IndyCar: News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 01:00 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts
Oh for sure, but he won't do it.

He's done being 2nd, 3rd, 4th, he wants to win.... so it would be a team that doesn't want him. :'(
Old 06-13-2019, 12:54 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/n...ction/4473030/

The NTT IndyCar Series' new Aeroscreen, developed by Red Bull Advanced Technologies, “ticks a lot more boxes” than the Halo, according to Chip Ganassi Racing’s Scott Dixon who has been involved in the screen’s development.

The Aeroscreen, which will be introduced for the start of the 2020 IndyCar season, utilizes a titanium frame similar in shape to F1’s Halo, but holding a polycarbonate laminated screen.

According to five-time IndyCar champion Dixon, the framework is out of the sightline of the drivers as they look around and ahead on banked ovals.

He told Motorsport.com: “There was this myth to start with that the Halo wasn’t going to work on the ovals. But then a few of us asked, ‘Has anybody actually tried it’. ‘Oh no’. So then we went and tried [the regular Halo], and I was like, ‘It’s not a problem at all.

“But then there was an issue of how it would be fitted to the current car. We’d have to go through a lot of modifications, probably having to do a whole new chassis, and I think the timing wasn’t correct with their five-year plan.

“I think the Red Bull Technology one ticks a lot more boxes. I’ve been involved in that a fair bit. How an F1 team works the process is pretty amazing, the things that they covered, all the improvements that IndyCar wants.

“It started with what IndyCar did with PPG and the technology they use for the screen itself is going to cross over. I think it covers a much bigger window, I think it’s good. I think it’s maybe where the Halo needs to go.

“Aesthetically everyone is going to have their opinions, but safety-wise it’s a big step forward.”

Asked if he felt the Aeroscreen was overdue, Dixon stated: “Probably for us, yeah. But again I think to do it correctly, you need to do it right the first time. I think the Halo was drawn up pretty quickly and I think they’ll see an updated version fairly soon.

“I think it’s cool to see Red Bull working their capacity when there’s really no gain for them. They had that vision [started in F1 as an alternative to Halo] and that’s what they wanted. They think it’s more safe and this was their avenue to start it again. I respect that, it’s pretty cool.”

Dixon, now in his 19th year of Indy car racing, has been intrinsic to the NTT IndyCar Series’ work to improve cockpit protection.

“I did all the simulator testing and then I did the Phoenix test. I think Josef [Newgarden] is the only other guy that drove it, at Indianapolis. There’s been no road course testing yet, but I think that’s due to start at the end of July.

“I think they actually have their first piece ready, and it’s nice. The current ‘shark fin’ AFP device utilizes those [mounting] points already, so it’s an easy attachment.”

Old 08-01-2019, 02:40 PM

https://jalopnik.com/indycar-to-catc...-20-1836883612

It’s finally happening. IndyCar will finally be catching up with the times by introducing its first ever hybrid engine in anticipation of the 2022 season. The future is here, baby!

IndyCar announced this development earlier today, letting the world know that the series would be moving forward by requiring a single-source hybrid system to be implemented for the 2022 season. The plan is to implement the new hybrid system with a “multi-phase motor, inverter, and electric storage device that will create energy recovery from the car’s braking system,” the press rele
ase said. Basically, the neat stuff that Formula One introduced back in 2014 will now be making its way stateside.

The biggest immediate change will be the increase in horsepower. Current cars make anywhere from 500-750 HP, according to IndyCar’s website. In the 2022, they’re estimating to hit 900 at the lowest. That’s a pretty big change!

And a hybrid actually has a pretty neat safety implication, too. If you watch an IndyCar race now, you’ll notice that cars are started externally by members of the team. The hybrid will make that whole process obsolete by adding an electric button that will enable drivers to start the car from the cockpit. So if a driver stalls on track or in the pit lane in 2022, he’ll be able to start things up entirely on his own, which makes on-track recoveries a little less dangerous.

IndyCar also hypothesizes that the hybrid will increase race pace via a combination of greater horsepower and potentially fewer safety cars as a result of stalled vehicles.

The whole purpose of this development is to become more attractive to potential engine manufacturers. As of now, IndyCar only has Honda and Chevrolet signed on as its OEMs, but the series has aimed to include more manufacturers. It’s kind of tough to entice a company to spend a lot of money on a bespoke racing engine that doesn’t carry over to the building of their actual road cars. A hybrid system might just be the incentive another OEM needs.

If I had to guess, I’d say a third OEM likely won’t show up until 2023 so that they don’t have to sink money into something that is essentially untested. But I hope like hell it’ll eventually happen.

I, for one, welcome the new hybrid era—even if it was a long time coming.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:22 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,067 Likes on 767 Posts
Spec KERS?
Old 08-23-2019, 09:06 AM

https://racer.com/2019/08/22/indycar...tent=home-hero

The NTT IndyCar Series has halted the use of roll hoop-mounted LED information panels until its next-generation chassis arrives in the coming years.

Having used two vendors and tried three different versions of the LED panels since 2015, the latest iteration of the display has proven to be problematic, unreliable, or both, as fans and teams have witnessed throughout the 2019 season.

Due to the ongoing issues where panels on some of the Chevy- and Honda-powered Dallara DW12s fail to work as intended, the series directed its teams to remove the displays from all cars for last weekend’s ABC Supply 500 in Pocono, and has chosen to bench the LEDs altogether until a fully integrated design can be commissioned with the DW12’s replacement, expected in 2022.

In the place of the panels, IndyCar has mandated the use of the open space on the roll hoop fairings for larger car numbers, which addresses a frequent complaint from fans regarding the former use of small and often hard to read numbers.

