AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Motorsports News (https://acurazine.com/forums/motorsports-news-7/)
-   -   You go boy! Zanardi Gold (https://acurazine.com/forums/motorsports-news-7/you-go-boy-zanardi-gold-838164/)

Chief F1 Fan 11-08-2011 06:41 AM

You go boy! Zanardi Gold

Alex Zanardi wins hand-cycle division in NYC Marathon:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/blog/...=nascar-wp5179

:thumbsup:

Legend2TL 11-08-2011 07:22 AM

^ +1

F-C 11-08-2011 09:19 AM

Check out Paul Tracy's tweet:

http://jalopnik.com/5857025/how-ex+r...n-without-legs

That's amazing.

dallison 11-08-2011 10:57 AM

kick ass

West6MT 11-08-2011 07:50 PM

:thumbsup: x 100

The Dougler 11-08-2011 07:53 PM

Always loved Zanardi, I met him when I was a kid and he's a super nice guy.

F23A4 11-14-2011 10:07 AM

He's a racer: car or otherwise. So, no surprise here!! :thumbsup:

F-C 09-05-2012 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Autosport
Former Williams, Lotus and Jordan Formula 1 driver Alex Zanardi won gold in the 2012 Paralympic handcycling race around Brands Hatch circuit on Wednesday.

The 45-year-old was competing 11 years after losing his legs - one at the knee and one above - in a horrific Champ Car crash at the Lausitzring.

He previously won silver in the 2011 World Road Para-Cycling Championships, his first medal since moving into the sport following his race-winning spell in the WTCC with BMW.

Zanardi faced up against nine other competitors in the 16km H 4 Brands Hatch time trial, and at the halfway mark had assembled a lead of 14 seconds over Germany's Norbert Mosandl.

He continued to ease away from the German over the final eight kilometres, eventually winning in a time of 24m50.22s.

Mosandl finished second, just over 27 seconds down, with America's Oscar Sanchez a further 18 seconds back in the bronze medal position.

:goldcup:

Chief F1 Fan 09-05-2012 05:28 PM

I just saw a guy the other day on a hand-cycle. Damn that looks hard!

F-C 09-05-2012 08:12 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...nds-Hatch.html

Good article. Apparently, Vasser promised Zanardi a car for the Indy 500 if he won gold. :D

The Dougler 09-05-2012 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by F-C (Post 14019712)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...nds-Hatch.html

Good article. Apparently, Vasser promised Zanardi a car for the Indy 500 if he won gold. :D

If Vasser comes through on that promise I'd be at the track in a heartbeat. My bro has the 96,97 chip ganassi target team race jacket with Zanardi's and Vassers signatures on it.

F-C 09-07-2012 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Telegraph
The former F1 star, who once held the Formula 3000 track record at the Kent circuit, positioned himself on reigning champion Ernt
Van Dyk's shoulder going into the final corner as a peloton of eight riders fought for the best position.
The Italian seemed to be cutting an impossible tight line but as they emerged onto the Jack Brabham straight it was clear he had judged
the corner perfectly and, using the slingshot of the corner, he dived out from behind the big South African, hit the turbo, and sprinted
his way impressively to the line.
Zanardi's turn of speed after over two hours hand pedalling in the hot evening sun on the 64km course was remarkable as Van Dyk
trailed home in second place with Wim Decleir from Belgium taking bronze.
Zanardi, who won the men's time-trial, has a chance to claim a third gold medal tomorrow in the team relay event.
"To win this race in this way, in such a dramatic way and sprinting makes me really proud," said Zanardi.
"It shows that I am a complete cyclist, even if I have no legs. I just tried to save as much as I could during the race. I know I'm a good
sprinter and just had to be confident in myself. And it worked.
"The race did not go as I expected. I thought that I could take off soon and that I would only need to stay calm, but at the fourth lap I
tested my opponents and understood my tactic would not work, so I changed it completely and only tried to save, save and save.
"I used the uphills as rest, the others were overtaking me, then in the downhills I caught them up and regained my position.
"I managed my energies well. It's been a tough race, I could have very well lost it."

