MotoGP: News and Discussion Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
HOLY FK!!!!!!!! Lorenzo!!!! One hell of a last lap today. AMAZING!

If you don't have the MotoGP Videopass you need to buy it.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:31 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,064 Likes on 764 Posts
Dang. Honda needs to improve on it's power. Amazing ride by Marquez.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Iannone... He needs to change his nic from "The Maniac" to "What if...?".
Old 05-24-2016, 03:27 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C
Dang. Honda needs to improve on it's power. Amazing ride by Marquez.
Not easy, unless Honda is able to change the software inside the standardized engine controller, which is forbidden now in MotoGP.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:37 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,740 Likes on 800 Posts
It's amazing that Marquez continues to get on the podium, as the Ducatis and Yamahas are certainly faster than the Honda. I think that is a testament to how good Marquez is.

Suzuki is looking good this year too!
Old 06-01-2016, 12:30 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,018 Likes on 2,496 Posts
^ I'm wondering what has happened to Honda's RC213V V4? A few years ago it was the most powerful engine in MotoGP, but the final turn and front straight showed Yamaha's M1 to be more powerful as Lorenzo pulled away at the finish. Not always having the best chassis, but Honda has typically had the best/most powerful motor in MotoGP going back decades.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Everything changes in MotoGP. Look at Ducati. That bike was junk through the Rossi years despite his best efforts. Now it's a contender.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:23 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
^ I'm wondering what has happened to Honda's RC213V V4? A few years ago it was the most powerful engine in MotoGP, but the final turn and front straight showed Yamaha's M1 to be more powerful as Lorenzo pulled away at the finish. Not always having the best chassis, but Honda has typically had the best/most powerful motor in MotoGP going back decades.
I think Edward is correct. It has to do with the standard ECM that all the teams have to use now. If you recall, Ducati went to the standard ECM last year, so they have more experience with it than Honda and Yamaha.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:53 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by F-C
I think Edward is correct. It has to do with the standard ECM that all the teams have to use now. If you recall, Ducati went to the standard ECM last year, so they have more experience with it than Honda and Yamaha.
The ECM is just the electronic/computer control module. Think of it as a fancy computer, however the code/mapping for Honda vs. Ducati vs. Yamaha is not the same. Per the new rules, a Honda mapping must be available for all Honda teams, so no preferential treatment.

But this is just the ignition and fuel management control for the motor, the motor itself is a unique to each manufacturer. So the Honda V4 is nothing like the Yamaha inline 4. Honda's motors in the past have been typically the best in terms of power, sometimes not the easiest powerbands. Honda also excels in exotic and sometimes unique surface treatments of the friction components (pistons, rods, bearing, cams, valves). They've used ceramic and molybdenum/carbon treatments to get the friction down and increase power. Add in using RC211V V5 (now V4) motors, which provided more power but the similar fuel efficiency of the competition.

So it's a little unusual to see Yamaha outpower them on the straight. Then again both Rossi and Lorenzo both had their Yamaha motors fail so perhaps they've redesigned the M1 motor so it's more powerful but more fragile?
Old 06-02-2016, 09:12 AM
Rooting for Acura

Let's not forget about track setup. Some bikes do better setting up for certain tracks. If it were all about the fastest bike Ducati would win every race.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:35 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Honda Is Struggling with the Spec ECU Software

Click above for the struggles Honda has with the ECU. The main nugget:

"Honda overhauled their engine for 2016, going for a different crankshaft but were unable to test the new software fully. Making things worse is the fact that the spec software has significantly fewer control points and is simpler, more standardized. This, in turn, means that Honda's engineers have fewer tools to compensate the engine imperfections, even in key points, such as traction control, as Pedrosa tells autosport.