It’s believed IndyCar could look to some of the tech-driven partners and sponsors within the series, including NTT Data and Arrow Electronics, to explore new ideas on how and where to present information such as pit stop duration, the activation of push-to-pass, and other interesting items to fans through car-mounted displays when the new chassis arrives.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:10 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,026 Likes on 2,504 Posts
RACING'S CIVIL WAR! The Full Story of the IndyCar and CART Split

Best 12 minute podcast that explains in great detail with LOTS of sarcasim and wit the CART/IRL split and reformation.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:37 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Having lived through that, I'm still not over it and I'm not ready to revisit it so soon.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:28 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/n...-2020/4554899/

Chip Ganassi Racing will enter a third IndyCar next season as Marcus Ericsson joins fellow Swedish series sophomore Felix Rosenqvist and five-time champion Scott Dixon.

Ericsson, who raced for five seasons in Formula 1, campaigned for Arrow Schmidt Peterson Motorsports-Honda in 2019, scoring a best result of second in Detroit, and proving a revelation on ovals

He will now remain in the Honda fold for his second season in the NTT IndyCar Series, but will drive the #8 Ganassi entry.

Team owner Chip Ganassi commented: “I think Marcus brings a lot of unique experience with him having competed in several championships around the world

“When you have someone with that type of background, it gives him other points of reference that helps his ability to develop and add to the overall racing program.

“We’re looking forward to seeing what Marcus can do alongside Scott and Felix.”

Ericsson himself commented: “First of all, I’m extremely happy and proud to get the opportunity to join Chip Ganassi Racing. It’s a team of winners and their history speaks for itself. I’m very thankful that they believe in me and I will do everything I can to make 2020 another successful year for the team.

“I’m also very excited to work with two of the best drivers in the series in Scott and Felix. I’m looking forward to putting what I’ve learned this year to use in my second year in the NTT IndyCar Series.”

The move is a re-expansion of the Ganassi team which went from four Indy cars down to two at the end of the 2017 season. Much of the human resource employed in the team’s successful Ford GT program is expected to switch across to IndyCar as the sportscar team winds down following this weekend’s IMSA finale, Motul Petit Le Mans.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:30 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/n...554376/?nrt=86

Andretti Autosport’s Ryan Hunter-Reay says he’s impressed by IndyCar’s 2020 aeroscreen after testing at Barber Motorsports Park today, his only misgiving being the need for improved cockpit cooling before the device comes online.

The 2012 IndyCar Series champion and 2014 Indianapolis 500 winner joined Team Penske’s 2016 champion and 2019 Indy 500 victor Simon Pagenaud at the 2.38-mile road course near Leeds, AL, for the first test of the Red Bull Applied Technologies-developed aeroscreen on a road course

Hunter-Reay said that the screen didn’t cause an issue visibility-wise at the wide variety of corners around the track, as his Andretti Autosport-Honda turned “about three-quarters of a race distance” at the 16-turn facility, although he admitted it took a while to grow accustomed to the lack of airflow-generated sensations.

“It was actually really good,” Hunter-Reay told Motorsport.com. “The fit and application of the device was pretty impressive and I think IndyCar, Red Bull, PPG and all their partners did a really good job with it. Now it’s just working around the little things that need sorting out

“From a driver’s perspective, it took some time to get used to. After racing single-seaters since I was 16 years old, having airflow on your helmet in conjunction with all the other sensory inputs you absorb has become a part of the experience of driving one of these types of car. So it took a little while to get used to not feeling or hearing that.

“The visual distortion wasn’t an issue. It’s like when IndyCar put the AFP [advanced frontal protection] device in front of us in May, it took a little while to get used to. Same with this screen, but by the end of the day you were totally fine with it. The tear-offs made a difference, but no more than you’d expect. Like, when I put a lot of tear-offs on my helmet, you get a little warping and distortion just because you’re effectively making what you’re looking through a bit thicker.

“Well, same here: if you run a whole lot of tear-offs on this, then you’ll expect the same thing, and when I asked to halve the number, that improved it. But from the vision perspective, honestly, the difference by having an aeroscreen was minimal, I’d say.

“We also ran in the rain and that was OK too, although there was no traffic because we were meant to run with Simon and he had an engine issue at the time.

Hunter-Reay says that the wraparound nature of the screen meant that airflow to the driver was currently heavily compromised and that IndyCar was already on the case about changing that.

“It was probably low-to mid 70s but high humidity, and it wasn’t temperature in the car that was the issue but more airflow to the driver’s helmet. We worked through a lot of different options and found some good ones to go forward with, but it’s a work in progress. IndyCar has a lot of sorting out to do in terms of inlets, cooling vents, locations, NACA ducts and tubes to eventually use, but I think we were able to make a meaningful contribution to that.

“The issue is that our helmets are designed to take 230mph airspeed and distribute that airflow down to our face and around our head. When you then surround that helmet with an aeroscreen, you can put little ducts and inlets on the helmet but you’re not penetrating that helmet with air unless you open your visor.

“So at the moment you can feel the ducts directing air to your firesuit on the middle of your body and even as high as your neck, but getting up into the helmet, and around your nose and mouth was what we were experimenting with – that’s what felt like the most stagnant area to me. But we made some good gains later in the day using a hose arrangement, almost like a helmet blower setup.

Handling changes masked by track resurfacing

The effect of the revised weight distribution of each IndyCar, caused by the 50lb (approximate) addition of the aeroscreen near the front axle, was not quantifiable due to Barber Motorsport Park resurfacing since the NTT IndyCar Series raced there in April.

