Formula One: 2019 Season News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 04:01 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...rance/4477354/

Honda will introduce its second upgrade of the Formula 1 season at the French Grand Prix, where three cars will benefit from its latest specification engine.

The Japanese manufacturer will give the Red Bulls of Max Verstappen and Pierre Gasly, plus Daniil Kvyat's Toro Rosso, a fresh engine upgraded mainly around the combustion engine and turbocharger.

Kvyat will incur a grid drop as a result of the change. Honda's first upgrade of the season, introduced only four races ago in Azerbaijan, centred on reliability.

Its Spec 3 engine has shown a power increase during dyno testing but the performance boost is not expected to be as great as the Spec 3 last year, which produced a more significant gain.

Traditionally a manufacturer would not be expected to roll out its second engine upgrade until after the summer break, at race 13 or 14.

Honda's new engine is not being introduced because of a problem with the previous specification.

Instead, the decision to hand the upgrade its debut has been made in conjunction with its teams and according to its 2019 plan.

Honda is not changing the engine in the second Toro Rosso is because that would trigger a grid penalty for Alex Albon as well as Kvyat.

Toro Rosso wants to avoid both its drivers receiving a grid penalty in the same race.

The upgraded turbocharger is the result of input from the Sakura research and development facility and other Honda engine expertise, plus working alongside turbocharger manufacturer IHI.

A similar internal Honda collaboration produced the manufacturer's major reliability breakthrough with its upgraded MGU-H last year.

Honda F1 technical director Toyoharu Tanabe said: "In producing this Spec 3 PU [power unit], we have updated the turbocharger thanks to the knowledge and technology of the aero engine department in the area of aerodynamic design.

"Our test bench data shows a power increase over the previous version of our PU, however we know that we have not yet matched the figures from the manufacturers currently leading the championship.

"But it's a step in the right direction and we will continue our development throughout the rest of the season, calling on the resources of the whole company."

Old 06-20-2019, 08:09 AM

Never did like the MW branding/liveries. The 90 Years looks vastly superior, IMO.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...moved/4477401/

The Ferrari Formula 1 and Ducati MotoGP teams could run without their Mission Winnow branding for the remainder of the season, Motorsport.com has learned.

Both outfits are sponsored by the initiative of title partner Philip Morris, which is part of a move to a non-tobacco future for the company as it moves to electronic cigarettes.

But the Mission Winnow presence has caused some controversy this year, with Ferrari voluntarily removing the logosfor the season opener in Australiabecause of an investigation in the country over whether it breached tobacco advertising laws.

Cigarette sponsorship regulations in Canada and France prompted the removal of logos from the Ferrari cars for these races too, while Ducati did the same for its recent MotoGP race at Le Mans.

McLaren sponsor British American Tobacco has also had to remove its branding at races this year for similar reasons, having pushed its own innovation campaign.

Sources have now suggested that amid growing external scrutiny on campaigns like Mission Winnow, Philip Morris is considering removing the logos for a longer period than originally anticipated – and potentially for the rest of the year.

It is suggested that the Mission Winnow branding will be taken off Ducati from the next race in The Netherlands, while they will not return to the Ferrari cars in the short term at least.

When running without the Mission Winnow branding, Ferrari has featured logos on its car, garage panels and personnel uniforms to celebrate its 90th anniversary.

As well as removing the logos from the Ferrari cars, the team's official name on the entry list has also changed from Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow to just Scuderia Ferrari.

It is also understood Ducati's team name will change from Mission Winnow Ducati to the Ducati Team.

Both Ferrari and Ducati declined to comment on the possibility of the Mission Winnow branding not returning when contacted regarding the story.

Philip Morris spokesman, Simon Dowding, said: "As a matter of practice, we do not comment on rumours and speculation.

"As announced at the start of the season, we may on a race-by-race basis provide opportunities to our partners to communicate messages in place of Mission Winnow.