:goldcup: :goldcup:

F-C 01-21-2014 10:18 AM

Former Indy car and Formula 1 star Alex Zanardi will make a full-time return to motorsport as a BMW factory driver in the 2014 Blancpain Sprint Series after a four-year absence.

Zanardi, who won two gold medals in hand bike racing at the 2012 London Paralympics, will race a BMW Z4 GT3 for the same ROAL Motorsport (formerly Ravaglia Motorsport) squad with which he contested the European Touring Car Championship in 2004 and the world championship from 2005-09.

The two-time CART title winner will drive his V8-powered Z4 alone in the one-hour races of the championship, formerly known as the FIA GT Series, after a rule change last year designed to encourage physically challenged drivers. His BMW will be specially adapted with the hand controls he fine-tuned during his return to racing in touring cars in the wake of the Champ Car accident in which he lost both legs at Lausitz in 2001.

Zanardi said he was motivated to make a comeback after testing a DTM BMW M3 at the Nurburgring in November 2012 (BELOW).

"When I took to the track in the DTM car at the end of 2012, I immediately got itchy fingers again," he said. "Ever since that moment, I have been toying with the idea of returning to motor racing. Together with BMW, we have looked at various options and I am pleased that it has worked out with my old friends at ROAL Motorsport."

BMW Motorsport boss Jens Marquardt added: "I cannot express how delighted I am that one of the greatest heroes in the history of BMW Motorsport is returning to the cockpit of one of our racing cars. From both a human and a sporting aspect, Alex is a role model to all of us."

Zanardi's program will encompass six of the seven weekends that make up the Sprint Series, which will leave him time to continue his preparations for a Paralympic return in Rio next year.

Racing alone in the series will offer Zanardi no advantage: the driver change element of the mandatory mid-race pit stop is generally completed before all four wheels have been changed.

ROAL will field two Z4s in both the Sprint Series and its sister Blancpain Endurance Series.
:thumbsup:

West6MT 01-21-2014 09:27 PM

:thumbsup: x 2

fsttyms1 01-22-2014 08:29 AM

:thumbsup: x3

F-C 05-30-2018 09:08 AM

From Autosport:

Alex Zanardi says he thought BMW was joking when it offered him the chance to make a one-off DTM appearance at Misano.

Zanardi will make his debut in the series in the pair of night races at Misano in August, and BMW has started work on adapting its M4 DTM car to suit the double amputee's needs.

DTM rule changes for 2018, which allow a seventh car from each manufacturer to run as a non-points scoring guest entry, have helped facilitate Zanardi's appearance, following Matias Ekstrom's farewell at the Hockenheim season opener.

Zanardi says he was approached by BMW's motorsport director Jens Marquardt two months ago.

"Jens Marquardt came up with the idea, he offered me the opportunity to be in that role in Misano," he said. "I never expected it to be possible.

"At first I thought it was a joke because I know how competitive the DTM is. I haven't driven a race car in a long time.

"The last time was in Mugello in 2016 at the Italian GT Championship season finale.

"There are still many question marks and it won't be a Sunday afternoon ride for me.

"It's going to be one of the biggest challenges I've ever faced as a racer."

https://d2d0b2rxqzh1q5.cloudfront.ne...685ac777e3.jpg

Full article: https://www.autosport.com/dtm/news/1...offer-was-joke

Wow. 51 years old and starting his first DTM race.

00TL-P3.2 08-08-2018 01:26 PM

https://racer.com/2018/08/07/zanardi...d-of-dtm-race/

Alex Zanardi has been racing BMW race cars since 2003, but this month’s drive at the DTM race weekend in Misano will mark something new: For the first time ever, he will race without his prosthetic legs.

Here’s how Zanardi explained the rationale for racing without the prosthetic:

“Cool! I took off, I looked down and.. Boy! Didn’t I forgot something?!? 4 the 1st time I’ll use my hand to push the brake and not my leg, which will stay in the garage.. Anyhow, with the BMW M4 DTM, I regain all the sensations from my singleseater days!”

