MotoGP: News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 07:09 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,498 Posts
^ +1, impressive rider with amazing stats and icon no doubt, but his 2015 antics made him look like a jerk as well.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
^ +1, impressive rider with amazing stats and icon no doubt, but his 2015 antics made him look like a jerk as well.
Do any of you guys race or know racers? I do. They are all cocky jerks, even the ones I like. Name a top racer that hasn't had a jerky stretch when things weren't going their way. Maybe SuperSic? It is easier to name the ones who have had famous temper tantrums or rolling bad attitudes when they weren't performing.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by TrackDayRdr
Do any of you guys race or know racers? I do. They are all cocky jerks, even the ones I like. Name a top racer that hasn't had a jerky stretch when things weren't going their way. Maybe SuperSic? It is easier to name the ones who have had famous temper tantrums or rolling bad attitudes when they weren't performing.
Know a few including a SCCA instructor (who races a pair of Shelby Mustangs 1965/66).
As for MotoGP, Pedrosa is a great example of a introverted racer which most who know him have positive attributes about his personality.
Not every rider is a Carl Fogerty or Max Biaggi, some are quite pleasant.
My SCCA instructor friend spent a afternoon racing against Doug Polan (2 time WSB chanpion who was retired) around a private dirt flat track about a decade ago in Maryland.
Said he was very down to earth, nice guy.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:42 AM
Instructor

As for MotoGP, Pedrosa is a great example of a introverted racer which most who know him have positive attributes about his personality.
Pedro had plenty to say after he punted Hayden off the track, most of which seemed encouraged by his manager. Super Sic was my favorite, but so much for that story.

Not every rider is a Carl Fogerty or Max Biaggi, some are quite pleasant.
Or a Rossi
Or a Gibernau
Or a Lorenzo kicking his Ducati over
Or a bitchy Schwantz
Or a Mad Max Biaggi
Or always angry Matt Mladin
Or a "lactose intolerant" Casey Stoner

My SCCA instructor friend spent a afternoon racing against Doug Polan (2 time WSB chanpion who was retired) around a private dirt flat track about a decade ago in Maryland.
Said he was very down to earth, nice guy.
Probably was, but at that point his racing days were well behind him and the heat was off. I'm talking about these guys at the tip of their own spears.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:27 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,065 Likes on 765 Posts
I get that racers need to have a certain ego or aggressiveness to succeed, but that's different to being a plain jerk. His attitude towards Gibernau is what pushed me away from him back in 2004. I don't get why he has to play so many mind games or politics when he is so gifted.

To his credit, he made up with Sete a few years back.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by F-C
I get that racers need to have a certain ego or aggressiveness to succeed, but that's different to being a plain jerk. His attitude towards Gibernau is what pushed me away from him back in 2004. I don't get why he has to play so many mind games or politics when he is so gifted.
Did you see "Faster"? All of this was explained there. The smack talk and getting into people's heads was part of his game, and it was a good one. Personally I loved watching him work his way into someone's psyche then defeat them physically on the track.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:33 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Like I said, I get that, but it turns people off. At least it does for me.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by F-C
You must be the only one - Rossi is awful popular. HA HA!
Old 05-11-2017, 01:01 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

lemmings!
Old 05-11-2017, 02:05 PM
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
Did you see "Faster"?
Hitting the Apex is available on Amazon Prime now. It came out in 2015.

They're planning to keep Rossi around after he retires. Supposedly, Dorna will create at least one slot for a Rossi managed Moto GP team no matter how many bikes are on the grid. He already has VR46 teams in Moto 2 and 3.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:54 PM
AZ Community Team

Pedro had plenty to say after he punted Hayden off the track, most of which seemed encouraged by his manager. Super Sic was my favorite, but so much for that story.
Hayden and Pedrosa talked through that that incident at the time, and it's in the past.
It was a racing accident in his first MotoGP season and if Honda HRC woulda thought different I extremely doubt they would have signed Dani multiple times to another 11 seasons with Repsol Honda factory team.

Or a Rossi
Or a Gibernau
Or a Lorenzo kicking his Ducati over
Or a bitchy Schwantz
Or a Mad Max Biaggi
Or always angry Matt Mladin
Or a "lactose intolerant" Casey Stoner
You could add Roberts Sr. to the list as well (Jr. is suring him now

Stoner is a fairly sensitive Aussie from what I've seen and read.
Hellva rider esspecially when he won the championship for Ducati.

Adding to the fairly normal/nice category are Gardner, Doohan (although he seemed to get into a bit of trouble post retirement), Hailwood, Marquez, Pedrosa,...
IIRC though Lawson was aggressive on track but friendly off it as well.
Not everyone is a ego-manic jerk in racing.

Probably was, but at that point his racing days were well behind him and the heat was off. I'm talking about these guys at the tip of their own spears.
Neither you nor I know for sure if he was a jerk in his racing days. My friend said he was the equivalent to Rick Mears in being laid back and low-key.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 05-11-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:02 PM
AZ Community Team

Did you see "Faster"? All of this was explained there. The smack talk and getting into people's heads was part of his game, and it was a good one. Personally I loved watching him work his way into someone's psyche then defeat them physically on the track.
Rossi's head games may have worked on Gibernau and Biaggi, but did nothing on Lorenzo and Marquez.