"As was the case in Australia and Canada, Scuderia Ferrari will again celebrate their 90th anniversary on the livery and team uniforms at the Formula 1 GP in France this weekend. We will continue to share more information as appropriate ahead of each race."

Old 06-20-2019, 08:42 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,661 Likes on 2,494 Posts
Maybe I was in the minority but I liked the look of the logo on the car. I cared less about what it actually meant but thought it looked good. The 90th anniversary looks good as well.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:48 AM
~HondaF1~

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts
I really like the 90th look though...
Old 06-21-2019, 10:07 AM

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/39599...n-france-.html

Pirelli's Head of Car Racing Mario Isola has said that drivers will be able to push for the entire race at this weekend'sFrench Grand Prix.

Isola believes that there will not be too much tyre saving during the race at Circuit Paul Ricard, which can only be a good thing, allowing drivers to drive to the limit of their car for the entire race.

2019 is the second time the French Grand Prix has been held since its return to the calendar last season.

Isola said: “Our tyre choice this weekend is slightly more conservative than the 2018 soft, supersoft and ultrasoft tyres that we brought to France last year, as the supersoft is no longer part of the 2019 range. Consequently, the drivers should be able to push hard from the start to the finish of each stint.

“Along with Barcelona and Silverstone, we used the thinner gauge tyres in France last year, so we can again make a direct comparison about how the cars have evolved from 2018. Although a large part of the circuit has been re-asphalted, it should not make much difference to the track’s characteristics.

“With this being only the second time at the circuit, teams still do not have a full complement of data, so we will see plenty of learning. We have already used Paul Ricard for testing this year, but that has been on a much shorter, separate configuration rather than the full grand prix circuit”.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:09 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...e/4478521/amp/

Daniel Ricciardo will get exclusive use of Renault's new more powerful Spec-B engine at this weekend's French Grand Prix, with the team having fast-tracked its introduction.

On the back of strong progress from the team in recent races, Renault had already been hopeful that a major car upgrade introduced for this weekend's race in Paul Ricard would allow it to make another step forward.

However, it has now emerged that the team has further boosted its hopes of a good showing by signing off the introduction of a Spec-B power unit following encouraging signs from its engine dyno facilities.

Renault F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul said: "We will introduce a new Spec B ICE this weekend on Daniel's car. This ICE represents a good step forward in performance."

Although the team could have brought the new power unit for both its works drivers, it has elected to keep Nico Hulkenberg on the older version for this weekend because it wanted to avoid a grid penalty for the German.

Hulkenberg has used one more international combustion unit compared to Ricciardo thanks to the conrod failure that cost him a finish in the Bahrain Grand Prix.

So rather than push him down the grid for its home race, having already got through his season allocation of three engines, Renault prefers to wait for a better opportunity in the next few races to switch him over.

Abiteboul added: "Nico will take his new engine at a different race, but as he will incur a penalty for exceeding the three ICEs permitted per year, we don't want it to be in France, our home race.

"The ICE was scheduled for use at a later race, but we are ahead of schedule so are pleased to be able to use it here."

Renault's car upgrades in France this weekend include a new nose cape, floor and sidepods.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:10 AM

Mentioned in FP1 today, new Ferrari end plates on the front wing. Commentator mentioned that an aero miscalculation may have been costing them ~0.3s/lap
Old 06-22-2019, 07:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,882 Likes on 3,492 Posts
So what did Ferrari do? Put on the new endplate, take it off, put old one back on, change the floor.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:45 AM

And yet both McLaren's would have finished ahead of him had Norris not had hydrolic issue.

Oh and the race
Old 06-24-2019, 09:58 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...rules/4481239/

The FIA says the quick change of start lights at the French Grand Prix should not have caught drivers by surprise, because it was well within what the rules allow.

Sebastian Vettel was one of a few drivers to admit that he had been taken aback by just how fast the lights had gone out at the start.

"I think everybody was a bit surprised how quickly the lights went off, because they were hardly on and then they were off," explained the Ferrari driver. "I wasn't the only one that probably reacted a little bit late."

