Horrific Crash at Macau GP F3 Race

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 07:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,881 Likes on 3,491 Posts
Horrific Crash at Macau GP F3 Race

Thankfully, lived through this crash with a spinal fracture. https://www.grandprix247.com/2018/11...acau-f3-final/

Last edited by Chief F1 Fan; 11-18-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:51 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,067 Likes on 767 Posts
Scary. Glad that she is relatively okay.

This is the type of crash that the Halo would have helped, yet F3 doesn't have the Halo. Which goes to show the uselessness of the Halo.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:15 AM
~HondaF1~

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts
I couldn't believe it when I saw the footage. Crazy. I totally thought she was dead. I was mortified.

So thankful none of the 5 people that were sent to the hospital perished. Nuts.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:19 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Saw this posted on another forum, where most of the comments are criticizing that fact that a 17 yr old was driving a race car at those speeds, despite the fact that these kids start racing at 4-6yrs old & are far more qualified & experienced than most that were commenting on it.

Glad she survived what looked like a horrific crash.

Seems a lot of the YouTube crash videos involving motorsport always have a few clips from Macau. Such a tight circuit.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:41 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,657 Likes on 2,491 Posts
Was it brake failure cause it looked like the car never even tried to slow down at all?
Old 11-19-2018, 11:04 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,026 Likes on 2,504 Posts
Thank goodness her injury were't worst, that looked horrific.
What saved her was the structure her car hit deformed greatly and absorbed the energy and had far lower deceleration than a more solid structure.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:23 AM
~HondaF1~

...out of surgery for now:

Old 11-19-2018, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Thank goodness her injury were't worst, that looked horrific.
What saved her was the structure her car hit deformed greatly and absorbed the energy and had far lower deceleration than a more solid structure.

One of the angles above/behind the structure she hit, shows it move what looks like a couple feet.
Hopefully she mends up well.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,881 Likes on 3,491 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Was it brake failure cause it looked like the car never even tried to slow down at all?
No, apparently she didn't slow in time for a car she was following when a yellow flag came out, she hit that car, tore off her right front suspension, hit another car which launched her in to the air as she had no brakes.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:30 PM

Damn. Makes sense though. Basically launched at full speed. Lucky to be alive.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:04 PM

https://www.crash.net/f3/news/911653...-comeback-2019

As she continues to recover from her high-speed Macau Formula 3 accident last month, Sophia Flörsch firms up her racing plans for next season.

Sophia Flörsch has confirmed her plans to return to Formula 3 in 2019 once her recovery from her Macau Grand Prix crash is complete.

Flörsch, 18, sustained a spinal fracture in a high-speed accident at the Macau Formula 3 finale last month that left her requiring surgery, but she has since returned home and is confirmed to have “no fear of paralysis."

Flörsch raced in the FIA European Formula 3 Championship through 2018, and will remain in the category – renamed Formula European Masters – for 2019 once her recovery is complete.

“I am convinced that the Formula European Masters is the perfect race series for me,” Flörsch said.

“The car is fantastic. It offers young drivers the opportunity to learn a lot. This is demonstrated by history. After all, countless racing drivers learned their trade in these cars and their predecessors to make it to the top categories of motor racing, afterwards. And the DTM environment is fantastic!

“I love to keep on competing for Van Amersfoort Racing as I feel really comfortable in the team. It certainly wasn’t easy at the beginning as I had absolutely no Formula 3 experience. But they taught me a lot and now I want to celebrate successes with them.”

Flörsch is aiming to get back behind the wheel of an F1 car in the early part of 2019.

“When I watched the video of my accident for the first time it felt somewhat surreal. I know that I was lucky and am thankful that the Dallara is such a safe car,” Flörsch said.

“I already may begin with gentle training and hope that I will be able to get into the cockpit of my racing car, in spring.

“If my rehabilitation runs as planned and I won’t enter the season with leeway, it’s my goal to regularly make it to the top five and secure a win, every now and then.”

“Despite having joined the 2018 season late she did a really good job,” said Van Amersfoort Racing team boss Frits van Amersfoort.

“Nonetheless, there still are things she can learn in the Formula European Masters. But she also will make use of her experience to regularly try to battle it out for top-10 positions.

“We are delighted that Sophia will keep on racing for us as she’s a real asset to our team with her motivation.

