McLaren: Motorsports News

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 06:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 McLaren drivers confirmed

Lewis Hamilton
Hamilton will make his F1 debut in Australia next March
Englishman Lewis Hamilton will drive for McLaren in Formula One next season.

The 21-year-old, the reigning champion of the GP2 feeder series, will be the first black driver to race in F1.

Hamilton, who has been in McLaren's young driver programme since 1998, said getting a drive with the team was "a dream come true".

He faces the daunting prospect of partnering world champion Fernando Alonso, who will be making his McLaren debut after moving from Renault.

Hamilton's appointment means Spaniard Pedro de la Rosa will revert to being a test driver alongside another Englishman, Gary Paffett, who had been tipped for a race seat in another team.

Hamilton will join the McLaren team next week as they prepare for the 2007 season at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona.

"To be racing in Formula One with McLaren has been the ulimate goal for me since I was very young," Hamilton said in a team statement.

"This opportunity is a fantastic way to end what has been the best year for me.

"I'm aware that this will be a challenge and I know there will be a lot of attention on me," he added.

Hamilton, who joined the McLaren development programme at the age of 13, won the British Formula Renault title in 2003 and the Formula 3 Euroseries in 2005.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/6179704.stm
Old 11-24-2006, 08:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,862 Likes on 3,482 Posts
I can't wait to watch this kid race.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Haakinen to drive McLaren (test)

Mika has asked the team to test and has spent some time in their simulator getting ready. Should be interesting.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Why does he want to do testing?
Old 11-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

The question should be, why does McLaren want him to test? They already have three drivers more than capable of doing that same thing. Why bring a 38 year old who has been out of top flight racing for a few years in to do this/
Old 11-30-2006, 09:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Wow, he's really tearing it up:
from ITV

Mika Hakkinen returned to the track in an F1 car for the first time since 2001 during testing at Barcelona on Thursday.

The Finn's early runs in the McLaren saw him nine seconds off the pace.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:20 AM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
It's a shame he didnt do this a couple years ago. It was beautiful watching him spank Schumi's ass back in the mid 90s over and over and over again
Old 11-30-2006, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
It's a shame he didnt do this a couple years ago. It was beautiful watching him spank Schumi's ass back in the mid 90s over and over and over again
???

Um, who is the 7 time World Champion?
Old 11-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Senior Moderator

I was wonderin' the same Starter. BTW, Mika finishes the day 3 secs. adrift of Badoer in the Ferrari (on top again).
Old 11-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Starter
???

Um, who is the 7 time World Champion?

... and how many of those came after hak decided to go do something else?

hey. i give credit where credit is due. Now, i'm not goign to go say that mika was a superior driver or anything. because schumi is one of, if not THE greatest of all time. But even you have to admit that mika did more than give him a run for his money. After Mika left, it was easy for Schu.. Too easy. That rivalry was great for the sport

Last edited by TheAcAvenger; 11-30-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:24 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
... and how many of those came after hak decided to go do something else?

hey. i give credit where credit is due. Now, i'm not goign to go say that mika was a superior driver or anything. because schumi is one of, if not THE greatest of all time. But even you have to admit that mika did more than give him a run for his money. After Mika left, it was easy for Schu.. Too easy. That rivalry was great for the sport
It didn't matter. The results would have been the same. Mika is one great driver, but McLaren is one shitty powerful but unreliable F1 car.

McLaren took a gamble on its engine. Rather than building a less powerful but reliable engine, it built a very powerful but unreliable engine. McLaren did win some races, but lost the game.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Banned

Yeah...Mika would have won some races...and DNFd a lot too...and MS would still have won the same number of championships.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

McLaren Escape Punishment

Excerpted from PlanetF1.com

Thursday 26th July 2007
Fantasy F1 - Win a trip to Monaco!

It's not too late, point scoring starts at the Bahrain GP. Click here.

McLaren have escaped being penalised by the FIA after Thursday's hearing ruled that there was insufficient evidence to suggest the team made use of stolen Ferrari secrets.

