Formula One: 2018 Season News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 07:46 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,498 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
Very interesting article on Alonso's place in F1 history...if you don't like a math heavy read (i.e. logistical regression analysis), this may not be for you. If you do, it's a pretty interesting analysis - https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...on-since-2013/
Thx, interesting analysis.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:51 AM
AZ Community Team

Websters dictionary

Bottas
[bo-tas]
noun
1.) #2 driver at MB F1 race team 2017-8
2.) Wingman, or backing up the #1 driver
Old 07-30-2018, 10:03 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,065 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Websters dictionary

Bottas
[bo-tas]
noun

Old 07-30-2018, 10:48 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Websters dictionary

Bottas
[bo-tas]
noun
Definitely been a tough season for him. Were it not for the Baku DNF, he'd possibly be in the fight with Seb & Lew.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:42 PM

Renault - We stopped listening to Christian Horner years ago

Following criticism from Red Bull at the Hungarian Grand Prix, Renault F1 boss Cyril Abiteboul has said his company has no interest in dealing with their soon-to-be former engine partners any more.

Max Verstappen launched an expletive-laden rant at Renault after his early retirement in Budapest. That prompted Christian Horner to say Red Bull, which will switch to Honda power in 2019, is not getting what it pays for from its current engine supplier, adding: "I'll wait to hear Cyril's excuses later."

Abiteboul and Horner have a frosty relationship and have clashed repeatedly during the V6 turbo era, which started with the introduction of the new engines in 2014. Despite coming into that season having won four consecutive world championship titles together, Red Bull-Renault has claimed just 11 race victories in the five years since.

Responding to Horner's most recent comments, Abiteboul told Autosport: "Our bosses have stopped reading what Christian Horner is saying about us since 2015. It's very clear that we don't want to have any dealings with them any more. It's very clear it's done.

"They will have their engine partner that will be paying a hell of a lot of money to get their product on board, and I wish them good luck. I have nothing else to say."

On Monday, Verstappen, who had also labelled Renault "completely s---" when talking to German TV after the race, rowed back on his own criticism, explaining that he was simply frustrated in the heat of the moment.

Looking back on yesterday the disappointment is still there. However, I should not have used the words I did in the heat of the moment. Emotions were running high after a good start to the race. These frustrations came for a reason, after another unexpected engine failure which have been happening too often over the past few years. We came to Budapest with high expectations and not being able to be competitive made it hard to swallow for us. I will go into the summer break hoping we will be back stronger after it.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:04 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Old 07-31-2018, 08:12 AM

2019 Prototype Front Wings

From Hungary testing:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-ontrack-debut

Williams, Force India and Red Bull provided a first on-track glimpse at Formula 1's 2019 front wing regulations on the opening morning of the two-day test in Hungary.

The two teams had publicly declared their intent to run experimental front wings at the Hungaroring and opted to do so immediately on Tuesday morning.

Both completed multiple laps with the new device, which is 200mm wider and 25mm deeper and features less complicated endplates and wing elements.

The Red Bull and Force India designs featured four flaps above the main wing plane, with long, slightly curved endplates, making it an in-wash front wing.

This stops teams being able to push the air around the outside of the tyre.

The Williams wing had similar endplates but four flaps above a main plane that splits in two either side of the middle, similar to its 2018 design.

Turning vanes were absent from both, as dictated by the incoming rules, which are intended to make it easier for cars to follow each other more closely than has been possible in 2017 and 2018.

Red Bull kept its run plan simple with Daniel Ricciardo completing an outlap at the beginning of the day, while Williams tasked Oliver Rowland tasked with multiple outlaps.

Nicholas Latifi completed several outlaps before conducting a low-speed multi-lap run, seven seconds off the pace, with aero rakes attached.

The teams will be looking to get baseline data from these runs so they can correlate their simulation work back at the factory.

This morning's test started with all nine participating teams hitting the track early.

Brendon Hartley set the early pace for Toro Rosso on a 1m20.306s, ahead of McLaren's Lando Norris and Sauber's Marcus Ericsson.