And with Honda's engines frozen until the end of the season, it looks like the only hope lies with the riders to try and adapt to how the bikes react, and with the engineers who need to learn as much as possible about the spec software as soon as possible. A thing Honda should have done ever since the future of the spec software became a certainty.
"
Old 06-02-2016, 09:59 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by F-C
Honda Is Struggling with the Spec ECU Software

Click above for the struggles Honda has with the ECU. The main nugget:

"Honda overhauled their engine for 2016, going for a different crankshaft but were unable to test the new software fully. Making things worse is the fact that the spec software has significantly fewer control points and is simpler, more standardized. This, in turn, means that Honda's engineers have fewer tools to compensate the engine imperfections, even in key points, such as traction control, as Pedrosa tells autosport.

And with Honda's engines frozen until the end of the season, it looks like the only hope lies with the riders to try and adapt to how the bikes react, and with the engineers who need to learn as much as possible about the spec software as soon as possible. A thing Honda should have done ever since the future of the spec software became a certainty.
"
, interesting they are limited with the S/W which sounds sorta like a Ardunio where you're limited to the H/W and S/W (instruction language).
Old 06-02-2016, 03:56 PM
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
Next season's grid continues to shape up.

Marquez and Honda finally agreed to a new contract.

Marquez remains with Honda

KTM ended up with both Tech 3 riders. Pol Espargaro announced that he is leaving Yamaha/Tech 3 for KTM's factory team.

Pol Espargaro to KTM

During the press conference big brother Aleix Espargaro said it is unlikely that he will be with Suzuki next year.

That would leave 2 open factory spots. One on Suzuki and one on Aprilia.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:49 AM
AZ Community Team

sad race weekend

RIP

Old 06-05-2016, 10:55 AM
Instructor

I heart MotoGP videopass!! What a race today...
Old 06-05-2016, 02:03 PM
Pro

Sad weekend indeed.

Iannone should change his nickname from "The Maniac Joe" to "Torpedo Joe". I feel bad for Lorenzo . It was a great race.

Check out the post-qualifying press conference and go to 30:10 for an angry response from Johann Zarco. It was a legitimate question, but way too blunt given the atmosphere surrounding Salom's death.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:58 PM
Rooting for Acura

What a great day of racing!! Watching Marquez pushing his bike to the limits never gets old. He is so exciting to watch. I really do hope that things are genuinely warming between him and Rossi. As for Iannone, he has a reputation now and that won't be good for him at least for the remainder of this season. He'll have to take it easy.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:15 PM
Instructor

I'm curious to see what race direction says about Torpedo Joe.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by TrackDayRdr
I'm curious to see what race direction says about Torpedo Joe.
Me too. My call is it was a race incident. It looked bad but not malicious. Just stupid to think that he could come in so hot and gain position before the door closed.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:09 PM
Instructor

Certainly not malicious at all, but an amateur mistake made in the company of top tier professionals. Especially the Spanish who's most stoic seem to rise to and represent the top of the charts (Maq and Vin are the obvious rogues). It's not like Iannone hasn't been in this position before. Those kinds of mistakes are what get people killed and even though it was an accident I'm guessing some kind of action will be placed to make a point.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by knight rider
Me too. My call is it was a race incident. It looked bad but not malicious. Just stupid to think that he could come in so hot and gain position before the door closed.
Supposedly, Iannone did get penalized. He will have to start from the back of the grid at the next race in Assen.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:29 PM
Rooting for Acura

Certainly not malicious at all, but an amateur mistake made in the company of top tier professionals. Especially the Spanish who's most stoic seem to rise to and represent the top of the charts (Maq and Vin are the obvious rogues). It's not like Iannone hasn't been in this position before. Those kinds of mistakes are what get people killed and even though it was an accident I'm guessing some kind of action will be placed to make a point.
That right there is the kicker.

Originally Posted by SlowLane
Supposedly, Iannone did get penalized. He will have to start from the back of the grid at the next race in Assen.
I can certainly see how that judgement was made. Now he'll have about 16-18 more riders to smash into on his way up through the field.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:59 AM
AZ Community Team

What a great day of racing!! Watching Marquez pushing his bike to the limits never gets old. He is so exciting to watch. I really do hope that things are genuinely warming between him and Rossi. As for Iannone, he has a reputation now and that won't be good for him at least for the remainder of this season. He'll have to take it easy.
+1, Rossi made some comments about Marquez wanting the safety changes to the track to suite the Honda bike on Saturday, but yes it would be good to put all this drama behind. Rossi and Marquez both rode great races on Sunday, good for the sport.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:38 PM
Rooting for Acura

