Notices

NASCAR: News and Discussion Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,792 Likes on 1,539 Posts
Yeah, it was a great weekend, thanks! Biggest race weekend of the year so all our friends and family are there to hang out, eat, drink and watch racing together.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:14 PM
Alright, alright, alright

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,126 Posts
NASCAR CEO Brian France arrested for DWI, oxycodone possession

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ion/914584002/

What a complete hypocrite France is considering how NASCAR has handled some driver's substance abuse problems.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Yes, very true considering what I've heard about his coke loving past (and not from my brother but from a major equipment supplier to NASCAR)
Old 08-13-2018, 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Glen Fly-Over in cockpit for NASCAR race

This is pretty cool:

Old 08-13-2018, 01:37 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 236 Posts
Very cool. Such an awesome plane. Too bad no loop-the-loop.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:00 AM

NASCAR's 2017 Championship-Winning Team Is Shutting Down

NASCAR's 2017 Championship-Winning Team Is Shutting Down

Furniture Row Racing, the Colorado-based NASCAR team that won the Monster Energy Cup championship last year with Martin Truex Jr, will shut down at the end of the 2018 season. In a statement, team owner Barney Visser explained that it's all due to a lack of funding, following the departure of one of the team's largest sponsors, 5-Hour Energy.

"The numbers just donít add up. I would have to borrow money to continue as a competitive team and Iím not going to do that," Visser said. "This was obviously a painful decision to arrive at knowing how it will affect a number of quality and talented people.

"Weíve been aggressively seeking sponsorship to replace 5-hour Energy and to offset the rising costs of continuing a team alliance with Joe Gibbs Racing but havenít had any success. I feel that itís only proper to make the decision at this time to allow all team members to start seeking employment for next year. "
Goes to show how bad it is in NASCAR with money and sponsorship even if you have championship winning team. Brian France and Co wrecked NASCAR in the last two decades.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:39 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Don't see that everyday. I think this is just part of the overall sports landscape. Just feels like that people are watching less sports in general.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:20 AM

^ yeah, I do agree it's partly that but I think the main reason is NASCAR in the late 1990's early 2000's went for a mass market appeal which sorta alienated their traditional southern fans and roots.
Even my cousins who never even paid any attention to NASCAR became fans. It was temporary and the newer fans were more fickle by the 2010's, the newer formate (COT, end of season playoffs,...) pissed off alot of the older fans.
Newer more ritzy tracks had high ticket prices, attendance is down at races, tv attendance starts to drop, then sponsors start to leave.
Recently Lowes and Target are both leaving NASCAR as sponsors. Lowes had a very long and successful association with Hendricks and Jimmie Johnson.
Thank Brian France Jr. and his minions for the slow decline of NASCAR.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Brian may be a part of NASCAR but he has had no hand in running the Monster Energy portion of the company.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:02 AM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL View Post
^ yeah, I do agree it's partly that but I think the main reason is NASCAR in the late 1990's early 2000's went for a mass market appeal which sorta alienated their traditional southern fans and roots.
Even my cousins who never even paid any attention to NASCAR became fans. It was temporary and the newer fans were more fickle by the 2010's, the newer formate (COT, end of season playoffs,...) pissed off alot of the older fans.
Newer more ritzy tracks had high ticket prices, attendance is down at races, tv attendance starts to drop, then sponsors start to leave.
Recently Lowes and Target are both leaving NASCAR as sponsors. Lowes had a very long and successful association with Hendricks and Jimmie Johnson.
Thank Brian France Jr. and his minions for the slow decline of NASCAR.
Not to mention a lot of boring and/or unlikable drivers replacing the older generation.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:04 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

It's much more difficult these days to pick up casual fans who would eventually become die-hards. Back in the day, I'd turn on the tv on the weekend, and I'd get to watch all the racing on probably 2 channels (ABC and ESPN). These days, I need to do research during the week to know which series will be on which channel and at what time. When all these sports leagues started to chase after tv money rather than build a strategy based on developing fans was when sports began to die out. To be honest, I don't think I'd follow much of any sport these days if I started now.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan View Post
Brian may be a part of NASCAR but he has had no hand in running the Monster Energy portion of the company.
Brian became CEO of NASCAR in 2003 and directed the changes that have affected Winston/Nextel/Monster Cup since then (Chase, COT, Nextel deal, Monster deal, NBC deal, track expansions...).
Some made sense (getting out of Winston tobacco sponsorship) but many older fans felt the series alienated them with the other changes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_...#CEO_of_NASCAR

Originally Posted by Scottman111 View Post
Not to mention a lot of boring and/or unlikable drivers replacing the older generation.
I got mixed feelings on some of the later generation drivers, I marvel at Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson at their ability to apply their unique strategy and tactics. But Alan Kulwicki was doing that in the 80's as well.
One of the amusing things about Gordon is that even though there was this on track rivalry with Dale Earnhardt and trash talk from him. Behind the scenes they actually talked about business and investments.
Made for good PR I guess.

Still I agree there was something special about the 70's and 80's NASCAR drivers and their attitude, grit and approach to racing.
I read a Alan Kulwicki biography recently and was truly amazed how low budget and underdog his team were (UnderBird was his moniker on his Ford Thunderbird).
He was a college educated mechanical engineer and he sorta started the modern analytical approach to NASCAR today.

Heck even Kulwicki's attractive radio DJ girlfriend Marilyn Mee (below) would help out cleaning engine parts in a degreasing washer after races.

I can't imagine any g/f or wife of a current NASCAR driver cleaning pistons, rods and such after a race.
NASCAR became big business in the 90's and that continues today.

