JPM does no wrong

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,451 Likes on 3,769 Posts
JPM does no wrong

The race stewards have declared the coming together as a racing incident and chose not to punish JPM for MS's stupidity

JPM CLEARED BY STEWARDS
Last Updated: Sunday, 23 May , 2004, 19:08

Juan Pablo Montoya will not be punished for his incident with Michael Schumacher in the Monaco GP.

The Ferrari driver was forced to retire from the race after he collided with the Williams of Montoya while the two were making their way through the tunnel behind the safety car.

Schumacher had been leading the pack behind the safety car and heavily braked in the tunnel in a bid to warm up his tyres. As a result Montoya was left with nowhere to go and nudged the Ferrari, which then proceeded forward and into the outside tunnel wall.

The FIA interviewed both drivers and marshals at the scene and have ruled that no action will be taken against Montoya.

The Colombian said: "Michael braked very hard as he was warming up his brakes and I moved to the right side of the track to avoid him.

"But the gap narrowed and we touched."

Schumacher had a different take on the incident and claimed he had done nothing unusual.

He said: “The situation is that the race leader was knocked out of the race after being hit by a backmarker.

“I am sure there was no deliberate intention on his part and I accept the steward's decision.

“I was accelerating and braking just as we do when we go to the grid and in the standard way when running behind the safety car.

"The tunnel was not even the first place I had done it as I had used the same procedure earlier in the lap.

“A bit of smoke off the wheels is quite normal in these situations as you try to get heat into the front tyres and the brakes.”

Ferrari technical chief Ross Brawn says the incident ruined what had become a promising race for the German.

Brawn said: “It’s very unfortunate, you never want to go out of a race for that sort of reason.

“We informed him [Schumacher] the safety car was coming in and as soon as the safety car comes in the drivers start to warm their brakes up.

“So he was warming his brakes up and Juan Pablo hit the back of him. I’m sure the stewards will look through it carefully.

“I’m trying to restrain myself at the moment, but to go out of a race like that is very frustrating because I think we had a chance, not a strong chance, but a chance of winning the race.

“It had started coming together for us, we had a lot of fuel left in the car and Michael would have then had a very good sprint before he made his final stop so I think it might have been possible depending on how quickly he could have gone.”

Williams technical director Patrick Head meanwhile could not believe Schumacher chose the tunnel to warm up his tyres and recalled the incident in 2000 when then Williams driver Jenson Button was forced off the track because of similar behaviour from the Ferrari driver..

He said: “Well I think it’s on camera and there’s always going to be two different views to these things.

“Juan has said that Michael did a burn-out, which means accelerating hard and spinning the rear tyres up and then putting the brakes on hard - one has to wander if that’s a wise thing to do in a dark tunnel.

“Juan moved over to the right and when Michael put the brakes on his car moved right and there was a bump between the two.

“There will be an inquiry – the stewards have asked to see them both and I’m sure they will make a good judgment on what the outcome is.

“There was a similar problem at Monza for Jenson Button in 2000 when Michael was just in front of Jenson and there was a safety car and on the straight before the start Michael accelerated and then jammed the brakes on and caused Jenson to fly off the track to avoid going into the back of him.

“It strikes me that it doesn’t seem to be a position the driver behind can react fast enough and despite what Michael and Ross particularly might think, Juan is not a dirty driver he’s been used to driving for two years in Indy cars on high-speed ovals at 240mph - he knows what respecting your fellow drivers is, I don’t think there was any dirty tricks there.”

Sorry, MS is a fantastic driver but the safety car's lights were still on indicating at least one more lap behind it so what was the rush to "warm the brakes?" He doesn't deserve to get hit but he sure as hell has no right to bitch out Juan either.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:10 AM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On any highway, if you run into someone from behind, you're at fault. I'm no big MS fan, but it's Montoyas job to pay attention and not run over the guy in front of you, especially when you're a lap down
Old 05-25-2004, 07:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Red Rider
On any highway, if you run into someone from behind, you're at fault. I'm no big MS fan, but it's Montoyas job to pay attention and not run over the guy in front of you, especially when you're a lap down
At the same time out on the streets, we have limits on how closely you can be to the car in front of you. We also don't brake anywhere near the rate these cars can.

IMO, it was an unfortunate situation with faults on both sides.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,451 Likes on 3,769 Posts
Both men "burned out" in the tunnel but MS stayed hard on his brakes much longer than JPM. It gave him no place to go but into MS as he tried to manuever to the right which is precisely where Schumacher went. Either way, a stupid manuever on BOTH of their parts, especially in the narrow, one groove tunnel. Ditto Alonso and Ralfie.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:36 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, shit happens !!

The next race should be interesting, we'll see if they are " over " it