Iannone's side of the story

Source: Poll: Did Andrea Iannone Make an Honest Mistake or Is He Plain Ol' Reckless | Cycle World

Andrea Iannone ran into the back of Jorge Lorenzo at the entrance of turn 10 this past weekend at Catalunya. Both riders ended up on the ground, the Yamaha rider walking away with a hard-to-swallow DNF and subsequently falling from the top of the points standings. The question is, was it an honest mistake or an example of Iannone riding recklessly?

Before you answer, consider that Iannone suggests he wasn't trying to outbrake Lorenzo and didn't in any way change his approach to the corner. He claims that telemetry pulled from the bike proves he braked at the same exact point as the lap before, and that there was no way to anticipate Lorenzo being so slow at the entrance of the corner.

The argument race direction and others have made, is that Iannone should have been paying closer attention to the rider in front of him and been able to avoid the situation. They also point back to Iannone's incident earlier this year in Argentina, when he came into contact with his teammate, Andrea Dovizioso, and took them both out of the race on the final lap.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:53 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

It's always the responsibility of the one behind to make sure they don't run into the person in front, no matter how slow they are going.

Good ride by Rossi, but wow, hats off again to Marquez. That was some riding on a bucking bronco.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:49 PM
AZ Community Team

Fernando's special tribute to the late motorcycle racer, Luis Salom

Old 06-10-2016, 03:56 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Very nice gesture. Maybe he will auction the helmet and donate the proceeds to the family.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:46 AM
AZ Community Team

Finally got around to watching it, it was a great race. Clean at the limit racing by Maquez and Rossi, they both had amazing bike control.
Never ceases to amaze me how much Marquez can ride at 10/10 lap after lap, with the bike skittish and jittery all over the place under braking and turns.
Also good for Dani getting on podium, there are three MotoGP tier groups: 1 - Rossi, Marquz, Lorenzo, 2 - Dani, 3 - the rest
Iannone got what he deserved in punishment, it was a pretty ridiculous move, especially when viewed from his in-bike camera POV.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:01 AM
Instructor

It's not Marqz's bike, it's Marqz's riding style at 10/10ths. Pedrosa's bike isn't moving around under him because he's not riding the wheels off of it. Speaking of Pedrosa...meh...if he wasn't on a factory ride he would be dicing with Aleix Espargaro. You overlooked Maverick for Pedrosa? You must be eating pot laced crab cakes down there.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:27 AM
AZ Community Team

It's not Marqz's bike, it's Marqz's riding style at 10/10ths. Pedrosa's bike isn't moving around under him because he's not riding the wheels off of it. Speaking of Pedrosa...meh...if he wasn't on a factory ride he would be dicing with Aleix Espargaro. You overlooked Maverick for Pedrosa? You must be eating pot laced crab cakes down there.
Not sure if Marquez and Pedrosi use the same setup suspension wise on their bikes.

Meh, you happen to like Hayden.
I like to let the results speak for themselves

Hayden 3 wins in 216 starts, mostly with factory rides (HRC revered Nicky). In MotoGp championships, he's placed 1st once, 3rd once, and rest 5th or worst.
Pedronsi 28 wins in in 166 starts. In MotoGP championships he's placed 2nd three times, 3rd three times, 4th times.

May not be charismatic or flamboyant, but Dani gets the job done consistently although I doubt at this stage in his career he'll ever become world champion.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 06-13-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:22 AM
Instructor

You might be mistaking me for someone else. I like Hayden as a representative of the US in foreign races, and the kid seems to have a great personality for TV, but I am well aware of his presence at Honda as a legacy rider good for development, the same way as Pedrosa is, although Pedrosa certainly has a more consistent record than Hayden. Ducati scooped up Hayden solely for development and marketing purposes. Hayden never won a race on a Ducati yet he had a commemorative superbike built and sold for him by Ducati, but Capirossi got a 620 Monster done for him.