I'm also a Polish engineer so that's also why I like Kulwicki

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-06-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:09 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Legend2TL View Post

sponsored by duct tape
Old 09-07-2018, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Founder of COTA: No problem co-existing with Texas Motor Speedway, but don't expect NASCAR race -- for now

The Circuit of the Americas and Texas Motor Speedway sit three hours apart, and while they both are auto racing venues, not everyone has viewed their coexistence through the lens that a rising tide lifts all boats.

But it appears there is some hope. Starting in 2019, COTA in Austin and TMS in Fort Worth will both host IndyCar Series events.

COTA, a 3.41-mile purpose-built road course that already has Formula One and MotoGP (motorcycle) events, will have its first IndyCar event March 24.

"We don't know how much we will draw from the Dallas-Fort Worth area, but we don't need to rely on DFW in order to exist," COTA founder Bobby Epstein said Tuesday afternoon. "It just enhances success."

The deal only took a few weeks to put together after TMS negotiated a four-year deal with IndyCar that eliminated a non-compete radius that previously had kept IndyCar from racing at COTA. IndyCar reduced its sanction fee for TMS for that non-compete concession.

"It's not that we haven't all flirted with the idea for three or four years, but we thought they needed to work out their situation with Texas Motor Speedway and then we'd be willing to talk to them," Epstein said.

"We wanted them to clear that first and make sure they were able to even have a meaningful conversation. When they came back to us a couple of weeks ago and said they worked something out, things started in earnest."

The COTA race will be more than two months before the TMS race, which is scheduled for June 9.

"I'm surprised that they actually had that big of a radius clause because I don't think the two would be anything but complementary," Epstein said. "Especially spread this many months apart, they're just different events and they're complementary and there's really no reason for them not to both exist."

The NASCAR spring weekend at TMS comes the week following IndyCar at COTA.

"We welcome COTA to the IndyCar Series and congratulate them on adding this event," TMS president Eddie Gossage said in a statement. "I expect they will draw a huge crowd to their first race and that will be good for the sport."

Gossage wasn't as thrilled when hearing last week that Formula One's schedule has its race in Austin on Nov. 3, the same day the NASCAR Cup Series will have a playoff race at TMS.

"Shame on Formula One for doing this to the fans," Gossage said. "Fans have recognized this as the NASCAR date on this weekend since its inception long before Circuit of the Americas was built.

"I would think a lot of fans -- myself included -- would enjoy going to both races. Now Formula One is making fans choose only one. Yet another bad call by Formula 1 showing their infamous indifference toward the fans."

Epstein wasn't as concerned, believing the crossover between the two crowds is minimal.

"I don't think it's as big a deal," Epstein said.

Now that he has an IndyCar race, any chance of NASCAR coming to COTA?

"That's a question for NASCAR," Epstein said. "We want to add carefully and slowly. We spent six years of getting the MotoGP and the Formula One race where they really do well and they work. We want to focus on the IndyCar race [as the new addition] for at least a couple of years."
Old 11-13-2018, 06:56 AM

NASCAR legend David Pearson dies at age of 83

Old 06-01-2019, 12:25 PM

Hailie Deegan makes late pass to win Las Vegas K&N West opener

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar/ne...pener/4345917/

easy on the eyes and probably less polarizing than Danica, maybe she'll get a drive in the NASCAR Xfinity Series

Last edited by Legend2TL; 06-01-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:02 AM
~HondaF1~

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
Yea she's cute!

I'll change the way i describe her in about a month................................
Old 06-18-2019, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,221 Posts
https://jalopnik.com/nascar-takes-aw...cad-1835585025

In NASCAR, teams know they have to cheat to win, and do. But NASCAR decided to reel in its “culture” of cheating this year by throwing out a long-established mindset of not revoking wins from cheating race cars, and for the first time in decades, it happened. NASCAR overturned a victory after the race.

The sanctioning body made an example of driver Ross Chastain’s No. 44 team after the rain-delayed Truck Series race at Iowa Speedway on Sunday, announcing soon after the 200-mile race ended that its dominant driver, Chastain, was disqualified for failing post-race technical inspection.

This is a big one. NASCAR’s records show the last winner to be disqualified, at least in its top Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, came in 1960. (The most recent Cup Series disqualification in general was 1973.)

Chastain’s truck, NASCAR’s announcement said, was way too low in the front:

“Basically we have a procedure and rules in place, trucks are restricted on their ride heights, the front and the rear of the vehicles,” said NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series Managing Director Brad Moran, who spoke to media to explain the decision.

“Unfortunately the 44 (truck) was low on the front — extremely low. We have a process of what happens at that point. They do get an opportunity to roll around. They put fuel in the vehicle. They put air the tires.”

Then, Moran added, officials wait at least 5-10 minutes to inspect the car again, but that re-inspection failed to help Chastain’s team. “Unfortunately, the 44 did not rise on the front at all,” Moran said.
The team is appealing the penalty “in an expedited process,” NASCAR said, and the team itself
that it believes race damage left the truck too low.

The DQ gave second-place finisher and 2018 series champion Brett Moffitt the victory, and dropped Chastain to last in the finishing order.

NASCAR’s tried everything to avoid physically taking a trophy away and giving it to another driver, until it announced this year that it would finally disqualify cheating teams. There were workarounds to still punish teams for cheating, like “encumbered” finishesand taking away all of the benefits of a winbut keeping the “winning” driver’s name on a trophy and at the top of the results sheet.

For anyone who’s followed NASCAR between roughly 1973 and now, though, it’s almost hard to believe a driver actually got disqualified. Teams readily admit that cheating, no matter how big or small, is part of the deal. NASCAR has long stuck to its mentality that people attending a race “should go home having seen the winner”—an idea that’s become antiquated as news has become more instant, and less about reading the headlines in the next day’s paper.