Silly Season 2008

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008 | 09:55 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Silly Season 2008

Ferrari has announced that Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa will remain its drivers until the end of 2010. The news suggests that Ferrari has decided that it does not want Fernando Alonso and cannot get Robert Kubica. This means that the rest of the market will now start to fall into place.
Interesting, interesting...

Let's see what Alonso decides on. Personally, I'd rather not have Alonso at Honda, on the other hand, Barrichello needs to go.
Old 09-12-2008 | 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator

I heard about this while watching practice this morning.

Do you think Alonso would agree to go to Honda?
Old 09-12-2008 | 02:20 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

What options do he have?

Ferrari - nope
McLaren -
BMW - doesn't look good
Toyota - could be
Red Bull - If he wants Renault power, best to stay at Renault.
Toro Rosso - upside potential not great
Williams - maybe
Force India - don't think so
Honda - Yeah, they suck big time right now, but upside potential is strong.

There really aren't too many options for him. Stick with Renault or go to Honda? I'm sure he was hoping that Raikkonen would leave Ferrari.
Old 09-12-2008 | 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Ya, not really much he can do.

I'm gonna guess he stays with Renault and sees how things play out next year,....but who knows.
Old 09-15-2008 | 03:43 AM
6G TLX-S

I'm very impressed with Button's patience for still sticking with Honda. I guess he has no where to go. Williams ?
Old 09-18-2008 | 02:31 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Sato testing with Toro Rosso at Jerez. Still trying to get back into F1 I see.
Old 09-18-2008 | 02:47 PM
Senior Moderator

That's cool
Old 09-19-2008 | 09:03 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Updates

Fernando Alonso has decided against switching to BMW Sauber or Honda for the 2009 season, according to the Spanish daily newspaper AS.

The sports newspaper claims the 27-year-old Spaniard believes Renault, his current team, is likely to catch up with and pass BMW due to the sweeping rules changes next year.

Diario AS also said Alonso was reluctant to agree to BMW's contractual terms, where he would be bound to a multiple-year term rather than free - as he currently is - to accept a more competitive seat at the end of a season.

The newspaper said BMW finalized its offer to Alonso earlier this week, but that the former double world champion also turned down Honda's bid, on the grounds that the Japanese team is not likely to be competitive as early as 2009.

"Of course I have to look around at the possibilities for next year that exist outside of Renault," Alonso said in interview with Germany's Sport Bild.

"My priority is Renault, but only if we make a big step forwards with the 2009 car."

He confirmed that he has "three or four" options open to him for 2009, and that it is "no secret" that he has been in talks with Honda's team boss Ross Brawn.
Toro Rosso boss Franz Tost has told a Swiss newspaper that Sebastien Buemi will be signed to make his Formula 1 race debut with the Faenza based team in 2009.

The Swiss teenager this week tested the team's STR3 car at Jerez, as did Takuma Sato, as Toro Rosso looks to replace the Red Bull-bound Sebastian Vettel.

Tost, who admits that Buemi is team part-owner Red Bull's recommended driver for the post, told Le Matin that he was delighted with the youngster's performance in Spain.

"After what we have seen this week, and as long as we manage to find a suitable experienced driver to be next to him, I think we can take the risk to have Sebastien with us in 2009," he said.

"You can take that as an official declaration," Tost added.

The team's Austrian-born boss continued of Buemi: "He is very, very talented, and as we belong to the Red Bull family, we must help to support their drivers."

A race contract with Buemi has not yet been signed because "we are not in a hurry", but Tost indicated that it is only a matter of time.

Sato, the 31-year-old veteran of approaching 100 grands prix, remains an outside chance for a 2009 seat at Toro Rosso, especially while the future of Sebastien Bourdais is unclear.

