplay, but it's not a huge inconvenience for me. The steering wheel control and Google voice fills in the gap. Maybe Acura will introduce the touchscreen on the MDX refresh. I hope they continue to provide support for the trackpad if/when that happens. It's on most of their cars.

I'd recommend spending a good amount of time with the trackpad during your test drive and navigate android auto or carplay.

Soon after my experience with Honda Pilot Elite, I went to Acura dealership with intention to purchase. I was able to get it below MSRP since dealerships had the vehicle well stocked.

I do wish there was a hybrid option. The Toyota Sienna would have been a good option for me, but the pricing was just nuts.

So yeah, that's my experience. Everyone's needs/preferences are different. I hope this somewhat helps. Feel free to message me if you want to know anything about the car.

It's only been 3 months. I'm happy with my vehicle so far. No regrets. I do a double take when I'm walking away from it . Time will tell if I feel the same.

Good luck in your search.