18. Kazuki Nakajima Japan Williams-Toyota 1:50.125
19. Jenson Button Britain Honda 1:50.464
20. Rubens Barrichello Brazil Honda 1:50.905
Old 09-07-2008 | 08:42 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Man oh man am I glad I got up to watch!
Old 09-07-2008 | 10:00 AM
Senior Moderator

I'm glad I got up early enough (9AM Eastern) to watch the last 7 laps! And who says a race is over ... until it's over! Well, so long Kimi. I think Ferrari might give you the boot after today's performance (and some of the antics pulled during the course of the season) ...
Old 09-07-2008 | 05:24 PM
Drifting

I'm very happy to see that twat Hamilton have his win taken away, the last couple laps seemed kind of sketchy to me...
Old 09-07-2008 | 08:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 2000TaffetaTL
I'm very happy to see that twat Hamilton have his win taken away, the last couple laps seemed kind of sketchy to me...

Anyway, this begs the question(s):

if the stewards say that cutting the chicane can not give the driver any unfair advantage, such as eliminating the gap, how long was hamilton supposed to wait before he made a move on kimi? was he supposed to ask the pits to calculate exactly how big the gap was before he went off? what’s realistic under the circumstances?

and it sure looked to me that kimi closed the door on hamilton pretty hard initially on that pass. where’s kimi’s penalty for that? should it all even out the way the stewards might have said if it did were a ferrari making the pass?
LINK
^^ Question posed by onthepodium in the link above
Old 09-08-2008 | 07:51 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

This was an outrageous decision by the race stewards, especially in light of Massa's no-penalty in Valencia. Once again the FIA shows its complete lack of impartiality when it comes to Ferrari.

Old 09-08-2008 | 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Even Charles Whiting opined that Hami should not be penalized for the maneuver: LINK
Old 09-08-2008 | 12:08 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Ferrari FTW
Old 09-08-2008 | 12:16 PM
Drifting

To be fair, after reading a lot into the incident I still feel Hamilton gained a huge advantage cutting that chicane, so I think the punishment isn't necessarily fitting, but don't disapprove of it.
Old 09-08-2008 | 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 2000TaffetaTL
To be fair, after reading a lot into the incident I still feel Hamilton gained a huge advantage cutting that chicane, so I think the punishment isn't necessarily fitting, but don't disapprove of it.
Let's recap:

The leaders entered the chicane side by side as their tyres spewed grey smoke. After banging wheels with Raikkonen, Hamilton cut across the inside of the chicane and emerged on to the pit straight ahead of the world champion. In accordance with the rules, he braked to allow Raikkonen to pass him, before attacking for a second time, overtaking Raikkonen on the inside. Raikkonen got back ahead of Hamilton but then crashed out on the penultimate lap as the drivers struggled with dry tyres on a wet track.
LINK
Old 09-08-2008 | 04:01 PM
Drifting

I've heard he didn't brake, just let off the gas for long enough to let Raikkonen get slightly in front of him and then took off back around Raikkonen. Maybe if Hamilton hadn't received so much praise early on I wouldn't feel so negatively about him, but I truly cannot stand him so I don't see the problem here.
Old 09-08-2008 | 04:12 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

If anything, maybe you could say Hamilton should be put on probation as a deterrent to him or other drivers from deliberately cutting a chicane. Even that is tenuous at best. Stripping him of the win is nothing short of ridiculous.
Old 09-08-2008 | 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

On a personal note, I think this has more to do with Hami getting the Wendell Scott treatment from FIA.
Old 09-09-2008 | 11:28 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

WOKING, England (AP) -- McLaren appealed the time penalty that cost Lewis Hamilton the victory at the Belgian Grand Prix.

Race stewards penalized Hamilton 25 seconds for cutting across a chicane to overtake then-leader Kimi Raikkonen during the closing stages of Sunday's race. Hamilton re-emerged onto the track and allowed the Ferrari driver back into the lead before overtaking for good.