But although the lights were only on for around 0.8 seconds, F1's race director Michael Masi is clear that such a short hold was nothing out of the ordinary.

"The sequence was fine. It was all within the boundaries," said Masi. "I think a couple of drivers said it was a bit quick, but it was certainly within the tolerances that we have."

The F1 race start sequence is controlled by permanent starter Christian Bryll, who took over that role from the Bahrain Grand Prix when the duties for former F1 race director Charlie Whiting were split between him and Masi.

But Bryll has no restriction on the timing of when he decides the lights go off, for F1's regulations are open-ended on this front when dealing with the start.

Article 36.9 of F1 Sporting Regulations state: "Once all the cars have come to a halt, the five second light will appear followed by the four, three, two and one second lights. At any time after the one-second light appears, the race will be started by extinguishing all red lights."

Asked about driver complaints that the lights were out too quickly, Masi said: "It may have been from their perspective but an actual time of within the regulations, they were well and truly within the boundaries."

Old 06-24-2019, 09:59 AM

https://racer.com/2019/06/23/ricciar...for-final-lap/

Daniel Ricciardo has been hit with two penalties for his driving on the final lap of the French Grand Prix, dropping him out of the points.

Attempting to overtake Lando Norris for seventh place, Ricciardo went around the outside of the McLaren at Turn 8 — the first part of the chicane — but ran slightly wide and rejoined at Turn 9. Norris took evasive action and ran wide on the second part of the chicane, losing three positions to Ricciardo, Kimi Raikkonen and Nico Hulkenberg.

Raikkonen took advantage of Ricciardo’s off to overtake on the exit of the chicane, but the Renault picked up a slipstream and had all four wheels off track as he forced his way to the inside ahead of Signes, with the stewards deciding both incidents were worthy of a five-second time penalty that drops Ricciardo out of the points.

“At the exit of the corner (Ricciardo) distinctly left the track and the stewards determined that he rejoined at an angle that forced Norris off the track to avoid the collision,” the decision read relating to the first incident.

The stewards then analyzed whether the incident with Raikkonen was a continuation of the Norris infringement and decided it wasn’t, resulting in a separate penalty.

“Raikkonen defended his position on the straight moving slightly to the right,” the second decision read. “However, Raikkonen never put any part of his car off the track and he did not make any move to the right while any part of Ricciardo’s car was alongside, and did not crowd Ricciardo off the track.

“To make the pass Ricciardo drove off track and then subsequently completed the pass, gaining a lasting advantage.”

Having already said he would not regret his moves even if there was a penalty, Ricciardo took to Twitter to give his reaction.

“No regrets,” Ricciardo tweeted. “I tried. Would rather that than sit back without a heart.

“I am a threat of a Twitter rant. But I’ll save it. Hope everyone was entertained.”

The two penalties drop Ricciardo to 11th place, promoting Raikkonen to seventh, Hulkenberg to eighth, Norris to ninth and Pierre Gasly into the final point-paying position. Ricciardo also received a total of three penalty points for the incidents, bringing his total up to five for the 12-month period.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:36 PM

I was wondering how Norris fell so many places all at once but never stayed to watch any replays after Hamilton took the checkered flag. I assume there is probably video evidence if I go back and watch the rest of the recording.

edit: My curiosity just got the best of me and I went and pulled my recording up on YouTubeTV and had Daniel not come back onto the track after his failed overtake the way he did Norris would have most likely kept 7th so I think Norris is still getting a raw deal out of this.

Last edited by CCColtsicehockey; 06-24-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:45 AM
Senior Moderator

A new Kimi emerges in the ranks

Old 06-25-2019, 08:02 AM

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...89GnBbkKS.html

Having been on a leave of absence for close to four months, Paddy Lowe is leaving Williams and stepping down from the board of directors “with immediate effect”.

After a challenging pre-season, which saw the team miss their shakedown and the opening two days of testing because of delays to the new car’s production, it was announced Lowe would be taking a leave of absence for personal reasons.