“Unfortunately with it being our first test with the aeroscreen and also our first test on the repave, we had two variables,” explained Hunter-Reay. “So yes, I had a different balance today, but was that because of the new weight distribution? Was it the new track surface? They told me that since the new asphalt went down they’ve only had road cars and bikes on track, so there’s been no rubber laid down, there’s been no rain – until today, ironically! – to really wash and weather the surface… It was very, very green.

“I suppose I would say the car felt like it did have a higher C of G, there was a little more roll in the turns, but I wouldn’t want to draw any more conclusions than that.

“Also, it was a test for Firestone, so we ran last year’s compound, and then a lot of experimental tires, too. When it came to the long runs, we did about three-quarters of a race distance.

Aeroscreen the “right way to go”

Hunter-Reay, who over the course of his career has had several near-misses in terms of foreign objects threatening the cockpit area of his car, said he is very much convinced by the overall concept of the RBAT aeroscreen.

“Yeah, I think it’s definitely the right way to go,” he commented. “IndyCar’s been at the forefront of driver safety and racing safety for years and this is another step in the right direction.

“Obviously, this is how we work through things – start off with a great product because they’ve done a great job designing, and now we need to put it to the test, tweaking it, make the right changes and making it raceable on a road course, street course, short oval and superspeedway.

“There’s a lot of work to do on that side of it but I think the starting point is good and I’m certainly a fan of having my head protected for the first time in my open-wheel career. I’ve had more than my fair share of near-misses in that regard so I’m definitely pleased that we’re taking a step – a giant step – in protecting our heads.”

Old 10-09-2019, 09:04 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Doesn't look too bad from the side, but the front view looks horrendous.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:28 AM
AZ Community Team

Roger Penske buys Indianapolis Motor Speedway, IndyCar

https://sports.yahoo.com/roger-pensk...132316161.html

Roger going big, bet he'll fix the floundering Indycar series.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:40 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Wow! This is big, and I might start to watch IndyCar again. My biggest wish is to make it an open formula again, but that would have to take some time.

So many questions, but the biggest one is with COI. It's going to be awkward if the sole owner of the series is also a competitor.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:55 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Well, I was bored so listened to the press conference.

Glad someone brought up the issue with the COI. Penske says that he will spend less time on the pit wall, and there will be corporate governance in place that separates the two sides.

I'd say that being a spec formula, it is somewhat less of a concern from a current competition standpoint. It's still troubling though. For example, what's to prevent him from giving 95% of the revenue to the top 2 teams? Or provide guaranteed spots in the 500 to teams that have 3 or more cars in the series.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,880 Likes on 3,491 Posts
I have been in close proximity to Roger a number of times and if one thing rings through, it's his integrity. I cannot imagine for a nanosecond he would use his position as owner of the series to benefit his own team. Besides as someone else said, it's a spec series so how much can be gained without raising the ire of the remaining competitors? Do that a few times and the series dies and away goes Penske's investment. I'd argue that were he to do as F-C said and give "95% of the revenue to the top 2 teams" would spell spell the end of the series in one season, maybe 2.Penske Racing was around in the halcyon years of CART and hopefully Roger remembers that formula and pushes the series in that direction. I'd kill to see that again, Mansell, Andrettis, Tracy, Moore, Gugelmin, et. al were so much fun to watch, really gave F1 a run for the money in my mind, only stateside.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:10 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
I have been in close proximity to Roger a number of times and if one thing rings through, it's his integrity. I cannot imagine for a nanosecond he would use his position as owner of the series to benefit his own team. Besides as someone else said, it's a spec series so how much can be gained without raising the ire of the remaining competitors? Do that a few times and the series dies and away goes Penske's investment. I'd argue that were he to do as F-C said and give "95% of the revenue to the top 2 teams" would spell spell the end of the series in one season, maybe 2.Penske Racing was around in the halcyon years of CART and hopefully Roger remembers that formula and pushes the series in that direction. I'd kill to see that again, Mansell, Andrettis, Tracy, Moore, Gugelmin, et. al were so much fun to watch, really gave F1 a run for the money in my mind, only stateside.
I was exaggerating for effect on a worst case scenario. Maybe a more likely concern would be a penalty & protest by a competitor at the 500. Bobby Unser driving for Penske won the race in 81 after his penalty was cancelled after the race. If a situation like this happened again, surely there would be suspicions on the results.

He is getting up there with his age, so at some point succession would come into play.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:53 AM
AZ Community Team

20 years on: Greg Moore death

https://motorsportstribune.com/remem...on-greg-moore/

What coulda been, one of my fav CART drivers of all time.

Dario Franchitti, Paul Tracy, Max Papis talking about Greg Moore. Not only a great driver but a great guy.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:06 PM

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/n...lysis/4600201/

IndyCar has started the process of analyzing 10 submissions from potential hybrid unit suppliers, as it lays the groundwork for the next-gen engines which are to be introduced in 2022.

IndyCar sent out 10 Request For Proposals [RFPs] in August, following its decision to incorporate hybrid systems that help push the series nearer the 900hp mark

IndyCar president Jay Frye told Motorsport.com: “We got all 10 RFPs back and there’s a couple that eliminate themselves because they didn’t really have the capabilities we were looking for. There were a couple that had some different ideas that were cool, and then there were probably three of the 10 that we’re exploring further.

“So the next step will be to consult Chevrolet and Honda, and go through some ideas with the teams, in terms of how it would work and how it would be implemented – for example, buying versus leasing

“We feel really encouraged about the information we got back and that the plan is definitely viable and definitely what we’re looking for. We’re not close to making any final decisions, but we’re past the preliminary stages because we consulted Chevrolet, Honda and other OEMs when sending out the RFP in the summer. The final decision should come in the early part of the first quarter of next year.