''From the pit wall, we then asked race control to confirm that they were comfortable that Lewis had allowed Kimi to re-pass, and they confirmed twice that they believed that the position had been given back in a manner that was 'OK,''' McLaren chief executive Martin Whitmarsh said Tuesday.

''If race control had instead expressed any concern regarding Lewis' actions at that time, we would have instructed Lewis to allow Kimi to re-pass for a second time.''

The appeal will be heard by FIA's International Court of Appeal, although it was unclear when that hearing would take place.

Hamilton was demoted to third place and Felipe Massa of Ferrari was upgraded to first. Instead of an eight-point edge, Hamilton still retains the lead a 76-74 margin with 50 more points at stake in the remaining five races. The next race is the Italian GP on Sunday.

Hamilton said he had no choice but to go off course to avoid a collision.

''After allowing Kimi to completely re-pass, I crossed from the left side of the track to the right side of the track, passing behind Kimi in the process,'' Hamilton said. ''I then attacked Kimi on the inside of the first corner, and successfully outbraked him.''
Let's see what happens now.
Old 09-09-2008 | 11:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzKMyFCaZy0

Analysis of the overtake. Interesting.
Old 09-09-2008 | 01:53 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Good analysis.
Old 09-09-2008 | 04:12 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by uzzmaan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzKMyFCaZy0

Analysis of the overtake. Interesting.
I never caught the race, but that analysis appears to be spot on, I think the original result should stand.
Old 09-10-2008 | 08:28 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

McLaren has issued some more statements about the decision of the FIA Stewards in Belgium.

"Following our decision to register our intention to appeal the penalty handed out to Lewis Hamilton by the FIA Stewards at the 2008 Belgian Grand Prix, we hereby confirm that we have now lodged notice of appeal," said team boss Martin Whitmarsh. "From the pit wall, we then asked Race Control to confirm that they were comfortable that Lewis had allowed Kimi to repass, and they confirmed twice that they believed that the position had been given back in a manner that was 'OK'. If Race Control had instead expressed any concern regarding Lewis’s actions at that time, we would have instructed Lewis to allow Kimi to repass for a second time."

Hamilton himself has made the following statement.

"In the closing stages of the race I was catching Kimi consistently, lap by lap, and with three laps remaining I got close enough to attempt to overtake him on the entry to the last chicane. I managed to get slightly ahead of him in the braking area for the first apex of the chicane. He fought back approaching the second apex - but, in doing so, he left no room for me on the inside line. The only way for me to avoid a collision was therefore to cut inside the second apex. I came out of the second apex in front of Kimi and so I momentarily lifted-off on the straight, to ensure that Kimi got back in front. The team also came on the radio and instructed me to allow Kimi to repass, which I had already done. As a result, Kimi crossed the start/finish line ahead of me and 6.7km/h quicker than me. After allowing Kimi to completely repass, I crossed from the left side of the track to the right side of the track, passing behind Kimi in the process. I then attacked Kimi on the inside of the first corner, and successfully outbraked him."
I don't like McLaren or Hamilton, but someone needs to look into the race stewards' backgrounds. I'm sure they all belong to the Ferrari Fan Club. What's the point in having a race control if the FFC, err, I mean Mosley's Boys overrule them after the race.
Old 09-10-2008 | 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator

I was just watching the highlight video on F1.com, and Hamilton didn't need to cut that chicane. I have watched that footage a bunch of times and it just was not necessary,....it was necessary of course to maintain the attack advantage he had though.
Old 09-10-2008 | 05:09 PM