McLaren appeared before the World Motor Sport Council in Paris on Thursday having been charged with 'fraudulent conduct' and having 'unauthorised possession of documents and confidential information belonging to Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro.'

The way I always viewed it was that there was an awful high degree of complicity that would have necessarily been proved in order to implicate Macca. I think this is the correct decision and no, I'm not necessarily a fan of the team.

And BTW-Dennis should sue the piss out of Couglan for getting him into this mess.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:16 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,064 Likes on 764 Posts
From Grand Prix:

Ferrari has nonetheless responded to the World Council decision with anger, saying that McLaren was "found guilty by the FIA World Council" and that it is "incomprehensible that violating the fundamental principle of sporting honesty does not have, as a logical and inevitable consequence, the application of a sanction". Ferrari goes on to say that the World Council's decision "legitimises dishonest behaviour in Formula 1 and sets a very serious precedent" and is "highly prejudicial to the credibility of the sport".

Ferrari says it will continue with the legal actions in Italy and England.
Looks like Ferrari isn't too pleased.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Senior Moderator

I guess Ferrari wants to beat Macca off the track instead of on.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

I do agree w/ Ferrari that to have a team be found guilty of violating the sporting code and not receive any penalty is incorrect. McLaren should get docked some points but leave the driver's points alone.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:15 AM
~HondaF1~

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts
I actually though that they would loose constructor points too, look @ Honda's punishment in '05 for the gas tank saga......

I guess since it's been happening for decades they just gave them a slap-in-da-hand.....
Old 07-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Nope...Ferrari being ticked off is an understatement.

Here's the story from Top Gear: http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/2082/
Old 07-27-2007, 01:38 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I guess the question is how do you prove that McLaren didn't benefit from the stolen documents. Since Coughlan is the chief designer, what ever changes he made to the car since he received the documents probably did somehow make it onto the car, either intentional or not.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
I do agree w/ Ferrari that to have a team be found guilty of violating the sporting code and not receive any penalty is incorrect. McLaren should get docked some points but leave the driver's points alone.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:10 AM
~HondaF1~

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts
The appeal should be intersesting, Briatore will attend as well.......
Old 09-07-2007, 08:01 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

McLaren investigation

The FIA has published the letter that was sent to the three McLaren drivers.

"As you will be aware, the FIA has recently investigated whether, how and to what extent McLaren was in possession of confidential Ferrari technical information," the letter said. "The FIA has subsequently been made aware of an allegation that one or more McLaren drivers may be in possession, or that such drivers have recently been in possession, of written evidence relevant to this investigation.

"In the interests of the sport and the Championship it is important that the FIA as the regulator establishes unequivocally and rapidly whether or not this allegation has any basis in fact.

"The FIA therefore formally requests that you produce copies of any relevant documents which may be in your possession or power of procurement and which may be relevant to this case. For these purposes “documents” includes all written materials such as e-mails, letters, electronic communications, text messages, notes, memoranda, drawings, diagrams, data,. or other material, stored in any physical, “hard copy” or electronic form. In particular (though without limiting the generality of this request), the FIA wishes to receive copies of any electronic communications (howsoever conveyed or stored) which may be relevant to this case and which make reference to Ferrari, Nigel Stepney or any technical or other information coming from or connected with either Ferrari or Mr Stepney. In the event that you are aware of the existence or previous existence of any document falling within the above description but are not in a position to produce it, please describe the content of the document in question, the circumstances under which it came to your knowledge and the reasons why you are unable to produce it. In the event that you are unsure as to whether any document falls within the above description, kindly submit it (or a description of it) and the FIA will assist in making a determination.

"You will appreciate that there is a duty on all competitors and Super Licence holders to ensure the fairness and legitimacy of the Formula One World Championship. It is therefore imperative that if you do have any such information, you make it available to us without delay. I can confirm, given the importance of this issue, that any information you may make available in response to this letter will not result in any proceedings against you under the International Sporting Code or the Formula One regulations. However, in the event that it later comes to light that you have withheld any potentially relevant information, serious consequences could follow.