“Dallara, too, is obviously part of the consultation process because you’ve got to look at all the different places a hybrid unit could fit into. Ultimately it would be great if part of it could fit in the bellhousing, so then how would you package the rest of the items? Between now and 2022 things can change so rapidly so it will evolve as we go

While IndyCar’s original proposed next-gen engine regulations, announced in May 2018, stated that the units would grow from their current 2.2-liters to 2.4, Frye said that the size of the new hybrid-supplemented engines is still yet to be defined.

“Honda and Chevrolet obviously have worked with systems like this in the past and are doing so currently, too,” he commented, “so we will be leaning on them and taking on board a lot of the knowledge they already have. Once we’ve made the decision about which unit we’re going with, we’ll work with the manufacturers to decide engine size in order to reach our goals.”

Frye also suggested that while pushing back the new engine regulations to 2022 had theoretically meant IndyCar’s next switch in spec chassis would occur simultaneously, the situation is in fact “fluid.”

He said: “That timeline is very much part of what we’re evaluating. In 2020 we’ve got the aeroscreen obviously, but in 2021 there is a window of opportunity so, thinking economically, maybe we break these things out a little differently from what we originally thought. There are a lot of moving pieces right now, it’s fluid, the five-year-plan is a rolling entity – actually we’re already starting to populate ideas for 2026 and ’27 – and we’re aware that economics matter. So right now we’re getting all the data to evaluate how we timeline it.”

One economic implication being assessed is how much it would cost to modify the current car to run the new engine in 2022 and then buy the next-gen chassis – the one ‘tailor-made’ for the new engine – in 2023, compared with teams taking on the challenge of paying for a new engine and a new chassis in the one year.

“Yeah, that’s one way of looking at it,” said Frye. “Or maybe we start part of the process of the 2022 car in 2021, accelerating certain targets to not only make the current car even better, but also spread out the teams’ costs over a greater period of time. There are different ways of doing this – as I said, the situation is fluid – and that may be the right way to go if it’s possible, to try and make it seamless for the teams.”

Old 11-20-2019, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Legend2TL

https://motorsportstribune.com/remem...on-greg-moore/

What coulda been, one of my fav CART drivers of all time.

Dario Franchitti, Paul Tracy, Max Papis talking about Greg Moore. Not only a great driver but a great guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arl_VOXJeAk&t=495s

I've told this story before but maybe not here . . ..

That weekend was very strange, especially as it involved Moore. My brother was running the food service at California Speedway at the time. He had an RV in the infield which by chance, was right next to Moore's. Moore had a brand new S2000 and refused to park in his own spot, instead parking it my brother's. Michael asked him to move it and he gave some kind of expletive laced response to him. The next day (Saturday) Moore was on his motorbike and ran into my friend Mike and his wife who provided all the floral arrangements for all of Indycar's teams' hospitality locations within the track. That is when Moore broke his wrist. That night we were guests of MBZ to watch the Japanese GP in their hospitality area in the infield (Hakkinen won WC vs. Schu). We came out of the party and our car had been towed to the other end of the race track along with 40 others' cars. LOL. Moore was cleared to race and the next day while standing on the roof of the pit suites at the start/finish line, my wife and I watched as 3 cars went in to Turn 1 simultaneously. "This isn't good" is what I said to my wife. Seconds later Moore was crashing on the exit. The announcement of Moore's death was made in a room underneath the main grandstand. My brother, me and another guy, were holding up a white sheet in the background of the shot while that announcement was being made. A terrible, terrible weekend.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:47 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

If two-time Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso is going to take another run at completing motor racing’s ‘Triple Crown’ by winning the Indianapolis 500, it will be with a Chevy-powered team.

RACER has learned that the Spaniard, whose name has been heavily linked to a return with the Honda-powered Andretti Autosport team, had the supply deal vetoed at the 11th hour.
https://racer.com/2020/02/02/honda-v...indy-500-deal/

Good example of why you shouldn't burn all the bridges.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:28 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^ especially when the burning of said bridges occurs while you're driving in Japan's home GP while on Honda's own track.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:19 AM
AZ Community Team

^ yeah, Alonso in the later part of his career seems to pour gasoline on his burning bridges too.

On a better note, was happy to read Sebastien Bourdais was able to land a four race deal with Foyt.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sebastien-b...201308115.html
Old 02-06-2020, 09:46 AM

https://jalopnik.com/here-are-some-o...ree-1841474157

With the IndyCar season fast approaching, I think it’s high time we all start getting excited about the series’ answer to head protection: the aeroscreen. According to a new interview with Jay Frye, the president of IndyCar, this thing can withstand the force of six Chevy Silverados.

Now, I don’t know about you, but I have never actually lifted a Silverado, so I can’t quite conceptualize how much weight we’re talking here. Frye’s interview with Autoweek sheds some further light on the kind of weight we’re talking:
“We did a load test on the titanium top frame,” Frye said. “We got to a certain number and that was 34,000 pounds, which is basically six Chevrolet Silverados stacked on top of each other, and it passed that test. At that point, we just really stopped. It’s possible that it could do more than that, but it was well within the criteria of what we were looking for.

“The ballistics test we did, it was a similar type of thing where it was a 3-pound piece at 140, 180, 200, 220 mph. It was many different iterations, and it basically exceeded all of our expectations and all the testing, too.”
Why don’t we break it down into some numbers that the average human can digest based on the kinds of items you probably just have laying around your house.

