New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

3rd Gen TL - Cleveland Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 03:50 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen TL - Cleveland Ohio

Hey all.

Mike from Cleveland. Just picked up an 05’ TL.

198k miles, but clean. Transmission shifts good besides a little shutter around 30mph and a little aggressive going into reverse.

Any other stuff I should know about this car? I’d like to mod it a bit, and make it mine. Any suggestions?

Old 08-20-2018, 10:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Congratulations, and welcome. IMO: Before you consider any mods, you may want to look into which issues the 05 TL normally experiences, at that mileage.. I would insure that the transmission is sound first. ( " Transmission shifts good besides a little shutter around 30mph and a little aggressive going into reverse. " ) Neither of these conditions are NORMAL, and should be checked out. The 04 - 05 - 06 TL transmissions, while somewhat more reliable than the 2G trans, are still not all that good! Worst case scenario, if it should ever fail, the best solution would be to replace it with an 06-07 Honda Accord AV6 transmission, average cost, $1600. Any service records come with the car? Items, such as the oil pump seal, engine mounts, axle boot seals, suspension components, are all suspect, at that mileage, not to forget the T/B service. For a Cleveland car, it looks really clean, as in no viable rust. Happy motoring, KEEP THE SHINY SIDE UP!
Old 08-22-2018, 04:16 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frankjnjr
Congratulations, and welcome. IMO: Before you consider any mods, you may want to look into which issues the 05 TL normally experiences, at that mileage.. I would insure that the transmission is sound first. ( " Transmission shifts good besides a little shutter around 30mph and a little aggressive going into reverse. " ) Neither of these conditions are NORMAL, and should be checked out. The 04 - 05 - 06 TL transmissions, while somewhat more reliable than the 2G trans, are still not all that good! Worst case scenario, if it should ever fail, the best solution would be to replace it with an 06-07 Honda Accord AV6 transmission, average cost, $1600. Any service records come with the car? Items, such as the oil pump seal, engine mounts, axle boot seals, suspension components, are all suspect, at that mileage, not to forget the T/B service. For a Cleveland car, it looks really clean, as in no viable rust. Happy motoring, KEEP THE SHINY SIDE UP!
Thank you Frank. I've looked at the records from the dealer it was purchased from and the previous owner had it serviced there the whole time she owned it. I think I'm going to call the dealer as well to see if there are any additional records available regarding recalls or other things that were repaired. The shutter was explained to me as being pretty well known. I was told to do a "3x3x3" and check CV shafts, etc. Draining/refilling the transmission isn't something I want to rush in to do. There are a few suspension items that I've had to replace (tie rod end and a sway bar link). Other than that, my mechanic said I got a pretty solid car for $2,700.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 349 Posts
Get a thorough inspection of under the hood and under the body. If that checks out get some tint, and 18's on that bad boy to start

looks really clean though how much did you pay at that mileage?
Old 08-23-2018, 05:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
(" I think I'm going to call the dealer as well to see if there are any additional records available regarding recalls " ) If you like, you can REGISTER the car on the ACURA OWNER'S website. By doing so, the Site will tell you, if there are any open RECALLS on the car. There is also a feature, where you can record and track any repairs, and or mods., you perform on the car. It's a really useful and informative Site.