Wen to Molson Indy in BC.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 09:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Wen to Molson Indy in BC.....

Have not watched formula racing on the streets since Macau 25 years ago. What a trip? My favorite spot was at the end of the straight, flying into turn 1.... What was soooooooooo cool was listening to them go down on gears....

Here is my question? How are they downshifting so damned fast? Are they hitting a button for downshift or is it like our sport shifter??
Old 07-29-2002, 10:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CART cars have a sequential gearbox, similar to a motorcycle. Shift lever = push forward for upshift, pull back for downshift. After leaving dead stop the clutch isn't used by most drivers, gears are straight cut so not a problem like in a street car.

Glad you enjoyed the weekend. CART is where it's at for road racing, ALMS is nice but CART is best.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:23 AM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Wen to Molson Indy in BC.....

Originally posted by Eggplant-EX
Have not watched formula racing on the streets since Macau 25 years ago. What a trip? My favorite spot was at the end of the straight, flying into turn 1.... What was soooooooooo cool was listening to them go down on gears....

Here is my question? How are they downshifting so damned fast? Are they hitting a button for downshift or is it like our sport shifter??
During the race on Speed Television, they had a camera on Carpentiers shift lever. He was banging out downshifts 3 at a time going into some corners. They did have alot of gearbox failures yesterday !!
Old 07-29-2002, 11:29 AM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh yeah, over 161 thousand in attendance for the 3 days !! Another huge crowd for CART. People want road racing from Indy Cars Franchitti and Tracy who were 1-2 yesterday will be back in CART next year, count on it.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:51 AM
Grls lov shiftn my stick

Originally posted by Red Rider
Oh yeah, over 161 thousand in attendance for the 3 days !! Another huge crowd for CART. People want road racing from Indy Cars Franchitti and Tracy who were 1-2 yesterday will be back in CART next year, count on it.
Red, Red, Red, Red....I can't believe you are still sticking with CART!

When they go under next season, will you please promote IRL as good as you do CART?? You know, IRL will be the only Indy type racing going on in the US, so unless you go with F1, you will have to support IRL....Isn't racing great....
Old 07-29-2002, 11:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Still on a high from listening to them bang down 3 gears, then fly into the first corner...... Tracy was cool as he would bang down 3 gears almost all at once. Franchitti was bang down one, wait a split second, then 2 more down in quick sucession.

Only complaint was spending $50 Canadian to get in the track and not get good places to watch the action. It was extra bucks to get to the stands to watch. I think that is why they will die. Spectators will only be willing to be screwed over that much. If they made it where you paid Canadian $50 and got to sit down on the stands, they may build a good following where people will go back the following years.

I certainly would not pay that money and go back to watch, standing by a fence....
Old 07-29-2002, 12:25 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 625 Likes on 276 Posts
I can't believe you're complaining about paying $50 for tickets that don't have a seat...that's DAMN cheap....
I'm going to the USGP, our seats are $140 US...the Grand Prix in Montreal ranges from $180-450 CDN for seats....
the molson Indy in Toronto was $195 a seat....
$50 is nothing for seats to see action like road course racing...

Starter: gonna have to disagree and say that F1 is the ultimate road racing series...
Old 07-29-2002, 01:23 PM
My other car is a 350Z

Re: Re: Wen to Molson Indy in BC.....

Originally posted by Red Rider

During the race on Speed Television, they had a camera on Carpentiers shift lever. He was banging out downshifts 3 at a time going into some corners. They did have alot of gearbox failures yesterday !!
LOL! Both the Newman/Haas cars geabox's died within seconds of each other taking out DaMatta and Fittapaldi. And jeez, how many front suspensions snapped under the load?

Tough course, good result. Glad to see Team Greene #1 and #2 and Dario get a win for a change.
Old 07-29-2002, 01:27 PM
My other car is a 350Z

F1 > CART > IRL

IRL = open wheel NASCAR :P
Old 07-29-2002, 08:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Astroboy
I can't believe you're complaining about paying $50 for tickets that don't have a seat...that's DAMN cheap....
I'm going to the USGP, our seats are $140 US...the Grand Prix in Montreal ranges from $180-450 CDN for seats....
the molson Indy in Toronto was $195 a seat....
$50 is nothing for seats to see action like road course racing...

Starter: gonna have to disagree and say that F1 is the ultimate road racing series...
Holy crap!!! I guess I had better stop complaining then. But still not going back... will watch it on ESPN next year instead!!
Old 07-30-2002, 02:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Astroboy, FI is a very fine technological exhibition, but racing?

CART is where it's at for road racing, at least in the US. Of course some of the support series are pretty good too, F3000, FA, F2000 and this year Barber Dodge - check out Allmendinger, Rojas, Patrick and some of the others - definately some future stars here.