Antonio Giovinazzi (Ferrari), Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull), Nico Hulkenberg (Renault) and George Russell (Mercedes) are also driving on Tuesday, while Toro Rosso has a second car for Formula 2 racer Sean Gelael to conduct Pirelli tyre testing.

Haas is absent from the test as it did not feel it was its best use of resources.

The following users liked this post:
Legend2TL (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 09:44 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
They are still more complex than I anticipated they would be. I figured we were giong back to the single or double blade wings from years ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by CCColtsicehockey:
Chief F1 Fan (07-31-2018), ttribe (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 10:01 AM
AZ Community Team

I'm OK with the 2019 front wings except they're too wide, the 1.8m current spec would look better but removing the vortex management from the end sections should make overtaking easier.

Kimi still amazes me on his nonchalant approach to being a #2 to Vettel, he's 3rd in points and relatively stays out of trouble, consistently getting on the podiums with lots of points with little fanfare.
He may lose his seat in 2019, but he's proving to be still a very capable driver at 38.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-31-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:17 PM

Him being third in points is just another reason why I think Ferrari would be smarter to keep him again next year. Require Haas to give LeClerc a seat so he can race and challenge for the best of the rest the next two years. Then after that give him the Ferrari seat. Some of the Sky commentontators even mentioned there is a rumor floating around of exactly that. Of all the years Kimi has been Vettels partner so far I think he is doing the best this year.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:46 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...l-war/3152310/

Despite all its efforts so far, Liberty has failed to convince Renault, McLaren or Williams to sign up to an agreement that would effectively hand Force India a cash lifeline.

Under terms of the bilateral agreements between the teams and F1’s commercial rights holders (still commonly referred to as the Concorde Agreement), a team emerging from administration (Force India’s current status) is regarded as a new entity and can only retain its prize money rights of its former guise if all teams agree.

As of now Renault, McLaren and Williams steadfastly refuse to do so.

On the surface, this looks a shameless piece of opportunism, to kick a rival when it’s down. However, word in the paddock is that neither spite nor money is at the heart of this matter, but their real concern is that Force India is being teed up by Mercedes to become a so-called ‘slave team’.

They feel this would serve to increase the power base of one of the sport’s two major manufacturers to their detriment and that of the sport in general.

Some within the paddock believe that Ferrari and Mercedes have pushed the boundaries of second-string teams far enough, and that Mercedes playing a central role in a Force India takeover would add further strength to the dominance of the German manufacturer in F1 matters.

Force India’s recently strong on-track performances haven’t been matched by its financial situation. Owner Vijay Mallya has faced well-documented legal issues in India, as has his investment partner Sahara Group.

A technical supplier recently launched a winding-up order against the Silverstone-based team, which could have triggered insolvency.

So the move into the safety net of administration followed an action led by driver Sergio Perez. A High Court judge ruled in favour of that on Friday, with FRP Advisory being appointed to see what can be done for creditors and secure the future of the team.

The last two F1 teams to fail – Caterham and Manor – both went into administration, but failed to emerge with a credible buyer. Although the most recent Manor effort was born after Marussia was rescued from administration at the start of 2015 (you might also recall that Force India attempted to block it from using a 2014 car).

Force India’s value – having finished fourth in the past two seasons in the constructors’ championship – is much higher in the eyes of potential purchasers.

Unless Liberty can get unanimity from the teams, something in the region of $70million in prize money will be precluded from any deal. To put that in context, that’s at least half of the team’s entire yearly budget.

Worse than that, the way that F1’s prize fund works is that the team would need to finished in the top 10 for two of the next three years to qualify for any money at all. That in effect means no prize income until 2021 – unless, again, the other teams agree.

You might think that, as the owner of F1, Liberty could simply appropriate the funds as it sees fit. But the Concorde bilateral agreements are complex documents that allow no room for manoeuvre, so perhaps its only recourse would be to make a one-off ‘bail out’ payment to make up for the shortfall. However, this would set a dangerous precedent.