The IndyCar aeroscreen can also withstand:
  • 15,436,000 feathers (x)
  • 270 featherweights (x)
  • 68,000 iPhone 11 Pro Maxs (x)
  • 35,500 mini Babybel original cheese rounds (x)
  • ~21 Dallara IR-12 chassis with Dallara IR-18 road/street course aero kit (x)
  • 147,826 pints of Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream
  • 387 toilets (x)
  • 8,500 copies of a
    <i>Lord of the Rings</i> book set Lord of the Rings book set
  • 1/3 of a Boeing 737-800 (x)
  • 243 Elizabeth Blackstocks
Got a better idea of how much the aeroscreen can handle? Good!

There’s also an interesting little nugget buried well within the interview that I think is worth pointing out (emphasis mine):
“We think, in our opinion, this is an industry-changing total driver cockpit safety solution,” Frye said. “The Halo is great. It’s worked. We’ve seen it work. It does one thing. The AFP device does one thing. We think this is more of a total solution. It does both. It has the load-bearing capabilities on the top. It has the frontal impact piece for things coming at you.

“Talking about design and engineering, I mean one of the versions of the screen is heated, so it comes with an anti-fogging piece inside of it. There’s really been no stone unturned. This great group has worked really hard to get it where it is.”
What I’m gathering here is that, at least at one point, the aeroscreen contained a screen warmer. It isn’t clear if that’s still the case, if all aeroscreens will come with this anti-fogging device; or if some aeroscreens have them and can be swapped out depending on race conditions; or if a heated screen was, at one point in the developmental process, considered and then rejected. I’ve emailed IndyCar for clarification and will update when I hear back.

But no matter what the case, it really shows a commitment to trying everything before seeing what really sticks.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:38 AM

https://racer.com/2020/02/06/indycar...g-live-stream/

The NTT IndyCar Series and NBC Sports will offer coverage of next week’s one and only pre-season open test with live streaming of the Tuesday-Wednesday Spring Training sessions at Circuit of The Americas.

The on-track activity will be available for viewing on IndyCar.com and the IndyCar mobile app, with hosts Katie Hargitt, Kevin Lee, Jake Query and Paul Tracy.

A.J. Foyt Racing’s Tony Kanaan, who starts his season at the Indianapolis 500, will be onsite at COTA to support the team and join the broadcasts.

Four sessions are scheduled for Spring Training, with Tuesday’s opening run taking place from 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m., and the second from 2:30-6:30 p.m. Wednesday’s activity is scheduled for 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., and 1:00-5:00 p.m. All times are Eastern.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:17 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,657 Likes on 2,491 Posts
Perhaps knowing the percentage of a 737 Max bight have been more appropriate and possibly more likely
Old 02-12-2020, 09:37 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Blast from the past. That opening theme song, Paul Page announcing, real race car drivers, real race cars, 1000hp engines. Makes me sad for today's IndyCar.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:22 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/n...worry/4684766/

IndyCar drivers have given largely positive feedback regarding visibility through the aeroscreen which becomes mandatory from the opening round of the 2020 NTT IndyCar Series season, but cockpit cooling at hot races remains a concern.

During Spring Training at Circuit of The Americas, ambient temperatures reached only 58degF, and drivers – who can have their helmets plumbed into a fresh-air hose, a la NASCAR – had no cooling issues.

However, one driver who did not wish to be named, told Motorsport.com that he believes work still has to be done to resolve expected temperature issues behind the aeroscreen in the height of summer.

He said: “COTA’s a fast track for us so you’ve got good airflow and even when we come back to race here it will only be April. Temperatures shouldn’t be too bad.

“I guess I’m worried about slower tracks in the summer or whenever we’re running behind the pace car at 60mph.”

Asked if he’d like to see the vents on top of the shock absorber access panel to be bigger, he replied, “No, I don’t think that’s the problem. I think it’s more the shape of the airflow once it’s in the cockpit and when there’s air coming over the top of the cockpit. None of it seems to really reach the helmet area.

“So we’ve got the hoses to connect to the helmet but I don’t know how much ram effect we’re going to get there.”

Charlie Kimball, who returns to full-time IndyCar racing this year with the AJ Foyt Racing squad, added: "I think there are still some cooling issues to work through. It is not particularly warm today but at the same time, I didn't have any vision issues and it's a lot quieter in the car. There is a lot less wind noise, and I think the radio is clearer, so if we can figure out how to stay cool on a really hot day we'll be in good shape.

Kimball also approved the visibility despite less than ideal conditions through the first day and a half of Spring Training.

“Even with the puddles and the dirt and all the other stuff that's been on the aeroscreen today, I haven't felt like I lost any significant vision," he said.

His comments were echoed by several of his peers including new part-time teammate Sebastien Bourdais.

“You just have to get accustomed to the new environment,” said the four-time Champ Car title winner, who completed just half a day of testing before handing off to another of this year’s drivers of the #14 Foyt entry, Dalton Kellett. “We ran somewhat in the wet, a tiny bit. [There were] projections dirtying up the screen when you follow someone, but it seemed under control, so no major complaints.

“Obviously, it is very cold today, so it was actually not a bad thing that it was warmer than usual inside the car.”

Said Graham Rahal, "The aeroscreen has been no issue. Little bit warmer in the car but not too bad.

"Visibility is great. I followed someone through a puddle and actually a ton of water came up on the aeroscreen and it dissipated immediately. Better than what we would have experienced honestly before [the screen was introduced]."

His Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing teammate Takuma Sato added that the experience was “very different from anything I drove before. It was a lot quieter with no air moving inside the cockpit. Overall, I think it is very positive. I felt really safe and protected. The visibility is better than I expected."

"Honestly, I think the first real test day with the aeroscreen was a complete success,” said Zach Veach of Andretti Autosport-Honda. “The cooling was adequate for the conditions - and a little too good for as cool as it is! I think we're going to be in good shape when we get to St. Pete and it's hotter.