"If they need me, I would be ready," the Japanese is quoted as saying by Switzerland's Blick newspaper.
What's with all these Sebastians driving for Toro Rosso?
Old 09-19-2008 | 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Give Sato a seat bishes
Old 09-19-2008 | 12:33 PM
Drifting

I think Vettel may regret going with the Renault-powered Red Bull car, especially with how good the STR Ferrari is looking.
Old 09-19-2008 | 01:25 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Nothing he can do, gotta go where the boss man wants him to go.
Old 09-19-2008 | 01:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by F-C
Nothing he can do, gotta go where the boss man wants him to go.
True... I'm hoping he's got a long successful career ahead of him either way.
Old 09-19-2008 | 01:40 PM
6G TLX-S

Stupid him. Button also for several seasons believed that Honda would be competitive the following season too. See how Button has been doing with Honda the past few years. From midpack down to almost bottom-pack.
Old 10-02-2008 | 07:56 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Williams drivers confirmed

Rosberg and Nakajimi have been retained for 2009 at Williams.
Old 10-10-2008 | 09:07 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Honda F1 CEO Nick Fry says that the team is willing to wait as long as it takes for Fernando Alonso to make a decision on where he goes in 2009.

With the BMW drivers now confirmed the double World Champion is facing a straight choice between staying at Renault or moving to Honda, where he will run alongside Jenson Button. The team has not confirmed the Briton because it wants to present a complete lineup.

“It’s not 100% clear what we’re doing because we await the decision of a Spanish twice World Champion,” Fry told SPEEDtv.com. “Ross [Brawn] and I have made no secret of the fact that we admire Fernando’s skills, and we’d like him to join our team. What we want to do is to announce both our drivers at the same time. And that is still our intention. So until Fernando’s situation is clear, then we will just hang on. As long as he decides in time for Friday in Melbourne, we’ll be happy!

“There are of course pressing deadlines, and clearly any driver would like to do a full season’s testing. Hopefully Fernando will make up his mind in the next month or so, and at that time we’ll then make our decision on what we want to do.”

In theory the scenario leaves Rubens Barrichello in a difficult situation. Assuming he is not concealing plans to retire after Brazil, he could find out after the end of the season that he has no job in 2009, and presumably no real prospects of finding a competitive car elsewhere – unless he can convince Flavio Briatore that he is the only logical replacement at Renault. Toro Rosso and Force India are his only other potential options.

“The repercussions go far beyond one other driver,” said Fry. “There’s a line of hopefuls who won’t really know who they are until Fernando makes up his mind as to what he’d like to do. Rubens is clearly one of those. But it affects several others as well.”
Old 10-10-2008 | 02:46 PM
6G TLX-S

If I were Rubens, I would start talking to other F1 teams. Maybe he already did in secrecy.

This move by Nick is the best way to destabilize the Honda team. I guess it doesn't really matters now, when the Honda is currently at last place in the constructor's ranking.
Old 10-13-2008 | 07:56 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Why would any one hire Rubens? He has always been over rated. Now, he is over rated and old.
Old 10-13-2008 | 05:09 PM
6G TLX-S

Now that Alonso has two wins in a row with Renault, I hardly think that he is stupid enough to move to the Honda team which still has no proven track record since becoming 100% Honda.
Old 10-17-2008 | 08:20 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Fisichella and Sutil confirmed for Force India.
Old 10-22-2008 | 05:30 PM
Midnight Marauder

Is it me or does it seem like a complete waste that Alonso isn't in a Ferrari this year? I mean if you put the Ferrari drivers in the Renault I doubt they would have won two races, regardless of luck. On the other hand, put Alonso in the Ferrari, and Hamilton has a legitimate competitor for the championship.
Old 10-22-2008 | 05:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jwong77
Is it me or does it seem like a complete waste that Alonso isn't in a Ferrari this year? I mean if you put the Ferrari drivers in the Renault I doubt they would have won two races, regardless of luck. On the other hand, put Alonso in the Ferrari, and Hamilton has a legitimate competitor for the championship.
Would be nice but i don't see Ferrari replacing either of its drivers right now
Old 11-03-2008 | 10:28 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Honda to test Senna and Rosberg later this month. Sounds like a headline from back in the eighties.
Old 11-03-2008 | 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C
Honda to test Senna and Rosberg later this month. Sounds like a headline from back in the eighties.
Its kinda strange hearing those names, testing..
Old 11-03-2008 | 01:21 PM
Unofficial Goat

it would be great if Honda signed Senna, but they better have a car to support him so they don't piss away the first years of his career
Old 11-04-2008 | 07:56 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Is Senna actually any good? Besides his famous name, I don't know anything about him, except that he is in GP2. He face is remarkably similar to his uncle.
Old 11-05-2008 | 10:20 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Alonso and Piquet confirmed for Renault.