One F1 insider has likened the scale of this crisis to the global financial crash of 2008, and points out that it took for banking giant Lehman Brothers to collapse before emergency plans were put in place that prompted an industry-wide recovery.

As of today, it seems that Renault, McLaren and Williams are ready to play hardball in defence of their own positions in the sport – and that a Lehman-style collapse of a rival may be viewed as a price worth paying to achieve that.

It’s an unpleasant spot for them to be in too, but it’s clearly a case of fighting your own corner or rolling over and risking your own demise. To complicate matters yet further, Williams is a customer of Mercedes – and just last week was reported to be discussing an increase to its deal to include gearboxes.

But the prospect of Force India (or whatever name it takes on in future) having concrete ties to the works team would surely weaken Williams’ position. Unless there’s some more bargaining to be done…

Ron Dennis famously welcomed Eddie Jordan to the ‘Piranha Club’ when he joined F1 in 1991. Throughout the sport’s history, the paddock predators have seemed ready and willing to turn on one of their own for the sake of what they see is the greater good.

This time, however, the cost wouldn’t be small fry – but Jordan's 'old' team, the most successful midfield outfit of recent times.

Can Liberty really allow that to happen?
Old 08-02-2018, 09:29 AM

They need to do something. F1 can't afford to lose another team and drop below 20 cars. Especially one that has been so successful in the midfield. These teams need to allow the sale to happen. Some sort of agreement to allow them to get prize money before 2021 needs to be made. Maybe make them race one year with no prize money or something that the new owner has to deal with but a possible 3 seasons with no prize money I would imagine would put off almost all if not all buyers at this point. Even if someone did buy them with that in mind it would pretty much relegate them to the back of the grid unless they do some type of Haas/Ferrari deal with Merc. They need to figure out how to grow the grid not make it smaller.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:54 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

That's one of the most frustrating thing about F1. Price for entry is too high. Back in the day, you can just show up at the track. Television deals and income distribution is making everything too complex.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:42 PM

Kimi Raikkonen waiting on Ferrari before deciding F1 future | Autoweek

Kimi Raikkonen is still waiting to hear if he has a job driving for Ferrari F1 in 2019.

Not long ago, an Italian newspaper reported that Ferrari leadership was ready to replace Raikkonen with Charles Leclerc. However, that was before the death of then Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne. It is believed the new management now thinks Raikkonen should be retained as Sebastian Vettel's teammate.

Other reports have Raikkonen returning to Sauber to close out his F1 career.

"Of course I would like to stay, but it's Ferrari's decision alone," Raikkonen told European media outlet Sport Bild. "I'm waiting just as much as you are."

Raikkonen, 38, said he works well alongside Vettel and has no problem playing second fiddle to the four-time Formula 1 champion.

"Even if we crash, there's no issue after a conversation," Raikkonen said. "He's a guy who will say it's his mistake and I'm the same. It's much better to work in that atmosphere, and it also makes the car faster. We both have the same goal -- to make Ferrari world champion."

Raikkonen hinted that he knows team orders are part of the job at Ferrari, especially if Vettel has a better chance of winning the title.

"At a certain point in the world championship, the team takes precedence," Raikkonen said. "I did not arrive yesterday."
Old 08-02-2018, 02:21 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

A pragmatic F1 driver? Now that's pretty rare. Raikkonen's in a different spot though, as he already has a world championship and he doesn't need to prove anything.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:40 PM

In my opinion they seem to be the two teammates that get along the best out of any of the teams. And they are currently 2nd and 3rd in the points. I can't see any reason to change that right now. Unless they feel that LeClerc could bring home a championship himself already which I just don't see. Other than bringing in Ricciardo I can't see anyone worth replacing Kimi but there would not be team harmony then.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,862 Likes on 3,482 Posts
I wondered what happened to Lauda

He hasn't been present the last couple GP's and was reported as having "flu" problems.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...ransplant.html
Old 08-03-2018, 08:14 AM
AZ Community Team

Daniel Ricciardo makes Renault switch from Red Bull for 2019

Noooooooooooo!