To prepare, the 51-year-old is at Vallelunga today and tomorrow for a series of intensive tests with the modified BMW M4 DTM. Zanardi is adjusting to several modifications in the cockpit which will allow him to push the DTM car to its limit without using his prostheses.

BMW Motorsport engineers have developed many technical innovations for his start in the DTM and at the 2019 Rolex 24 At Daytona, including a hand-operated braking system for the first time. Here are some of the changes:

Hand-operated brake system

Zarnardi will have a newly developed hand-operated brake system at his disposal for the first time. This replaces the combination of brake pedal with a permanently attached artificial leg, which Zanardi has used to brake on his previous outings in BMW race cars. The advantage of this new system is that it requires less effort and is thus far easier to operate.

The brake lever is located to the driver’s right, in the center console area. The brake lines have been extended and laid from the footwell to this lever. As a result, the pedal box, with the throttle, brake and clutch pedals, is no longer necessary. The footwell in Zanardi’s BMW M4 DTM is empty. The large brake cylinder has been adjusted slightly, meaning Zanardi need not apply quite as much pressure by hand as a regular DTM driver must with his foot to achieve the required braking effect. Where a regular driver must apply 100 to 120 kilograms of pressure (220 to 260 pounds), a maximum 70 kilograms (154 pounds) is sufficient for Zanardi. As well as the size of the brake cylinder, the improved leverage of the handbrake lever also makes the whole braking procedure easier.

For the new system to work, the BMW Motorsport engineers turned the operating principle of the brake cylinder on its head. While the brake pedal in a normal BMW M4 DTM exerts tensile force on the brake cylinder, the handbrake lever in Zanardi’s car applies pressure to the cylinder.

As with every BMW M4 DTM, Zanardi’s car also has a parking brake, which is used to build up preload pressure to allow the fastest possible start. Like his fellow BMW drivers, Zanardi can operate this parking brake via a button on the steering wheel. However, he can also mechanically activate and release the parking brake via a lever on his handbrake. This also allows him to prevent the car from rolling.

Centrifugal clutch

In a standard DTM car, the drivers use a hydraulic clutch for the start of the race and for pulling away from the pit lane before the race and following a pit stop. In Zanardi’s car, a fully automatic centrifugal clutch is used instead. This automatically opens and closes at certain engine speeds and is no longer operated by the driver. The respective engine speeds are defined by BMW Motorsport engineers as part of their meticulous set-up work. For Zanardi, the system has the great advantage that he does not need to use one of his hands to operate a clutch lever.

Initial tests with the centrifugal clutch have been very positive. Both the pulling away slowly from the garage and the fast getaway at the start or after a pit stop have worked seamlessly. The sprint from 0 to 100 km/h (60mph) is roughly as fast with the centrifugal brake as with the conventional system.

In principle, Zanardi can change gears in his BMW M4 DTM via the shift paddles on the steering wheel, just like his fellow drivers. Furthermore, it is no longer necessary to operate a clutch in any modern DTM car. Like all the other drivers, Zanardi uses the shift paddle on the right side of the steering wheel to shift up through the gears.

When necessary, he can move down through the gears normally with the respective shift paddle. However, as this procedure is usually associated with a braking maneuver for which the right hand is needed, Zanardi can also downshift using a shift paddle on the end of the brake lever.

Throttle ring

The system, with which Zanardi accelerates in the BMW M4 DTM, was adopted from the GT cars modified for him in the past. He accelerates by using his fingers to pull on a throttle ring on the rear of the steering wheel. The continuous ring can be operated with both hands, or just with the left or right hand. This plays no role in the way the system functions. The throttle ring is controlled using the same sensors as the standard throttle pedal.

Steering wheel

The steering wheel, including the throttle ring, is basically the same as those used in the GT cars that Zanardi has driven in the past. Only the buttons have been adjusted for his guest appearance in the DTM. For example, a DRS button has been added. Meanwhile, the knobs towards the bottom of the steering wheel, which are used to configure driver aids such as ABS in GT cars, have no function in the BMW M4 DTM.
https://racer.com/gallery/gallery-za...dified-bmw-m4/

F-C 08-27-2018 07:45 PM

https://racer.com/2018/08/27/zanardi...-a-gold-medal/

“It feels like a gold medal.”

