New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

Acura TL: Best Car Ever?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 07:12 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Acura TL: Best Car Ever?

Hey everyone! I've had the pleasure of driving around a 2001 Acura TL for two years now. I bought it at 168,000 miles, now it's at 225,000 miles and all I can say is wow. It has stranded me once, right outside of my driveway, when the CV snapped literally snapped in half after flooring it. One time in 55k miles is odds I'm totally comfortable with. So, it's been a great car but I don't want to spend $2,300 on rebuilding the transmission. It also does this weird thing where the TCS light will come on and off quickly when accelerating on totally dry pavement so there's obviously some sensor or actuator going bad. On top of that I've got an SRS code for the front passenger seat that seems to come on ever 6 months or so (requiring a trip to my mechanic guy). I had an interesting experience with a mechanic earlier this year when I asked him to redo some gaskets too. He had to do the job 3 times over... First time a gasket didn't sit right, the second time he totally forgot a gasket and the third time it finally held. Still smelling burning oil but it only goes through maybe a quart in 5000 miles so I can't complain about that. All things considered, I think it'd be a better idea to pony up the cash one last time on a 2004 or newer model and take that car to 400,000 miles. My current TL has had the lowest per mile cost of any vehicle I've owned and operated. Having had 3 Ford Taurus's, a '98 Buick Regal and 2003 GMC Envoy (AKA the Big Green PoS) I'm literally shocked at how much better of a car the TL is lol. Hopefully the next one I get is a good one