Formula 4: General News and Discussion Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 09:27 AM

Received 5,291 Likes on 3,625 Posts
Formula 4: General News and Discussion Thread

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...Ulrrxrra3.html

In an F1 career that spanned six years and saw him pick up seven victories, hard-charging Juan Pablo Montoya became a firm fan favourite. And now his son is set to take his first step on the road to F1.

Sebastian Montoya will make his single-seater debut this year after signing for Italian Formula 4 team Prema Powertrain.

The 14-year-old Colombian will contest the full 2020 Italian F4 championship as well as selected races in the German F4 series.

The youngster has been racing in karts in the US and Europe since he was eight, and the team – who also have Michael Schumacher’s son Mick in their ranks – say he has already impressed in his first tests in the F4 car.

“I am very excited to start racing cars and to have the opportunity to race F4 in 2020 with such a great team,” Montoya said.

“Prema is a top team and has all the equipment and people to help me learn and grow as a driver. The competition will be tough but it is better because it will make me challenge myself on and off track.”

Team boss Angelo Rosin added that his new driver could push for honours in his debut year in the series. “We are delighted to welcome Sebastian to the team,” he said. “He is a great addition to our line-up and is already experiencing a positive transition to single seaters.

“For him, this will be a learning year but by what we have seen so far, he can quickly become a leading contender. We cannot wait to get the season started. It will be exciting to work with so many talented young drivers.”