"We are sending identical letters to Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton. We look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience. Thank you very much for your co-operation."
Old 09-07-2007, 08:02 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Looks like Ferrari wants the championship one way or another this year.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Listening to the 2nd practice in Italy it sounds like there is speculation that Alonso and the test driver have given them some info. Should be interesting
Old 09-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

^^ which is precisely the rationale behind Max's request to the Macca drivers to produce all records in their possession regarding set-up information believed to have been shared b/n de La Rosa and Alonso back in March that was Ferrari's secret info. This could be interesting. Poor Ronster, he's got a dream team and car and the season has been marred by this mess. I don't like him mind you, I just don't think he (based on what I've read/heard) had any knowledge of what Coughlan was up to w/ Stepney, both of whom ought to be released on the pit straight to the tifosi to do that with what they wish.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Senior Moderator

^^ which is precisely the rationale behind Max's request to the Macca drivers to produce all records in their possession regarding set-up information believed to have been shared b/n de La Rosa and Alonso back in March that was Ferrari's secret info. This could be interesting. Poor Ronster, he's got a dream team and car and the season has been marred by this mess. I don't like him mind you, I just don't think he (based on what I've read/heard) had any knowledge of what Coughlan was up to w/ Stepney, both of whom ought to be released on the pit straight to the tifosi to do that with what they wish.
this could be a nightmare for him. And poor Hamilton being caught up in this. Especially if it comes down to taking McLaren out of the championship for the 07 and 08 seasons like were mentioned. Maybe this is what Alonso is looking for to get into Ferrari?
Old 09-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Senior Moderator

y'know, why wld McLaren compete next year if they knew they weren't going to get any points? Why would they spend millions of millions of dollars to compete in an arena that rewarded them w/ zip? Why would the drivers stay? What effect if they did compete, would having a non-points car on the podium at the finish do to the rest of the field (first 10 cars get points instead of first 8?) Whatta mess and whatta perfect excuse for Lew/Fern to hit the road to a different team if that does happen. Fawk. . . . . .
Old 09-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

y'know, why wld McLaren compete next year if they knew they weren't going to get any points? Why would they spend millions of millions of dollars to compete in an arena that rewarded them w/ zip? Why would the drivers stay? What effect if they did compete, would having a non-points car on the podium at the finish do to the rest of the field (first 10 cars get points instead of first 8?) Whatta mess and whatta perfect excuse for Lew/Fern to hit the road to a different team if that does happen. Fawk. . . . . .
Agree. that would be a MESS. A huge mess. It would be a nightmare all around! But it would also explain the talk of the 2 possibly going elsewhere
Old 09-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Lewis has Ron to thank for giving him his big break and undoubtedly will remain a McLaren man forever in my opinion. Hell, he's been loyal to the guy since he was freakin' 9 y.o. Alonso would be gone so fast though . . . .
Old 09-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Yea i see alonso at a different team next year
Old 11-02-2007, 07:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

McLaren confirm Alonso's departure

Surprise surprise.

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,189...843032,00.html

McLaren have just confirmed the departure of Fernando Alonso in a press release. Here's their statement in full:

'Following a meeting between Fernando Alonso and McLaren, it was agreed that it would be in the best interests of both parties to bring the relationship to an end.

'The mutual parting of ways has not been discussed until now, since it was felt that any such discussion could have seriously disrupted the team's and Fernando's 2007 Formula 1 World Championship challenge. Both parties believe that this was the right decision.

FERNANDO ALONSO:

"Since I was a boy I had always wanted to drive for McLaren, but sometimes in life things do not work out. I continue to believe that McLaren is a great team. Yes, we have had our ups and downs during the season, which has made it extra-challenging for all of us, and it is not a secret that I never really felt at home. I know there have been suggestions of favouritism within the team and people say a lot of things in the heat of battle, but in the end I was always provided with an equal opportunity to win. Today's decision allows all of us to focus on 2008, and I wish the team, Vodafone, Banco Santander, Mutua Madrileña and all the other team Partners who I have worked closely with during the year, the best for the future."