When Alex Zanardi was told he crossed the finish line in fifth place in the second of two DTM guest drives this weekend at Misano, he swore it was a joke.

“This the best joke of the weekend… Come on, you’re kidding me. I am an old man, you cannot tease me this way!” he radioed back to his crew.

Amazing. What can't Zanardi do? 51 years old, driving a hand operated DTM car and finish in fifth place after just a few tests. Grande!

Legend2TL 01-25-2019 12:36 PM

Zanardi defies disability to inspire racing's biggest stars

I've seen a really good interview of Vassar and Zanardi recently, and you can tell they are really good friends, joking around and messing with each other.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/zanardi-d...073203967.html

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Every now and then Alex Zanardi has a chance encounter with someone who reminds him there's never any reason to feel sorry for himself, not that he ever had during his two vastly different lifetimes: the one with legs, and the other as a double-amputee.

There was once a brief meeting in a hospital with a fan who talked Formula One and Ferrari with him over a cup of coffee. When he saw the man later that day, sobbing and holding a small child, Zanardi offered him comfort.

The man was crying tears of joy. His daughter, born without legs, had been fitted for her first pair of prosthetics that day. When the technician asked for her shoes to set the balance, the father had none. He'd rushed off to purchase his daughter's first pair of shoes and was overcome with emotion by the simple errand.

"The next time I found myself alone in front of a mirror I said, 'You never dare complain about what happened to you,'" Zanardi said.

Only Zanardi has never complained, not even in the immediate moments after he awoke in a hospital room in Germany without his legs.

Both had been severed in a horrific crash during a 2001 race at EuroSpeedway Lausitz, four days after the Sept. 11 attacks, a weekend in which CART was the only U.S.-based sports league to compete as scheduled. Zanardi was a two-time CART champion recently returned from a second stint in F1 and had plowed through the field to lead laps for the first time since he'd left the series after his 1998 title.

The crash occurred when Zanardi spun his car after a pit stop and he was hit by another driver. Both legs were severed at impact, blown to pieces and part of a debris field that went as far as the eye could see.

"It looked like a bomb blast, I wasn't even sure where the crash scene was and when I got to him, I remember the first thing I said is, 'Where are his legs?'" recalled Dr. Terry Trammell, an orthopedic surgeon and member of the series' renowned safety team. "It was essentially a war injury, one that is not survivable."

Blood poured out of Zanardi's body onto the track and Trammell frantically tried to fashion tourniquets. He used Zanardi's firesuit on one leg and a safety crew member handed Trammell his belt for the other. The Italian driver, 34 at the time, went into cardiac arrest on the helicopter ride to Berlin. There he was rushed into surgery and spent days in a medically induced coma before learning the extent of his injuries.

"Everybody probably thought when I woke up I was going to ask myself, 'How the hell am I going to live with no legs?'" Zanardi said. "And I simply asked myself, 'How the hell am I going to do all the things I have to do with no legs?'"

Now 52, Zanardi has seized every moment in the 17 years since and will cross off yet another remarkable achievement this weekend at Daytona International Raceway when he competes in the prestigious Rolex 24 at Daytona endurance race. He will race for the first time without prosthetics, using a steering wheel designed for him by BMW that allows him to drive with hand levers.

Zanardi was an established racing superstar before his accident and his accomplishments since transcend sports. An inspirational figure with indomitable spirit, he designed his own prosthetics — he jokes he made himself taller — and learned to walk again. Then he returned to racing in touring cars. After that came hand cycling, a class victory in the New York City Marathon and four gold medals spanning two Paralympic Games.

For good measure, he took up triathlons and in has gone under the 9-hour mark in several Iron Man competitions. Zanardi uses a handbike for the cycling portion and a wheelchair for the running portion.