Guess Piquet won't test for Honda now. Dominoes should start falling. Let's see who will Honda pick.
Old 11-07-2008 | 09:48 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Jenson Button has urged his Honda Racing chiefs to stick with Rubens Barrichello next year - as he thinks the team will be better off with two experienced drivers.

Honda have announced in the past few days that they are to test Brazilian youngsters Bruno Senna and Lucas di Grassi at Barcelona in Spain later this month as part of their evaluation process for a future race seat.

And although team CEO Nick Fry says it is important the team evaluate new blood, Button thinks Honda would be better off sticking with the experienced Barrichello for 2009.

When asked at a preview press conference for the Race of Champions whether he felt having two experienced drivers was vital for Honda, Button said: "Yes, definitely, especially with the new regulations.

"There are so many changes aerodynamically with the car, and with the KERS also, and the slick tyres, they will need a lot of feedback from us. And having a new boy in the car, I don't feel that you get as much feedback. But it is not my decision."

Button said that he felt Barrichello - who outqualified him 10 times this season - was in the best shape he had seen this year.

"He has driven better this year, than at any point since he has been with our team," said Button. "This is his best season and he says he is driving better now than he ever has done, and I don't think Rubens lies.

"He tells the truth, which is always good in a teammate, and he has put in some very good performances.

"The last three races have been his best. In the race we have been very similar in pace, but in qualifying he has beaten me in the last three races. He has done a good job."

Despite his feelings about Barrichello, Button believes the team were doing the right thing in trying out Senna and di Grassi

"Well it is interesting for the team and it gives them a chance, which is good for them," he said. "But I think it is important to test inexperienced drivers to see how quick they are because nobody really knows.

"Bruno almost won the GP2 championship, he finished behind Pantano who has been there for 10 years, but he might be astonishingly quick in an F1 car, we don't know."

Button's own deal for next year has not yet been confirmed, although autosport.com understands that provisional agreement about him remaining onboard has been reached.

"Nothing is sorted or signed but the team know how I feel and I think I know how the team feels," said Button. "Hopefully we can sort something out soon."
Well, , Barrichello makes Button look good. We need new blood!
Old 11-07-2008 | 07:53 PM
6G TLX-S

Button is better off to have a teammate he is familiar with, rather than facing one with an unknown potential who may even beat Button if raced together next season. Who would have thought of Hamilton, before him joining F1, to take the 2nd place in the 1st season, and then winning the championship the next ?
Old 11-09-2008 | 01:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by West6MT
I heard about this while watching practice this morning.

Do you think Alonso would agree to go to Honda?
Does RIM provide its new employees with CRACK??? WTF are you thinkin' about Westy?

I don't know what happened but somehow got logged in as "F1 Fan"?
Old 11-09-2008 | 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F1 Fan
Does RIM provide its new employees with CRACK??? WTF are you thinkin' about Westy?

I don't know what happened but somehow got logged in as "F1 Fan"?
It was a question, as in,...........Do you think he would go there,............I dont really think he will,......type of deal.

Lay off the scotch prnt,......nice name
Old 11-25-2008 | 02:27 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Red Bull buys out Berger

Red Bull has bought Gerhard Berger's share of Scuderia Toro Rosso and will once again own 100% of the shares in the Italian-based team, previously known as Minardi.

"I'm very grateful to Gerhard for his enormous input," said Red Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz. "Together we have made Toro Rosso a team which has regularly qualified in the top 10 and collected World Championship points. Red Bull will now run Toro Rosso alone, as well as remaining a partner of Red Bull Logistik."