I like Ricciardo

Hard decision, more money and leave Newey/Horner/RedBull but Honda power for Renault that are restructuring the team now (Bob Bell is taking a lesser role).

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-03-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:40 AM

Saw that this morning as well. Looking at this season, it looks like a step backward. IMO, Daniel is a great driver, patient & a great late braker. Hopefully Renault ups their competitiveness next season; would hate to see Daniel drop in standings because of the move.
I'd seen just the headline that he was leaving RBR & my first thought was Ferrari, but I also didn't see him & Seb making a great team together.

Now the question becomes, who gets #2 at RBR?

To the above comment on Raikkonen, I agree that he & Seb make possibly the best pair on the grid, but I think that's in part due to Kimi being ok with being #2 in the team. Pretty much every other team, both guys are fighting for #1. I think HAM/BOT make a good team, no bad blood like there always seemed to be with HAM/ROS. Max & Daniel seem to get along well off the track as well, but I can see how Daniel would be over Max getting what seems to be the majority of the attention/focus.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:48 AM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Noooooooooooo!

I like Ricciardo

Hard decision, more money and leave Newey/Horner/RedBull but Honda power for Renault that are restructuring the team now (Bob Bell is taking a lesser role).
GULP. for Dani Ricc .... and Renault.

What does this mean for Gasly, Carlos Sainz, Jr., etc.?
Old 08-03-2018, 09:10 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

It's natural for Sainz to take the Red Bull seat.

I'm curious, how can Ricciardo make this move when he's in Las Vegas today? Is he going to cut his road trip short now?

The following 2 users liked this post by F-C:
00TL-P3.2 (08-03-2018), Chief F1 Fan (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 09:57 AM
Race Director

Who should replace Ricciardo at Red Bull?

https://www.planetf1.com/news/who-wi...o-at-red-bull/

Why Ricciardo’s obvious replacement may not get the gig

On the face of it, Daniel Ricciardo’s shock move to Renault for the 2019 F1 season could be expected to have only a limited impact on the driver market.

In the shape of Carlos Sainz Jnr Red Bull has an obvious replacement in waiting. Last October Red Bull team principal Christian Horner described him as the team’s “safety net” in case Ricciardo walked.

Sainz did a superb job last year, scoring all bar five of Toro Rosso’s 53 points before being loaned out to Renault, where he’s been ever since. With Ricciardo now on his way to the French manufacturer, the obvious move for Red Bull is to recall the 23-year-old and give him his shot in a front-running team.

But when Red Bull responded to the news of Ricciardo’s impending departure, which RaceFans broke this morning, there was no confirmation of a place for Sainz:

“We will now continue to evaluate the numerous options available to us before deciding on which driver partners Max Verstappen for the 2019 season,” said team principal Christian Horner.

[...]
https://www.racefans.net/2018/08/03/...e-2019-season/
Old 08-03-2018, 10:09 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
He hasn't been present the last couple GP's and was reported as having "flu" problems.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...ransplant.html

Three-time Formula 1 world champion Niki Lauda is recovering after undergoing a successful lung transplant. According to reports, the 69-year-old was flown to Vienna for treatment after becoming ill while vacationing in Ibiza. Local media had previously reported that he had been hospitalized, but the Vienna General Hospital confirmed the transplant in a statement in Thursday. “Due to a severe lung disease Niki Lauda had to undergo a lung transplantation at the AKH Vienna today,” it read. “The transplantation was successfully performed by Walter Klepetko, Head of the Clinical Department of Thoracic Surgery, and Konrad Hötzenecker. We ask for your understanding that the family will not make any public statements and request the privacy of the Lauda family.” Lauda, who previously required kidney transplants in 1997 and 2005, is a non-executive chairman of the Mercedes Formula 1 team, and owns a percentage of the team. He suffered injuries to his lungs in his near-fatal crash at the 1976 German Grand Prix.
I guessing that what happened in the German Grand Prix caused this.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:59 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

McLaren says that they were close to signing Ricciardo. Hmmm, doesn't look good for Vandoorne.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Alonso to RBR!!
Old 08-04-2018, 06:35 AM
Senior Moderator

A prank call to Horner??