Ahead of this weekend’s Austrian Grand Prix, which Williams head to bottom of the constructors’ championship without a point on the board, Lowe’s departure has been confirmed in a statement.

“After a period of careful reflection I have reached the decision that I will not return to work at Williams,” said Lowe.

“I wish all my previous colleagues the very best to meet the challenges ahead, which I am sure they will do. I would especially like to thank the Williams fans who are so supportive.”

Deputy Team Principal Claire Williams said: "We understand and respect the decision Paddy has reached and wish him well for the future."

Lowe was in his second stint with Williams, having begun his F1 career with the team in the late 80s. He enjoyed title-winning success with McLaren and Mercedes before re-joining the Grove-based team in March 2017.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:54 AM
~HondaF1~

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts
This should come as no surprise, we pretty much knew he was gone....

Sucks.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Paddy was a huge talent, wonder what happened. It's almost as if he had some sort of personal catastrophe and fled the F1 scene ASAP. It's too bad because he will be missed, especially by Williams who need every ounce of talent they can find or conjure up. I hate seeing Williams struggle so, they were my go-to team back in the 80's. They got bypassed by the big factory teams and their huge budgets/knowledge/aerodynamicst resources. I do love McLaren's resurgence, that's good for the sport. Hopefully their rejuvenation gives Williams some inspiration as well being similarly situated.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:43 AM

I was thinking the same, with McLaren having their phoenix-esque moment, maybe Williams is next. Maybe they'er able to make good with the upcoming regs change(s) & make a surge?
Really interesting that the Mercedes-powered teams are lower midfield/bottom tier in performance, especially with the works team so far out front. I know it's more than just raw power to get there, but it's quite the gap from 1-2 to 19-20.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:44 AM

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/40041...20-season.html

Renault F1 boss Cyril Abiteboul has revealed his team will look at other options than Nico Hulkenberg when considering their 2020 driver line-up.

Hulkenberg's three-year deal expires at the end of the current season. Daniel Ricciardo, however, will remain at the side next season, as he only signed a two-year deal at the start of this season.

Esteban Ocon could be an option for the French works-team - with Renault coming very close to signing him for the 2019 season. Ocon hasn't got a seat in Formula 1 this season but has refused to give up on the possibility, becoming Mercedes' reserve driver for the campaign.

"We have a two-year contract with Daniel," Abiteboul explained, as cited by Motorsport Week. "Nico's contract, the initial term is coming to an end at the end of this year but there is some mechanism of options as has been commented in the press which I'm not going to disclose in the details that can kick in, so it's maybe that we continue our journey with Nico.

"Frankly, Nico has delivered for the team, clearly, and if you look at where we were when, frankly, Fred (Vasseur) actually was leading that process for us. Nico joined us and where we are today, it's crazy, and the change to the team, to the buzz, and clearly the drivers are no stranger to that, it's not just engineers.

"So I think we need to give credit to that but also we need to look at the options, like everyone is doing, like I'm sure Nico is doing."
Old 06-26-2019, 07:45 AM

Hulk seems a good driver, would hate for him to drop off the grid completely, but I'd be ok with Ocon no longer -ing over Bottas' shoulder.
#MBfanboi
Old 06-26-2019, 07:46 AM

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/40042...unning-f1.html

Lewis Hamilton is not sure that his team principal atMercedes, Toto Wolff, would be the best person to take over running Formula 1.

Wolff sees his current deal at Mercedes expire at the end of the 2020 season - coincedentally, at the same time, Chase Carey (F1 CEO) sees his deal expire as well.

However, Hamilton is unsure about his current boss taking over F1, despite praising him as a manager; the five-time world champion wants to see a "complete neutral" take over the reigns.

"I don't believe there's a better manager than Toto within the whole of Formula 1," Hamilton claimed to RaceFans. "However, sitting back as a fan, sitting in the room with people who have to make ultimate decisions we, as humans, we can be biased.

