Papis out

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 03:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Papis out

Max Papis & PK Racing have parted company. Officially, all was nice, nice between them. No announcement of who will take the seat, but much speculation of Mika Salo.

My take is that Max is past his prime and PK is way over their heads. Craig and company thought (from the lofty reaches of F1) that CART was a piece of cake. They've totally misjudged how competitive it is. Max was a better choice for a driver than Lemarie -- still they could have done a lot better.

Why won't any of these teams sign some of the good young guys? It's not like all of them are bring a ton of money, some yes, but not all.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Salo now confirmed for this weekend at Denver.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:19 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah i just saw this on CART.Com. I'm bummed because i thought Max was definitely starting to get more out of the car, 2 9ths and a 4th in the last 3 races. But, maybe Salo was quicker in his testing last week, i hope so. I also heard they may have Puma on board as a sponsor, maybe because of Salo ?? I like Max, i hope he ends up somewhere next year, hopefully Fiitpaldi will go to a 2 car team, Max is involved with his daughter ! I think you will see some younger drivers next year, probably Almindinger and Valiante and possibly Danica Patrick, not because she deserves it but due to sponsorship. CART does have some excellent young drivers already, Bourdais, Manning, Hunter-Reay, Junqueria, Jourdain, and others. They need more Americans !!
Old 08-27-2003, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Red Rider
I think you will see some younger drivers next year, probably Almindinger and Valiante and possibly Danica Patrick, not because she deserves it but due to sponsorship. CART does have some excellent young drivers already, Bourdais, Manning, Hunter-Reay, Junqueria, Jourdain, and others. They need more Americans !!
There are hints that Valiante & Almindinger have deals lined up. Maybe Justis too, if Rusport steps up to Champ Cars. Patrick will get another year of FAtl. according to Rahal. She's not ready anyway. Only a few open seats in F1 -- there's gonna be a raft of F3000 guys looking for rides. Wirdheim if he doesn't get a deal; Pantano; Sperifico; Liuzzi; and several others.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:31 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Starter
There are hints that Valiante & Almindinger have deals lined up. Maybe Justis too, if Rusport steps up to Champ Cars. Patrick will get another year of FAtl. according to Rahal. She's not ready anyway. Only a few open seats in F1 -- there's gonna be a raft of F3000 guys looking for rides. Wirdheim if he doesn't get a deal; Pantano; Sperifico; Liuzzi; and several others.
Good points. Don't forget Fogarty, Rahal just put him in the 2nd Toyota Atlantic car and he's pretty good.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Red Rider
Good points. Don't forget Fogarty, Rahal just put him in the 2nd Toyota Atlantic car and he's pretty good.
Don't know if that is a prelude to next year or not. Almindinger is in a class by himself with Valiante a step behind. Jon is in the next group, which is still pretty good.