Yeah, not so much:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/horner...joking-report/
Old 08-04-2018, 06:48 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Look who's laughing now.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:55 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by F-C
It's natural for Sainz to take the Red Bull seat.

I'm curious, how can Ricciardo make this move when he's in Las Vegas today? Is he going to cut his road trip short now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=ld7c6ZO4n2A

Anyone know if that's the RB8 or RB9 in the vid? Did Dani Ricc ever actually drive that car competitively?

Alonso to RBR would be bonkers!!! My guess is that Gasly gets the seat ... and that Sainz goes to McLaren, where there'd be an all-Spanish line-up?
Old 08-04-2018, 09:27 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by nanxun
Anyone know if that's the RB8 or RB9 in the vid? Did Dani Ricc ever actually drive that car competitively?

Alonso to RBR would be bonkers!!! My guess is that Gasly gets the seat ... and that Sainz goes to McLaren, where there'd be an all-Spanish line-up?
I seriously doubt that's Ricciardo. Notice his face isn't in any actual location shots.

Super cool video though.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:05 AM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm also guessing Gasly gets the RB seat and Sainz goes to McLaren, but not sure who his teammate will be. The James Key thing kind of muddies things a bit.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:44 AM
Race Director

Verstappen opposes Sainz reunion at Red Bull

According to Spanish daily Marca, the Verstappen camp is very much against the idea of reuniting the Dutchman and current Renault man.

Verstappen’s negative view of the Spaniard could see Pierre Gasly get his shot with the senior Red Bull team.

If that was to be the case, then Sainz could find refuge over at McLaren, where Zak Brown has already partly opened the door.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/versta...n-at-red-bull/
Old 08-05-2018, 08:54 AM
Race Director

Good piece on Leclerc and the difference between F2 and F1 (continuous development).

The breakthrough which made Leclerc F1’s new star of 2018

Just two races into the new Formula 1 season, Sauber team principal Frederic Vasseur faced some searching questions over the performance of his new driver Charles Leclerc.

The 20-year old had arrived in F1 amid a blaze of hype, being the first driver ever to win back-to-back GP3 and F2 titles. But Marcus Ericsson, Leclerc’s little-heralded team mate who had gone two years without scoring a point, showed him the way in the opening rounds.

Ericsson delivered the team’s first points of the year in Bahrain. Leclerc, meanwhile, tried an aggressive strategy which failed to pay off.

When the teams arrived in Shanghai four days later, Vasseur was quizzed on whether beating a driver of Leclerc’s reputation emboldening Ericsson. The suggestion was shut down firmly.

“Don’t take some strong position like this that yesterday one was nowhere and now is the superstar and Charles now is dominated by Marcus,” said Vasseur. “It’s not like this and real life is not like this.”

He was right. But four months on the opposite is now true: Leclerc is dominating Ericsson. In the nine-race run from China to Germany he out-qualified the team’s senior driver every time, by a crushing average of three-quarters of a second – and that’s generously excluding Ericsson’s Baku effort where he couldn’t get a clear lap in.

At one stage there were even rumours Leclerc would take the place of Kimi Raikkonen at Ferrari in time for the next race at Spa. Since then tragic events have forced Ferrari to concentrate on other priorities, but it’s a reflection of the esteem in which he is held by the Scuderia.

What was behind Leclerc’s initial struggles and rapid improvement? Vasseur, who has worked with him since he was in karts, said the pair spoke often before the season began about how significant the gap in performance and complexity is between F2 and F1.

“He was fully aware that the situation won’t be easy because there’s a huge step between Formula Two and Formula One, that he had to discover the fuel management and so on in the first races,” said Vasseur. “It’s never easy to do it. He knew that it won’t be so easy.”