Originally Posted by F-C
+1, I get the whole marketing and media campaign from Rossi and it's part of the entertainment.
I'd prefer the sporting side when it translates into results, he hasn't won a championship since 2009.
Marquez and Jorge has won three championships each since 2009.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:45 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Can't believe that Marquez crashed out. That's his 4th crash this year? Seems like he's riding on the limit too much.

At least Rossi also took himself off at the end.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by F-C
Can't believe that Marquez crashed out. That's his 4th crash this year? Seems like he's riding on the limit too much.
I am surprised he doesn't crash more often. Breaking late and sliding into corners like he does. He needs to be more consistent and accept 5th place or worse finishes. 11 points are better than 0.

Michelin is bringing another harder option front tire to Mugello. Rossi, Marquez, and others have been complaining about a lack of feeling from the current version. Maybe there will be fewer crashes.

MotoGP to revert to late-2016 Michelin front tyre from Mugello - MotoGP - Autosport
Old 06-05-2017, 01:20 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Great win by Dovi in Mugello. That Ducati has some power in it.

Dovi's win highlights even more the disappearance of Lorenzo.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by F-C
Great win by Dovi in Mugello. That Ducati has some power in it.
A well deserved win for Dovi.

What a horrible weekend for Honda. Marquez struggled and Pedrosa took out Crutchlow on the last lap.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:45 AM
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 115 Posts
Personally the season is going great with lots of different winners. I think Michelin is doing a great job with the tires if the goal is entertaining races and not knowing certain bikes will be the ones in the top 3 every week.

I hope the Aprilias and KTM can keep improving. I hope Honda can find their way back to the front. I hope Ducati can take this momentum and keep running up front. I hope Zarco, Folger, Pertux and Cructhlow can keep showing that non-factory teams can be competitive if conditions are right.

The Moto2 and Moto3 races were excellent. I want more! Well, the next race is only a few days away now!
Old 06-15-2017, 07:51 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

What a weird season. Yamaha looked good a one point, then Honda, now Ducati. I don't think there are any clear favorites anymore.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:14 AM
AZ Community Team

^ +1, really enjoyable in some ways, confusing in others. The tire situation does seem to be playing a big role this year. Marquez crashed four times in practice last weekend.

In the twilight of his career, I'm enjoying seeing Pedrosa have a competitive year with being on pole last weekend and within a 4 points of Marquez.
Also good to see old (Rossi, Pedrosa), , new (Zarco, Maverick), and midcareer riders (Marquez, Lorenzo, Dovizioso) in the top,
It's good for the sport and fans, Dorna/FIM have done a good job.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 06-15-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:43 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by F-C
What a weird season. Yamaha looked good a one point, then Honda, now Ducati. I don't think there are any clear favorites anymore.
I thought it was strange that both Tech 3 satellite Yamaha riders beat Rossi and Vinales. It sounds like the Tech 3 team is still using last year's chassis, which Rossi said is easier to turn and may stress the tires less than the 2017 version?

I wonder how much longer Suzuki is going to keep Iannone around. I bet they regret choosing him and letting Zarco slip away.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:39 AM
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 115 Posts
This is definitely an interesting season. A lot will depend on the weather. If it stays hot and/or slippery look for the Ducs to do well, but don't count Yamaha and Rossi out. He has proven himself to be quite adaptable over the years. Vinales could certainly still take the title. It appears he may have learned when it isn't your day to just take the points available. Also you can never discount Marquez's speed or Danny's consistency. Throw a Crashlow, Zarco and Folger into the mix and it gets more fun. Add rain and who knows what will happen as we saw last year.

Whatever happens it should be fun!
Old 06-30-2017, 06:06 AM
Instructor

Great season is an understatement! I never enjoyed someone peeling off from the start with the real race being for 2nd/3rd.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:22 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Who'd have thought that Marquez would be leading at the halfway point after the first few races. What a wild and unpredictable season so far.

Thoughts at the halfway point:
  • On average, Marquez appears to be the most consistent at finding speed. As long as he doesn't take himself out, he should be the favorite.
  • Dovizioso taming the Ducati is the biggest surprise to me this year. Stepping up big time.
  • Lorenzo, the mystery disappearance man. His form is shocking when you compare him with Dovizioso.
  • Rossi and Pedrosa seemed to have found some new life this year. Still too inconsistent though.
  • Vinales is slowly disappearing from contention. Loss of confidence?
Old 07-06-2017, 08:35 AM
AZ Community Team

^ +1 agree with those thoughts with the slight exception, that I think Maverick is just going through a mid-season slump of bad luck and circumstances.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:30 PM
Pro

I am not surprised by Lorenzo's struggles. Ducati picked the wrong rider. If they really wanted to win the championship, then they should have gone after Marquez.

Dovi is doing well. I hope he stays in contention for the championship.