"He's a great champion, a hero, a role model. I mean, where do you stop?" said former teammate and close friend Jimmy Vasser. "The things that he continues to do to show the way how to live your life every day — he probably wasn't here for a minute of this life, but he came back and he just continues to inspire everyone he comes into contact with."

Zanardi by nature is both affable and exuberant, and his infectious air of positivity has made him the shining star at an event stacked with some of the biggest names in racing. Almost everyone in the field watched video of Zanardi and his teammates practicing the driver change earlier this month, a choreographed exercise he has perfected. Team RLL can complete the switch, which includes swapping the steering wheel, in less than 15 seconds.

"It started at 30-second driver changes and above, then got it down to 14 seconds. It's amazing how he can actually get in quicker in the car than I can," said teammate Jesse Krohn. "He's super positive and never lets things hold him down. He's always finding a way to make things happen. It took time to find a way that suits him. What he can do on track and off track, he doesn't have a disability."

The race has become a reunion with old friends and a perpetual meet-and-greet with the upcoming stars of motorsports.

Zanardi zips around the paddock on an electric chair and is consistently stopped by racers eager for a minute of his time and a selfie as a souvenir. There are four other drivers in the Rolex field who last shared the track with Zanardi in that race in Germany in 2001. Others have only heard of his feats, both before and after the accident. Zanardi's 1996 pass of Bryan Herta in the corkscrew of the Laguna Seca, California, road course is considered one of the most magnificent in racing history, and he's recognized as the creator of the post-race victory doughnuts most NASCAR drivers do now.

British driver Katherine Legge said she's asked for only two autographs in her entire life — Phil Collins as a child, then Zanardi at an industry event several years ago. John Edwards, one of his teammates in this race, received Zanardi's autobiography for Christmas when he was 13.

"I think you learn a lot more about life from Alex than you learn about tips and tricks from racing," said Edwards, who is 27. "This guy, in my mind, was a legend and had gone on to do a lot of incredible things. Even after his accident."

When Zanardi first entered CART in 1996, as the teammate alongside Vasser at Chip Ganassi Racing, the two became lifelong friends as they won a combined 23 races and three consecutive series championships. Vasser remembered asking Zanardi about his interests and was surprised that "Rocky," about the underdog Italian-American boxer from Philadelphia, was his favorite movie.

"That says a lot, though, about his strengths, right? I asked him why because 'Rocky' isn't exactly the deepest movie," Vasser said. "He said, 'No! Rocky was very smart, very clever.' But that says it all, Alex ever since I've known him, he's just never given up. He's an animal, a lion."

All the praise for Zanardi has at times embarrassed him over the last month as he's listened to friends share their favorite stories about him. Most are about his humor, or the way he tells a story with intricate details and a touch of exaggeration, and of course, about the way he's inspired each and every one of them.

Zanardi, showing a hint of bashfulness, considers every step "another chapter in a fairy tale of a life."

"Disabilities are a very relative condition, it is something that defines a situation, but if you can't jump over the problem then you can certainly go around it," Zanardi said. "We all are limited in that none of us can fly and none of us can run faster than some animals, but we figure out a way to go to Tokyo if we have to, right? Or we run faster than an animal with a race car.

"Of course I have no legs, which doesn't help, but I'm here and I just try to deliver the best I can."

R J Poseidon 6 01-25-2019 01:05 PM

I'm so excited for this weekend!!!

...at The Roar he rolled by me in the garages on some electric wheelchair that really scoots!

Can't wait!!!

F-C 06-19-2020 03:31 PM

https://racer.com/2020/06/19/zanardi...ling-accident/

Zanardi seriously injured in a hand bike race in Italy.

F-C 06-19-2020 07:05 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...ab6a4daf48.jpg

Whole of Italy pulling for Alex.
Forza Zanardi!

Chief F1 Fan 06-20-2020 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by F-C (Post 16591065)
https://racer.com/2020/06/19/zanardi...ling-accident/

Zanardi seriously injured in a hand bike race in Italy.

This poor bastard cannot catch a break, pun unintended. WTF? As a cyclist who rides with recumbent dudes once in a while, I get how he may have gotten hit. Cars just don't see those guys down low and Zanardi in a hand bike was likely pretty low to the road surface. Very sad indeed given his past.

