New Safety Car Rules

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:23 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,158 Likes on 835 Posts
New Safety Car Rules

These include a number of other important points, notably with the Safety Car.

In future when the Safety Car is deployed no car is allowed to go to pitlane to refuel until all the cars are all lined up behind the Safety Car and the message "PIT LANE OPEN" is shown on the timing monitors. A 10 second time penalty will be imposed on any driver who enters the pit lane and whose car is refuelled before the second message is shown. In some cases it may be worth a team taking such a penalty because the advantage gained will be far greater, but we will have to see if that eventuality ever occurs. If the Safety Car uses the pitlane the cars may not stop until the "PIT LANE OPEN" message appears.

In order to stop gamesmanship behind the Safety Car and avoid possible accidents there is a new rule that states that "any car being driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or which is deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers at any time whilst the safety car is deployed will be reported to the stewards".

There will also be a change to the way a Safety Car period unfolds as there is now a new message which will say "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE" which will mean that all cars running between the leading cars will be allowed to pass the Safety Car and gain back a lost lap. They must "proceed around the track at an appropriate speed, without overtaking" and then rejoin at the back of the field.

Policing this will be interesting as lapped drivers will potentially gain a huge amount with the new rule and are not likely to dawdle.
I hate these rules! They're copying US racing standards. This will improve the spectacle somewhat by bunching cars together and having everyone go into the pits at the same time. However, I never thought that it was a fair way of doing it. Besides, this always punishes the teams that HAVE TO go to the pits because of fuel, but cannot because of the closed pit rule.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F-C
Besides, this always punishes the teams that HAVE TO go to the pits because of fuel, but cannot because of the closed pit rule.
I disagree that it "punishes" anyone. If you get caught out needing to pit for fuel when the safety car rolls, it's just bad luck. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
I dont like those new rules. In fact,....they bloody suck.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:13 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C
I hate these rules! They're copying US racing standards. This will improve the spectacle somewhat by bunching cars together and having everyone go into the pits at the same time. However, I never thought that it was a fair way of doing it. Besides, this always punishes the teams that HAVE TO go to the pits because of fuel, but cannot because of the closed pit rule.
Before, the old rule punishes the teams that have just gone out from the pit after refueling, before the safety car comes out. Now, it's the teams that want to go refueling after the safety car comes out. It's either these teams or those teams. It has always been unfair, and the new rule doesn't change it.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:16 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
is this a general FIA rule? or just for F1?