The Tech 3 rookies are impressive so far. Folger was really pushing Marquez in the last race.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:40 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
The Ducati bikes are simply not as good as the Honda's and the Yamaha's, no matter who is sitting on top of them.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:12 AM
AZ Community Team

^ The rare exception is 2007, Stoner won 10 out of 18 races and the motoGP championship, he was runner up the following year. It showed me what a great rider Casey is.
Other than that bright period, it's been pretty dark over at Ducatti.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:04 AM
AZ Community Team

What a classic finish to today's race, fair and epic battle.
1st race I've watched live all years.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:10 PM
Pro

I thought Marquez would end up in the gravel. It was a great battle with Dovi.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:20 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Great battle between Dovi and Marquez. An instant classic.

How in the world is Marquez able to stay on that bike? His bike was sliding in almost every heavy breaking zone.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:32 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Marquez is highly talented in motorbike racing. This is what makes him the multiple-year MotoGP champion.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:09 AM
AZ Community Team

Not as exciting as last race but Dovizioso is tearing up the tracks.
He's really come into his own this season as he has totally out-shown Lorenzo, beating him in 11 of 12 races so far this year.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:21 AM
Pro

Tough luck for Marquez. When was the last time a Honda engine failed?

It will be funny if Dovi wins the championship. Lorenzo is the one getting paid tons of money. Dovi should renegotiate his contract.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:53 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Rossi breaks his leg after a motocross event. Injury appears serious and he is going for surgery.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:28 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsp...431098e3da8bc3

CAL Crutchlow has sympathy for circuits that host Formula 1 and MotoGP races, following complaints from riders about the condition of the Silverstone track surface.

MotoGP riders have been pushing for certain circuits to be resurfaced to make them smoother to ride on, with F1 tracks including Austin, Barcelona, the Red Bull Ring and Silverstone among those in the firing line.

It is felt that the increased forces generated by this year’s faster breed of F1 cars means they are having even more of an effect on the track surfaces, causing rippling in braking zones, and effectively pushing the asphalt across the surface in fast corners where they are generating the most downforce.

“With the downforce of these Formula 1 cars … Spielberg was a joke,” Crutchlow said.

“You can’t imagine, even on the straight the thing was vibrating and bouncing.

“It was worse than last year, and on a lot of the off-camber corners it was a lot worse, so it means the tarmac’s been pushed because of the cars.

“They’ve resurfaced a couple of corners here [Silverstone] and they were a lot better, so how about we resurface the whole track? It’d be a lot easier for all of us.

“The problem is that wherever we share a track with F1, the tracks are bumpy within a year [of being resurfaced], so I understand the concerns of the organisers.”

Factory Honda riders Marc Marquez and Dani Pedrosa said they will continue to ask for the circuit to be resurfaced, with Marquez saying he made the same requests last year.

“We have more bumps compared to last year, it’s a bumpy track, and again we will ask to re-asphalt all the circuit because it’s one of the worst on the calendar,” he said.

“Silverstone is a great track but for the future, I remember last year asking, if we continue here, to resurface because it’s really bumpy.”

Pedrosa added: “We have the problem that we race with Formula 1 also [on some tracks]. It’s necessary to resurface, we were discussing that.

“But we don’t know how long it will last with a good surface, because we still share the track with Formula 1.”

Valentino Rossi said that patching up certain parts of the circuit causes its own problems, as the joins between various surfaces can be troublesome to ride over.

“For me Silverstone is not a lot worse than last year,” he said.

“The cars of Formula 1 damage the track but also here you have a lot of different asphalt and the cut [between the surfaces] is in the middle of the corner, so for that reason it is more difficult.

“You need to have an easy bike on the bumps but at the same time with high performance, and to find that balance is not easy.”
Old 09-12-2017, 05:24 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

A lesser man would have settled for the points in that wet Misano race. That's why Marquez will win the championship this year.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:33 AM
AZ Community Team

^
Old 09-13-2017, 10:32 AM
Pro

I think Marquez has crashed 20 times this season, although only 2 were in races. Twenty crashes are probably more than he had all last season and there are still 5 races to go. Marquez's ability to shake off all of those crashes and not let them affect his confidence is very impressive. I agree that he is the strongest contender. That said, his penchant for crashing gives Dovi and Vinales a shot at the title.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:15 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SlowLane
I think Marquez has crashed 20 times this season, although only 2 were in races. Twenty crashes are probably more than he had all last season and there are still 5 races to go. Marquez's ability to shake off all of those crashes and not let them affect his confidence is very impressive. I agree that he is the strongest contender. That said, his penchant for crashing gives Dovi and Vinales a shot at the title.
The Honda is clearly not as strong as last year, so Marquez is really on the edge at every race. I think he crashed three times at Misano, but he was still able to go for the win in the wet race. In the past, he probably would have crashed in the race as well.

I don't think Vinales is a factor anymore this year. It's like he's lost that confidence he had at the beginning. It's a two rider fight between Marquez and Dovi.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:58 AM
AZ Community Team

Rossi finished 5th today at Aragon

I was definitely impressed, just 24 days after breaking his leg in two places.

Quick Reply: MotoGP: News and Discussion Thread