“We got to run in the rain, and I had no visual issues with the aeroscreen at all. As different as it is for the car’s look, I was very happy with what I saw from the cockpit."

Marcus Ericsson, about to enter his second IndyCar season but having made the switch from Arrow SPM to Chip Ganassi Racing, commented: "I think [the aeroscreen] worked really well and did what it should do. There were no issues whatsoever driving with it.

“Obviously, it feels a bit different compared to when there is nothing there, but you quickly get used to it. I think IndyCar has done a really good job there to implement it on all cars for this test – it's very impressive."

Teammate and compatriot Felix Rosenqvist observed: "I think mainly the aeroscreen worked really well. In terms of cooling, it was better than expected. Also, visibility was really good.

“The only thing was when the sun got low there was a lot of glare going on, which will be something to look at and see what the other drivers' feedback will be.

“I think honestly the biggest difference is the way it affects the car handling in terms of weight and aerodynamics."
Old 02-14-2020, 09:24 AM

https://www.racefans.net/2020/02/13/...en-generation/

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
Old 02-14-2020, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Jeezus Christ Indycar-thanks for giving me another reason not to watch.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:10 PM

Definitely looks out of place. Bulky & much less sleek looking as compared to the rest of the car.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:09 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

So incredibly ugly. I thought the halo was ugly, but this is even worse.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:53 AM
AZ Community Team

Oh my, didn't think IndyCar could produce something uglier than the halo.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:31 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/n...-regs/4697270/

The introduction of the Red Bull Advance Technologies-developed aeroscreen in 2020 has prompted the NTT IndyCar Series to allow an extra team crew-member over the wall in a pitstop, to act purely as an aeroscreen attendant.

That means there will be seven crew members per car allowed on pitlane during a pitstop – four tire changers, one airjack operator, one fueler, and one aeroscreen attendant.

The rule stipulates that the attendant may only work on the aeroscreen and its tear-offs, and must remain in control of all tear-off materials.

This “seventh member” must remain behind pit wall until the car comes to an absolute stop, and may only work while the car’s rear tires are in the air.

Driver wariness regarding the amount of air that reaches the cockpit since the aeroscreen’s installation has also prompted fresh stipulations from IndyCar. Helmet ducting will be mandatory at all road, street and short-oval tracks, but is not allowed for the Indy 500 nor Texas 600. The helmet manufacturer will provide the attachment but the ducting hose can only be attached with a quick disconnect system approved by IndyCar.

Nose inlet cooling is mandatory for road, street and short-oval tracks and again is not permitted at IMS and TMS. The tubes may not extend past the rearward face of the bulkhead but may have filtration added as long as it is contained within the tubes, and the tube inlets may be sealed using tape or a cover provided there is no change to the intended shape.

The front duct exit port, optional at all events, must remain open on the bottom, but may be trimmed to change or direct the airflow.

IndyCar has also stated in the regulations that additional fasteners for the aeroscreen and that all components must be used as supplied. Ergo nothing may be added between the two mounting surfaces, and the frame may not be fitted to the carbon top plate.

Regarding pitlane safety, while the pit speed limits for superspeedways and speedways remains 60mph, the limits on road courses, street circuits, and short ovals has been reduced from 2019’s setting of 50mph to 45mph in 2020. The exception is the Honda Indy Toronto which, due to the tortuous nature of its pitlane, will have its limit set at only 40mph.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:31 AM

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/team/...ianapolis-500/

ARROW McLAREN SP AND FERNANDO ALONSO JOIN FORCES FOR 104TH INDIANAPOLIS 500

The Spaniard will drive the No. 66 Ruoff Mortgage Arrow McLaren SP Chevrolet

Arrow McLaren SP and Fernando Alonso will join forces with title partner Ruoff Mortgage to compete this year in the 104th Running of the Indianapolis 500, the team announced today. The Spaniard will join Arrow McLaren SP drivers Oliver Askew and Pato O’Ward as the team fields three cars in a blend of youth and experience at the iconic event.

Alonso, a double Formula 1 World Champion, World Endurance Champion, twice winner of the 24 Hours of Le Mans and winner of the 24 Hours of Daytona, will compete in his third Month of May this year, driving the No. 66 Ruoff Mortgage Arrow McLaren SP Chevrolet and returning to continue his quest for motorsport’s elusive and prestigious “Triple Crown”.

Ruoff Mortgage is no stranger to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, having won a thrilling Indy 500 in 2017. The livery of the No. 66 Ruoff Mortgage Arrow McLaren SP Chevrolet will be revealed in the near future.

Fernando Alonso, No. 66 Ruoff Mortgage Arrow McLaren SP Chevrolet:

“I am a racer and the Indy 500 is the greatest race in the world. I love the incredible fans who make it so special for all of us drivers and make me want to come back. I have maximum respect for this race and everyone who competes in it and all I want to do is race against them and give my best, as always.

“It was important for me to explore my options for this race but Arrow McLaren SP has always been at the top. I have a special relationship with McLaren; we’ve been through a lot together and that creates a bond, a loyalty that is strong.

“But more than that, I am impressed with how the new organisation and operation is developing into a strong package with the Chevrolet partnership. The team has experienced, well-qualified people and great resources, and I’m confident we can be competitive.

“I’m focused and excited to begin our preparations. It will also be great to work with Oliver and Pato, two fantastic young talents for the future who are growing all the time.”