"You've got (FIA President) Jean Todt who, I know Jean is level, but the fact is he's been with the red team for so long surely when he wakes up there's a red T-shirt and there's a silver T-shirt he probably goes for a red one, you know what I mean? Just like when I get out of bed and I see 44 I see number six, I will go for number 44.

"Toto has been Mercedes through and through for such a long period of time. I don't know if there's anything in that but if there's a choice of management I think he would be the best."
Old 06-26-2019, 05:53 PM
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Forgot to ask once I purchased my tickets, but is anyone going to the race at COTA this year??
Old 06-27-2019, 09:00 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Hulk seems a good driver, would hate for him to drop off the grid completely, but I'd be ok with Ocon no longer -ing over Bottas' shoulder.
#MBfanboi
+1, I'd like to see Ocon in a MB. Bottas is not as competitive at MB as Rosberg was. Granted Rosberg was at MB before Lewis arrive but this is Bottas's 3rd year with MB.
It's time for that #2 seat to go to someone new, I'd love to see Ocon or Perez get that seat.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:30 AM
AZ Community Team

2019 French Grand Prix | Seb Gets Caught At The Lights And More

More insightful analysis from Jolyon Palmer as the ex-F1 driver highlights some of the details you may have missed during this year's race at Le Castellet. ​​​​​​​
Old 06-27-2019, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by icy2
Forgot to ask once I purchased my tickets, but is anyone going to the race at COTA this year??
Doesn't look like we'll be there this year

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
+1, I'd like to see Ocon in a MB. Bottas is not as competitive at MB as Rosberg was. Granted Rosberg was at MB before Lewis arrive but this is Bottas's 3rd year with MB.
It's time for that #2 seat to go to someone new, I'd love to see Ocon or Perez get that seat.
Bottas' first year with MB went decently, awful 2018, but an improvement this year. I'm a fan of him & MB, so I'd like him to keep his drive there. Not sure where I'd put Hulk if Ocon went to Renault. I can't imagine him going to STR, unless one of their drivers got promoted to replace Gasly, maybe Alfa, if Kimi or Gio don't continue in '20.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:35 PM

Some silly season rumors?

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/40084...i-in-2020.html

Reports in the Italian and Spanish press are suggesting Fernando Alonso could be set to return to a Formula 1 seat for 2020. Rumours in Italy are suggesting a move toMercedes is on the cards, whilst Spanish media are reporting a return to Ferrari is possible for the Spaniard.

Alonso drove for Ferrari between 2010 and 2014 before returning to McLaren for the 2015 season. The Spaniard was never able to add to his two World Championships whilst at the Scuderia, the closest he got being the 2012 season when it went down to the final race in Brazil.

Alonso himself recently revealed he held talks with Mercedes about replacing Nico Rosberg, after the one time World Champion retired in 2016. Could the two-time World Champion return to the sport? Here's a look at what the rumours are telling us.

According to Italian media, Corriere Dello Sport, Fernando Alonso is extremely keen to race for Mercedes. The prospect of racing for the Silver Arrows is so good for the Spaniard that he would be happy to work on a bonuses basis.

The prospect of creating an elite pairing of Lewis Hamilton and Alonso is an enticing one not only for Mercedes but for Liberty Media too.

On the other hand Spanish outlet, AS are suggesting a return to Ferrari is a potential option for Alonso. With Sebastian Vettel's future up in the air, the Scuderia could look to replace the German with their former driver. Alonso is only expected to return to the sport if he can secure a competitive car and Ferrari could provide that.

The Spanish television program EL Chiringuito also reported that Alonso is 'closer than ever to a deal with Ferrari'. With Alonso seemingly keen on a return to the pinnacle of motorsport, only time will tell whether the Spaniard will return to the sport.

Will either of these rumours come to fruition?
Old 06-27-2019, 05:36 PM

https://racer.com/2019/06/27/ericsso...li-in-austria/

Marcus Ericsson will drive a 2019 Formula 1 car for the first time during an in-season Pirelli tire test in Austria next week.

