Umm, like I said about Brazil . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003 | 07:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Umm, like I said about Brazil . . .

Here it is boyz:

Giancarlo Fisichella has been confirmed as the winner of the Brazilian Grand Prix.

At a meeting in Paris on Friday, the race stewards agreed the Italian – and not McLaren’s Kimi Raikkonen – was the winner of the race.

An investigation into the result was launched on Wednesday after information came to light revealing that Fisichella was on his 56th lap, not his 55th, when the red flags came out to stop the race.

The sport's countback rule means that the winner of a stopped race is the leader two laps before the point at which the red flags are brought out.

The result was initially declared from the positions at the end of lap 53, but this has now been amended to lap 54, the circuit on which Fisichella had passed Raikkonen.

An FIA statement read: "Having examined detailed records provided by the organisation responsible for timekeeping at the event, the stewards are satisfied that car no. 11 (Fisichella) had crossed the line to complete 55 laps and started his 56th lap before the signal to stop the race was given.

"The race was therefore stopped on the 56th lap. As a consequence, under the provisions of Article 154 of the Formula 1 Sporting Regulations, the race classification should be that at the end of lap 54."

It is Fisichella's maiden grand prix win and came in Jordan's 200th race.

He said: "I am very happy that the FIA and everybody recognises that I won the Brazilian Grand Prix.

"I already thought this was the case, and the team believed it straight away and then in recent days when the evidence was examined, we knew it was true and hoped it would become official.

"It was very difficult for me with the confusion after the race, and I’m still disappointed that I didn’t have my moment at the top of the podium, but I am pleased that it is clear now that I have won my first grand prix!"

Eddie Jordan, who attended the Paris meeting in person, added: “Sunday’s race was absolutely thrilling and I am very grateful to the FIA for examining the results in such detail and acknowledging that the victory is Giancarlo’s. It was a hazardous race and he demonstrated great talent and maturity, as did all the drivers.

“Obviously it’s a shame that the results weren’t accurately reported immediately as it would have been better if Giancarlo had been able to celebrate his first win in the normal fashion on the top step of the podium, but I hope that opportunity will come again soon.

"It is terrific news for us to record our fourth grand prix victory and it proves that we are still able to challenge the top teams. That’s very satisfying for an independent team in today’s environment.”

The revised race classification also promoted Ralf Schumacher into the points in seventh, at the expense of Jaguar's Mark Webber.

The FIA added that it has launched a separate investigation into "the circumstances which gave rise to the wrong race classification being issued in Brazil."

Brazilian Grand Prix - revised result

1 FISICHELLA Jordan Ford2
RAIKKONEN McLaren Mercedes3 ALONSO Renault4 COULTHARD McLaren Mercedes
5 FRENTZEN Sauber Petronas
6 VILLENEUVE BAR Honda
7 SCHUMACHER Williams BMW
8 TRULLI Renault
Old 04-12-2003 | 08:01 PM
Drifting

its good they get the win he deserved it
Old 04-13-2003 | 04:43 AM
Senior Moderator