Sam Schmidt, Co-Owner, Arrow McLaren SP:

"Adding Fernando to the team brings a level of experience and expertise that will benefit our two young, talented full-time drivers in Oliver and Pato. We have fast cars at Indy and fully believe he has the talent to run at the front, not just participate. That, combined with Chevy power and the experience of the team, will make this trio of drivers one of the strongest in the field.”

Zak Brown, CEO, McLaren Racing:

“We’ve always said we’re open to running Fernando in a third car for the 500, so we’re delighted he’s decided to join us. Fernando is one of the greatest drivers in the sport and it’s fantastic to have him as part of the team. It’s a fine way to contest our first Indy 500 as Arrow McLaren SP and to have Ruoff Mortgage backing Fernando is a perfect partnership.

Mark Music, CEO, Ruoff Mortgage:

“We are beyond thrilled to sponsor such a world-class and respected driver and to partner with Arrow McLaren SP this year. We hope Fernando takes home the coveted Triple Crown of Motorsport in the Ruoff Mortgage IndyCar at this year’s Indy 500. It’s going to be a very exciting race.”
Old 03-11-2020, 09:16 AM

https://racer.com/2020/03/10/whats-p...-manufacturer/

The opening gambit in IndyCar’s pursuit of new engine manufacturers involves securing the two brands who’ve driven the series forward since 2012.

Considered the bedrock of anything that might follow with third or fourth engine suppliers, receiving commitments from the five-time IndyCar manufacturers’ champions at Chevrolet, and the current back-to-back champions at Honda, is the starting point for Penske Corporation president Bud Denker and the series’ leadership team.

Provided those contract extensions are forthcoming, exploring the interest held within the dozens of marques sold through Penske’s auto dealerships will follow.

“First step is to get Chevy and Honda’s contracts done longer-term; once we do that, then we can set out,” Denker told RACER. “Our connection is with the manufacturers that we have; we sell 38, 39 brands. We’re agnostic on all of them, but we do need to get another manufacturer in the series, and that’s going to be our goal.”

Admittedly, without both in place to usher in the new hybrid 2.4-liter twin-turbo V6 formula in 2022, the NTT IndyCar Series would find itself in a world of hurt.

Known for fostering loyalty and long-term relationships with Team Penske’s sponsors and partners, Denker says IndyCar’s new owners will ensure the series longstanding engine suppliers are taken care of before the quest for new manufacturers gains momentum.

“The number one most important thing we can do now is take care of the two partners,” he acknowledged. “Chevrolet and Honda are taking care of us, so as we work on extending our relationship with them, that’s job one. Once that’s done, beyond 2021, then we have the opportunity to go out and pursue another or others into the series, but we can’t do that until you ensure you have the first two ready to go. I would say we’re close on that, and it’s not going to give any timeframes on it, but it’s a very positive feeling. They love the series; they love that what it provides to their technology, love what it provides to their relevance in terms of technology. I’m positive on that.”

Prior to the acquisition of IndyCar and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway by Penske Entertainment, series CEO Mark Miles and president Jay Frye logged a heavy ration of international travel meeting with potential engine suppliers from every major market.

Adding the vast influence, and well-developed auto industry contracts held by the Penske Corporation to the existing work performed by Miles and Frye gives IndyCar its best chance of securing the engine partner is has badly needed since Lotus departed in 2012.

“Jay Frye’s been out there on his own the most – he and Mark Miles – trying to find a third manufacturer,” Denker said. “They’ve done a great job in approaching many manufacturers. I know who they are, but they’ve been two-man show for the most part, right? We do have some reach, no doubt. We sell 500,000 cars a year, and we have a lot of relationships. But we can’t just sell becoming a third manufacturer on our relationships alone. Joining IndyCar has to mean something to the partners that we’re talking to.”

Easing the supply burden on Chevy and Honda remains a key goal of signing a third manufacturer. Denker says all of Penske Corporation’s available firepower will be used in those efforts, and with the looming need to begin initial design and manufacturing on the 2022 engines by the end of the year, the window to land a new engine partner will only narrow as the months pass by.

“Roger Penske and I will be very involved, and Greg Penske as well, and the three of us will be very involved in speaking to those manufacturers once we have Chevrolet and once we have Honda confirmed,” he said.

“There’s 24 [full-time] cars to support now with two suppliers. We want to get it to eight, eight and eight, with eight cars each manufacturer. That’s the ultimate goal. And guess what? If you have more manufacturers, they’re going to activate better, so our TV partner is going to be happier; the promoters are going to be happier, and the teams are going to be happier, right? That falls into play here; it’s a very important element of us moving forward in the future.”
Old 03-11-2020, 09:17 AM

https://racer.com/2020/03/10/cota-in...irus-measures/

A new decree from the city of Austin, Texas, has outlawed events containing more than 2500 attendees in an attempt to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

The ban, announced Monday, went into immediate effect and extends through May 1. Round 4 of the upcoming NTT IndyCar Season, held at Circuit of The Americas in outer Austin, is scheduled to be held April 24-26, and would easily exceed the 2500-person limit.

“From now through May 1, events with 2,500 or more people are prohibited unless organizers are able to assure Austin Public Health (APH) that mitigation plans for infectious diseases are in place,”the statement says. “Each event will be evaluated case-by-case.

“APH will conduct a risk assessment for every event of 2,500 or more people, including special events and permanently-permitted venues with a capacity of 2,500 or more.”

In order to receive approval for the COTA IndyCar race, the track would need to present a virus outbreak mitigation plan to APH, and provided it’s accepted, the race would go forward. A three-page checklist has been provided for venues like COTA to submit to the APH, which contains clear wording on the intended goal and potential changes to the review process.