Legend2TL 06-21-2020 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan (Post 16591520)
This poor bastard cannot catch a break, pun unintended. WTF? As a cyclist who rides with recumbent dudes once in a while, I get how he may have gotten hit. Cars just don't see those guys down low and Zanardi in a hand bike was likely pretty low to the road surface. Very sad indeed given his past.

Unfortunately early reports say it may have been Alex's fault as he veered into oncoming traffic.
https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/former-f1-...cident-1679775

F-C 06-22-2020 09:13 AM

https://www.grandprix.com/news/docto...in-damage.html

Alex Zanardi is at risk of brain damage as a result of a head-on crash with a truck during a hand cycling race in Italy.

The former F1 driver, who famously lost his legs in a horror American open-wheeler crash in 2001, crossed into the oncoming lane on a downhill bend and sustained serious head injuries.

Corriere della Sera said the race was not officially sanctioned because of the corona shutdowns, which is why the oncoming lanes were not closed to traffic.

Zanardi, 53, underwent neurosurgery and facial surgery and according to the hospital in Siena "was transferred to intensive care with a reserved prognosis".

Critical care Dr Sabino Scolletta told Italian media that the hand cycling Olympic champion, now connected to a ventilator, had arrived at hospital "with practically all the bones in his face broken".

"The neurological picture is what remains serious, the physical conditions remain stable," he said.

"In the next few days we will evaluate him neurologically if the conditions allow. Will he be the champion of before? We hope so and we are all here for that reason."

However, he admitted that brain damage or a deterioration of his condition is a possibility.

"It may get worse, that is possible, but currently he is stable," said Dr Scolletta, adding that Zanardi is also at risk of "damage to his vision".

"When the brain is less inflamed, the maxillofacial partners will have to intervene to also rebuild the facial part, which we have neglected a bit because there was an immediate risk of loss of life," he added.
According to this report. it wasn't a sanctioned race so the roads were not closed to oncoming traffic.

00TL-P3.2 06-22-2020 09:59 AM

:sad:

00TL-P3.2 06-24-2020 08:28 AM

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...NKyvw4Szn.html

Alex Zanardi is set to remain in a medically induced coma until at least next week, doctors have confirmed.

The ex-Formula 1 driver was airlifted to hospital on Friday after being involved in a road accident while riding his handbike on a highway in Italy.

He was immediately rushed into surgery to treat was doctors described as a "severe head injury" before he was moved to intensive care.

On Tuesday Le Scotte hospital in Siena, where the 53-year-old is being treated, confirmed he had spent a fourth night in intensive care, and said there would be no effort to reduce his level of sedation to assess his "neurological status" until at least nest week.

A statement from the hospital said Zanardi's "neurological picture remains unchanged in its severity," adding: "The patient remains sedated, intubated and mechanically ventilated. Any reductions in sedo-analgesia, for the assessment of neurological status, will be considered starting next week."

Over the weekend the Head of Neurosurgery Dr Giuseppe Olivieri told the Associated Press agency that Zanardi was in a "a very serious situation".

“We won’t see what his neurological state is until he wakes up — if he wakes up," Olivieri said. "Serious condition means it’s a situation when someone could die. Improvement takes time in these cases.

“Turns for the worse can be sudden. The operation went according to the plan. It’s the initial situation that was very serious.”

Best wishes have continued to pour in for Zanardi from around the racing and sporting world, with the hashtag #ForzaAlex trending on social media in his honour.

F-C 06-24-2020 09:21 AM

https://www.grandprix.com/news/zanar...h-reports.html

Alex Zanardi's eyesight is at risk as a result of the hand cycling crash that has left him in a coma with serious facial and head injuries.

Giuseppe Olivieri, the neurosurgeon who operated on the former F1 driver turned paralympian, announced on Tuesday that the 53-year-old Italian will remain in a coma for a further 10-15 days.

"We don't know how much of the coma is due to the drugs and how much is due to the neurological conditions," he told Italy's Sky Sport 24.

