OWRS (ex CART) is toast

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004 | 07:22 AM
Burning Brakes

OWRS (ex CART) is toast

Adrian Fernandez left yesterday for the IRL. Many rumors Rahal will announce in the next day or two with Car Russo (Rusport) right behind. Mexican sponsors - Herdez, Corona, mexican Nextel all getting antsy.

There is speculation about why Adrian left. Probably a combination of several causes. 1) Tecate cut its sponsorship and he was pressed for money. At the same time IRL is way short of cars and Honda/Toyota/TG are throwing money at teams to come - Adrian already had a presence there anyway. 2) OWRS principles PG, KK, & GF have REALLY pissed off the small team owners by each signing a pay driver that the other teams needed to field cars (Eric Bachelart is said to be livid over Philippe, whom he was negotiating with) and supposedly Adrian lost a second driver the same way.

Shows over folks, curtain is going down.
Old 03-12-2004 | 11:41 AM
Teh McLovin

I don't know if its done yet. There is still time. I do think, however, Fernandez will got down as another traitor, kind of along the same lines as Michael Andretti.

But then again, I can't blame Adrian, as its business and he's looking out for his team. He wants to race, regardless of whether its all-oval
Old 03-12-2004 | 01:55 PM
Subie Dubie

Re: OWRS (ex CART) is toast

Originally posted by Starter
Adrian Fernandez left yesterday for the IRL. Many rumors Rahal will announce in the next day or two with Car Russo (Rusport) right behind. Mexican sponsors - Herdez, Corona, mexican Nextel all getting antsy.

There is speculation about why Adrian left. Probably a combination of several causes. 1) Tecate cut its sponsorship and he was pressed for money. At the same time IRL is way short of cars and Honda/Toyota/TG are throwing money at teams to come - Adrian already had a presence there anyway. 2) OWRS principles PG, KK, & GF have REALLY pissed off the small team owners by each signing a pay driver that the other teams needed to field cars (Eric Bachelart is said to be livid over Philippe, whom he was negotiating with) and supposedly Adrian lost a second driver the same way.

Shows over folks, curtain is going down.
Adrian lost Tecate because they're tired of seeing him finish 8th. My guess is you're right about Honda, they're trying to prop up the IRL and they really have always had Fernandez to jump when they say so. But seriously, he was supposed to retire soon anyway and he's not that competetive, hell he's not even the best or second best Mexican driver in the series anymore.

The new ownership is in this for the very long run. McDonalds just signed on for 3 years at Newman-Haas, Pacific Care re upped, Nextel at PKVR and many others. This season will be a turnaround season for Champ Car, too bad Fernandez chose $$ over loyalty to the series that made him.
Old 03-12-2004 | 02:01 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by TypeSGearhead
I don't know if its done yet. There is still time. I do think, however, Fernandez will got down as another traitor, kind of along the same lines as Michael Andretti.

But then again, I can't blame Adrian, as its business and he's looking out for his team. He wants to race, regardless of whether its all-oval
Honda made him an offer he couldn't refuse. All to prop up a series with no fans in the stands, no T.V. ratings despite the Indy 500, and about to change the grid to less than 33 at Indy. Talk about a series in trouble, not to mention Toyota will probably go bye, bye after this season. No wonder Honda is pushing it's teams ( Fernandez/ Rahal )
Old 03-18-2004 | 11:50 AM
Subie Dubie

Word is even if Rahal leaves for the Honda $$$, Gigante and Jourdain will stay in Champ Car

So much for Rahals claim of " Doing what's best for the sponsors "
Old 03-20-2004 | 05:53 PM
Subie Dubie

RHR signs with Herdez

Coyne to run 2 cars, one for Firman and probably Michael Keohane.

Justin Wilson to test this week, probably for Walker

Jourdain will probably be 3rd car at NHR

Tecate and TELEX disgusted with Fernandez and will continue to support Champ Car events and may sponsor another team

Carpentier and possibly Servia and Valiante will end up with rides

Salo to Fittipaldi, possibly a second car for Montiero.
Old 03-21-2004 | 04:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Rahal's already gone. CART-R.I.P. and that totally sucks.
Old 03-22-2004 | 02:46 PM
My other car is a 350Z

I'm going to the Long Beach GP in a few weeks - I'll take pics and show ya how un-toast it is.
Old 03-22-2004 | 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by H@mmerm@n
I'm going to the Long Beach GP in a few weeks - I'll take pics and show ya how un-toast it is.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a road racing fan to the core and I hope you're right, but I don't think so.
Old 03-22-2004 | 07:38 PM
My other car is a 350Z

Old 03-23-2004 | 08:27 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Chief F1 Fan
Rahal's already gone. CART-R.I.P. and that totally sucks.
Don't let the door hit him on the ass on the way out !! Let him drive in circles Hell, what did Rahal prove ?? He thought he'd take Honda's $$ and keep Gigante/Jourdain, sorry Groucho, didn't work out !! Tecate is rumored to be on the new car at NHR for Jourdain.

Tony George desperately wanted to put OWRS out of biz, didn't happen !! He knows his own league has more than enough problems like filling the Indy 499, non existant crowds etc. and was hopeful to use Honda backed Fernandez and Rahal to stop this ChampCar season from beginning. Everyone left in OWRS WANTS to be there and with the rumored driver additions, will have an even better field than last year.
Old 03-23-2004 | 08:29 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by H@mmerm@n

Damn you !!!!!

Have fun Bro, wish i was gonna be there !!
Old 03-23-2004 | 08:31 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Starter
Don't get me wrong, I'm a road racing fan to the core and I hope you're right, but I don't think so.
Oh yee of little faith Trust me, the season is ON !!!!!!!!!!

I haven't been wrong yet