RON DENNIS:

"Everybody at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, especially McLaren's Spanish Partners Banco Santander and Mutua Madrileña and the team's title partner Vodafone, want to wish Fernando all the best for the future. He is a great driver but for some reason the combination of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes and Fernando has not really worked out, and in the end we reached a stage where none of us could find a way to move forward. We all believe that our joint decision to part company is for the best, and we will now continue to focus on our 2008 World Championship challenge."

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes will announce any additions to its existing driver line-up in due course.'
http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,189...843085,00.html

McLaren have confirmed that Fernando Alonso has left the team by mutual consent with immediate effect.

Whilst the divorce was expected, its confirmation remains shocking in the sense that the marriage should have been a match made in heaven. Instead, Alonso's solitary season will be remembered only for acrimony and the nightmare spectre of the Stepneygate scandal that resulted in the team's expulsion from the Constructors' Championship due to the indiscretions of Alonso's email exchange with test driver Pedro de la Rosa.

Alonso's disgruntlement centred on his belief that the team favoured Lewis Hamilton throughout the British's driver rookie year. Having allegedly blackmailed Dennis to install him as the team's number one driver, Alonso's departure ironically effectively confers that status on Hamilton instead.

Hamilton can thus be regarded as the only winner in the split. McLaren have lost a driver who, despite the distraction of the interminable internal bickering, came within two points of winning a third successive World Championship. As for Alonso, with his route into Ferrari blocked by Felipe Massa's recent contract extension, his next move is bound to be a backwards step.

The Spaniard has won few friends over the past twelve months but, after months of denouncements and accusations, Alonso was noticeably contrite and dignified in his farewell to the team.

Wishing the entire team "the best for the future", he admitted: "I know there have been suggestions of favouritism within the team and people say a lot of things in the heat of battle, but in the end I was always provided with an equal opportunity to win."

While no doubt partially relieved to have parted company with Alonso, the tone of Dennis' commentary was of disappointment and puzzlement that the alliance of Alonso and McLaren had so spectacularly failed to dovetail.

"He is a great driver but for some reason the combination of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes and Fernando has not really worked out, and in the end we reached a stage where none of us could find a way to move forward. We all believe that our joint decision to part company is for the best, and we will now continue to focus on our 2008 World Championship challenge."

There was no indication from the team on who will replace Alonso as Lewis Hamilton's team-mate next season, but Nico Rosberg, Heikki Kovalkanien and Jenson Button are bound to be considered as the leading contenders.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:06 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
So where does he end up? Back at Renault?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:19 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Let the musical chairs begin!
Old 11-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 625 Likes on 276 Posts
i think we see Massa go to STR, Alonso slides in next to Kimi. The Ferrari guys made to much of a big deal about the Massa re-signing at an odd time, and it surely killed the FA rumours dead for a while, but I suspect it's a fast one from the boys in red.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator

I would love to see the following:

FA to Ferrari

Jense to Macca (too cool!)

Rosberg/Kovi-Renault

Massa-who cares

Rubens-stay at Honda (unlikely) or go to Williams w/ much needed sponsor cash

Could be that Williams/Honda/Renault will each need 2 drivers next year. Interesting, very interesting.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:26 AM
aka davo-tsx

So the shuffle will be....
Vettel/Bourdais @ STR or, Massa/Bourdais @ STR?
Timo Glock to Toyota replacing Ralf.
Maybe Kovi/FA back at Renault?

There's also a rumor that Pedro-dlR will step into the Macca ride, or Mika might come back from DTM (maybe he was seen in the Macca garage so much at the end of the season for a reason).

Either way, I think next year won't have the same Ferrari/Macca 1-4 starting grid for every race. Way more competition!
Old 11-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Senior Moderator

I would love to see him sitting in a red car next to Kimi
Old 11-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by davo-cls

Either way, I think next year won't have the same Ferrari/Macca 1-4 starting grid for every race. Way more competition!

At the present, there's only one other team that's in the same tier and that's BMW. I don't see Ferrari and McLaren being dethroned as top 2 teams next year.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

The shuffling around in the next fews weeks/months is going to be very interesting. Can't wait to see how it ends up playing out.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^ absolutely!

Quick Reply: McLaren: Motorsports News