The Arrow Schmidt Peterson Motorsports driver has been enjoying a solid debut season in IndyCar so far, but remains the Alfa Romeo reserve driver after losing his race seat with the team over the winter. Ericsson told RACER at Indianapolis last month that he was keen to get time in the 2019 car at some stage, and it has now been confirmed he will be behind the wheel on Tuesday at the Red Bull Ring.

Pirelli is carrying out two days of tire testing following the Austrian Grand Prix, focusing on its 2020 compounds. While Ericsson will drive on the opening day, he will then hand over to race driver Antonio Giovinazzi for Wednesday.

Ericsson is already present at the Red Bull Ring for the race weekend in his reserve driver role, and expects to spend more time at races following the conclusion of the IndyCar season. There are six F1 races following IndyCar’s Monterey finale on September 22, including races in Mexico and Austin on October 27 and November 3 respectively.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:38 PM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/p...lysis/4483500/

The bid to get Formula 1’s tyre specification changed mid-season centres on some teams suffering a perceived ‘double penalty’ by thinner-tread rubber they believe was wrongly introduced.

F1 teams will meet with the FIA and Pirelli on Friday morning in Austria to formally discuss a return to the 0.4mm thicker tread tyres used last year. Seven teams need to be in favour of changing to 2018-spec tyres to push it through, which means those who are eager for it will need to convince teams who have reservations.

Those in favour of changing the tyres include Ferrari, Red Bull, Toro Rosso and Haas, while Mercedes would be expected to not support a change and McLaren has also indicated the 2019 tyres should stay as they are.

The unhappy teams feel there was no need for the thinner-tread to be introduced on safety grounds, as was argued for their use for three races in 2018. One argument is that blistering, which the thinner tread is designed to combat, is not a safety issue as a team suffering from that should just make extra pitstops to change tyres.

However, this was not used to try to stop the thinner-tread tyre being introduced permanently for this year, even after Mercedes won two races and qualified on pole at the events in which the thinner-tread tyres were used in 2018. The counter-argument from teams struggling with the 2019 tyres is that had they been aware of the extent of the issues that have been realised this season, they would have contested the introduction of the new specification earlier.

It is understood that the teams recognised early in the year that their operating temperatures were lower than expected. This has been compounded over eight race weekends across various circuits.

It has not happened at every race, with certain circuits or conditions offering some teams a reprieve in terms of getting the tyres to work consistently. The problem the teams claim to face is not simply an issue of failing to heat the tyres adequately for a qualifying lap, but an inability to reach the required temperatures over many laps.

That is said to be a result of cars with lower peak downforce being left uncompetitive at races where the circuit layout or ambient temperatures have not put enough energy through the tyres. The affected teams feel they are effectively suffering a ‘double penalty’ from this.

The primary consequence is that their cars cannot generate enough grip to extract peak performance.

Secondary to this is the lack of adequate grip causes the car to slide around more and the surface temperature of the tyres spike. This mirrors the consequences of a car working its tyres too hard, when the opposite is the case.

Mercedes has made it clear it is unhappy about the push to change the tyres, and several F1 drivers were split in the build-up to the Austrian Grand Prix weekend.

Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel said: “Obviously Mercedes does a very, very good job and it's up to the others to try to catch up, but certainly it would be an element to try and mix things up.

“We struggled a bit more with this year's tyres to get them to work, to get them into the window for both quali and race and I think there are a couple of other teams and drivers that would agree.”

Nico Hulkenberg, whose Renault team is one that may need convincing, said the principle of changing the tyres during the season is “wrong” and “we all have to stick to them and work with them”.

McLaren’s Carlos Sainz Jr said that his team was neither “happy or unhappy, it’s like we didn't feel the change”.

He added: “So we don't know why there's so much talk about the tyres being massively different if already last year we ran these tyres in a few race and no one really complained a lot.”