Dani is only in forth thanks to Torpedo Joe's successful U-boat campaign against the podium finishers.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:38 AM
AZ Community Team

You might be mistaking me for someone else. I like Hayden as a representative of the US in foreign races, and the kid seems to have a great personality for TV, but I am well aware of his presence at Honda as a legacy rider good for development, the same way as Pedrosa is, although Pedrosa certainly has a more consistent record than Hayden. Ducati scooped up Hayden solely for development and marketing purposes. Hayden never won a race on a Ducati yet he had a commemorative superbike built and sold for him by Ducati, but Capirossi got a 620 Monster done for him.

Dani is only in forth thanks to Torpedo Joe's successful U-boat campaign against the podium finishers.
Dani is 4th due his consistent riding skills, plain and simple,

His results speak for themselves, his worst placing is one 5th, with the rest being three 2nd's, 3rd's, and 4th's apiece in MotoGP championships.

Despite his small stature, quiet nature, many injuries and crashes, he gets the job done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dani_Pedrosa#By_Seasons

​We agree to disagree.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 06-14-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Dani is 4th due his consistent riding skills, plain and simple,
His results speak for themselves, his worst placing is one 5th, with the rest being three 2nd's, 3rd's, and 4th's apiece in MotoGP championships.
He was a better rider when he was younger and was the original Iannone running into Hayden. My comments are mostly focused on the past couple of seasons, the 2016 in particular where his consistent placings near the top have as much to do with Iannone taking out himself plus one or two others as with Pedrosa's own skills.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:21 AM
AZ Community Team

Motogp: Pedrosa talks about rossi and marquez, lorenzo and iannone... Plus more on rc

MotoGP: Pedrosa Talks About Rossi And Marquez, Lorenzo And Iannone... Plus More On RC213V Woes | Sport Rider

The following users liked this post:
knight rider (06-16-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 10:39 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

How about that race in Assen? TBH, I don't remember Toni Elias's win the last time a non-factory rider won a race, but I think I'll remember this one.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:49 AM
Instructor

Rain is the great equalizer. You could see Yonny Hernandez's crash(s) coming a mile away, but good for him for having the balls to get up there.

I was rooting for Rossi and was pissed when he low sided.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:49 AM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by F-C
How about that race in Assen? TBH, I don't remember Toni Elias's win the last time a non-factory rider won a race, but I think I'll remember this one.
Awesome race indeed. I was on pins and needles on my couch, watching the race. I can't imagine what the riders were feeling. One of the scariest parts of the race was when Marquez and Iannone were battling. I was for sure that would end in disaster lol.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:54 AM
AZ Community Team

Awesome race indeed. I was on pins and needles on my couch, watching the race. I can't imagine what the riders were feeling. One of the scariest parts of the race was when Marquez and Iannone were battling. I was for sure that would end in disaster lol.
+1, I absolutely hate getting caught out in the rain. Have been through some very heavy rain in the past where the only thing dry was my head.
Having to race in it must be quite challenging from static and dynamic coefficient of friction for rubber on wet pavement is extremely unforgiving.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 06-30-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:52 AM
Pro

Another unpredictable race. Good call by Marquez coming in early and switching to slicks instead of the intermediates.

Half way through the season and the top Ducati rider is Hector Barbera . How embarrassing for the factory team. Barbera is riding well this year. Couldn't believe he qualified 2nd in Germany.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Another unpredictable race. Good call by Marquez coming in early and switching to slicks instead of the intermediates.
That was perfect racing. HUGE gamble to go out on slicks with the track still damp, but no risk, no reward. I'm still wondering why Rossi didn't come up with something similar? I was surprised when he rode past the pits that last time and I think his crew was too.

Half way through the season and the top Ducati rider is Hector Barbera . How embarrassing for the factory team. Barbera is riding well this year. Couldn't believe he qualified 2nd in Germany.
Well...a big reason for that was the numerous DNFs at the early part of the season. Dovi would be doing better if he was able to finish those early races. Barbera rides beyond his station though. I wouldn't mind seeing him on a factory Duc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MotoGP: News and Discussion Thread