But even before the opening series of flyaway races was done with, Leclerc was making huge gains. His troubled start to the opening races was quickly forgotten.

“Many people are telling me it was a smooth start,” said Leclerc. “But I remember that after the third race actually people were saying it was a difficult start. Which was probably true.

“I struggled in the first three races, there was a lot of new things to me. But I probably did not expect things to go well as quickly. From Baku onwards we really did a big step up and we kept that performance. That very sudden step, probably I did not expect.”

Understanding how to work with his engineers to extract more performance from the car has been a major part of his development, said Leclerc.

“Everything is so new that you need to take a little bit the rhythm of the weekends, of how to work with your engineers, of what to ask to the car which is very important.

“Driving is one thing but what you ask to the car, or what you ask to the engineer to do on the car is also extremely important and I think I did a big step on that after the first three races and that has helped me also to improve the driving on an easier car to drive. I think it was a bit of a combination of everything that made a step up.”

As a Ferrari development driver, Leclerc has been able to use the team’s simulator to practice tracks he hasn’t driven on yet. And of course it helps enormously that Sauber’s C37, with a current-specification Ferrari power unit which now appears to be F1’s class-leader, is a much more competitive prospect than the team’s 2017 car.

However as Leclerc points out the young driver ladder does little to prepare new F1 drivers for one of the most important aspects of their job: helping the team make their car faster.

“When you start in Formula Renault until Formula Two the car is completely fixed in terms of development. So you only really have to do the set-ups, and the set-up more come from the year before.

“So you just arrive on the track, you take the car they give you, and then you work on the set-up. In terms of developing the car and having a future vision for the car and what to add on the car to go quicker, this is something completely new to me. But we have also very good engineers that know what are the weaknesses of the car and what we need to improve.”

Another aspect of this has been learning that in F1 having a well-balanced car is not necessarily the same thing as having a quick car.

“I find it quite difficult actually for the driver because in junior categories it’s about the balance of the car, because when you have the right balance, everyone has the same cars, so you are going quick.

“In Formula 1 you can have a really good balance but if the actual package is not good enough it’s difficult then to find the real weaknesses of the car. This is something I’ll probably learn with years.”

The results have been there for all to see since it ‘clicked’ for Leclerc. He’s the only Sauber driver to reach Q3, which he’s done three times. He’s scored 13 of the team’s 18 points. And he’s seldom been found wanting in wheel-to-wheel battle, even when up against the likes of Fernando Alonso.

With Leclerc widely expected to gain a Ferrari promotion for the 2019 F1 season, Vasseur now gets asked very different questions about his young star. “I would like just to remind you that all of you were around the table in China and you were quite discouraged with the level of Charles,” he jokingly reminded journalists during the Austrian Grand Prix weekend.

The Sauber team principal now has the opposite task of containing expectations about F1’s emerging talent. “I think we have to take it calm. He is doing a good job, for sure, he is improving.

“But he’s not world champion and you have to do step by step and I don’t want to be in a situation that if he has some issues in the next races – and he will have because you can’t have a clean sheet all the season – I don’t want to have Charles destroyed by everybody that he’s not world champion.

“He has to improve. He has a very good learning curve. He’s ramping up. I’m very happy and very proud of the job done but he’s not world champion.”

Not yet, but on the strength of his first half-season the ingredients are clearly there.
https://www.racefans.net/2018/08/05/...new-star-2018/
Old 08-06-2018, 06:28 AM
Race Director

Details on Dani Ricc’s decision...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...hoice/3154747/
Old 08-06-2018, 08:12 AM
AZ Community Team

A few reasons Riccairdo I'm guessing made the switch
  1. $26M/yr or 3-4x what he as currently making at RBR (although would have probably gotten a decent bump from RBR for 19-20)
  2. #1 status in the team
  3. Nico's a easier teammate than Max