Old 06-27-2019, 05:47 PM
AZ Community Team

Why is braking so crucial in F1?

https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/mer...ems-explained/ .
The following users liked this post:
F23A4 (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 10:05 PM
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
[QUOTE=00TL-P3.2;16445470]Doesn't look like we'll be there this year

Dang!
Old 06-30-2019, 09:44 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Honda won their first race since 2006!
The following 2 users liked this post by MSZ:
Chief F1 Fan (07-01-2019), csmeance (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 09:50 AM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts
Terrific race at the Red Bull Ring in Austria today.

Hope the race stewards don't cuck it all up.
The following 2 users liked this post by nanxun:
Chief F1 Fan (07-01-2019), csmeance (06-30-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 08:42 AM
Senior Moderator

I streamed the race while watching the 6 Hour IMSA race at the Glen in the Jack Daniels Club. Max drove an incredible race, pity for Leclerc but that's the way it goes. Best race of the year I thought.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:12 AM

Definitely a more enjoyable event. Glad the stewards left the results as-is. The post-race review they showed definitely weighed it to remain as-is, IMO. He kept the car turned in & didn't appear to overly relax his line to block; checked the mirror on the left once he was through the turn..
Old 07-01-2019, 02:54 PM

Reading around, conspiracy theorists saying MBZ were 'sandbagging'/threw the race.

I can't fathom any scenario where that seems like a logical outcome.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Reading around, conspiracy theorists saying MBZ were 'sandbagging'/threw the race.

There is no way in God's green Earth that MBZ would throw a race, people that say those kinds of things are idiots.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:18 AM

I said about as much.
Every point is worth millions of $$$, and good luck convincing drivers to throw a race, even with a multiple race lead in points.

Team orders are one thing, but tossing a race makes 0 sense. The only 'exception' being Indianapolis, but IIRC that was a tire protest?
Old 07-02-2019, 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator

I said about as much.
Every point is worth millions of $$$, and good luck convincing drivers to throw a race, even with a multiple race lead in points.

Team orders are one thing, but tossing a race makes 0 sense. The only 'exception' being Indianapolis, but IIRC that was a tire protest?
Yes, Indy was a tire issue as the Michelins were not tough enough to handle the high speeds on the front straight as Ralf Schumacher's left rear blew out spinning him into the wall. Spent a lot of $$ to get in a suite for that race with my father for Father's Day only to watch 6 cars take the grid. We ate and left.

TECH TUESDAY: How cooling demands neutralised Mercedes’ threat in Austria

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...WFHBlXM4e.html
Old 07-03-2019, 12:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts

MB not prepared for high temps of Austria seems a bit odd but ferrari is a prime example of how mistakes snowball, esp this year!
Old 07-03-2019, 06:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by icy2
May be going to COTA and Mexico. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:45 AM

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/40494...r-changes.html

Helmut Marko believes that Pierre Gasly will not be replaced mid-season despite the Frenchman's lack of performance so far this season. Having been promoted from Toro Rosso after only one year in the sport, Gasly has struggled to get the necessary results to satisfy Red Bull fans with many of them calling for him to be replaced.

It seems that Gasly won't be replaced mid-season, much like Daniil Kvyat was, but instead given time to improve and develop with the car.

“Pierre (Gasly) works very hard within the team and that is why he is much more often in the simulator," Marko said after the Austrian Grand Prix. "Also at this time and that is why he is not present here now, "

“We also have no plans to replace him with another driver. He works with a young engineer and that doesn't really help either. In addition, he has lost the necessary confidence with the crashes in Barcelona."

“We have also seen a number of strong races from Pierre and we will work together to pull him out. Thinking about the 2020 lineup, we won't do that until September or October."

Gasly will need to start performing soon if he is to hold onto his seat at Red Bull as so far this year he has been totally dominated by his teammate and has not beaten him in a single race this season.

Quick Reply: Formula One: 2019 Season News and Discussion Thread