All I have to say is those were some very interesting laps to end the GP of Belgium. Rain right at the last moment.... I do have to admit I was disappointed and surprised when Raikkonen spun out when the track got wet.
Old 09-10-2008 | 05:11 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Originally Posted by West6MT
I was just watching the highlight video on F1.com, and Hamilton didn't need to cut that chicane. I have watched that footage a bunch of times and it just was not necessary,....it was necessary of course to maintain the attack advantage he had though.
A) I disagree with your assessment. B) How is it even relevant since Lewis let him back by in a manner that race control confirmed as satisfactory?
Old 09-10-2008 | 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Billiam
A) I disagree with your assessment. B) How is it even relevant since Lewis let him back by in a manner that race control confirmed as satisfactory?
A) Disagree all you like

B) It allowed him to be inches behind Kimi later down the front straight when he let him go by instead of further back had he stayed on track and not cut the chicane,...which he could have done (which you disagree with). He was ahead coming into the corner, but didnt have the inside, and there was no way Kimi would leave the door wide open on the left hander of the chicane. Hamilton was beat in that corner but stayed on it and cut the chicane instead of lifting off. That let him be closer than he would have, and I don't think the pass later down was legit as a result.

Doesn't matter to me if everyone in here disagrees with me, that's how I see it. I have watched it a dozen times at regular speed. Hamilton would have got around Kimi later on anyway. The fact that I disagree with the race control "OK" on the legitimacy of all of that doesn't matter. It's my opinion. The FIA has its own ideas anyway.
Old 09-11-2008 | 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

I think I need to change my assessment of the chicane cutting. I was watching some in-car footage today and it appears Kimi braked a bit early and Hamilton had to avoid him to the left side and was a bit surprised perhaps. In any event, I still think he didn't fully give the spot back, and he even said himself he got into Kimi's slipstream.
Old 09-12-2008 | 02:22 AM
Senior Moderator

I thought this was interesting from the press conference in Italy with a number of drivers

Source: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/9/8358.html

Q: (Dan Knutson - National Speed Sport News) Could I ask the other four drivers what they thought about that incident and Kimi, and as a follow-up, do you think you and other drivers might be afraid to fight for a position now that you might get a penalty?

GF: I have just seen pictures, so it is difficult for me to say whether what happened was right or not. For sure, maybe, he took a small advantage, that's why he had the possibility, as Felipe said, to overtake him again in braking for turn one. But obviously, a 25s penalty was quite a strong penalty. As for the second question: when we get in the car and we're fighting to overtake a car, we don't think about that. We just try to do our best. Obviously we know if we cut a chicane or we take an advantage we need to back off and give the position back.

SB: Yes, I think the rules are very clear. Maybe the penalty was a bit hard, but I think he's made the same mistake twice: he's done it in Magny-Cours and he's done it again in Spa. I don't really understand why there's been such a mess around it. There's a rule book and everybody has to obey the same thing. The penalty is really rough but in the end it's up to you to give the position back or not. Pretty straightforward.
NR: Yeah, I definitely agree, because he did get an advantage, because he wouldn't have been that close behind Kimi had he not cut the chicane. But then again, I also think the penalty was a bit harsh as that did not have such a big effect on the actual race result in the end.

JT: Well, I agree completely with my colleagues. The penalty was quite big but I'm not a steward and I cannot decide what kind of penalty should be given. But on the other hand, it was very clear that he got an advantage out of it, so that's where it is. The rules are very clear. If you cut the chicane and you get an advantage, you just have to drop back and give back the position and in Lewis's case he shouldn't have attacked straight away at the next corner; that was it. On the other hand, with this new chicane, there is a lot of run-off, it gives you more chance to attack because in the case of a mistake, you wouldn't end up in a wall or in the gravel. If it was the case of Lewis in Spa, he wouldn't have gone much further than that. We have more chances to overtake.

SB: I think it was very clear and I agree as well. You have to be responsible for what you decide to do, and in this particular case, if you do gain an advantage like I said, you just give it back and make sure that you don't expose yourself to penalties. I think it's the easiest way to handle it. In my previous experience, my previous life in the States, it was actually a common thing. The stewards would not take action if you gave the position back, so I think it's only fair.