It states: “In order to mitigate the spread of disease, this information will allow staff to provide the event sponsor guidance about how they can make improvements to ensure the overall health and safety of their event. Please note this checklist is subject to change due to the evolving nature of COVID-19 and guidance from federal, state and local government. Events already permitted in the City of Austin will be required to submit responses to this checklist in order to maintain their existing permit.”

RACER understands COTA has already been in touch with local authorities regarding the IndyCar race, and with a proper mitigation plan in place, the likelihood of receiving a permit to continue with the race as scheduled is said to be highly favorable.

COTA delivered an update Tuesday morning on Twitter saying the race will go forward, suggesting the mitigation plan was approved.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:06 AM

https://racer.com/2020/04/06/detroit...ycar-schedule/

IndyCar’s Detroit GP has been canceled, but Iowa and Laguna Seca are now doubleheaders and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway will host a second road race in October.

Those were the latest schedule changes announced Monday by Roger Penske and IndyCar in an effort to try and outflank the coronavirus and salvage the 2020 season.

As RACER.com reported a week ago, the odds of IndyCar opening the season at Detroit’s Belle Isle on May 30-31 looked shaky, and the plug finally had to be pulled on the doubleheader today.

“Detroit is in lockdown and the track preparation has to start in April, so we had no choice but to cancel,” said Penske, whose promotional efforts and improvements had turned this street race into a major weekend in Detroit’s sports scene.

But Iowa Speedway, Laguna Seca and IMS have stepped up to give IndyCar a shot at still having 15 races.

Originally set for the evening of Saturday July 18th, Iowa’s banked, bullring will now kick off on the Friday night to give IndyCar its first-ever two-day oval event. In 1979, CART ran three oval doubleheaders at Trenton, Atlanta and Michigan, but they were all on the same day. Ditto for Atlanta in 1981. Texas also staged two races in one evening in 2011.

Laguna Seca, positioned to be the season finale before the pandemic, will now host Saturday and Sunday (September 19-20) races on the scenic road course in Monterey.

“We’ve got contingency plans to take into account every possibility as when we might be able to start racing, and when we asked Iowa and Laguna about a second race they loved the idea,” said Mark Miles, president of Penske Entertainment.

“A third race at Indianapolis just seemed like a natural fit, since we already had the eight-hour GT World Challenge running that weekend. We may not be in as many cities, but we can make up these races with the help of our promoters.”

IndyCar will share the billing with NASCAR’s Xfinity series on July 3 at the IMS road course, and then run the 104th Indianapolis 500 on August 23rd. The Harvest Grand Prix is the name for the Speedway’s October 3 race.

As it stands today, Texas is the season-opener on June 6, and Miles says he still expects St. Petersburg to host the finale in mid-October.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:13 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/n...dycar/4788372/

Zak Brown, CEO of McLaren, has admitted that Jimmie Johnson and Jenson Button are interested in racing a third Arrow McLaren SP-Chevrolet, while Fernando Alonso could also compete in rounds other than the Indy 500.

So far the only one of this trio with a confirmed entry is two-time Formula 1 World Champion Alonso. The 38-year-old Spaniard is aiming to make his second Indianapolis 500 start this year, after following up his highly impressive 2017 Indy 500 debut in an Andretti Autosport entry with last year’s painful DNQ following multiple troubles for his McLaren team.

However, before the coronavirus pandemic brought U.S. racing to a halt, Motorsport.com had learned that Alonso was also due to run a third McLaren SP – alongside rising stars Patricio O’Ward and Oliver Askew – in the GMR Grand Prix of Indianapolis on the IMS road course. That arrangement is believed to still hold firm, although rather than back to back events, GP Indy is currently set for July 4, while the 104th running of the 500 is due to be held on Aug. 23.

Seven-time NASCAR Cup champion Jimmie Johnson, who is intending 2020 to be his final year as a full-time NASCAR driver, was due to test a McLaren SP machine at Barber Motorsports Park in April, and remains interested in competing on an IndyCar road course. However, even before the Covid-19 pandemic compressed all racing series schedules, that was more likely to lead to a race debut in 2021.

In early March, Motorsport.com was also told off the record that Arrow McLaren SP staff were preparing for its third entry to be piloted by 2009 World Champion Jenson Button, possibly as soon as the Road America round, slated for June 21.

However, in his podcast with Motorsport.com’s James Allen and Jonathan Noble [see below], Zak Brown admitted that Johnson’s and Button’s IndyCar ambitions have been temporarily put on ice by the lack of testing days available in the revised 2020 calendar.

“I've spoken with all three of them,” Brown declared. “All three of them really enjoy IndyCar racing. All three want to race.

“All three are extremely competitive. I think IndyCar now has just come out with a testing restriction, so unfortunately that might make this year more difficult, because I don't think any of those would want to just jump into a car, you know, cold in Friday practice.

“I think they're all too professional and know the sport is too competitive to think that they can just hop in without an appropriate amount of testing.

“But I would say all three of those drivers… I wouldn't be surprised to see one or all three in an IndyCar at some point, and I think that'd be very exciting.”

As well as winning the 2009 title with Brawn GP – which morphed into the Mercedes-Benz works team – Button scored eight wins for McLaren and finished runner-up in the 2011 championship.
The following users liked this post:
Legend2TL (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 11:21 AM
AZ Community Team

Really curious to see how Button would do in a modern IndyCar race
Old 05-05-2020, 12:26 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Button has been associated with Honda for so long that it's hard to imagine him driving a Chevy. Would be very interesting to see him in Indycars though.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:37 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,657 Likes on 2,491 Posts
Totally missed the aeroscreen pictures. I would have thought the original renderings of that thing would be better integrated into the car. That thing just looks slapped on.

Quick Reply: IndyCar: News and Discussion Thread