The big disadvantage is no RBR team, Newey and Horner which if Honda PU is competitive could be great combo if they get it working.
Bob Bell is taking a lesser role at Renault so it remains to be seen what Renault will have for 19-20 in term sof chassis, and their PU has been lacking in development comapred to MB and Ferrari.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:31 AM
Race Director

A few reasons Riccairdo I'm guessing made the switch
  1. $26M/yr or 3-4x what he as currently making at RBR (although would have probably gotten a decent bump from RBR for 19-20)
  2. #1 status in the team
  3. Nico's a easier teammate than Max
The big disadvantage is no RBR team, Newey and Horner which if Honda PU is competitive could be great combo if they get it working.
Bob Bell is taking a lesser role at Renault so it remains to be seen what Renault will have for 19-20 in term sof chassis, and their PU has been lacking in development comapred to MB and Ferrari.
As the story I posted (which I now realize is behind a paywall--sorry) made note of, RBR mgmt had agreed to Ricciardo's request for a straight 1-year deal for 2019 (which would allow him flexibility to move if a MBZ or SF seat became available in 2020) and had raised his salary to equal that of Max--that is, somewhere in the range of $10-12 million/yr.

Apparently, that was not enough. My fingers are crossed for Dani Ricc and the Renault team, especially since I also like the Hulk.

I'm also wondering what will happen to Leclerc now that Sergio has passed?

Last edited by nanxun; 08-06-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:12 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by nanxun
As the story I posted (which I now realize is behind a paywall--sorry) made note of, RBR mgmt had agreed to Ricciardo's request for a straight 1-year deal for 2019 (which would allow him flexibility to move if a MBZ or SF seat became available in 2020) and had raised his salary to equal that of Max--that is, somewhere in the range of $10-12 million/yr.

Apparently, that was not enough. My fingers are crossed for Dani Ricc and the Renault team, especially since I also like the Hulk.

I'm also wondering what will happen to Leclerc now that Sergio has passed?
RBR, although a fun team to work for (even Daniil Kvyat agrees!) are know to be frugal on driver salaries.
Horner believes in investing more money into technical side vs drivers, great technical facilities and Newey supposedly makes ~$10M/yr
I was surprised it was Renault, as I kinda expected him if Dani left RBR it would be for MB.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:57 AM

If Vettel can somehow win a WC in the next two years I think he retires and in 2021 we have Dani Ricc and LeClerc at Ferrari.

For next season I know it is a long shot but I would really like to see Alonso fill that vacant Red Bull seat. Would be nice to see him get one more go around in a competitive car. I really believe the Red Bull Honda could be a masterpiece next year to take on Ferrari/Merc. Imagine a battle at the front between Alonso/Hamilton/Vettel. I mean one can dream right
Old 08-06-2018, 10:12 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
If Vettel can somehow win a WC in the next two years I think he retires and in 2021 we have Dani Ricc and LeClerc at Ferrari.

For next season I know it is a long shot but I would really like to see Alonso fill that vacant Red Bull seat. Would be nice to see him get one more go around in a competitive car. I really believe the Red Bull Honda could be a masterpiece next year to take on Ferrari/Merc. Imagine a battle at the front between Alonso/Hamilton/Vettel. I mean one can dream right
All of this--Vettel winning his 5th WC, Dani Ricc and Leclerc at SF, a battle royale btwn Alonso/LCH/Seb--would be great. But Alonso + Honda?? I just can't imagine it. Still, it'd be fun to watch.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:52 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Can't imagine Red Bull signing Alonso. They almost always promote from within.

Can't fault Ricciardo for signing with Renault if he really is getting that much from Renault. He's 29, so if he can get guaranteed money from Renault for the next few years, he should take it. It would be different if Red Bull Honda was a sure thing, but it isn't.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

If there's one guy on the grid who can absolutely take a car up to the next level and beyond it's Alonso. That McLaren has no business being up where it is unless he's driving it. I'd bet there's only 2 other drivers who might be able to get it up there and that's LH and SV, maybe.