“As soon as she has fully recovered, we will have a car ready for her."
Old 03-07-2019, 09:49 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e...macau/4348508/

Formula 3 racer Sophia Floersch has made her comeback to the cockpit, less than four months after her horrific high-speed aerial Macau Grand Prix accident.

The 18-year-old German has been taking part in a two-day test at Monza with Van Amersfoort Racing as she prepares for the Formula European Masters series, which uses the cars from the discontinued FIA European F3 Championship.

Floersch completed over 90 laps of the Italian Grand Prix circuit on Wednesday in good weather conditions, setting a best laptime of 1m44.548s to top the leaderboard, albeit mostly against F4 and Formula Regional-spec machinery.

The test has continued into Thursday, but conditions have turned wet.

Floersch, who sustained a spinal fracture in the Macau shunt, had previously been on the simulator at VAR’s workshop before hitting the track at Monza this week.

Team boss Frits van Amersfoort said Floersch has shown absolutely no ill-effects from the injuries during the Monza test.

“She’s extremely fit,” van Amersfoort told Motorsport.com. “We’re the only F3 cars here so we can’t really compare times.

“But put it this way: I think she looks stronger than she did in the whole of last year; we’re quite satisfied with what she’s doing.

“It’s starting to feel a little bit like Mick Schumacher [who the team ran in German Formula 4 in 2015] – we had over 20 photographers hanging over our pit box yesterday!

“Sophia’s comeback is some kind of news, but also it’s time to deliver now and forget about the accident.”

Floersch has been joined in the VAR line-up at the Monza test by ex-BRDC Formula 3 and Formula Renault Eurocup racer Callan O'Keeffe.

The 22-year-old South African, a former Red Bull and Lotus F1 Junior, has not raced since 2017 but is hoping for a comeback in Formula European Masters.

“I’m quite impressed by [O'Keeffe],” said van Amersfoort. “He’s still a little bit rusty after a long time out, but he’s extremely motivated and he has worked quite well in the gym.

“He’s doing a good job and we hope to have him in the car this season.”

The team is also in discussions with Petru Florescu, who contested several rounds of the 2018 Euro F3 series with Fortec Motorsport.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:09 AM

That is awesome she is back racing after such a horrible crash.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:58 AM
~HondaF1~

For sure, hope she kicks arse
Old 03-28-2019, 08:23 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-r...foort/4359182/

Van Amersfoort Racing has elected to take Sophia Floersch into the new Formula Regional European Championship following the collapse of Formula European Masters.

The Dutch team has made the move rather than switching to Euroformula Open, which admits the same Dallara Formula 3 chassis and Mercedes engines as VAR would have run in FEM.
The Italian-run Formula Regional series is based upon the FIA Regional F3 Tatuus chassis, powered by a turbocharged Alfa Romeo engine.
VAR will come up against its former FIA F3 European Championship rival Prema Powerteam, as well as the US Racing squad of former Mercedes DTM boss Gerhard Ungar and ex-F1 star Ralf Schumacher, which has expanded from German Formula 4.
Team boss Frits van Amersfoort told Motorsport.com: “Nothing against Euroformula Open, but the Dallara F312 is at the end of its lifetime, the end of its homologation, and we thought ‘Why not try something new?’
“We are going with Sophia – we don’t have a second driver yet, but we are speaking to people, and we believe this is the right move.”

Time is tight for VAR, because its rival FRegional teams have been out testing and the first round is at Paul Ricard on the weekend of 13-14 April.

Some VAR staff have collected their first Tatuus chassis and are delivering it directly to the Nurburgring, where the rollout will take place on Thursday and Friday.

“We realise that we have got time to make up, but that’s inevitable,” said van Amersfoort.

“We have no real expectations, but let’s see how it develops.”

Although entries for FRegional look set to be in the teens for its inaugural season, van Amersfoort believes it is ripe to take off for next season.

The series runs alongside the Italian Formula 4 Championship, in which VAR is also competing, at many of its rounds.

“Italian F4 has 38 cars this year, so we think that the market for Regional next year will be quite good,” said van Amersfoort.

Among Floersch's opponents in 2019 will be Prema trio Oli Caldwell, Enzo Fittipaldi and Frederik Vesti, as well as David Schumacher, who is driving for father Ralf's US Racing team