Olivieri praised the doctor who initially worked on Zanardi after he swerved onto the wrong side of the road during a race and collided with a truck.

"The greatest merit belongs to the anaesthesiologist who intubated him correctly," said Olivieri. "It was difficult to do it in the middle of the street with a patient in that condition."

An update provided by the Santa Maria alle Scotte hospital in Siena, Italy, said on Tuesday that the "neurological picture remains unchanged in its severity".

"The patient remains sedated, intubated and mechanically ventilated."

There is speculation that the serious facial injuries suffered by the former Williams driver could cost him his eyesight.

"The former Formula 1 driver is at risk of losing both eyes," said the Swiss newspaper Blick. The same information was carried by the German news agency SID.

CCColtsicehockey 07-01-2020 06:53 AM

Damn dude can't catch a break in life. :sad:

00TL-P3.2 07-02-2020 07:00 AM

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...82AIe04Eb.html

Ferrari have announced their cars will carry a "#ForzaAlex" message at the Austrian Grand Prix this weekend in support of ex-F1 driver Alex Zanardi, who remains in intensive care after after a road accident earlier this month.

Zanardi, 53, raced in Formula 1 for Jordan, Minardi, Lotus and Williams in the 1990s and is also a two-time CART champion. After he lost both legs in a CART crash in 2001, he took up handbike racing and has won four gold medals at the Paralympics.

On Friday, June 19, the Italian was airlifted to hospital after he was involved in an accident with a truck while riding his handbike on a highway in Italy, and he has remained in intensive care ever since.

As a show of their best wishes to the former Grand Prix driver, Ferrari announced on Tuesday that they would carry the #ForzaAlex message on either side of the roll hoop, just under the camera on the engine air intake, of both Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc's SF1000 cars at the Austrian Grand Prix this weekend.

The news comes after doctors treating Zanardi at Le Scotte hospital in Siena confirmed he had was in a "stable" condition after undergoing a second operation on Monday, after a CT scan showed "an evolution of the patient's state which made it necessary to resort to a second neurosurgery."

The hospital statement said the operation took two and a half hours, and afterwards he was returned to the intensive care unit where he remains sedated and intubated. His status remains "severe from the neurological point of view".

Roberto Gusino, director of health at the hospital said: "The intervention represents a step that had been hypothesized by the team. Our professionals will evaluate the evolution of the situation day by day."

Chief F1 Fan 07-02-2020 11:00 AM

:pray:

West6MT 07-03-2020 01:32 PM

Chief F1 Fan 07-16-2020 05:06 PM

Alex is being brought out of the medically induced coma slowly. His condition doesn't sound promising though does it?Former Lotus and Williams driver Alex Zanardi will be progressively brought out of the medically-induced coma he was put into following a handbike accident in June, according to the hospital where the Italian is being treated.

Quadruple Paralympic gold medallist Zanardi was competing in a handbike race in Italy on June 19 when he collided with a road car on the outskirts of Siena. After twice undergoing neurological surgeryfollowing the crash, the A.O.U. Senese hospital confirmed in a statement on Thursday that Zanardi’s sedation would be gradually reduced, ahead of a further update on his condition next week.

“In agreement with the family… the progressive reduction of sedo-analgesia has been started in these days,” said the hospital. “Following the reduction of sedation, it will take a few days for further evaluations on the patient by the multidisciplinary team that takes care of the athlete to allow any continuation of his therapeutic and rehabilitative path.

“Currently, the cardio-respiratory and metabolic parameters remain stable, the neurological picture remains serious and the prognosis remains confidential. Further information on Alex Zanardi's health conditions will be released next week in agreement with the family.”

Ferrari ran #ForzaAlex on their cars in the aftermath of the crash in tribute to Zanardi, who made 41 Grand Prix starts between 1991 and 1999 driving for Jordan, Minardi, Lotus and Williams.

R J Poseidon 6 07-23-2020 08:51 AM

An update:

F-C 07-24-2020 01:07 PM

https://www.grandprix.com/news/pries...conscious.html

Alex Zanardi is "only sometimes conscious" as he recovers from his serious head and facial injuries following a full month in hospital.