The drinks company owns 50% of the transport company which belongs to the Berger Family, the other 50% remaining in the hands of Berger Beteiligungs GmbH.

The team scored its first victory this year at Monza with Sebastian Vettel surprising everyone with his pace in the damp conditions. The team has regularly outperformed TRed Bull Racing, which has been using Renault engines, rather than the Ferraris that Toro Rosso has used.

It is not clear why Mateschitz has decided to go down this path. He had previously announced that his stake in the team was for sale but there were no obvious buyers. While there are some who think that Mateschitz is buying the team so as to be able to sell the whole thing, others feel that Berger probably decided to sell when it became obvious that he would need to help fund the operation in 2009. With sponsorship hard to find at the moment, that would have meant dipping into his own personal fortune and that is not something that Berger is likely to have been keen on doing.
Interesting...
Think Mateschitz is using this tactic to transfer the Ferrari engine into the Red Bull team and give Renault to Toro Rosso?
Vettel: "Dietrich, my promotion is kinda like a demotion if I don't have a Ferrari engine."
Old 11-25-2008 | 04:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C
Interesting...
Think Mateschitz is using this tactic to transfer the Ferrari engine into the Red Bull team and give Renault to Toro Rosso?
Vettel: "Dietrich, my promotion is kinda like a demotion if I don't have a Ferrari engine."
Exactly what I was thinking while reading this F-C but it seems too simple to do that doesn't it? I mean, there has to be some sort of agreement that keeps the engines in the chassis they were intended for no?
Old 11-26-2008 | 07:47 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Exactly what I was thinking while reading this F-C but it seems too simple to do that doesn't it? I mean, there has to be some sort of agreement that keeps the engines in the chassis they were intended for no?
It can be done because it already happened once. Red Bull originally used Ferrari until they pushed that engine contract to Toro Rosso and switched to Renault.
Old 11-26-2008 | 05:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-22-2009 | 03:22 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Reports in the Swiss and French press on Thursday suggest Sebastien Bourdais will shortly be confirmed as Toro Rosso's second race driver for the 2009 season.

The 29-year-old Frenchman raced with the Faenza-based team last year, but so far only the Swiss rookie Sebastien Buemi has been confirmed for the forthcoming season.

2009 would therefore be Bourdais' second season in Formula One, following his mixed debut when he finished the 2008 championship with just four points compared with his Red Bull-bound teammate Sebastian Vettel's 35.

It is reported by the Swiss magazine Speedweek, with close links to the team's owner Red Bull, that Toro Rosso selected Bourdais over the other candidate for the seat, Takuma Sato.

The French website sport24.

com speculated that Sato's expected personal sponsorship may have dwindled as the Japanese recession worsens.

Bourdais' manager Nicolas Todt would not confirm the news but insisted that "we are always in negotiations."

Moreover, the official website of the Ferrari-powered team is now showing Bourdais and Buemi as the drivers in the 'team' section.
Poor Sato, good for Bourdais.
Old 02-13-2009 | 09:38 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

According to our sources Bruno Senna has now signed for the Honda Racing F1 team - and an announcement that the team will be going ahead will be made soon. The team is expected to use Mercedes-Benz engines and Senna will be partnered by Jenson Button. Backing for the team - the name of which has yet to be announced - is expected to come from one or two of Senna's personal sponsors. Petrobras has decided not to continue its deal and is withdrawing from F1.

It is not clear when the announcement will be made.

There have been some rumours in recent days that the team may have the backing of none other than Bernie Ecclestone. This would not be a surprise as Ecclestone is keen to make sure that the teams are not unanimous within the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) and having a financial interest in one of them is a good way to ensure that this happens.

It is believed that the majority of the money to run the team will be coming from Honda itself as it is cheaper to pay to keep the team alive than it is to lay off all the staff.
If Honda is paying for most of the operating budget, then why don't they just keep the team.