NR: I agree and I don't think it's going to stop us from trying to attack, definitely.

Q: (Ian Parkes - The Press Association) To any one of you: although it says in the rules you give a place back, does it say in the rules how much advantage you are supposed to give back? Because Lewis was effectively second both crossing the line - the time sheets prove that - and also going into the La Source hairpin. Just for clarification because we don't know the rules like you guys do.
SB: The rules are available for everybody to read I think and they are very clear. You gain an advantage, you gain an advantage. It doesn't matter how big it is, if you end up being in a position to pass at the next corner then you gain an advantage, because at that place, as everybody said, you are never going to be in a position to pass, if you exit the chicane normally behind the guy, because it stretches out, it's normal. It's very simple, I think.

Last edited by West6MT; 09-12-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-12-2008 | 09:53 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Appeal Hearing Date Set:

McLaren's appeal against Lewis Hamilton's 25-second penalty at the Belgian Grand Prix will be heard by the FIA International Court of Appeal on September 22. The court will have to decide whether or not McLaren has a right to appeal the decision.
Old 09-23-2008 | 10:47 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

No surprises

The FIA Court of Appeal has rejected the McLaren appeal from the Grand Prix of Belgium on the grounds that Article 152 of the International Sporting Code states that drive-through penalties are "not susceptible to appeal". The decision was made by Philippe Narmino (Monaco), Xavier Conesa (Spain), Harry Duijm (Netherlands), Thierry Juillard (Switzerland) and Erich Sedelmeyer (Austria).

"We are naturally disappointed with today's verdict, and to have received no ruling on the substance of our appeal," said Martin Whitmarsh. "No-one wants to win Grands Prix in court; but we felt that Lewis had won the Belgian Grand Prix, on track, in an exciting and impressive manner. Our legal team and witnesses calmly explained this, as well as our belief that the appeal should be admissible, to the FIA International Court of Appeal. It nonetheless decided that our appeal was inadmissible. We will now concentrate on the remaining four races of the 2008 Formula 1 season."

The decision is odd in that the Court of Appeal last year accepted an appeal by the Automobile Club d’Italia on behalf of its licence-holder Scuderia Toro Rosso against a decision at the Japanese Grand Prix for an identical penalty which was given to Vitantonio Liuzzi, for having overtaken another competitor while a yellow flag restriction was in place. In that case the decision of the Stewards was upheld. None of the judges involved were the same but it is hard to see how one appeal is admissible and another is not. There is no doubt some convoluted explanation but the fans of F1 will not understand nor care.

Lewis Hamilton responded as one would expect.

"All I want to do now is put this matter behind me and get on with what we drivers do best: racing each other," he said. "We're racers, we're naturally competitive, and we love to overtake. Overtaking is difficult, and it feels great when you manage to pull off a great passing manoeuvre. If it pleases the spectators and TV viewers, it's better still."
Old 09-23-2008 | 01:47 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Too bad McLaren doesn't use wheel covers. I'd love to see them show up in Singapore with something like this on the car.

Old 09-23-2008 | 02:11 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Too bad McLaren doesn't use wheel covers. I'd love to see them show up in Singapore with something like this on the car.

McLaren does use wheel covers. Actually, I think every team on the grid has wheel covers now. However, except for Honda and Ferrari,
all the wheel covers are carbon fiber black, so it's sometimes hard to tell.

What does that pizza pie mean? McLaren orange?
Old 09-23-2008 | 02:17 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Originally Posted by F-C
What does that pizza pie mean?
C'mon man, think about it.
Old 09-23-2008 | 02:20 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

The % of time that McLaren gets screwed over?
Old 09-23-2008 | 02:28 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

25 seconds
Old 09-23-2008 | 02:38 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

25 seconds
Too post modernist for me.
Old 09-23-2008 | 05:59 PM
Instructor

Dont like Hamilton either