That is the word of Father Luca Poli, a priest at the rehabilitation clinic where the former Formula 1 driver is now recovering.

Zanardi's son Niccolo said this week that he is currently less concerned about the 53-year-old's eyesight, and more about "whether he can communicate with us again".

"The rehabilitation will take a long time," Niccolo said.

Now, Father Luca Poli tells La Gazzetta dello Sport following a visit to see the hand-cycling Olympic champion: "Alex Zanardi is only sometimes conscious and he gets tired quickly.

"Sometimes he's awake, sometimes not," he said.

"After the transfer from Siena to here, he was very tired and I could only see him briefly. I also couldn't take his hand because we have to keep our distance from the patients in these times.

"What is certain is that this is a man with an incredible will to live. Honestly, I don't know where he gets his energy from," Father Poli added.

"I also see a man surrounded by a loving family, but also very important is what comes from the patient himself.

"I'm not talking about physical strength. I believe that recovery depends more on the patient's own will than on the work of the doctors," he said.

F-C 07-24-2020 01:15 PM

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...UOK1NCDii.html

...on Friday, per Reuters, doctors at the Villa Beretta rehabilitation clinic released a statement saying that Zanardi's condition was unstable and as a result he was being returned to intensive care at the San Raffaele Hospital, just south of the rehabilitation clinic, in Milan.
:sad: :sad:

00TL-P3.2 07-24-2020 01:24 PM

Forza Alex

00TL-P3.2 07-30-2020 02:34 PM

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...cMUKHiDAJ.html

Former F1 racer Alex Zanardi’s clinical condition has been described as “stable” following the latest medical intervention required over a month on from his serious handbike accident in Italy.

That accident – which saw Zanardi collide with a vehicle whilst competing in a race near Siena – resulted in a “severe head injury”, causing the racing driver and Paralympian to be put into an induced coma, and to undergo several neurological surgeries.

Having been moved last week to a specialist rehabilitation centre in Lecco, Zanardi was subsequently moved again to the San Raffaele Hospital near Milan in an unstable condition. But following “a delicate neurosurgical procedure”, Zanardi’s condition was deemed to have stabilised.

A statement from the hospital said: “The day after the transfer to the Neurosurgical Intensive Therapy, directed by Professor Luigi Beretta, the patient underwent a delicate neurosurgical procedure performed by Professor Pietro Mortini, director of the Operative Unit of Neurosurgery, for the treatment of some late complications due to the primary head injury.

“At the moment, the clinical and radiological tests confirm the success of the aforementioned treatments, and the current clinical conditions of the patient, still hospitalised in the Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit, appear stable.”

Zanardi started 41 Grands Prix for Jordan, Minardi, Lotus and Williams in F1 from 1991-1999, and won two CART championship titles in America before a shocking racing acccident in Germany in 2001 resulted in his legs being amputated – with Zanardi then inspiring millions by going on to win four gold medals for handbike racing in the Paralympics, as well as returning to racing cars.

Chief F1 Fan 08-04-2020 06:01 PM

I just feel terrible for this poor man. I remember watching the race where he lost his legs, you knew instantly it was going to be very, very bad. I thought he was likely killed. After such a traumatic brain injury, you have to wonder what kind of life will follow for him (Schu?) Kill me now . . . .

F-C 12-22-2020 09:42 AM

https://racer.com/2020/12/21/zanardi...ng-to-stimuli/

Alex Zanardi has regained his sight and hearing and is able to give non-verbal responses to questions as he continues his recovery from injuries and subsequent surgeries following a handcycle crash in June.

According to Italy’s Corriere della Sera, the 54-year-old is able to respond to questions with gestures, shake hands and recognizes his wife Daniela. He remains unable to speak due to a hole in his trachea that is being kept open as a precaution, however Corriere reports that Zanardi’s medical team view these latest signs of progress as encouraging for his prospects of regaining the majority of his brain function.

Wow, this is really good news.